THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 05:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 22-26 November 2010 (Thanksgiving Week/1800-1805/Aftermath of the Breakup)  (Read 145594 times)

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website

Boomslang

Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

Delator

• In my own little world

Probably just me, but Marten's face and dialogue in panel two has me thinking that he's far more upset about this than he's let on. It has me wondering when the other shoe will drop for him.

Panel three has me hopeful that we might see future musical collaboration between Sven and Marten, which would be a neat direction for the comic to go regardless of the current relationship drama.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Sigh*  The best that could be said about Sven's comment in the last panel is that he meant well.

Only Sven would make a comment like that - and only mean it to mean "I'm there for ya bro."
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

Probably just me, but Marten's face and dialogue in panel two has me thinking that he's far more upset about this than he's let on. It has me wondering when the other shoe will drop for him.
Glad I'm not the only one feeling this. I predict much drink in the boy's future. Possibly followed by rage.
Quis pater tibi est?

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

Around 7 pages or so (not going to go back to quote... meh) said that they hoped that Jeph would introduce a new character for Martin to hook up with. I really hope that does not happen; aside from it feeling a bit too deus ex machina I also feel like the cast is a bit bloated already. I want to find out more about Dale/Angus/Cosette/whoever else we know little about.

Honestly, I hope that Martin stays single for a while. A happy/healthy single, not the previously seen pathetic!desperate!Martin. It seems to me that Martin needs to discover that it is possible to be open to the possibility of a romantic partner without needing someone desperately just for the sake of having someone.

A few side comments, just to get all my thoughtvomit out in one post:

1) I really liked Faye in yesterdays comic, I've been kind of meh about Faye before this but if she keeps up this sort of thing I might become a Faye Fan.

2)Yay to see Sven! I think that he's been a bit misjudged by a lot of the QC fandom, although I'm not going to dispute his status of playboy. I'll admit, I'm rooting for Sven/Marigold fling. I'm not sure I'd want it to last forever, but think there's a lot that they could teach each other.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Sven's unorthodox way of comforting a depressed friend reminds me of another guy's failed attempt at solace.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Mojo

Glad I'm not the only one feeling this. I predict much drink in the boy's future. Possibly followed by rage.

I think he's in rage mode now.  He doesn't seem mopey, he's bitter.  Mopey is yet to come.

foozlesprite

• Not quite a lurker

Where's the alternate comic where Sven offers himself up to be Marten's meaningless rebound?  After all, we know Marten loves Sven's butt.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Hanners?: sorrysorrysorrysorrysosososorry -panic attack-

On twitter the day it happened:
hanneloreEC oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no #panicattack #sadfriends #everythingisawful #hashtags #aaa
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Delator

• In my own little world

I think he's in rage mode now.  He doesn't seem mopey, he's bitter.  Mopey is yet to come.

I don't think it's rage, I think currently it's just numb shock.

I get the feeling that any "rage-moment" we see from Marten will be as epically opposite from his original characterization as Faye's interaction with Dora in the previous strip.

It won't be pretty...
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 00:21 by Delator »
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Yeah, he's going to snap and completly lay into somebody.

I'm betting it'll be Hannelore.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

Yeah, he's going to snap and completly lay into somebody.

I'm betting it'll be Hannelore.

Awwwww why you gotta pick on Hanners?  :-P

Although I could see that happening unfortunately...Everyone offering sympathy for Marten, Hanners comes over to offer her sympathies, Marten is sick of it and snaps.
There is no save button when it comes to ladies!

akronnick

And then she cries and he totally fells guilty about it and everyone tries to tell him that it wasn't his fault but he just can't stop beating up on himself.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

And then she cries and he totally fells guilty about it and everyone tries to tell him that it wasn't his fault but he just can't stop beating up on himself.

Wow...that's really depressing, and very probable.

I am gonna go eat some cheesecake now.

TheEvilDog

Oh Sven. You will never change, you-well-meaning-stick-your-foot-in-your-mouth-without-realising-it-man-whore.

And somehow, I think Marten won't snap at Hanners, too easy. No, I think it might Tai that faces Hurricane Reed, just a sudden flash of all the times she kinda flirted with Dora or said she wished Dora was her girlfriend.

Although, I'm still hoping we see Marten, not Dora, head off on some sort of a read trip. Maybe head home to California or to Florida. Hilarity ensues.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 01:09 by TheEvilDog »

Shadic

• Shadic's Website

Yeah, he's going to snap and completly lay into somebody.I'm betting it'll be Hannelore.
With his peeennniiiiissssss.  :mrgreen:

*Shadic does not actually ship that couple, nor any couple in specific.*

Arky

• Plantmonster

Ah Sven.  I'd say "never change" but good luck with that :)

To paraphrase Faye "I am imagining Marten getting Sven to hook him up with slutty girls.  It is delightfully implausible!".

Also, imagine Dora's face if Sven told her he'd offered to pimp out slutty girls to Marten for re-bound sex.  I KNOW!  Isn't it hilarious?

Good funny one to lead us into Turkey Day!

(meanwhile, today's Gunnerkrigg Court features Annie going totally emotional sadist, so good thing QC came through with the laughs!)

AnAverageWriter

Although I could see that happening unfortunately...Everyone offering sympathy for Marten, Hanners comes over to offer her sympathies, Marten is sick of it and snaps.

Lordy, I hope not.

This last series of strips has been really depressing, and it's a dark uber-cold winter here to boot. More angry-ness and yelling and snapping would just bring it down further.

I'd rather have a week of Turkeys or Yelling Bird or a Marigold marathon.

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

Lordy, I hope not.

This last series of strips has been really depressing, and it's a dark uber-cold winter here to boot. More angry-ness and yelling and snapping would just bring it down further.

I'd rather have a week of Turkeys or Yelling Bird or a Marigold marathon.

Marigold marathon would be awesome, just her dancing all week. Awesome.

Yeah I hope he doesn't snap at her either. I was just being silly. It would make me sad if he snapped at her.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

So its settled.

Marten and Dora have split.

Still my favorite comic of them: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1515

What happened to the poll option, anyway ?
Carpe Diem

Manix

• Balloon animal serial killer

I've been thinking about Dora's whole situation lately. When she starts seeing Dr. Corinne, her family weill probably be the main subject. Her whole problem can basically be summe dup with this idea, that deep down she doesn't think that anyone could ever REALLY like her for her, and this whole problem stems from Sven. Dora said in one of the old strips that many of her friends throughout school only pretended to like her in order to get to Sven (she mentions something about having sleepovers where her guests ended the night sneaking up to Sven's room to make out). She has been living under this misconception for so long that she's now actually trying to bring it to fruition. As happy as she was with Marten, she could never let go of the idea that he really wanted Faye.

I tend to think her parents were something of a problem as well, (though this may be just me) as both of them strike me as being fairly shallow people, and probably did nothing when Dora brought this whole situation to them (if she ever did).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Now the real question: how many times will Jeph have the turkeys make fun of forum-goers?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

AnAverageWriter

Marigold marathon would be awesome, just her dancing all week. Awesome.

Yes.

That would...   indeed be...   Totally AwesomeTM.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Now the real question: how many times will Jeph have the turkeys make fun of forum-goers?

I expect something similar to that dude hopelessly in love with Hannelore. Not worse. Jeph is live to the fact that the forum-goers are probably (mostly?) also his most loyal paying customers. Why insult us all collectively? An open-to-interpretation pun that may make some :oops: and leaves some oblivious works much better  :roll: looks left ... looks right.... not that I would feel at all proud about my own conduct here

Oh, I almost forgot to add a psyduck :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 05:01 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What happened to the poll option, anyway ?
When I put this together Sunday, I really didn't want to have a poll in case the thread got weird like last week's.

However, I did put out a "special" poll-only thread over here.

And yes: MORE PSYDUCK :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Oh and just a random though.  Dora's counselor should be the guy from the Geico commercials.

You mean R. Lee Ermey (don't think I spelled it right)? Honestly, that would be disasterous in a way that would be oh so very awesome!

Just picture the group therapy session..."Alright you maggots, you think you're good enough to be MY clients?"  and the rest of the FMJ opening speech.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

akronnick

Why insult us all collectively?

Because we deserve it...

And because Jeph knows we'd keep reading anyway.

And because most of us would get a kick out of it, and the ones who would be offended can, well, their so vain, they probably think this song is about them, if you know what I mean.

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.

I've been trying to figure out how Tai will react to the breakup. Is she going to be comforting/sympathetic or "woo hoo, i'm off to CoD"? It'll be big negative points for her if she does.
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

someone1074

akronnick, that's the second time I've seen you collectively speak for the entire forum in a negative fashion.

Maybe you and the Dick Knights are nutty, but the rest had nothing to do with the clusterfuck that was the last WCT.

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication

We can always count on Sven to be there to...make the situation even more f*$#ed up than how it should be.   :-P :psyduck: :laugh:

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

akronnick, that's the second time I've seen you collectively speak for the entire forum in a negative fashion.

Maybe you and the Dick Knights are nutty, but the rest had nothing to do with the clusterfuck that was the last WCT.

It is not just the last WCT dogg  :psyduck:

It is all our behavior on these forums

It is the shipping and the psychoanalysis and the taking shit way too seriously

It is the reason this forum glows with an unhealthy plutonium glow to members of the rest of Jeph's forums. Men in cleansuits warn them away, saying "NO, MAN, IT'S DANGEROUS IN THERE, THE FANDOM LEVELS ARE WAY TOO FUCKIN HIGH. DON'T THROW YOUR LIFE AWAY, YOU'RE YOUNG"

That being said dang I kinda have to agree with the idea that Marten is not done with the emotional overreaction. Hell, I don't think Dora is either. We are gonna see some aftershocks, here, of many types. I predict much hurt feelings for everyone.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

someone1074

Ah, my bad, I should have mentioned that his first post speaking to that specifically referred to the last WCT. Something along the lines of "After the last WCT, we deserve whatever insults Jeph throws our way". And I have to disagree. Especially since that was mostly from a wild and vocal minority.

pinch

• Not quite a lurker
  • Wham

QC IS SRS BIZZNIS

Not quite I guess, but I think that most of the fans have been reading a long time and thus connections with the characters have grown pretty personal.

Besides, we live in a day when half of your relationships are online and never see or speak to the people physically- so it's a natural step that online fiction could play a similar relationship role as a real person.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 06:55 by pinch »

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Why insult us all collectively?

Because we deserve it...

Quite.

And because Jeph knows we'd keep reading anyway.

And because most of us would get a kick out of it, and the ones who would be offended can, well, their so vain, they probably think this song is about them, if you know what I mean.

Meep.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

flamingo

• Plantmonster

Am I the only one who thought (for a millisecond) Sven was about to say "And if you need some meaningless rebound sex, I'm always here for ya"?

someone1074

Nope, it's been brought up earlier in the topic and others (including myself) read it that way for a moment.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

2)Yay to see Sven! I think that he's been a bit misjudged by a lot of the QC fandom, although I'm not going to dispute his status of playboy. I'll admit, I'm rooting for Sven/Marigold fling. I'm not sure I'd want it to last forever, but think there's a lot that they could teach each other.
I was trying to figure out what Marigold could teach Sven and drawing a blank. Then I remembered that Blizzard just dropped that new world-changing patch so I guess Mari could teach him how to respec his hunter (Because we all know that's what Sven would play).
Quis pater tibi est?

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster

Am I the only one who thought (for a millisecond) Sven was about to say "And if you need some meaningless rebound sex, I'm always here for ya"?

Would have been the best slip of the tongue ever.

...Pun intended.  Pun.  Intended.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

...I think that most of the fans have been reading a long time and thus connections with the characters have grown pretty personal.

And a lot of the WCDT havoc was wreaked by "long time lurkers" who just managed to get on board because the notifocation email got fixed that week.  Nothing screams louder than someone who hasn't have a voice for a very long time...

Not that I'm placing blame, mind you.  Chaos ensued, and there were a great many participants swept up in it, old and new.  Stupid things were said and done across the board.  But I did notice that several of the shouting matches were originating from posters with single or low double digits.  It takes practice to actually think about what you've written before hitting "Post".  

It's a bit quieter and more respectful in here, now.  I think some of the chaff blew away.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Varian7

• Emoticontraindication

I was trying to figure out what Marigold could teach Sven and drawing a blank. Then I remembered that Blizzard just dropped that new world-changing patch so I guess Mari could teach him how to respec his hunter (Because we all know that's what Sven would play).

On Twitter Sven mentions he plays a mage.

@dorabianchi whatever. my mage is awesome. 9:46 PM Jun 15th, 2009 via Twitter for iPhone in reply to dorabianchi

Visible_One

• Plantmonster

Stupid things were said and done across the board.

Pun intended?

I was really pleased to see Sven doing his best for Marten, even though he has absolutely no clue how to approach it. He gave it a go. Good for him!
In addition, I should add that I do like this kind of humour.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 08:17 by Visible_One »
With a "zweihander" galley oar in hand, he cuts a swathe through a carefully assembled vertical tower of foam blocks. It can do that much, at least.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference

i'm liking Sven more and more!

And i'm really worring about Marten more and more! :psyduck:

*EDIT*
Is it worrying or worring?
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 08:34 by tbones »
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Coco

• Emoticontraindication
  • You can't be mad at me, I'm just a dog.

It's a bit quieter and more respectful in here, now.  I think some of the chaff blew away.  

Yeah, I can't remember when I joined, three weeks ago maybe? But I lurked for a week before joining because I've always been scared off of internet forums. There is always so much name-calling and *yelling* which is really not something I would want from a fun diversion. But this seemed like such a nice neighborhood before last week, and I hope it regains its nice neighborhood status.

Anyway, yay for bringing back the funny. And for Sven. He's so shiny and handsome I may swoon. :psyduck:
It took three years for bad lawyers to put an innocent man in jail for the rest of his life and 15 years for good lawyers to set him free.
"Getting to this point was way harder than it should be in a free country."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Stupid things were said and done across the board.

Pun intended?

Oh god yes. 

Is it worrying or worring?

It's worrying.  That way, you get all three syllables. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

kittymao

• Not quite a lurker
  • snarf.

He's so shiny and handsome I may swoon. :psyduck:

I came in here to say near the same thing.
I find Sven to be unbelievably handsome in this comic.
Also- awkward and sputtering, but those are things I can identify with.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Murphoid

• Plantmonster
    • My Facebook

Great comments so far guys.  Well worth the read.

Somehow I think Sven's logic was that since his last break up put him off casual sex, perhaps Marten had a real hankering for some.

AngryCallCenterAgent

• "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.

I wish I knew tons of slutty chicks.

So I can finally get a meaningful and serious answer to the question "What's it like to be a ladeh playah, ladeh playah?"

What? I'm writing a book...
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

I think there might be some interesting insight hiding underneath Marigolds overwhelming obliviousness. I also don't think that Sven's been with many girls who are as... hmm.... socially unsavvy as Marigold. Just interacting for an extended time with someone who isn't one of his regular hotties could do him some good.

Are there very many people who interact with Sven that don't "worship his looks" or "worship his music"? although, now that I think about it, Marigold might fall into the "worship his looks" category if she ever spends any time with Sven where she's not throwing books in his face.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up