THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 22:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The most memorable occupational mishap or hazard in QC history?

Marten's department getting axed.
- 4 (6.7%)
The big oven explosion of '98.
- 3 (5%)
Cleaning up the cave of twenty asses.
- 0 (0%)
"Ain't karma a bitch?" "That espresso machine and I have a score to settle."
- 4 (6.7%)
Raven getting stuck in the air duct at CoD.
- 9 (15%)
A raccoon falling out of the air duct in CoD concussing Faye.
- 9 (15%)
Raven speaking in tongues under the influence of paint fumes.
- 0 (0%)
"So that was your butt-print on the copier this morning, Emma."
- 5 (8.3%)
Angus' double-booked rally.
- 4 (6.7%)
Hannelore's performance anxiety her first time making a latte for Marten.
- 2 (3.3%)
Hannelore's bad day at CoD (ground beans, jelly donuts and garbage falling on her).
- 4 (6.7%)
Cosette & Faye: contempt face not working => use 9 iron.
- 0 (0%)
Cosette's Bad Juju.
- 0 (0%)
Cosette trifecta: a wedged carafe, mixing orders, ran out of cashier tape.
- 1 (1.7%)
Penelope shanghaied to work at CoD.
- 5 (8.3%)
Penelope sacked for insubordination.
- 0 (0%)
VV's client's cellphone going off: "It was set to vibrate, so his prostate got a nice little massage."
- 2 (3.3%)
Plan omega.
- 2 (3.3%)
Marten not knowing about the secret menu.
- 5 (8.3%)
Marten, Hanners & Winslow making "coffee" at CoD.
- 1 (1.7%)
Waffles on the secret menu.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dream jobs for the QC cast?  (Read 19554 times)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
Dream jobs for the QC cast?
« on: 04 Feb 2011, 09:57 »

Several of our friends have at some point expressed unhappiness about their line of work. I thought that it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to their work/career related dreams and possibilities. Here's your chance to try your hand as a vocational counselor! Which line of work do you think your favorite QC character would excel in? Which job would be the best match to his/her skill set/education/personality? What would be his/her dream job? Is there a realistic shot to get that dream job? Hilariously impossible and unlikely suggestions are obviously welcome, too, but keep the creepy suggestions to yourselves, please.

Polls? Of course, the plan is to have polls for every character with enough interesting suggestions. I may fumble a poll or two, as this is the first time I try my hand at this, so please be patient :-). The first poll is kinda lame. I apologize for that, but I wasn't sure whether it is possible to add polls to a thread afterwards, so I went with this one to get started. If you feel that an essential option is left out, please let me know! Sven, Dora, Tai and Marigold have been left out of this poll, because they seem to be relatively happy with their current jobs. Dale and Steve were left out, because their current employment status is somewhat unclear.

Enough BS. Let's roll. My thoughts for starters. It's more than a bit on the tl;dr; side, so feel free to skip it.

• Sven. He's successful and mostly happy with what he does, so I really don't see him embarking on another career. Occasionally he feels that his artistic integrity is wearing a gimp mask. May be a little genre experimenting would help? With Deathmole, please!! His reputation would survive even a flop or two while trying something different, wouldn't it?
  • Dora. I can totally see Dora ruling with fear the umpteenth generation of sassy baristas 40 years from now. Raising her cane to keep them in line, if necessary. She may want to expand her business at some point, but that road leads either to Starbuckdom or into an "alliance" with HannerMom, so may be rather not? If the tides of fortune ever bring CoD down forcing her to join a chain, then let's go with (dun.. dunn... dunnn....) Waffle House!
  • Marten. Tougher. As easy going as our protagonist is, I really don't see him being happy as the assistant librarian until the day he retires. Music is waaay more than a hobby to him, so let's take that as our starting point. He doesn't have a big enough ego to be a star. May be he should put his critical theory education to good use, and start seriously blogging? He might catch the attention of a regional newspaper (with a little bit of luck?), and build from there. Eventually he could end up doing freelance work for Rolling Stone and such. In the worst case scenario he joins the ranks of street musicians of Northampton. Help him out with alternatives, please!! A hilarious alternative would be for him to, if not take over the family business from VV, then at least start giving lessions on Japanese rope binding.
  • Hannelore. OCD & customer service?? Come on! Undoubtedly it is good therapy for her, but I don't see it lasting. I was quite impressed with her attention to detail in figuring out what was wrong with her Mom's books. She might make the best auditor/public accountant ever! Wouldn't you love to have someone like her go thru the books of that shady company exploiting the folks in your town (replace that with your least favorite faction of the government, if that's more to your liking). Could she take over Mom's business, when the evil billionaire finally retires/dies? Yeah, right. Donald Duck would have a better chance at the helm of Uncle McSgrooge's empire than our darling Hanners. But remember, she is full of surprises!
  • Faye. She has talent for sculpting. Would she need to complete her college degree to really pursue that? I don't know how the art scene works, but I would guess that you can get by without a degree. It is probably a lot tougher to get started without the help of the connections of your college teachers, though? May be that one commissioned Espressosaurus Rex will be her ticket out of service industry? Then again, the Pugnacious Peach is a tough cookie, and could handle many a career. Ranging from a sassy feminist columnist to changing nappies.
  • Angus. Well, we just learned what his dream job is :-) He is not unhappy with the strawman gig, but it also sounded like he was just rationalizing it to Faye (and to himself). Stand-up comedy? Needs a lot of luck, but you only live once! Politics? Sounded like his family might expect that from him, but does he really want to become the next actor turned into a governor/president?
  • Marigold. She knows computers (incl. AnthroPCs) and programming. I don't see her making megabucks with that skill set, but a secure (trickle of) income is there. In spite of the stuff being outsourced to companies based in Bangalore. If the job as her Dad's webmaster doesn't last, she might not mind Dilbert-like life in a cubicle much. Any reason to try another line of work? Her dream job might be coding and testplaying new versions of WoW, but how to make that come true? Teaching computer stuff as a fall back alternative? How long do you think she would last as a high school teacher?
  • Tai. Is it canon that she's in grad school? She just might have what it takes to become an author, but would need more than her fair share of luck to do really well. She also has the career as English lit teacher (college, high school) as a viable alternative to fall back on. Grading stuff like Marigold's slashfic for a few decades might get to her eventually, but it is also (close to) her calling!
  • Steve, Cosette, Penelope, Wil. I am mostly clueless here. Steve was doing ok with the Department of KYA, but is that over? Cosette's still in college, so we don't know, if she can get something useful out of that. Penelope and Wil following their current paths of broken dreams makes me a little bit sad, but such is life.
  • Raven. Wow! Anything from theoretical physics to water slide test pilot. Most likely to generate more than enough alternatives to start a poll?
  • Dale. What are his two other jobs? A bar musician? Newspaper delivery (no time conflict with pizza delivery!)?  A private eye secretly reporting his findings at CoD to Padma?
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2011, 01:18 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Dream jobs for the QC cast?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Feb 2011, 10:40 »

I wasn't sure whether it is possible to add polls to a thread afterwards

Just for information: a moderator can do that for you if you ask nicely.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #2 on: 04 Feb 2011, 10:46 »

If Cosette left CoD I somewhat suspect her termination would be involuntary. 

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #3 on: 04 Feb 2011, 11:10 »

Is there a clause in her contract that if she accidentally burns down CoD that is grounds for termination? I guess that would fall under force majeure :-), so we would have 5 unemployed baristas instead of just one.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2011, 23:31 by Skewbrow »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2011, 11:43 »

Trying to peg a person for a job is a little bit like predicting the weather three months in advance. You can get some general idea of what is going to go on, but you have absolutely no idea what will actually happen.

Oh, and I can say that as someone who did some of his post-grad work as a vocational counselor.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Antario

• Larger than most fish
  • Evil eye is watching you
« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb 2011, 13:18 »

• Marten  Dream job would be a music critic, musician maybe
    He definetly wont quit untill he has another steady gig to go to that either pays tons more or has something to do with music, since he's not unhappy at the library
  • Faye   not a clue what her dream job would be really...she seems to just want to live her life atm, no real ambitions
    Of all people i think she's the most likely to quit, she's been with dora for a long time    if angus is going to be her anchor to sanity and maybe get her over her issues and that sculpture works out maybe she can move on
  • Hannelore   
    She has other issues to deal with, she gets enough money from the odd project her mom drops on her to sustain her and have spare income to boot
  • Penelope  made her dream job plenty clear already
    might make a change in the future, but not for any time soon
  • Cosette   
    still in college, just got the job    save getting fired she's not going anywhere
  • Wil   just like his partner also has a well documented dream job
    Wont quit unless he gets noticed for some reason, but since he's a very minor character these days no time soon either (he's more like just a prop for penelope these days)
  • Angus
    maybe he will move up the political strawman ladder? his career is a bit to vague to really call
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2011, 13:22 by Antario »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #6 on: 04 Feb 2011, 14:29 »

Hannelore's focus and attention to detail, along with her drive to create structure, would be assets for a career as a software developer. She might also make a good research librarian.

The Pugnacious Peach complained to her therapist about being "stuck", and she's gradually waking up and taking charge of her life. Somewhere in the archives there's a thread about what Faye might do next.

Wil probably has the worst job but he doesn't have a lot of options. He can be expected to stay where he is.

This is a great thread.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #7 on: 04 Feb 2011, 18:47 »

• Marten: I see him moving onto something that is of course music related. Music Teacher? Maybe SMIF has some other department openings for assistants? Like it has been said before, I don't see him moving on until he is 100% sure that he has a job. (as most people should!)
  • Angus: Ah, now we're having fun. Ho'kay, Angus changing careers is interesting to me because it's the largest reason I can think of for Faye and Angus not working out. (Or maybe I read too much Octopus Pie  :oops: )Angus's line of work is the closest to the Entertainment industry that we've seen. Were he to ever get noticed, he would most likely need to move to either New York or California to pursue any career. While TV Host may be a bit out of his range, I could see him as a comedy writer for late-night TV or a contributer (like the reporters on The Daily Show.) 

That's all I have for now, but maybe more will come to mind. I agree though, five star thread idea!
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #8 on: 04 Feb 2011, 22:03 »

OK, maybe this isn't dream-job territory, but...

Tai is going to graduate, and move on, and someone needs to take over the supervisory position at the library.  As the only non-student, Marten's primed for the position.  After all, students are only around for a few years.  Management needs to be more consistant. 

Besides, he knows what the trustees were up to in the copy room...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #9 on: 05 Feb 2011, 00:31 »

Marten seems to have taken an early lead in the poll. I am little bit surprised to see Faye in the last place. More or less for the reasons listed by Antario. Then again, several other characters have shown a real desire to pursue alternative careers more recently.

The next poll will be on Hannelore's options - some realistic, some less so. Feel free to make suggestions for options.

For several characters we already know what their dream job would be. When their turn comes, the semi-serious poll options will be on bits of advice, and, if need be, suggestions for more realistic alternatives. If the thread survives (thanks for the encouraging words!), I plan to insert a poll with the theme "Occupational hazards - the most memorable mishaps at work" at some point.

@Sharp, Antario: A good point about Angus' job prospects being very vague. It will be tough to get a decent poll on his options. Saving that for later.

OK, maybe this isn't dream-job territory, but...

Tai is going to graduate, and move on, and someone needs to take over the supervisory position at the library.  As the only non-student, Marten's primed for the position.  After all, students are only around for a few years.  Management needs to be more consistant. 

Besides, he knows what the trustees were up to in the copy room...

LOL! An interesting suggestion for Marten. Wouldn't necessarily surprise me, if SMIF would have the library jobs earmarked as a way of supporting a number of promising students at selected departments. The need for continuity may trump that though? But surely Marten is too nice a guy to ... bring up certain facts in front of a board of trustees? Not that he would necessarily have to actively do anything about it!

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
« Reply #10 on: 05 Feb 2011, 10:09 »

Hmm, I think that almost none of the cast have anything resembling a dreamjob, so nominating a definite candidate is kinda difficult. But lets try anyway. I'll start from my own poll choices.

• Marten: While he is happy at SMIF library now, I just can't see him working indefinitely as a library assistant. Somekind of career concerning music just sounds too fitting for him. We've seen pretty damn good suggestions (music critic, music teacher), thou i would not count out our protagonist becoming a rock phenomenon (when you think of it, especially how his life has been going lately, I think he could write some kickass Radiohead-like music, maybe even becoming QC's very own Thom Yorke? :-D ). And remembering the everchanging music world, we might see him in very distant future as a has-been rockstar/shady street musican. 
  • Penelope/Will: The creative couple. While they both are employed at the moment, I think either of them are anywhere near their dreamjob. I think becoming bestselling author would be a dream come true for both of em.

As for the rest of the cast, very few of em have a job that could be described as dreamjob. Maybe, in the future, we'll see Angus as next Conan O'Brien or maybe even as a senator or such. He's got the talent for it, we'll just have to wait and see if he's going to pursue the career in politics or stand-up comedy. Hmm, who else? Marigold? If the webmaster gig turns bad, I could easily see her in the ranks of cubicle workers (think of Dilbert and/or Office Space). And i gotta ask, am I the only one who thought of Steve as QC's Jason Bourne (just replacing the amnesia with huge bender  :laugh: )

The characters who are actually doing what they like are Sven and Dora. Dora is running her own business and despite the fact that sometimes things dont go as planned, she's still calling the shots what goes. Sven on the other hand is making music(which he doesen't actually like) and money(which he does like  :-P ), and seems to be enjoying life.
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 05 Feb 2011, 16:50 »

Everybody winds up working for Bill Gates.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #12 on: 05 Feb 2011, 16:55 »

Dale needs something that pays well enough for him to work only one job. We don't know enough about him to guess what that would be, though.

EDIT: it took a while, but I finally found the old thread about what the Pugnacious Peach might do after Coffee of Doom: http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,24020.0.html
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2011, 17:21 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #13 on: 06 Feb 2011, 10:04 »

The results of the first poll.

QC character most likely to quit his/her current job? 
Marten    - 13 (15.7%)
Faye    - 6 (7.2%)
Hannelore    - 12 (14.5%)
Penelope    - 12 (14.5%)
Cosette    - 6 (7.2%)
Wil    - 8 (9.6%)
Angus    - 10 (12%)
Somebody else    - 9 (10.8%)
Nobody - they are all content!    - 0 (0%)
Nobody - the money ain't great, but it is enough to get waffles!    - 7 (8.4%)

Total Voters: 40

The next poll is on Hannelore's alternatives. I will add your suggestions as poll options ASAP. Do remember that my timezone is GMT+2, IIRC 7 hours ahead of US East coast.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #14 on: 06 Feb 2011, 10:57 »

(I've changed the poll's time to run to 7 days, so presumably you can now adjust it again if you wish.)

As for Marten, my wife, who recently became deputy director of a university library without having any direct experience, commented earlier today that the shelvers are the lowest of the low, quite the bottom of the pecking order.  We've certainly seen Marten shelving; but he also does counter duty, presumably because the Smif library is quite small.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #15 on: 06 Feb 2011, 10:59 »

I've gone with accounting with Hanners, but honestly, I see her more as an actuary. Still, she'd end up counting something with something for someone or something.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #16 on: 06 Feb 2011, 13:48 »

(I've changed the poll's time to run to 7 days, so presumably you can now adjust it again if you wish.)

Thank you! Unfortunately the box for the time limit still doesn't show in the "Edit poll" -window. May be that simply cannot be changed? I will ask jwhouk and/or BorderRiever for advice on how they run the weekly threads. My plan is for this to be a slow paced thread, but we'll see how it works. It may be simpler to start another thread at some point, so that I don't need to bug you repeatedly?

I've gone with accounting with Hanners, but honestly, I see her more as an actuary. Still, she'd end up counting something with something for someone or something.

:-) An excellent suggestion! A very demanding job, where you need a lot of training. A junior colleague of mine started working on the exams taking him towards actuarial work. He's half way there now, I think. This has been on top of his math PhD, but a doctorate is certainly not required. He's quite happy. You can study for those exams while working. Every time you pass one of the exams it shows on your salary slip starting next month. Not a bad deal at all!

« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2011, 14:05 by Skewbrow »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #17 on: 06 Feb 2011, 15:08 »

Meanwhile you are all welcome to start suggesting better poll options for Hannelore.
I'm amazed she hasn't already been snapped up by the NSA as a cryppie. I suppose the mad-scientist Dad and Bond-villain Mum might have something to do with it. It would be embarrassing to hire a SPECTRE princess...

Actually Marigold (programming) and Hannelore (mathematics) could be a formidable crypto-combination...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #18 on: 06 Feb 2011, 16:43 »

Hanners makes one mean latte, as I recall reading.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #19 on: 07 Feb 2011, 06:33 »

Actually Marigold (programming) and Hannelore (mathematics) could be a formidable crypto-combination...

Another good suggestion. I added it to the poll. FYI: RSA2048 is a math problem. Easy to understand, but no one knows how to solve this kind of problems efficiently. Cryptocompanies like RSA posted this kind of challenges to get a good idea of how much breaking their system (at some limited key size) would cost.

At some point my friends in crypto told me that NSA no longer has the best cryppies. There is just so much money in the commercial applications and NSA can't match that. As evidence in favor of this is that NSA insisted cryptological techniques to be included in the Wassenaar arrangement. The joke was that limit was put to system with secret keys of length 112 bits, because that's the longest NSA can crack (the field moves fast, so that 112 figure probably has been outdated for a few years now). That's what the hulabaloo with making PGP public was also about. It is too strong for NSA to crack. Of course, it may well be that the NSA just wants the rest of them to think that...
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2011, 11:54 by Skewbrow »

Phatcat29

• Not quite a lurker
  • Raaar!
    • My Own Private Idaho
« Reply #20 on: 07 Feb 2011, 10:03 »

I think Dora would make a good S&M Nightclub promoter.  Either that, or first-lady for our next Republican President.

<.<
~Phatcat29

*Sex God and Blogger Extraordinaire*
wtfamidoinginidaho.blogspot.com
twitter.com/Spud_Slinger

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 07 Feb 2011, 14:32 »

I don't know about you, but if I were an American I'd rather vote for Dora than Sarah
James The Kugai 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #22 on: 07 Feb 2011, 14:36 »

(moderator)Politics can get out of hand in no time flat -- please everyone use your best judgment when you're outside of Discuss.(/moderator)
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2011, 14:38 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sharp

« Reply #23 on: 07 Feb 2011, 21:03 »

I want to see Tai release a line of Lesbian-Empowerment and Sexuality Novels.

Or a line of Lesbian-Themed action flicks in the vein of 70's blacksploitation films. (Lesploitation?)

"This Summer! Kitty Hunter is on the prowl! IN: HERE KITTY KITTY"
[quote author

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #24 on: 07 Feb 2011, 21:29 »

Pintsize could be the cameraman and video editing machine. This may be his destiny.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #25 on: 07 Feb 2011, 23:01 »

Either that, or first-lady for our next Republican President.

Hmm. May be I've read too many Tom Clancy novels, but the secret service dislikes the idea of a First Lady with a career.

Hmm squared. Unless it is Dora, who will be the president. Bringing in a slacker for a ... First Husband?

Arrggh. Ninja'ed by Kugai.

Next poll will be on career advice for Marten. Some time today... I have got to prepare my next lecture first.
Post Simon&Garfunkel musical references are beyond me, so drop me a note if you want yours included in the poll.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #26 on: 08 Feb 2011, 12:09 »

Career alternatives that Hannelore should consider
Counting (back hair, grains of sand, whatever the customer wants).    - 6 (8.5%)
Counting with her body.    - 5 (7%)
Accounting.    - 8 (11.3%) <----------------- 3rd
Cleaning. "My name is Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham. I END messes."    - 16 (22.5%) <--------------- 1st
Software development. The filthy bugs have no chance.    - 3 (4.2%)
Research librarian. Bibliodons are NOT on her list of suspicious animals.    - 4 (5.6%)
Baking. "Science for hungry people."    - 11 (15.5%)  <---------------- 2nd
Barista. "Man, I make a really good latte!"    - 2 (2.8%)
Research in the algebra of blush quotients.    - 2 (2.8%)
Steel herself to take over Mom's business. Sharks ARE on her list of suspicious animals, though.    - 4 (5.6%)
Actuary. Check it once more to make sure.    - 5 (7%)
Cryptanalysis. Break RSA2048? No problem!    - 5 (7%)

Total Voters: 29

The suggestions familiar to us from her adventures in QC raked in the most votes. Of the non-QC suggestions accounting collected a little bit more support than (IMHO cooler alternatives) actuarial and cryptographical work. We shouldn't read too much into that as accounting got a head start as a poll option.

Marten is up next.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2011, 00:14 by Skewbrow »

Antario

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #27 on: 09 Feb 2011, 03:41 »

cleaning isnt exactly an upgrade from working at COD

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #28 on: 09 Feb 2011, 04:40 »

Your dream job is not necessarily a "better" job in the traditional sense. 

I know mine isn't...

Antario

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #29 on: 09 Feb 2011, 09:12 »

well my point still stand...i think....hanners doesnt actually 'like' cleaning does she?   it just calms her down (aka calms her OCD)
allthough im getting a vague memory she did actually say it once...i cba to browse half the archive to find it though >.>

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
« Reply #30 on: 09 Feb 2011, 10:39 »

well my point still stand...i think....hanners doesnt actually 'like' cleaning does she?   it just calms her down (aka calms her OCD)
allthough im getting a vague memory she did actually say it once...i cba to browse half the archive to find it though >.>

Not trying to nitpick or be a dick, just giving a differing opinion about not liking cleaning..  :-P

(Yep, i know i spend way too much time browsing the archives, sry bout that  :angel: )
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2011, 10:41 by Mustakyy »
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #31 on: 09 Feb 2011, 13:57 »

Good catch!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #32 on: 09 Feb 2011, 13:58 »

(Yep, i know i spend way too much time browsing the archives, sry bout that  :angel: )

Never apologize for your addictions.  

Just for the effect they have on you and those you love...

OK, so here's my point; I love math, and get to teach it.  That's my profession.  But I've also built furniture, repaired cars and appliances, roofed houses and barns, done electrical, plumbing and any amount of restoration work, and every single one  of those things leaves me feeling more accomplished and fulfilled than teaching does.  You can see  what you've done, you can finish  a job and take pride in it.  With teaching, you constantly stare failure in the face, whether it's your fault or not, and you have to hope and pray that some of what you teach sticks knowing full well that most of what you taught splattered on the back wall after sailing over your student's heads.  

It's the Mr. Chips effect, and it regularly has me thinking of doing something else for a living...

Then I hear from some former student about how much they loved my class, and how much they learned from it, and I get all mushy inside.   :-P

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #33 on: 09 Feb 2011, 21:46 »

cleaning isnt exactly an upgrade from working at COD

Perhaps it was an error from my part to include a poll option with the air of "neuroses should be put to constructive use". Didn't mean to make it sound like a demeaning job, sorry. But Hannelore doesn't just sweep and vacuum. She disinfects, uses her autoclave and then some! There are many cleaning jobs, where mopping and dusting just won't do and a germophobic attitude is a plus: hospitals, labs,... An experiment at a genetic manipulation research plant goes a little caca. Who're you gonna call? 1-800-HEC-END-MESSES!
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2011, 08:49 by Skewbrow »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #34 on: 09 Feb 2011, 22:37 »

Hannelore's OCD will blight her enjoyment of any job that doesn't give her the chance to appease her OCD.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2011, 03:59 »

OK, so here's my point; I love math, and get to teach it.  That's my profession.  But I've also built furniture, repaired cars and appliances, roofed houses and barns, done electrical, plumbing and any amount of restoration work, and every single one  of those things leaves me feeling more accomplished and fulfilled than teaching does.  You can see  what you've done, you can finish  a job and take pride in it.  With teaching, you constantly stare failure in the face, whether it's your fault or not, and you have to hope and pray that some of what you teach sticks knowing full well that most of what you taught splattered on the back wall after sailing over your student's heads.  

It's the Mr. Chips effect, and it regularly has me thinking of doing something else for a living...

Then I hear from some former student about how much they loved my class, and how much they learned from it, and I get all mushy inside.   :-P

Other than a summer job delivering mail and a two and a half year stint at the research center of a cell phone company all my work has been researching/teaching math, so I share the same profession as Carl-E, and his feelings sound familiar, too. I would love to be a bit more research oriented, but I had a chance to do that when I was younger, and the feelings of accomplishment were even rarer then (and never lasted too long). Teaching somehow comes naturally to me. It is a family curse trait. Dad, wife, sis, brother-in-law, uncle, cousin, her daughter... Not all of us teach math, and I'm the only one at the university level, but you get the picture  :-). It's not always rewarding, but mostly I feel good after another week's load is done (that never was the case with research). The occasional positive feedback is a bonus. Like when I finally got tenured I wasn't the department head's favorite, but the students cast the deciding votes in my favor at the faculty council. I am also aware of the fact that out of my skills math has the highest market value, so I'm also playing the cards the way they were dealt.

Quick summary: I'm not doing exactly what I was dreaming about 20 years ago. But pretty close!
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 07:18 by Skewbrow »

Antario

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:05 »

even with that comic in mind it still raises the question, does hanners love cleaning or is she compelled to
aka, if her OCD vanished overnight would she still have the urge/desire to clean?

but taking it to a more advanced level would ofcourse make sense, hanners the super cleaner

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2011, 14:31 »

Hannelore seems to have adapted by learning to enjoy something she's compelled to do anyway.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #38 on: 11 Feb 2011, 14:16 »

Penelope had the third highest vote count in the opening poll, so it will be her turn next. I have to admit that for a while I was tempted insert a poll on the ways AnthroPCs (mostly Pintsize) could help our cast to follow their dreams. Then I realized that many a poll item would be half-creepy, so I reconsidered...

Everybody agrees that Penelope and Wil both have shitty jobs. But which is worse? Barista or a bartender? I would expect the base pay to be the same, meaning that (in terms of income) it comes down to who will rake in more tips? Any thoughts? For my part I would be more likely to tip a hot barista. But the drinks served by a bartender are more likely to alter my mood towards generosity (if not beyond caring), which would tip the scale the other way.

Sharp

« Reply #39 on: 11 Feb 2011, 21:07 »

In my experience, bartenders are tipped far more often than baristas. Because you may buy one coffee and leave, but if you stay at the bar, you buy more drinks. And it's customary that one drink=$1 tip.
[quote author

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #40 on: 11 Feb 2011, 23:45 »

This is certainly true. But does that equation still hold, if you count dollars tipped per hour? That is what a barista/bartender is interested in. Most likely a bartender will collect a lot more tips on a busy night, with the bar packed to capacity, but when taking the average over the whole week the difference is not so clear.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #41 on: 12 Feb 2011, 01:56 »

Career advice you would like to give to Marten

Deathmole! Deathmole! Start working on it. Harder.    - 15 (16.7%)   <--------------------------------------------------- 2nd
Genre experimenting helps. What about electro-spaz post-hardcore? Dweooskreedadad.    - 3 (3.3%)
"First fame. Then cocaine addiction."    - 2 (2.2%)
Make a demo recording. Send it to interesting bands/record companies. And wait...    - 3 (3.3%)
Get critical. Captain Blogzorz of Blogosphere!    - 10 (11.1%)   <----------------------------------------------------------- 3rd (tie)
Jam together with Sven. He can hook you up with a band in need of an extra guitar.    - 18 (20%) <------------------- 1st
Look for openings at SMIF Department of Music.    - 10 (11.1%) <--------------------------------------------------------- 3rd (tie)
Plenty of young rock star wannabes in the neighborhood? Start giving guitar lessons.    - 9 (10%)
Plenty of empty street corners in Northampton, eh? At least if you are avant gar-day.    - 0 (0%)
Steel yourself to take over Dad's business. At your own club you can perform every night.    - 3 (3.3%)
Steel yourself to take over Mom's business. You would look good in ...    - 4 (4.4%)
Stick to your current gig. "Orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages."    - 3 (3.3%)
Look for a promotion at SMIF library. Take that course in library science! Or ask certain trustees for help?    - 6 (6.7%)
Rabbit in your headlights. Become Thom Yorke of QC-verse.    - 4 (4.4%)

Total Voters: 34

The forumites have spoken. We want to help Marten become a performing artist. Using Sven's help and connections probably sounds more realistic than working with Deathmole, but the two are not mutually exclusive. Personally I am a little bit uncertain, whether it is kosher to start a band with your ex's brother, but I just don't see Deathmole soaring on its own.

The next best altenatives (music critic or teaching) didn't get quite as enthusiastic support. Of the teaching alternatives a position at an appropriate college department has the benefit of a more secure income than teaching privately. OTOH it may be quite difficult for Marten to land a teaching position at SMIF whereas private guitar lessons he can do in his free time.

« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2011, 01:59 by Skewbrow »

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #42 on: 12 Feb 2011, 02:16 »

A poll on Pen-Pen's future is up. There is room for more options, so I will add your suggestions upon request. Please allow for a delay of a few hours. There will be enough time to wait and vote later.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #43 on: 14 Feb 2011, 21:41 »

Marigold will be next (about 15 hours from now). She was not included in the first poll, but I like her as a character, and cannot possibly pass up this opportunity. :evil:

The IT-sector is the most logical field for her, but there are several opportunities! Can she turn her passion for manga/anime into a career alternative? Can she combine the two? Something else? Waffles will be replaced with ... (make a guess  :-))

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #44 on: 14 Feb 2011, 21:52 »

Sea cucumbers?

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #45 on: 14 Feb 2011, 23:21 »

Sea cucumbers? But ... in Marigold's inexperienced hands the sheer ... salinity of those things could cause severe dehydration?

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #46 on: 15 Feb 2011, 11:25 »

What will happen in Penelope's future?
It is revealed that Penelope Gaines really is the Pizza Girl!    - 8 (18.2%)                                                   <--- 2nd (tie)
She keeps the butt-tectonic seismometers going and starts her own gym.    - 2 (4.5%)
She grows up and is questionably content as a publishing house lackey.    - 5 (11.4%)
She takes that internship and advances by bringing in Wil and Tai as new best-selling authors.    - 9 (20.5%)             <---- Winner!
She gives the bookstores another chance. While keeping an eye on a possible harassment lawsuit!    - 1 (2.3%)
Her resumé is a perfect fit for a Book Café job. A surefire hit in a college town!    - 5 (11.4%)
She gets her dream job at a publishing company. And is put in charge of reprinting collected works of Hemingway.    - 8 (18.2%) <---2nd (tie)
She ends up working for Bill Gates at the PR department.    - 1 (2.3%)
She makes waffles for breakfast.    - 5 (11.4%)

Total Voters: 16

By the narrowest margin we steer away from "cruelty to characters". We are a soft-hearted bunch!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #47 on: 15 Feb 2011, 12:39 »

Marigirl could become the Pocky critic for the New York Times.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #48 on: 15 Feb 2011, 19:40 »

Or she could be the creator of the Tachikoma.
James The Kugai 

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #49 on: 15 Feb 2011, 20:10 »

She ends up working for Bill Gates as a micro-serf.

Has anyone here read Microserfs by Douglas Coupland?  Really good novel about disaffected Microsoft employees.
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up