THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 May 2024, 19:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 69   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos can be pretty cool  (Read 589916 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: Photos can be pretty cool
« Reply #2800 on: 03 Aug 2014, 02:27 »

like, twice a year I straighten my hairs. So different!
So gorgeous! OK, so I'm biased in favour of straight hair... And it makes the pink richer.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2801 on: 03 Aug 2014, 04:29 »

Guys I wore a dress

A very pretty dress! That hem detail is awesome.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2802 on: 03 Aug 2014, 13:07 »

That dress is wonderful, and it looks great on you.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #2803 on: 03 Aug 2014, 20:27 »

Thanks everyone! I feel fancy in dresses and I like feeling fancy so I think I need to wear dresses more often.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #2804 on: 04 Aug 2014, 18:27 »

Part of me is incurious about ever seeing Europe, because I love so much where I live.

Part of me is very, very jeaolous of so many people living so close to the sea.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2805 on: 04 Aug 2014, 18:45 »

Part of me is incurious about ever seeing Europe, because I love so much where I live.
I don't understand this. It's great to love where you live, but that hardly should mean you never want to leave, even on vacation.

Also, I don't think anyone should ever be incurious.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2806 on: 04 Aug 2014, 21:02 »

I want to go see Europe... but I want to go back to Japan. A lot. XD
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2807 on: 05 Aug 2014, 01:26 »

I have never heard the word incurious before. Does it actually exist?

I always love coming back home again and would never want to live anywhere else except England (having lived in three other countries already). I do like travelling, but if I could never travel again for some weird reason, the only thing that would make me sad about that would be that I couldn't go visit friends in other countries.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2808 on: 05 Aug 2014, 01:38 »

I have never heard the word incurious before. Does it actually exist?

OED cites it from the sixteenth century (though then meaning careless or indifferent, which is closer to the Latin).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2809 on: 06 Aug 2014, 12:24 »

Came back to a very pretty newbie and lots of photos of our very pretty regulars. I am so very happy.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2810 on: 06 Aug 2014, 14:42 »

I think my main issue with selfies is it takes away the whole "hey, can you take a picture of me" way of making friends...or if not making friends, at least interacting with other people in general.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2811 on: 06 Aug 2014, 14:49 »

But it's still possible to make friends and interact with people in a million other ways. That seems like an odd reason to dislike something that other people do.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2812 on: 06 Aug 2014, 15:24 »

I think my main issue with selfies is it takes away the whole "hey, can you take a picture of me" way of making friends...or if not making friends, at least interacting with other people in general.

But what if the other person is in the selfie with you...!!

I hate selfies but only because my camera is shit and I always look extra weird because my eyes are like looking in some dumb direction or looking extra-sleazy when they look right into the camera :o

But I took a selfie just for you :)

Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2813 on: 06 Aug 2014, 15:39 »

I hate selfies but only because my camera is shit and I always look extra weird because my eyes are like looking in some dumb direction

Is the brim of your cap really so fascinating? :P
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2814 on: 06 Aug 2014, 15:50 »

It's where I keep mah words and instructions: "Okay, breathe in. Okay, now breathe out." :o
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Papersatan

« Reply #2815 on: 06 Aug 2014, 16:10 »

Sel

fies

for

ev

er

!

Also, I read this thing on selfies today that I totally agree with:
I’m definitely pro-selfie. I think that anybody who’s anti-selfie is really just a hater. Because, truthfully, why shouldn’t people take pictures of themselves? When I’m on Instagram and I see that somebody took a picture of themselves, I’m like, ‘Thank you.’ I don’t need to see a picture of the sky, the trees, plants. There’s only one you. I could Google image search ‘the sky’ and I would probably see beautiful images to knock my socks off. But I can’t Google, you know, ‘What does my friend look like today?’ For you to be able to take a picture of yourself that you feel good enough about to share with the world – I think that’s a great thing.
-Ezra Koenig

And that's the thing, people who are against them frequently point to them as a sign on vanity or how technology makes us self-centered and unsocial, but in reality most people are sending selfies to their friends, some of whom never get to see them in person.  All of us here are used to interacting with people virtually, and selfies are a way to put an ever changing human face on the real person we are interacting with.  I don't see how posting a ton of selfies is anti-social, infact, I think it's the opposite. Most of my selfies I send to friends as a part of an exchange a conversation if you will.  I use snapchat all the time to send and receive selfies from people who I want socialize with in a carefree, spontaneous way, if you're anti-selfie, you're missing out on a great way to love yourself and share that love with the people you love. 

(ps. that last one is totally the titty dress mentioned in the drunk thread)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2816 on: 06 Aug 2014, 18:24 »

I love selfies :D

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2817 on: 06 Aug 2014, 21:02 »

Argh damn it what have I done.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Papersatan

« Reply #2818 on: 06 Aug 2014, 22:03 »

Gotten to look at more pretty faces.

:-D

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2819 on: 07 Aug 2014, 01:41 »

I'm not against selfies but there are basically none of me because I feel weird taking them. Dunno why.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2820 on: 07 Aug 2014, 01:47 »

Selfie; in Japan; 1980; reflected in the glass of a painting on a shrine:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2821 on: 07 Aug 2014, 02:25 »

I'm not against selfies but there are basically none of me because I feel weird taking them. Dunno why.

Absolutely none of me.  There aren't even any pics of me online taken by others (AFAIK), since I'm rather camera-shy.  I have a rather firm belief that I belong on the other side of the lens, especially now that I'm not young, thin, or pretty.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #2822 on: 07 Aug 2014, 06:10 »

yesterday evening, I took a few hours to de-compress.  no fish were successfully harmed in this filming.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Grognard

« Reply #2823 on: 07 Aug 2014, 06:12 »

and yet... this is how I feel this AM.

oh, and this is the first face picture of mine to hit the 'Net since 2010.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #2824 on: 07 Aug 2014, 08:13 »

Re: selfies-
I love taking photographs. I'll snap any subject matter, really. Digital or film too. Sometimes, I enjoy taking photographs of myself. I don't do it as often now as I used to but I didn't make a conscious decision to take them less. In the 15+ years that I've spent exploring photography, I've taken a number of self portraits. There's nothing wrong with them! They can be an amazing way to explore self expression, experiment with the portrayal of emotions, etc, etc, etc. I don't have a problem with selfies, per se....but I have some gripes about certain aspects of them. (Food for thought- if 1 million people take a selfie, how many of them know that it was derived from "self portrait"?)

1. I don't need to see 5 albums with 40 of the same exact photo in each one. Yes, it's obviously going to be your face in every selfie because that is the nature of selfies. No, we don't need to see a new shot just because your hair shifted slightly. It's not as though it's a huge problem to me, just feels pointless. I just scroll past in those instances but there's usually a slight eye roll that follows. If someone does it enough, I make a point of unfollowing them.

2. It feels like a bastardization of real photography to me. I know this is a serious art snob thing to say and I am partly ashamed but it just drives me crazy to see people posting selfies that have been stuffed through a filter to "antique" them and then all of a sudden everyone thinks they're the next Annie Leibovitz. There's nothing wrong with finding joy in taking pictures- in fact, it's great! It's the lack of knowledge that gets to me. If you want to call yourself a photographer, take the time and effort to delve into this beautiful medium. The possibilities are endless!! Be a part of the movement to keep the arts alive, don't just borrow from them at your convenience to make yourself sound better. Clicking the shutter button on your iPhone makes you a photographer the same way that making boxed mac and cheese makes me a chef. People have taken photographs of themselves and of other people for quite some time now. Before everyone had a camera in their phone, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who claimed to be a photographer when their biggest gig was their cousin's 18th birthday.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2825 on: 07 Aug 2014, 08:29 »

I am going to make a Selfie thread, methinks. Not to annoy or upset anyone that doesn't like them, but so that people can post as many as they want, as often as they want, and if you don't like them, you don't have to look at them. I think it will also feel less "serious" than this thread.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #2826 on: 07 Aug 2014, 08:29 »

... this thread is serious?

I never knew.

Old picture, best selfie ever:
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2014, 08:36 by BeoPuppy »
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2827 on: 07 Aug 2014, 08:35 »

I put it in quotes because it was not meant to be serious, but I think most people don't want to post just random selfies/etc in here.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #2828 on: 07 Aug 2014, 08:37 »

Meh, it's a photo thread. Selfies are photos. I think you're good.
My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2829 on: 07 Aug 2014, 08:39 »

Absolutely none of me.  There aren't even any pics of me online taken by others (AFAIK), since I'm rather camera-shy.  I have a rather firm belief that I belong on the other side of the lens, especially now that I'm not young, thin, or pretty.

Aren't you like 22 dude?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #2830 on: 07 Aug 2014, 09:22 »

I don't have a problem with them, I have a problem when people try to pawn them off as something they are not. (or when they beat me over the head with the same image 40 times...) I just felt like throwing in my two cents because this topic has come up a lot in a number of places in my life recently and I've really been thinking about it a lot. I apologize if it came across as harsh.  :oops:

Putting selfies in this thread is perfect, imo (and the ones in here are adorable). Beo's right- they are photos, this is photo thread.  :-)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2831 on: 07 Aug 2014, 10:21 »

hedgie, you don't have to be young or thin to be pretty or to take photos of yourself.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2832 on: 07 Aug 2014, 10:38 »

Aren't you like 22 dude?

Try adding a decade and a bit.  The only reasons I haven't finished University yet are that I've changed majors a few times, and that with the crap going on in my head, I've had to take time off.

hedgie, you don't have to be young or thin to be pretty or to take photos of yourself.

I know that, but I still quite dislike people taking photos where there's any chance that I'll be in them.  Always have been.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2014, 10:45 by Barmymoo »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2833 on: 07 Aug 2014, 11:24 »

Hahah. I always thought you were younger then me for some reason.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #2834 on: 07 Aug 2014, 11:28 »

It's the avatar.
My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2835 on: 07 Aug 2014, 12:44 »

Fair. I can't tell you how many people assume I'm a pony with this avatar.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #2836 on: 07 Aug 2014, 12:51 »

... you're not?!?!?

... just thought that your avatar was a selfie as warhorse ...
My Art.

Grognard

« Reply #2837 on: 07 Aug 2014, 13:26 »

I'm a perfect example.
NOT
young.
thin
or pretty.

that look of "where did that fukin bus come from? & why am I being drug along?" is nigh permanent.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2838 on: 07 Aug 2014, 13:39 »

I may be on the young side (29) but I am by no means thin or pretty, and I still take plenty of pics of myself.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #2839 on: 07 Aug 2014, 13:42 »

What the fuck does "pretty" mean, anyway? And why would you not be that?
My Art.

Grognard

« Reply #2840 on: 07 Aug 2014, 13:53 »

I think you're pretty, Neko.

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #2841 on: 07 Aug 2014, 14:26 »

Despite years of searching, historians are still yet to find a single photo of Noxx without sunglasses...

Nonsense! I found this one with my fresh baby blue whip circa 1974!
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2842 on: 07 Aug 2014, 16:04 »

Not to annoy or upset anyone that doesn't like them
On the contrary, I think a selfie thread is a wonderful idea.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2843 on: 08 Aug 2014, 11:44 »

its about a month old and I've shaved my beard in favor of a mustache along with a hair cut but here is me enjoying some sweetfrog at VA Beach

was mighty windy at the beach!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #2844 on: 08 Aug 2014, 13:47 »

I played a show about a week ago. Someone had a film camera and caught me smoking a cigarette during our set. I'm very pleased with the resulting picture.

Grognard

« Reply #2845 on: 08 Aug 2014, 13:52 »

that there is solo album cover for sure!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2846 on: 09 Aug 2014, 07:24 »

This looks like a photo I would find in a stack of pictures from my parents' cross country dog-and-van tour in approximately 1983.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #2847 on: 09 Aug 2014, 12:26 »

it makes me realize just how much I dwarf that bass. I'm a tall feller. and I wasn't even the tallest one there, there was definitely a guy who was like 7'4.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2848 on: 09 Aug 2014, 20:01 »

How tall are you?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2849 on: 10 Aug 2014, 17:09 »

how freakin' cute is this? my cousin (my dad's goddaughter) made it.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 69   Go Up