• 15 May 2024, 19:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moment of the Week:

Dora's got her next career planned out.
Jim and Dora - I'll be scared when their plan comes together.
Jim the Hipster Baker.
"Totally have time to clean this up."
Dora the baby breeder, nice ring to it.
Check Please!
Marigold starting to dance.
Marigold stopping when she got an audience...Creepy Hanners.
Babies - Awful, little mewling poo-larvae.
Technically Jim's divorced next Tuesday.
:I Dora, finally gets the hang of Jim's humour...hopefully.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 27th June - 1st July (1956-1960)  (Read 85512 times)

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
Re: WCDT: 27th June - 1st July (1956-1960)
« Reply #250 on: 29 Jun 2011, 22:31 »

Not to detract too much from the argument, but has anyone else done the math? 41 - 13 = Dora is OLD (okay, so 28 isn't THAT old, but it feels like it because she doesn't look it at all).

I'm going to be 30 years old tomorrow and look like this. You really can't go by appearances when trying to judge someone as "old" until the crows feet/gray hair start showing up.
I have crow's feet and I'm only 23. I also get told I look older than what I really am. So yeah, it's all a matter of opinion.
I stand 6'5" tall, medium build, and am 26 years old.  I still get carded at bars and restaurants. 

Perfect example:  Last year, I'm out with friends celebrating a birthday party, and there's 15-20 of us at the table.  I watch as the waitress goes around taking drink orders, and when she comes to me, she asks to see my ID after I order a rum and coke.  I was one of the last to order, and I was the only who got carded.  Everyone else at the table was within a couple years of my age (me 25 at the time) and over 21.

Hell, there've been a few instances where I've almost taken out my military ID for a second ID-check at some bars when I see the bouncer raise an eyebrow as he looks at my driver's license (and I have my pilot's license on tertiary reserve).  I really, really do not understand how and why most people think I'm years younger than I actually am.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #251 on: 29 Jun 2011, 22:50 »

People pretty much started assuming I was an adult as soon as I grew the unkempt beard of a savage. To this day people start thinking I'm some pubescent highschooler when I'm cleanshaven.

nonethousand

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #252 on: 29 Jun 2011, 23:56 »

watching the streaming channel, it looks like today we'll have a taste of the SMIF party with Hanners and Marigold...  :-o

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #253 on: 30 Jun 2011, 01:42 »

Not to detract too much from the argument, but has anyone else done the math? 41 - 13 = Dora is OLD (okay, so 28 isn't THAT old, but it feels like it because she doesn't look it at all).

I'm going to be 30 years old tomorrow and look like this. You really can't go by appearances when trying to judge someone as "old" until the crows feet/gray hair start showing up.
I have crow's feet and I'm only 23. I also get told I look older than what I really am. So yeah, it's all a matter of opinion.
I stand 6'5" tall, medium build, and am 26 years old.  I still get carded at bars and restaurants. 

I'm 28. I get told pretty often that I still look 19. (I don't, but I do look to be in my early 20s.) Whenever I'm in a group of early 20-somethings, they are always shocked when I tell them how old I am, and apparently often think I am younger than they are.

A month ago I went to get dinner with someone who was a former student of mine, and I got carded and he didn't. (He was kind of pissed off about that, haha, he's only 22.)

Meanwhile, I've known people who looked to be in their mid-30s ever since they were 18. It really does all depend.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #254 on: 30 Jun 2011, 01:50 »

People can misjudge ages at any stage of life; I'm often taken for ten or more years less than my age.  Here's me last weekend.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #255 on: 30 Jun 2011, 02:38 »

And she is known to be one year younger than Sven(#337).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #256 on: 30 Jun 2011, 02:46 »

This is me at 27 (with someone who is perhaps closer to Jim's age). I dunno how old I look exactly, but I don't think I look older than Dora does. This is me at 28 btw. I think I haven't changed much in looks for the last half a decade.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 17:25 by JackFaerie »

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #257 on: 30 Jun 2011, 02:53 »

This is me at 27 (with someone who is perhaps closer to Jim's age). I dunno how old I look exactly, but I don't think I look older than Dora does. This is me at 28 btw. I think I haven't changed much in looks for the last half a decade.

(first pic lookie) Oh hey, you don't too bad for 27, I mean, men sometimes look (looks at second picture)................................OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

<moderator> picture links removed from quote by request of originator</moderator>
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 22:45 by pwhodges »

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #258 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:01 »

Go ahead Marigold. Go ahead and dance.

You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #259 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:02 »

You definitely look good for 28. I'd actually put you at around 22 or 23, if not younger.

*Today's comic*

Wing-tits. That is all.

<moderator> picture links removed from quote by request of originator</moderator>
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 22:46 by pwhodges »

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #260 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:05 »

Yeah, I usually have to specifically age myself up for work. When I started grad school (I was 25) people kept asking me if I was a freshman. I live near a university now and people keep assuming I'm still a student.

And awwwww, Marigold. Also where is Marten in this sea of girls?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #261 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:10 »

Curiously, Jeph sketched him into the last frame (on the right, in midair??), but then immediately removed him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #262 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:12 »

People can misjudge ages at any stage of life; I'm often taken for ten or more years less than my age.  Here's me last weekend.

John Malkovich with hair?

EDIT: The rule #34 folks are going to have a field day with the last panel today.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 03:13 by Tiogyr »

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #263 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:20 »

Good lord.. Hanners is so adorable.. I´m dazed.

Also im super psyched to see what Marten and Tai are up to. The last weeks have been very interesting at QC!!

rje

« Reply #264 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:23 »

Oh for goodness sakes Hannelore! XD unhelpful!

Man do I feel today's comic.
I FEEL IT *pounds chest* in here

But actually dancing with strangers is easier for me than dancing in front of friends, so Hanners wouldn't be doing me any favors either

(Also I spy a party foul!)
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

VonKleist

« Reply #265 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:49 »

Heh. Since I rediscovered the glorious Safety Dance I request it in clubs wherever I go :-D

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #266 on: 30 Jun 2011, 04:41 »

My initial response was "Go Marigold you can have fun!"

Then I saw whatever that was with the wings in it's breasts and was more "What the ...!  Show me anywhere where that is a reasonable fashion choice."

Finally, I realized that such a place would be extremely uncomfortable for a person like me.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

akronnick

« Reply #267 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:03 »

Clearly you've never been to Singapore a Gay Pride parade.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 05:18 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #268 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:06 »

Marigold wore such a nice dress that time she hung out at Marten's place. It makes me sad that she decided to wear hermit clothes to this party. I just gotta keep reminding myself that QC isn't a teen movie where the nerdy girls get transformed.

mike837go

• Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others
« Reply #269 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:07 »

My initial response was "Go Marigold you can have fun!"
Then I saw whatever that was with the wings in it's breasts and was more "What the ...!  Show me anywhere where that is a reasonable fashion choice."
Finally, I realized that such a place would be extremely uncomfortable for a person like me.

Whups, it looks like somebody's GOM is showing.

The place where my girl and I go dancing has a strict no-drinks-on-the-dance-floor policy.

I LOVE the text on the tank top on girl in the first panel, stage left.
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #270 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:11 »

And is that Cosette spilling her drink in the second panel?

mike837go

« Reply #271 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:14 »

Marigold wore such a nice dress that time she hung out at Marten's place. It makes me sad that she decided to wear hermit clothes to this party. I just gotta keep reminding myself that QC isn't a teen movie where the nerdy girls get transformed.

Don't worry, she will. When Jeph decides the time is right.

It was what, 4 or 5 years strips of strips before Faye started to settle down. Marigold has only been in the comic for 2 years. Her time will come.

Realize that she IS at the party. That is HELLA improvement already.

QC is not a 1/2 hour sitcom where all the problems are solved just after the last commercial break. Jeph does most of the final work at the last moment. Even he doesn't know ahead of time where the story/characters will take him.

Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

mike837go

« Reply #272 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:16 »

And is that Cosette spilling her drink in the second panel?

Don't think so. The nose is wrong.

Besides, the rule of funny would require that if Cosette spills her drink, it would be ON Steve.
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

akronnick

« Reply #273 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:24 »

... or Marten

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #274 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:49 »

The age thing...

I just had my driver's license redone, a 4 year interval ordeal.  I was staring at the two of them, then suddenly realized why I looked so different. 

The old one was before my daughter got sick.  I now have a grey beard. 

Damn. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #275 on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:01 »

I actually had to do a double-take to make sure that wasn't Dora in the first panel. The lip piercing/tatt and barrette made it evident it wasn't.

It looks like Raven is behind Angel-wings dude (dude?) in the last panel.

As for our dynamic duo: Hannelore, you're not really helping, here.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #276 on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:09 »

I think that's just our Miss OCD'awwww's "See?/Yay! You are having fun!" expression, maybe helped along a bit by the contents of the party cup.
Unless it's not.

Also, I like Jeph's use of shadow to pick our dynamic duo out from the surrounding party people.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 06:13 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #277 on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:12 »

I've never been carded my entire life. And I think it has something to do with the very strong stubble I get even a couple of hours after I shave. The major downside to that is people thinking I'm in my mid-30s.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #278 on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:46 »

4th panel Marigold face is one of the cutest I've seen from her- that sheepish smile is freaking adorable. Like...."I think I might possibly be enjoying this!"

Now if she could only channel this outside of her bedroom  :-P

If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #279 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:02 »

...Dora?!
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

rje

« Reply #280 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:21 »

I meant to say this earlier too - girl in pink shirt has AWESOME HAIR (of course ymmv  :lol: )

I'm always so jealous of ppl that can pull off mohawks and major dying, my hair's too thin/fine for that since my thyroid condition kicked in, if i tried to treat it like the canvas I want it'd all fall out xP

Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #281 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:23 »

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaari. And Hannelore, being funny and cute. :D
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #282 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:29 »

You know, for whatever reason, I completely forgot what Tai usually meant when she says the word "party." Yeah, we've been hearing about this party for weeks, so it should have occurred to me sooner. When she invited Marten, I thought it'd be something much more low key and casual. But this... the pounding beat, the stench of alcohol and sweat and other substances, the grinding and gratuitous makeouts... it doesn't strike me as Marten's kind of scene.

I think I'd have bounced out in the first fifteen minutes and wouldn't fault Marten for doing the same.

People can misjudge ages at any stage of life; I'm often taken for ten or more years less than my age.  Here's me last weekend.

No wonder the responsible adult alarm goes off when you're in the area. You look like a respectable gentleman who knows a thing or two about the real world.

Tiogyr

« Reply #283 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:33 »

Like an older version of Joe Pantoliano?  :mrgreen:

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #284 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:39 »

Huh. Suddenly I see Marten's prospects dropping by about 78% percent. This is just a theory guys so bare with me.

I'm thinking to myself that, this is a party that Tai threw, correct? Which likely means she invited all her friends. It is suddenly hard-pressed to think that Tai has many friends who are straight. Tai seems to me like someone who is completely and utterly hedonistic when she went to college, so she didn't try to make many friends before trying to get many lovers and playthings. She's tired of that lifestyle now obviously, but it's just hard to imagine that Tai is friends with many straight single people. Looking at the ambiance of the party, it would seem very gay-friendly, which is really nice, but not for any purpose that Marten is looking for. The party probably has a few bisexual peeps, and a whole people who swing the other way completely. (Looking at you, purple Mohawk girl, and Blonde 'Wings' Guy.  :wink: ) To that end, with Marten being the only person here at this party on the prowl, I really don't see him having much success unless we get some strange revelation that Marten himself is bi and Friday ends with Angus and Faye talking only to turn their heads in shock and see Marten being kissed (or kissing) some guy.

Just some thoughts.
"Who Dares, Wins."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #285 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:47 »

To that end, with Marten being the only person here at this party on the prowl,

I almost spat tea at the screen when I read that.

akronnick

« Reply #286 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:51 »

Marten!

On the prowl!!

That's a good one!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #287 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:56 »

I would LOVE to see Marten make out with another guy. Just sayin'.

If I recall, he's thought about it before, even if jokingly.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #288 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:02 »

I think he meant the only one we know.  (Other than Tai, but "prowling" doesn't take a lot of time for her.)

Of course, there only appears to be one guy here we don't know, and I'm kinda wondering if it isn't Scott... almost certainly not.  Too young and too hipsterish.  But maybe if Marten still has the Princess top, they could compare notes.

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #289 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:02 »

You know what I mean.  :laugh: Okay, not on the prowl uh...

on the... Walk?

On the stroll?

:psyduck:
"Who Dares, Wins."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #290 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:08 »

Not in the comic, that I can think of - the incident with Padma and Steve debunks it well enough, I'd say.  There was a strip that Jeph himself modified as a joke (if you're thinking of the Marten and Steve one), but not as part of the comic itself.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 08:11 by pwhodges »

Tiogyr

« Reply #291 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:13 »

Not in the comic, that I can think of - the incident with Padma and Steve debunks it well enough, I'd say.  There was a strip that Jeph himself modified as a joke (if you're thinking of the Marten and Steve one), but not as part of the comic itself.

He did chime in a little quickly on the "Sven has a cute butt" discussion a while back that got Dora really ticked post-fake-Hannerdate.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #292 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:21 »

Pretty sure he meant this.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #293 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:24 »

But look at the title of that one...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #294 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:38 »

Heh. Since I rediscovered the glorious Safety Dance I request it in clubs wherever I go :-D

I wish the clubs here would play Safety Dance. I like dancing but loathe most modern dance music.  :psyduck:

Marigold is so cute in the fourth panel. She tries but Hanners does not help.

Also nice character design on the woman with the purple mohawk. I really like the design for some reason.

*Edit: I thought that was the same dress Hanners wore on her fake-date with Sven but it's different. http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1762
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 08:43 by Welu »

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #295 on: 30 Jun 2011, 09:12 »

I think Sven has a way of making straight guys question their sexuality. : p

VonKleist

« Reply #296 on: 30 Jun 2011, 09:15 »

I wish the clubs here would play Safety Dance. I like dancing but loathe most modern dance music.  :psyduck:

I hear you. My friends used to drag to places where you´d only have electro/minimal and so on.. sooo, find some nice indie type of club that looks ratty and run down :-)

michael28

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #297 on: 30 Jun 2011, 11:07 »

again, time for the after-spittake windex. thank you.
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #298 on: 30 Jun 2011, 12:24 »

But look at the title of that one...

I just took that as meaning he was expecting someone to draw what he's describing.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #299 on: 30 Jun 2011, 12:28 »

I'm thinking to myself that, this is a party that Tai threw, correct? Which likely means she invited all her friends. It is suddenly hard-pressed to think that Tai has many friends who are straight.

Incorrect

Tai : "We're throwing a big end-of-the-semester party. Wanna come?"

So probably most of the Smif campus will be there. I think it's a tad far-fetched to say they are ALL lesbians.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up