THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 12 May 2024, 05:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Mutual self-perpetuating sleep-deprivation freakouts!
- 10 (17.5%)
"I tried. Five times. They keep forgetting."
- 5 (8.8%)
"You're not stupid!"
- 0 (0%)
Just takes her hobbies very seriously.
- 0 (0%)
Who sets their alarm for 9:17?
- 2 (3.5%)
MARIGOLD LOUISE FARMER!
- 6 (10.5%)
Hanners grounds Marigold!
- 6 (10.5%)
JOU JOU YUUJOU! BANJI MAJI KACHOU!!!
- 5 (8.8%)
Hi dad... No, I didn't BREAK SOMETHING... No, it's not the Red Chinese...
- 0 (0%)
You run a SHOE WEBSITE.
- 0 (0%)
I'm not lying! I swear! Talk to my dad, he'll prove it!
- 1 (1.8%)
Your father wants me to extend it to a week (AUGH!)
- 6 (10.5%)
No video games for the next three days!
- 0 (0%)
Sad eyes at Momo! (It's for your own good)
- 0 (0%)
Th - the Mitsubishi PX-3500?
- 0 (0%)
But it costs thirty thousand...
- 0 (0%)
I'LL TAKE OUT A LOAN JUST LET ME PLAY SOME FRIGGIN' VIDEO GAMES
- 7 (12.3%)
Were you serious about the new chassis?
- 0 (0%)
'Sides, I like you just the way you are.
- 3 (5.3%)
Momo fills out her resume!
- 5 (8.8%)
14 Elm Grove Lane (no such number)
- 1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 August 2011 (1991-95)  (Read 69016 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: WCDT 15-19 August 2011 (1991-95)
« Reply #150 on: 18 Aug 2011, 02:45 »

5. I would only approve of Momo giving in to Marigold's $30,000 bribe if the Mitsubishi PX-3500 chassis is the equivalent of a "theorhetically possible" chassis... :evil:
Anime robot-girls with bangs and long ponytails? That would be a foot on the slippery slope that leads to Megatokyo... And what about the crashed shoe server?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #151 on: 18 Aug 2011, 02:46 »

Ooh, good idea on the return of Dale. I could see that not going over so well, but to great comedic effect. Unlike you, I always liked the Dale/Marigold bits. I guess we'll have to wait and see though. My vote goes to that, even though this vote is really only valid in my head.

AngryCallCenterAgent

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.
« Reply #152 on: 18 Aug 2011, 03:09 »

Quote from: Jeph
The PX-3500 has dual ERPPCs and six medium lasers. It is NICE.
This made my day.  :-D
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #153 on: 18 Aug 2011, 03:24 »

Yay! Mechwarrior reference :-)

Sounds like a proper loadout for a Marauder battlemech. Mmmm... Now it made my day, too. :D

sharpreed

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #154 on: 18 Aug 2011, 03:34 »

Today's comic had me doing a spit take with my cereal. I've really enjoyed this past week. I used to be able to relate to Marigold's character, mostly because I went to school for game design (or is it the other way around) anyways Hanners is a great friend. I cannot wait to see where this leads. I imagine maybe one strip with withdrawal symptoms with Momo not giving in and then seeing a new Marigold out in the world. This strip is largely my favorite part of my morning routine.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #155 on: 18 Aug 2011, 04:21 »

Hannelores thing might be 'for her own good' but I could say the same thing about spreading dust over Hannelores floor or telling her she isn't allowed to clean for six weeks, after all the dirt won't kill her. But I seem to be the minority opinion here, so meh.

woa woa woa...I'm very lazy when it comes to clean up the dust from my room but 6 weeks is too friggin much even for a lazy ass like me.
1-2 weeks sounds far more reasonable specially if you need to take small steps at first.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #156 on: 18 Aug 2011, 05:27 »

. Hannelores thing might be 'for her own good' but I could say the same thing about spreading dust over Hannelores floor or telling her she isn't allowed to clean for six weeks, after all the dirt won't kill her. But I seem to be the minority opinion here, so meh.
It is at least a minority of two instead of one. Of course it is possible Marigold will benefit from taking three days off from games, but Hanners is the last person who is in any position to tell her that. When she was being all dissaproving over the state of cleanliness in Mari's room I was fine with it because that's one example where Hanners is clearly in her element, but obessive/compulsive behaviour? She doesn't get to talk about that.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #157 on: 18 Aug 2011, 05:51 »

Heh, it's obvious that some people don't read the comics too carefully and make up their own stories.
Hanners clearly doesn't live off her parents' money. She has two jobs. Just because we're not seeing her doing the counting business in the comics doesn't mean she's not working on that anymore.

That's why I said "from what I know".  How long ago was that addressed?  Ive read QC before the introduction of Hanners and her personality retcon, Iand I dont remember it being addressed.  I do remember her not taking money from her mother, but since I wasn't sure how she was making money I could only assume.  Even still, it doesn't change the fact that Hanners isn't someone I'd consider to be a good role model for how to live your life.  She has her own issues.

However, Marigold's need to play games, even though Jeph was going for funny, is really quite sad.  I didn't think it was that extreme.  I do hope that Marigold finds other activities that get her up and moving.

I like how everyone considers me a troll for questioning things, namely their life choices as literally every character in QC has something troubling about their lives.  The most stable character in QC as far as making something of herself besides Sven, Dora, is widely believed to need therapy because she dumped Marten, who in the real world would be kind of a loser.  If Dora needs therapy, what does that say about the rest of the cast?  When they tell each other that they aren't doing the right thing, it's like "who are you to talk?" and "how again is this your business?".

If everyone thinks I am trolling though, I will stop questioning plot lines and just keep my mouth shut.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2011, 07:43 by stoutfiles »

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #158 on: 18 Aug 2011, 07:37 »

Meh. Who doesn't need therapy?

As for "making something of themselves".. they´re all twentysomethings.. I know tons of awesome people who still had no Idea what to do with themselves well past 30, so that´s hardly a point. I feel you annoy people, not because of your questioning the character's motives and such, but rather the strong generalizations you tend to spew.

jaredstar

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #159 on: 18 Aug 2011, 07:50 »

Heh, it's obvious that some people don't read the comics too carefully and make up their own stories.
Hanners clearly doesn't live off her parents' money. She has two jobs. Just because we're not seeing her doing the counting business in the comics doesn't mean she's not working on that anymore.

That's why I said "from what I know".  How long ago was that addressed?  Ive read QC before the introduction of Hanners and her personality retcon, Iand I dont remember it being addressed.  I do remember her not taking money from her mother, but since I wasn't sure how she was making money I could only assume.  Even still, it doesn't change the fact that Hanners isn't someone I'd consider to be a good role model for how to live your life.  She has her own issues.

However, Marigold's need to play games, even though Jeph was going for funny, is really quite sad.  I didn't think it was that extreme.  I do hope that Marigold finds other activities that get her up and moving.

I like how everyone considers me a troll for questioning things, namely their life choices as literally every character in QC has something troubling about their lives.  The most stable character in QC as far as making something of herself besides Sven, Dora, is widely believed to need therapy because she dumped Marten, who in the real world would be kind of a loser.  If Dora needs therapy, what does that say about the rest of the cast?  When they tell each other that they aren't doing the right thing, it's like "who are you to talk?" and "how again is this your business?".

If everyone thinks I am trolling though, I will stop questioning plot lines and just keep my mouth shit.

a loser in whos eyes.  He gainfully employed,  Has a fairly close circle of friends and doesn't partake in any thing that is overly negative.  If that is a loser then i hope  can be just as big a loser as him.

As for Dora  its not because she dumped Marten that she needs to get therapy,  It is the issues that caused the break up (her  insecurities) of course thats not to say that marten didn't have his own part to play of course

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #160 on: 18 Aug 2011, 07:54 »

i doubt this is the first mention of her "counting things for a living" but it's the first one i could find. Anyone else know when that was first brought up? Now I'm curious...
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #161 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:03 »

i doubt this is the first mention of her "counting things for a living" but it's the first one i could find. Anyone else know when that was first brought up? Now I'm curious...

Back when Marten first met her

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #162 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:06 »

Hanners counting stuff:  Hanners' counting business.

Edit:  Oops - a little late.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

dragontart

« Reply #163 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:39 »

If everyone thinks I am trolling though, I will stop questioning plot lines and just keep my mouth shut.

Keeping in mind the name of Questionable Content, I'm not sure if it isn't kind of redundant to question it's content. Or if the content would ever plan to head in any (what you'd see as) non-questionable direction.
But apart from that, you're fun to see.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #164 on: 18 Aug 2011, 09:05 »

I like how everyone considers me a troll for questioning things

If you like it when people consider you a troll, THEN A TROLL THOU ART!

lepetitfromage

« Reply #165 on: 18 Aug 2011, 09:22 »

Back when Marten first met her
thanks  :-)

Hanners counting stuff:  Hanners' counting business.

Edit:  Oops - a little late.
and thanks  :-)

and holy crap it took me a second to realize that actually WAS Hanners.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #166 on: 18 Aug 2011, 09:24 »

I think Hannelore is the perfect person to deliver the message because:

[list=1]
  • She is probably the only one who is to be close enough to Marigold for Marigold to listen.
  • Those who say her experience with OCD bar her neglect one thing: as an OCD sufferer Hannelore is in a perfect position to recognise symptoms.
  • Hannelore has made a lot of effort to try and get better (with some success) whereas Marigold is still in a state of denial.
  • Self help groups wouldn't exist if mutual support from people at different stages of experiencing something couldn't help each other out.
Francisco

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #167 on: 18 Aug 2011, 09:27 »

1. D'oh!  I completely missed Jeph's comic comments below comic #1994!  Guess that is what happens when one works the extended late-night shifts :cry: .  Of course, now I want to see a sexy adult-sized Momo with ER-PPC's (Extended Range Particle Pulse Cannons, for those unfamiliar with BattleTech) and Medium Lasers...

2. And yes, the BattleTech reference was pretty good for the miniature gamer readers.  BattleTech was never my particular cup of tea for gaming, but I enjoyed reading the BattleTech Universe itself because was very well written during its early eras.  Unfortunately, the original owning company (FASA) lost control of their product; likewise, BattleTech's woes were compounded by later era horrible, horrible game writers and novelists.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2011, 19:59 by pendrake »

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #168 on: 18 Aug 2011, 09:48 »

2. And yes, the BattleTech reference was pretty good for the miniature gamer readers.  BattleTech was never my particular cup of tea for gaming, but I enjoyed reading the BattleTech Universe itself because was very well written during its early eras.  Unfortunately, the original owning company (FASA) lost control of their product; likewise, BattleTech's woes were compounded by later era horrible, horrible game writers and novelists.

At least they didn't make a crappy movie!

I´m looking at you, Dungeons & Dragons  :x

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #169 on: 18 Aug 2011, 10:45 »

Hannelores thing might be 'for her own good' but I could say the same thing about spreading dust over Hannelores floor or telling her she isn't allowed to clean for six weeks, after all the dirt won't kill her. But I seem to be the minority opinion here, so meh.

woa woa woa...I'm very lazy when it comes to clean up the dust from my room but 6 weeks is too friggin much even for a lazy ass like me.
1-2 weeks sounds far more reasonable specially if you need to take small steps at first.

Ok, fair enough 6 weeks was probably too much, but my point was similar. If someone did that to Hannelore they'd probably be seen as a bad person or something similar by most of the forumites, maybe iin part because of how popular Hannelore is. I still find the behavior kind of questionable, especially given that she isn't even offering to spend time with Marigold or something similar.

[list=1]
  • She is probably the only one who is to be close enough to Marigold for Marigold to listen.
  • Those who say her experience with OCD bar her neglect one thing: as an OCD sufferer Hannelore is in a perfect position to recognise symptoms.
  • Hannelore has made a lot of effort to try and get better (with some success) whereas Marigold is still in a state of denial.
  • Self help groups wouldn't exist if mutual support from people at different stages of experiencing something couldn't help each other out.

A few things.
1) Indeed, but then she should also realize part of the issue is that Marigold has very few close friends, and isn't being invited to hang out with them etc. most of the time. The games are her main form of entertainment and 'grounding' her would have been like Dora, in one of her more motherly moments towards Hannelore, hiding all of her cleaning supplies after she was up all night cleaning.
2) Except that Marigolds problem isn't one of OCD, and I'm not saying that her OCD negates her ability to say anything, just that she would possible be violent if she was barred from cleaning for three days or perhaps even a week.
3) You act like playing video games is some kind of mental disorder. Yeah, her behavior in todays comic is reminiscent of an addict but that might also just be how someone would act with a break in routine. If Penelope had all her books impounded she might be willing to pay well to get access to a few of them and I doubt people would be scolding her for 'book addiction'.
4) Once again, Marigold is not experiencing OCD.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2011, 10:55 by Blackjoker »
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

michael28

« Reply #170 on: 18 Aug 2011, 11:49 »

mine two.
Sounds like a warhammer variant. I hope for clan tech :D.

@VonKleist speaking of crappy movies. have you seen the wh40k cgi movie.
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

lepetitfromage

« Reply #171 on: 18 Aug 2011, 11:57 »

It hasn't been said directly by Hannelore, but one would think that being friends and spending time with each other on a regular basis would imply that Hanners isn't planning on just abandoning Marigold.

Also- i don't think anyone said Mari was having an issue with OCD- simply that Hanners attention to detail and over-analysis of things would help her in seeing a problem and figuring out a way that she thinks would help resolve it (at least to some degree).

I think most of us here don't think that gamers- even those who are intensely involved- have disorders. Just that maybe Mari's friends would like to see her break out of her shell and spend time with her a little more. I think they can see she's interested, but a little afraid of social interaction because she's not used to it (as seen in the party scene and her awkwardness in relation to pursuing Angus). In the grand scheme of things, a week really isn't much time away from a game, compared to the amount of progress that could be made.

BUT- if she just sits in her room with her thumb up her ass for the whole week, then Hanner's whole plan was for naught, in which case I will agree with you. Only time will tell.

edited for stupid spelling error  :roll:
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2011, 11:58 by lepetitfromage »

Hybris

• Not quite a lurker
  • U-17 Silent Hunter
« Reply #172 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:02 »

Its been a lifetime or two since I have posted here but I just had to post and give major thumbs up to the Battletech\MechWarrior reference. :-D
I think though Marigold should go straight for the PX-5500 it has Quad ERPPC's, two Heavy X-Pulse lasers, and twin Clan Light Gauss Rifles along with an the sensor suite from a Raven.

btw Atlas 4 life.  :-D :roll:
"Overkill is better then being killed" General FPS rule of thumb

"I'm back bitches!"

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #173 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:19 »

If everyone thinks I am trolling though, I will stop questioning plot lines and just keep my mouth shit.

a loser in whos eyes.  He gainfully employed,  Has a fairly close circle of friends and doesn't partake in any thing that is overly negative.  If that is a loser then i hope  can be just as big a loser as him.

As for Dora  its not because she dumped Marten that she needs to get therapy,  It is the issues that caused the break up (her  insecurities) of course thats not to say that marten didn't have his own part to play of course

This has all been discussed in my other threads, the "Marten has no goals" thread and "does Dora really need therapy" thread.  I won't rehash those topics here, but yes, a loser in my eyes.  He seems to be improving as bringing back the band is something.

I like how everyone considers me a troll for questioning things

If you like it when people consider you a troll, THEN A TROLL THOU ART!

Thank you for ignoring the 'for questioning things' part of my sentence.  I may have unagreeable opinions but I don't misquote people to insult them.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #174 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:24 »

Don't forget Dora's the one who made Mar-bear feel better after  learning the awful truth about Faye and Angus. Not to mention protecting her from Faye's snark and Sven's c**k.

:wink:
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #175 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:28 »

The most stable character in QC as far as making something of herself besides Sven, Dora

Yeah... I totally forgot that work success = being a stable person.
Cool story bro.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #176 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:50 »

Hey folks, don't stray into exchanging insults. 

• Having strong views, or views that you disagree with is not what defines a troll.
  • Expressing what I might describe as "a protestant work ethic" does not make a troll either.

Please accept differences of opinion or viewpoint, and either express your disagreement in a neutral manner or present a reasoned argument in favour of your preference.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #177 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:52 »

Ok, fair enough 6 weeks was probably too much, but my point was similar. If someone did that to Hannelore they'd probably be seen as a bad person or something similar by most of the forumites, maybe iin part because of how popular Hannelore is. I still find the behavior kind of questionable, especially given that she isn't even offering to spend time with Marigold or something similar.

I have to disagree; while limiting Marigold to 3 days of no games may seem harsh to you, dumping dirt on hanners' floor is by no means similar. For one, that's Hanners' LIVING SPACE you're destroying. I'm a game freak, too, and not a neat freak, but I could easily survive the temporary game ban by, y'know, doing something ELSE as a hobby because that's what I'd need to do; dumping a bunch of dirt on my floor and telling me I'm not allowed to clean it for weeks would get you a colossal "WTF" from me, and at best a ban on ever coming over.

Also, since when is Hanners Marigold's friend-agent? Is Marigold so crippled by her shut-in nature that without her videogames, she is so helpless to require Hannelore to fill that time herself? She has her Yaoi, she has TV, and, oh yeah, she has new friends she could go see at CoD. She even has an Anthro-PC with her well-being in mind and her own personality. That in itself out to be more than enough interest for 3 days' worth. The punchline was played just fine if you ask me. ;)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #178 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:53 »

Hannelore's jobs are not difficult to find out about. They're documented on the wiki, with links to the strips that introduced them.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #179 on: 18 Aug 2011, 13:05 »

This has all been discussed in my other threads, the "Marten has no goals" thread and "does Dora really need therapy" thread.  I won't rehash those topics here, but yes, a loser in my eyes.  He seems to be improving as bringing back the band is something.

Actually, if I may, the "Does Dora really need therapy" thread you're referencing began and ended with the same thing as is going on here - you believe the forumites think Dora needs therapy for dumping Marten, while the forumites collectively (back in that thread) suggested instead that it was for her insecurities that overtake her more rational thought processes. (Although I have to admit I'm curious as to why, if you didn't want to rehash those topics, did you bring them up out of the blue? If people wish to revisit them, they're free to, but it need not be revived here. ;) )

Back on topic, though, I do personally find it fair to have a character, who may have a more personal involvement, to be the one to talk to another character about an aspect they would like to change. Hanners is very much aware of Marigold's desire to be out with other people, and accepted. She knows Marigold would want a boyfriend based on her words and actions. Hanners knows what being the odd one out is like. If anyone is to be delivering that punishment, Hanners is that person; whether or not that punishment is needed, now that could be a matter of opinion. :)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #180 on: 18 Aug 2011, 13:08 »

I have to disagree; while limiting Marigold to 3 days of no games may seem harsh to you, dumping dirt on hanners' floor is by no means similar. For one, that's Hanners' LIVING SPACE you're destroying. I'm a game freak, too, and not a neat freak, but I could easily survive the temporary game ban by, y'know, doing something ELSE as a hobby because that's what I'd need to do; dumping a bunch of dirt on my floor and telling me I'm not allowed to clean it for weeks would get you a colossal "WTF" from me, and at best a ban on ever coming over.

Like he said: You don't really need to throw some dirt on her house. But not clean it in a week (because seriously.. how awful can be a week in a place like hers that is so minimal) is a more reasonable thought tbh.

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #181 on: 18 Aug 2011, 13:13 »

Its been a lifetime or two since I have posted here but I just had to post and give major thumbs up to the Battletech\MechWarrior reference. :-D
I think though Marigold should go straight for the PX-5500 it has Quad ERPPC's, two Heavy X-Pulse lasers, and twin Clan Light Gauss Rifles along with an the sensor suite from a Raven.

btw Atlas 4 life.  :-D :roll:

Pfft.

A Marauder could out-range it and outrun an Atlas. ;)
But if you're going for newer tech, I'd pit a Blood Asp's dual Gauss and quad heavy medium's against the best of the Inner Sphere any day.

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #182 on: 18 Aug 2011, 13:17 »

Like he said: You don't really need to throw some dirt on her house. But not clean it in a week (because seriously.. how awful can be a week in a place like hers that is so minimal) is a more reasonable thought tbh.

This is true. The issue I'd take with that, though is: why? To be clear, are we equating Hanners' OCD versus dirt with Marigold's gaming addiction?

Edit: After posting it and a few more random thoughts, equating the two actually does seem more sensible in the fact that both Hanners and Marigold are socially ... "off," for lack of a better term, and both would like to be not so "off" but neither has *quite* grasped that their OCD and Gaming, respectively, is really what's preventing them. Hanners went on a mock date, true, but we haven't seen much more come from that outing.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2011, 13:24 by Spectreofwar »

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #183 on: 18 Aug 2011, 13:28 »

[list=1]

I agree with all those reasons, and I think it is also that, as with Jeph's description of 1473, Hannelore and Marigold are not as self-aware as the other characters and so oblivious to the slight silliness of Hanners "grounding" her. The precise use of that phrase does imply parental responsibility, 'doing this for your own good', 'harsh but fair', etc, and that's what Marigold needs. 'Intervention' sounds a lot more aggressive.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #184 on: 18 Aug 2011, 15:54 »

To be clear, are we equating Hanners' OCD versus dirt with Marigold's gaming addiction?

Nah, I don't really like to make generalizations so I always try to look at someone's issues as just one individual case. Also... I think OCD is more of a serious issue than gaming addiction but that's just my opinion though.

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #185 on: 18 Aug 2011, 16:19 »

Don't give in Momo!This is natural withdrawal behavior, and you will only be feeding Marigold's addiction. Resist! RESIST!
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #186 on: 18 Aug 2011, 17:03 »

A more cruel and unusual punishment for Hanners would be to tell her to allow someone else to clean her house for a week.

Also, Marigold needs kind of the opposite of a grounding - an order to go outside!

But as a former WoW addict, I know how those compulsions to play and progress can make staying away from the game for a week pretty difficult (unless the physical opportunity to play is removed).

Hanners should take her out somewhere. She needs to find an alternative activity. The easiest way to drop a bad habit is to replace it with a healthier one.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Nick and Marla

• Plantmonster
« Reply #187 on: 18 Aug 2011, 17:36 »

Meh. Who doesn't need therapy?
I would like to think nearly everyone.
If I'm being an jerk, I'm Nick.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #188 on: 18 Aug 2011, 17:46 »

Hmm, Nick & Marla, perhaps a better question would be "Who wouldn't benefit from therapy?"

I can agree that not a lot of people actually need therapy (though there are some), but that generally most people would benefit from it. It does provide a certain something that can be, well, therapeutic.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #189 on: 18 Aug 2011, 17:56 »

What's more, therapy can take many forms beyond "lying on the couch."

Anyway, I hardly think that pointing out the many and varied issues of the QC cast counts as "questioning the plot". It's more like "pointing out the bleeding obvious". It's kind of the central feature of the comic. It's been made fun of by at least one guest comic.* I have a vague idea that Jeph himself has commented on it, but I can't really recall. It's what makes the comic interesting, for me at least.

If it makes the comic annoying for you, then I wonder what keeps you reading? <--- serious question, I would be interested to know.

Complaining loudly that Marten hasn't sorted out his goals, to pick a prominent example, would seems to me the same as complaining that Calvin never outgrows his pet tiger, that Charlie Brown never kicks the football, or that the Coyote never catches the Road Runner. What story is left to tell after that?

* "hey guys, which female character am i? / am i the one with the crippling psychological problems / [Note at bottom: that's all of them do you get it]"
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #190 on: 18 Aug 2011, 18:06 »

Or 1266, with the punch line of the therapist paying Jeph for referrals.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Throg

• will accordion for food
« Reply #191 on: 18 Aug 2011, 18:38 »

Dual ER-PPC's and six medium lasers?  Yer gonna need a lot of heatsinks for that load-out...   :-P

As for Hanners and Marigold both being socially 'off' -- I'd say that Marigold is a lot more socially awkward than Hannelore.  I mean, way back when H's original appearance, she was a somewhat snarky but well-adjusted chick.  
(I wonder if we'll ever see Hanners *back* on medication with that personality re-appearing...probably not, b/c quirky-neurotic-cute Hanners is more entertaining.)  But Hannelore has always been a lot more willing to stretch boundaries -- joining in with beer sledding, karaoke, touching a toilet seat to show up her mom -- while Marigold seems to need that push.
SQUEEZE BOX

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #192 on: 18 Aug 2011, 19:15 »

And who better to push her than Hanners? :D

sharpreed

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #193 on: 18 Aug 2011, 19:27 »

"that the Coyote never catches the Road Runner."
I know this is slightly off topic but Coyote did catch the Road Runner at least one time...however it was only after going through a series of pipes that made each one bigger and smaller. Coyote was giant and Road Runner was mini.

Other than that the point you made was very much so correct. I still can't believe all the arguing going on over this story arc. I mean its just good old cornball humor its both sweet and endearing. I for one have enjoyed this week thoroughly. Will MoMo give in? Will Marigold play her games? Will Hanners show up in the middle of the night for a surprise inspection? Tune in, in just a few hours for all this and more will be revealed. Same Bat time same; same bat channel.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #194 on: 18 Aug 2011, 19:33 »

Wait, what'd he do when he caught the Road Runner?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sharpreed

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #195 on: 18 Aug 2011, 19:37 »

He holds up a giant sign saying "now that I have him, what do I do with him"... This is because he's to big to eat road runner. Its kind of anticlimactic but satisfies an itch at the same time.

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #196 on: 18 Aug 2011, 19:37 »

Will Hanners show up in the middle of the night for a surprise inspection?
That is so totally Friday's comic it's not even funny.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Alus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #197 on: 18 Aug 2011, 20:30 »

1. D'oh! ...ER-PPC's (Extended Range Particle Pulse Cannons, for those unfamiliar with BattleTech) and Medium Lasers...

ahem, Particle Proyection Cannon. Yes, my day was also made by the MechWarrior reference (loving it since Mechwarrior 2 and The Warrior Trilogy). Proof that this webcomic just keeps getting awesomer.

and sorry for the creepy joke, I had no idea those werent welcome.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #198 on: 18 Aug 2011, 20:31 »

He holds up a giant sign saying "now that I have him, what do I do with him"... This is because he's to big to eat road runner. Its kind of anticlimactic but satisfies an itch at the same time.

You have it backwards, unless they released a new episode.  The Coyote is the one who gets small, not the Road Runner.  He jumps on to his leg and hugs it with glee, then holds up a sign referring to the fact that he's too small to eat him.

So am I the only one that found Marigold's comment at the end depressing instead of funny?  I know Jeph was going for funny, I get that, but she's incredibly desperate to play video games at the very beginning of her "grounding" and you see how serious her addiction really is.  While the punishment is silly, it appears she really needs it.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #199 on: 18 Aug 2011, 20:45 »

Actually, it was the reverse...  Wile E. Coyote was still miniature and Road Runner was back to normal size (thus a "giant" to Wile E. Coyote's perspective).

Of course, one of my personal favorites is when Wile E. Coyote (Genius) first verbally introduced himself and stated his intent to catch & eat Bugs Bunny.  Standard Wile E Coyote (Super Genius! at that point) hilarity ensues.

P.S. Edit Add: stoutfiles beat me to it.  /highfive for "classic" WB cartoons
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2011, 20:46 by pendrake »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up