THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 13 May 2024, 14:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Good morning Faye! I made some coffee...
- 0 (0%)
SLUUUURRP (right from the pot)
- 2 (3.7%)
Is CoD hiring?
- 0 (0%)
"Tragic accident" (This stuff BETTER not be poisoned)
- 2 (3.7%)
Momo at the library! Are you hiring?
- 1 (1.9%)
"I've got free reign."
- 1 (1.9%)
"Is that something you are supposed to put on your resume?"
- 5 (9.3%)
Winslow brought Momo those samples...
- 1 (1.9%)
There's... there's nothing! Her entire system is blank!
- 1 (1.9%)
Big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- 7 (13%)
She got a new chassis. (We must burn it. To keep it out of Pintsize's hands.)
- 6 (11.1%)
Hey, mister triple-shot latte.
- 1 (1.9%)
Technically, I'm only 2.7 years old.
- 0 (0%)
You got a robot PREGNANT?
- 17 (31.5%)
Samantha meets Momo!
- 4 (7.4%)
Pokemons 513, 397, 456...
- 1 (1.9%)
Do you REALLY know all that?
- 0 (0%)
Please. I live with Marigold.
- 5 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2006-2010 (5-9 Sep 2011)  (Read 75122 times)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
Re: WCDT: 2006-2010 (5-9 Sep 2011)
« Reply #300 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:05 »

Momo is insulted about Marten suspecting that she is just googling things up. I think I like her.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #301 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:16 »

Modern Westernized parents, and US parents in particular, have a tendency to be terrified something bad will happen to their child if that child is out of their sight or not safe at home, so they tend to get overprotective.

At five, I was going to school by a short bus ride; at six a bus ride right across town.  At seven I was cycling in to town for choir practice, and cycling back in the dark*. I can't remember the age I was when I cycled to and from my family holiday for the year - 110 miles, stopping at a youth hostel on the way - about twelve years, maybe thirteen.

* My mother wrote a doggerel verse about it:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2011, 15:46 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #302 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:52 »

As in my ancestral culture, a polite evasion would always be preferable to a bald "No".

This is just my opinion of course: I'm not a great fan of that kind of evasion.
Then again, Momo's answer was more about a "social protocole" rather than dishonesty which I can perfectly understand and even approve. Her answer is still different and far better than people who say "It's interesting" instead of saying that they just don't like it... I mean, talk about giving mixing signals to other people, jeez.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #303 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:04 »

What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Good morning Faye! I made some coffee...    - 0 (0%)
SLUUUURRP (right from the pot)    - 2 (6.3%)
Is CoD hiring?    - 0 (0%)
"Tragic accident" (This stuff BETTER not be poisoned)    - 2 (6.3%)
Momo at the library! Are you hiring?    - 1 (3.1%)
"I've got free reign."    - 0 (0%)
"Is that something you are supposed to put on your resume?"    - 4 (12.5%)
Winslow brought Momo those samples...    - 1 (3.1%)
There's... there's nothing! Her entire system is blank!    - 1 (3.1%)
Big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO    - 3 (9.4%)
She got a new chassis. (We must burn it. To keep it out of Pintsize's hands.)    - 4 (12.5%)
Hey, mister triple-shot latte.    - 1 (3.1%)
Technically, I'm only 2.7 years old.    - 0 (0%)
You got a robot PREGNANT?    - 10 (31.3%)
Samantha meets Momo!    - 2 (6.3%)
Pokemons 513, 397, 456...    - 0 (0%)
Do you REALLY know all that?    - 0 (0%)
Please. I live with Marigold.    - 1 (3.1%)

Total Voters: 32
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #304 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:08 »

But bike riding through traffic? Even relatively sedate US/Australian traffic?

We (as in Finland) have a reasonable network of bicycle lanes, but nowhere near as comprehensive one as, say Denmark or the Netherlands. I try to commute twice a week by bike (not possible when there is snow in the ground), so I use them regularly. Cannot boast with feats like Paul's as my parents' summer cottage is only 60k away (and I was over 15 the first time I rode my bike out there). In rural areas the curbs are often wide enough to ride a bike on. Children under the age of 12 are allowed to ride their bikes on sidewalks among pedestrians. IOW: safety is a concern, but solutions exist.

How do you get millions of kids to/from school, if they never go out by themselves? Is *everybody* using a school bus in the U.S? I would have thought that school buses are used only in areas where no other method of transportation is available?
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2011, 03:10 by Skewbrow »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #305 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:37 »

...It's a long story.

See, there was this thing that happened in the late 1950's - Brown v. Board of Education. It basically struck down the concept of "separate but equal" in terms of schooling, which led to school districts across the nation suddenly being required to have an equal number of minority youth at every school in their districts.

Many school districts realized they could do this by providing bus service to suburban youth to inner-city schools. That was about two generations ago. Now, because of things like school choice, busing is essentially the only way for some kids to get to their school.

Of course, one thing that most Europeans don't realize is how spread out most American cities are. I live in a relatively small city of about 10,000; it's located in an area roughly 6 miles by 3 miles, or about 18 square miles (46.62 square km). While that may not sound like much, you need to realize we have two rivers that divide the city into three sections, and that we are also in a rather hilly part of the state. Add to that the little thing we call "Winter" here (very bitter cold temperatures, occasional snowstorms and the like) and busing doesn't seem like a luxury as much as a necessity.

There's also the cultural thing about Americans and the open road and such, but that's for those of driving age. The situation within the comic here (bringing the topic back to QC) is rather unusual compared to most parts of the US. The fact that only Dora, Steve and Raven own cars (and Dora doesn't use hers much) isn't normal, unless you live in either the northeastern US, or in a large city where transit is an option.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #306 on: 10 Sep 2011, 04:12 »

I'm noticing recently that Jeph has started showing eyebrows through light hair - he didn't in the past, e.g. 1588.
That's just Momo. She is still culturally Japanese and that's in keeping with the manga style she's drawn after.
Not just Momo, and not just light hair. See Marigold in the first panel of 2003. Unless anime conventions apply to her too?

If they did her outfit and body would be slightly different...  More of one, less of the other.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

YourMaster

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #307 on: 10 Sep 2011, 04:42 »

I lived in a rural Canadian town, population 7000 -- and the largest community for some distance in any direction.  I could and did walk or bike to school, but I was the exception, not the rule, since I lived right nearby.  Sometimes kids had to sit in the bus more than an hour in winter each way to and from the high school, and the bus wasn't going slowly.  Elementary schools are smaller are more distributed, but biking would still be impractical for a large portion of students.  In fact, my elementary school was closer to home than the high school, but I did take the bus there in winter -- at first because I was too young to trek that far in the dead of winter, and later because I was leading my cousins to and from school and they were too young.

That said, I see nothing weird at all about a 13 year old being alone in a bakery, especially since the outside doesn't seem like a winter wonderland.  I'm sure I did that at 13.  In more densely populated areas I'd expect it to happen much, much more.

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #308 on: 10 Sep 2011, 05:21 »

oh man the school bus...I grew up in a rural town of about 3000-4000 people give or take, but the actual city part of it (where the businesses/schools/shops etc were located was only about 3 square miles or so. The majority of students actually lived waaaay out of town, spread out in all four directions - we had a hell of a lot of buses and most bused students rode them all the way from K-12, unless they were lucky enough to have a car when they hit 16 and got permits/licenses. I was lucky enough, and let me tell you I was so happy xD
Especially since the area were the buses started out from was a ten minute walk from my house so I was literally the second person on my bus in the morning and the last person off my bus after school. Getting up at 5:00am, waiting out in the freezing dark at 6:00 and riding a cold (or sometimes overheated in the winter hurr) bus for an hour and a half was not enjoyable.
Got me used to commuting though I guess.

Closely clustered cities with public transport are actually pretty rare in the US I think, with some things even rarer. I've still never been on a subway or above-ground train, for instance.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2011, 05:24 by rje »
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #309 on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:09 »

How do you get millions of kids to/from school, if they never go out by themselves? Is *everybody* using a school bus in the U.S? I would have thought that school buses are used only in areas where no other method of transportation is available?

In the recent past, yes, but nowadays, quite a few parents drive their kids to school, because they don't trust the school bus. :psyduck:

(Then again, based on my experience being in school buses (and I've had 2 hour bus rides, for a school ~30 minutes by car or so away), that's not necessarily unfair.)

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #310 on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:32 »

The area I grew up in had no bike lanes, no sidewalks. I lived close to my high school compared to most people and I was still 5 miles away. I walked it a few times when in high school, but it was all down a large highway. I wouldn't want people under 12 walking down the side of a highway with steep shoulders with cars flying by at 60mph right next to them.

The thing isn't about being paranoid its about the layout of where we grow up being much different. I let my kids play outside all the time now without my supervision (though my 5 year old son needs to have my 10 year old sister with him if he goes out, she can go out by herself), but they don't leave the small subdivision I live in. Outside of that is highway. No sidewalks, no bike lanes, just cars flying by at high speed.

We walk out each morning to put the kids on the bus, and go to the bus stop to pick them up every afternoon (though, this one is because the school won't let a kindergartener off the bus without a parent present, personally they could walk home by themselves, and my daughter does if my son is home sick).

Things are just spread out. Not only spread out but they are connected by large highways, and bike lanes only exist inside cities. there are sidewalks inside the main roads of small towns and larger.

And yes, for the most part kids in the US ride school buses. In large cities there might be more people who walk or ride a bike, but I grew up in a rural area, and now live right outside a small city, and VERY few people walk or ride a bike, its just not feasible.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #311 on: 10 Sep 2011, 07:04 »

Marten's just a good grounding force. Got his feet deeply rooted in reality, he's mellow and helpful, he generally sounds like he knows what he's talking about, never makes a big deal out of the shortcomings, failings, or screwups of those around him. Always listens and knows just how to diffuse an emotionally turbulent situation.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1818
That's an isolated incident. He was severely depressed and very, very drunk. I'm not saying that excuses it, but that's one specific time.

It's just as easy to post a link to this comic (He does a ton of nice things for Dora and tries to cheer her up when he realizes she's not having a good day) or even this one, where he's making sure Tai is careful with Hanners. Even when his closest friends aren't around, he's not judging Hannelore for who she is and tries to take care of her. Even when things are awful, he still tries to do the right thing and can even appropriately bring in just the right amount of humor, like in this strip.

I've known plenty of people who were severly drunk and depressed, but they didn't say dickish things.  Alcohol brings out repressed thoughts, it doesn't make up new ones.  It takes away inhibitions.  Faye let it go because she had to, she's done so many dickish things it's a wonder she has friends sometimes.

I would say that the nice guy role has been taken away by Hanners, or Marigold, or Momo, or Winslow.  While none of them are typically guys, even Angus has a better track record so far.  Marten is generally a nice guy but, I'm sorry, after that incident I'd go to Hannelore for help with something.  Marten seems quite bitter about people going to him for help, because he doesn't get anything out of it.

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #312 on: 10 Sep 2011, 07:14 »

I've known plenty of people who were severly drunk and depressed, but they didn't say dickish things.  Alcohol brings out repressed thoughts, it doesn't make up new ones.  It takes away inhibitions.  Faye let it go because she had to, she's done so many dickish things it's a wonder she has friends sometimes.

I would say that the nice guy role has been taken away by Hanners, or Marigold, or Momo, or Winslow.  While none of them are typically guys, even Angus has a better track record so far.  Marten is generally a nice guy but, I'm sorry, after that incident I'd go to Hannelore for help with something.  Marten seems quite bitter about people going to him for help, because he doesn't get anything out of it.

How we treat our friends on a daily basis is how we really act, and hopefully how our friends see what they mean to us. The fact that Marten had one incident where he was indeed bitter about the outcome of a certain event was enough to condemn him entirely for you, is it? Do your friends never make mistakes? :P

gangler

« Reply #313 on: 10 Sep 2011, 07:24 »

I've never done a school bus before, but I certainly was never allowed to wander too far from the adult supervision as a child. When I was a kid I was able to play outside in our housing complex, and not if there weren't already some of the trusted neighborhood parents watching the kids at play from their front step.

I could also be trusted to walk to the variety store which was outside of the housing complex, but in retrospect that was really contingent on my ability to walk straight there and back without wandering off.

In highschool I was granted a little more freedom. My parents wouldn't question if I came home late from school. From there the boundaries extended pretty organically as I kept having cause to go new places farther away and they kept not having reason to object to it. By the time I was sixteen I could pretty much go wherever I wanted so long as I brought payphone money to tell them where I was and they felt pretty comfortable just leaving me to my own devices.

It just makes sense to me. Wouldn't have occurred to me that there would be urban circles where it wasn't considered usual to keep an eye on the kids. Kids are stupid. I was no exception. The city is not a friendly place for unsupervised children. Children go missing they often don't come back in one piece. We all know how kids get with wandering off the moment you take your eyes off them.

I mean heck, it's hard to even move about the city without someone taller to get the cars to notice you. If you get lost then that's just complete hell after it gets dark.

This being said I didn't find it odd that someone so young would be unsupervised in a bakery. Even in a city there are a lot of reasons that could be. She could live right down the street from the bakery and her parents know she knows the way. The bakery could be on her way to school. Thirteen is ninth grade so this could be where she comes for her lunch break. She could just be an unsupervised child in general. There are always some of those hanging around. Either got some oddball parents with unorthodox parenting philosophies or just regular run of the mill negligence. Latch key kids can be found from time to time just doing their thing. The degree of supervision still doesn't mean it's an alien concept to see a kid walking around without an adult clearly attached to them.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #314 on: 10 Sep 2011, 07:58 »

I hereby accept that it's not as unusual-sounding as I originally thought to think of a 13yo in a bakery unsupervised.

What about CoD? Faye would probably want to behead first and ask questions later, no?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #315 on: 10 Sep 2011, 08:02 »

Not if Marten's there. He never lets her murder ANYBODY.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #316 on: 10 Sep 2011, 08:24 »

Although I was under the impression that whoever it was that found it odd forgot that tSB was a bakery, and was a coffee shop.

And, a 13 year old in a coffee shop is a bit odd, at least IME - then again, when I was 13, I went to school with a bunch of kids that would uncontrollably bounce off the walls if you gave them even a little caffeine.

gangler

« Reply #317 on: 10 Sep 2011, 08:57 »

Probably depends on the coffee shop. Tim Hortons you'd assume they're there for donuts or cookies or perhaps even their spectacular fruitsplosion muffins. Starbucks has some nice brownies, a hot chocolate that my sister freaking loved when she was around ten. Little bit older than that now. About Sam's age. Now she likes their Chai latte which I guess must not be a coffee variant since our parents buy them for her and the church doesn't condone coffee. I also hear there's remarkably little coffee in their coffee, so maybe it would be a bit easier on the children?

I don't know about other coffee places. Don't drink a lot of the stuff. It doesn't sound outlandish to me though that there would be small time coffee establishments with a more non-child-friendly atmosphere which doesn't pad the wares with delicious baked goods.

But yeah, I get that. Coffee isn't something you associate with children. Some kids do better with the caffeine than others, but you don't wanna give them large doses of the stuff to guzzle down as a general rule of thumb. Plus it's not a flavor you'd think children would want to begin with. Then there's the fact that it's a hot drink. Often served more than hot enough for a child to severely burn themselves.

Reasoning or not though when I think Coffee I don't think children.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #318 on: 10 Sep 2011, 09:03 »

Although I was under the impression that whoever it was that found it odd forgot that tSB was a bakery, and was a coffee shop.

And, a 13 year old in a coffee shop is a bit odd, at least IME - then again, when I was 13, I went to school with a bunch of kids that would uncontrollably bounce off the walls if you gave them even a little caffeine.

But a 13 year old hanging around the business her father owns ISN'T that weird. I'm starting to think that people are forgetting the connection there.

vettechinohio

« Reply #319 on: 10 Sep 2011, 09:29 »

Now she likes their Chai latte which I guess must not be a coffee variant since our parents buy them for her and the church doesn't condone coffee.

Chai is a type of tea, mixed with milk and spices. One of my favorite drinks (:

You can't do that to a jellyfish! I'm calling the authorities, you dirty jelly molester!

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #320 on: 10 Sep 2011, 10:15 »

Stoutflies, you enjoy ruffling feathers, don't you? Nothing wrong with that necessarily, and you do it the right way, but I don't think I've ever seen you agree with the popular notions about the comic, generally taking a more negative or pessimistic view of what's going on.

Anyway, that said, I know lots of people who have gotten drunk and not said something stupid or hurtful as well. I also know that most of those same people have indeed on rare occasion done or said something stupid or hurtful, regardless of their level of sobriety. I think the evidence already presented starts to show a picture of a very "real" person who has a genuinely kind heart (would you invite some person you just met to live with you after that person burned down his/her old apartment, regardless of whether or not you had a crush?), but like everyone, sometimes reaches a tipping point and says something stupid.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #321 on: 10 Sep 2011, 11:55 »

Huh. On an archive trawl, I just realized that human-form AnthroPCs have been around far longer than I remembered, if we're counting one-off jokes.

Edit: Also, spoiler tags are sometimes used to hide blocks of texts that may be long or not of interest to everyone.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2011, 11:57 by Arancaytar »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #322 on: 10 Sep 2011, 13:36 »

Wow. Great catch.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #323 on: 10 Sep 2011, 14:00 »

The other thing about busing is, when there was the population explosion in the 1960's and 1970's, a lot of school districts bought land on the (then) outskirts of town to build new schools. The economy in the aftermath of the OPEC oil crisis meant that those schools stayed on the outskirts of town, which meant that the only way kids could get there was by bus.

I've been on an Amtrak train, but never on one of the "Els" or subways. It's not all that.

Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #324 on: 10 Sep 2011, 14:12 »

Huh. On an archive trawl, I just realized that human-form AnthroPCs have been around far longer than I remembered, if we're counting one-off jokes.

Eve's existence has been pointed out before. She's actually a prototype (as was Hanner's robo-boyfriend), and it's also debatable as to whether or not she's a true APC.

If Apple actually made AI chassis, she'd probably be... oh, you know the joke, fill it in your iSelf.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #325 on: 10 Sep 2011, 15:12 »

This is probably a stupid question, but... why did you spoilerify a poem by your mother? What could it possibly be spoiling?

A whim...  Oh, to avoid distracting from the main point of the post.  Or something.   Don't make me think so late at night!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook
« Reply #326 on: 10 Sep 2011, 15:44 »

oh, you know the joke, fill it in your iSelf.

iDon't think iDo.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #327 on: 10 Sep 2011, 21:38 »

The stories of 1hr+ school bus rides to and fro made me realize that we simply adopted a different solution to the problem of educating kids in sparsely populated areas. Build a lot of tiny schools (20 students or less not unheard of). An expensive solution in some ways, and the stories of these old schools being abandoned have been common now that politicians and administrators are sold on the idea of "bigger is better". Surely this has been tried in the U.S. as well (thinking "Little House on the Prairie"), so nothing new there. May be I have just been lucky to live most of my years around a town of roughly 200000. The longest trip to school I've ever had was 13 k : 10-15 minute walk at both ends and a 15minute bus trip in between. By local standards that was an exceptionally long trip (my younger sister only had a 2˝ k walk, but I had started at another school, and chose not to transfer when we moved). Proximity of a school was given a lot of weight, when missus and I were shopping for a home.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #328 on: 11 Sep 2011, 02:49 »

What Skewbrow describes was exactly the case in the  part of Ohio i. Wich I grew up, and in most other areas of the Midwestern US as well. I've seen maps of my township showing a (usually one-room) school building every couple of miles around the middle of the 19th century. Not even the foundation stones remain of most of those buildings. As population grew and more and more became expected of schools ( either from societal want or governmental fiat) the one- room schoolhouse was less able to cut it. I has a bus ride of either five minutes or 45 minutes, depending on which direction Bus 19 ran its route. Sometimes when I knew i wa getting the short (long?) end of the stick and it was a nice day, I walked, and didn't always tell Mom. In the early 80s, it was still a nice walk in the country. With the traffic on that road nowadays, it would be insane.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #329 on: 11 Sep 2011, 06:40 »

Then there's the fact that it's a hot drink. Often served more than hot enough for a child to severely burn themselves.
Really? Seriously? A 13-year-old can't manage a hot drink without burning themselves? I didn't drink coffee at 13, but certainly made and drank tea (OMG she's boiling a kettle! Call Social Services!).

As for the supposed evils of caffeine, parents seem quite happy to let children way younger than 13 guzzle caffeinated, sugar-loaded soft drinks. Chai (simply another word for tea) certainly contains caffeine unless it is some special decaffeinated brew. In places where generally tea is just called "tea", chai normally means spiced tea, and the tea in that is normally quite strong so that its flavour is not covered by the spices. Incidentally, hot chocolate and cocoa also contain caffeine, as does most bar chocolate.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #330 on: 11 Sep 2011, 06:51 »

She could just be hanging out there because her dad owns the place.  :psyduck:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #331 on: 11 Sep 2011, 07:47 »

Naw, that's too easy an explanation.  She was in a daring mood and went out to find some Pokemon aficionados in a coffee shop.  Just for the heck of it.  :mrgreen:

Okay, coincidentally her father does own the store.  Maybe she felt lazy, too.
"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"
"Your ass looks fat in that skirt.  I mean, yes Ma'am."

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #332 on: 11 Sep 2011, 08:02 »

gangler

« Reply #333 on: 11 Sep 2011, 09:15 »

Then there's the fact that it's a hot drink. Often served more than hot enough for a child to severely burn themselves.
Really? Seriously? A 13-year-old can't manage a hot drink without burning themselves? I didn't drink coffee at 13, but certainly made and drank tea (OMG she's boiling a kettle! Call Social Services!).

As for the supposed evils of caffeine, parents seem quite happy to let children way younger than 13 guzzle caffeinated, sugar-loaded soft drinks. Chai (simply another word for tea) certainly contains caffeine unless it is some special decaffeinated brew. In places where generally tea is just called "tea", chai normally means spiced tea, and the tea in that is normally quite strong so that its flavour is not covered by the spices. Incidentally, hot chocolate and cocoa also contain caffeine, as does most bar chocolate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

Look, I'm sure children as a whole can manage to not spill the stuff on themselves. I'm sure they exercise all due caution. When some of these places are serving their drinks hot enough for third degree burns in under twenty seconds though it's a cause for parental concern.

I mean hell, I still spill a drink occasionally. I'll be getting careless as I read and then there it is all over me. Cold drink it's a simple change of clothes. 160 degree drink I may or may not require medical attention because of this. Nothing lethal, but parents worry about this kind of shit.

Couple this with the fact that children are freaking notorious for not exercising proper caution due to a lack of understanding of the inherent consequences of their actions and yeah, I do think some parents don't trust their children with these kinds of drinks. Some parents don't have children they can trust to cook at age thirteen.

There are a lot of different parenting philosophies and degrees of protectiveness. Some parents look at young Sam burning down the kitchen and take efforts not to have their child dealing with that in the future. 

And yes. I am aware that plenty of parents allow their children to drink lots of caffeine. That's how generalities work. There are a sufficiently large number of children who don't drink coffee that it is the children who do who are in the minority.

Maybe your experiences have been different. Maybe the attitudes where you live are different. I just don't see that many children drinking coffee. I know one dude who was allowed to drink coffee as a child, but he wasn't overly fond of it.

Finally, you're addressing the issue as if these are my personal attitudes, which is faulty. Simply because an attitude is prevalent enough to be considered the norm does not mean it is something I necessarily share. By and large I have very few terribly strong opinions on how one should raise a child. I'm a 25 year old bachelor with no plans of changing this in the foreseeable future. Not huge on my list of things I think about with great frequency. I can say that were I to have such attitudes, I do not feel I would be the type to get up in arms about parents who don't follow my own methods. Though I'm no parent, I've had enough experience with children to know that they come in a lot of different shapes and sizes with a lot of different needs. While some kids may be fine with coffee, some kids aren't. It's up to the individual parents to discern this.

So no, I'm not vilifying caffeine. I would think that in general a child's reduced size means they can't handle as much of it as a fully grown person, but all in all I don't see any harm in any of it. It's a pretty harmless substance. The kid's not gonna die from it or anything.

I will also clarify that I specifically stated that it was not a problem of caffeine in general but rather the amount of caffeine the child is consuming. My parents were fine with me having sweets, but by and large they didn't let me eat enough to make myself sick. The fact that chocolate has caffeine is irrelevant.

For that matter, you're taking apart a belief that was never rational to begin with. Parents are hardly known for being the most levelheaded demographic. They worry about stupid shit and show ridiculous inconsistencies. It's almost as if they're in a constant state of mild panic and excessive stress while dealing with the most unreasonable judgements you can find coming from all directions as well as a near constant stream of unreasonable demands and ingratitude from the source of all this. Oh wait, they are.

Parenting's a shit deal, and from what I've heard you don't always know what you're doing. If occasionally they end up taking up policies that don't make a lot of sense that's about par for the course.

So, to reiterate, coffee is not something I generally associate with children. I just don't see children drinking the stuff with any particular degree of frequency.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #334 on: 11 Sep 2011, 11:20 »

IT'S A FREAKIN' BAKERY, NOT A COFFEE SHOP!
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #335 on: 11 Sep 2011, 13:07 »

Hell, until recently, coffee was pretty much an afterthought.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #336 on: 11 Sep 2011, 13:20 »

Do freakin' bakeries serve friggin' lattes?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #337 on: 11 Sep 2011, 13:23 »

That's Coffee of Doom, J-dub was referring to tSB.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #338 on: 11 Sep 2011, 13:30 »

The question was whether other places could serve friggin' lattes. They're using CoD beans now, after all.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #339 on: 11 Sep 2011, 13:37 »

In that case, do to a non-compete clause, they can serve them any day but Wednesday.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

gangler

« Reply #340 on: 11 Sep 2011, 13:44 »

Which brings to light a larger point of interest. Dora's selling TSB her secret blends, but is she sharing all of them? Do both locations have identical menus now, or is the trade less all encompassing than that?

COD is known for their outlandish specials. Is The Secret Bakery now in a position of having to figure out what you do with a murlock mocha or a cup o' bees

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #341 on: 11 Sep 2011, 14:08 »

Probably not.  They're just selling them the beans so that tSB coffee isn't as crappy as it used to be.  And tSB must have barista's (or there's be no triple-shot lattes for Marten), but I think the specials board, and the specials themselves, belong to CoD! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #342 on: 11 Sep 2011, 14:15 »

She's providing the beans, but they don't know how she roasts them.  I'm assuming what tSB does with the beans is up to them to figure out.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #343 on: 11 Sep 2011, 14:16 »

The secret menu has remained a secret, surely.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #344 on: 11 Sep 2011, 14:37 »

They've kept it secret, they've kept it safe.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #345 on: 11 Sep 2011, 15:49 »

I just don't want to see it turned in something...unnatural.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #346 on: 11 Sep 2011, 15:52 »

Finally, you're addressing the issue as if these are my personal attitudes, which is faulty.
I responded to what you posted. I made no reference to you personally or your personal attitudes at all. I certainly, for example, never once described you or your attitudes as "faulty".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

gangler

« Reply #347 on: 11 Sep 2011, 16:13 »

My apologies. It seems I overreacted.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #348 on: 11 Sep 2011, 17:54 »

...a cup o' bees

Well that one seems self-explanatory.

You have to sign a release and have an epinephrin injection ready or they won't serve it to you.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #349 on: 11 Sep 2011, 18:48 »

I'm more concerned with the cup o' pee.  The health department would be all over that. 

Unless it's just a nickname for some really weak chamomile tea...
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2011, 21:02 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up