THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 22 May 2024, 22:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 627627 times)

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #4100 on: 27 Feb 2014, 04:47 »

So, "goodman" was appropriate to say to a woman?

Dull is a male character. Sorry for the confusion.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #4101 on: 28 Feb 2014, 03:52 »

Is it possible for a university network to screw up a web browser? Every time I join my university network with my laptop, Internet Explorer just fucks up. I repeatedly lose session info on this site, The Verge looks like a screwed up print and basecamp insists I use an unsupported browser.

Does anyone of you have a similar problem? Or do you know how to fix this? I don't want to use Firefox.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #4102 on: 28 Feb 2014, 04:01 »

Your first problem is using internet explorer.

Download ANY of the following and never look back: Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Krom, the list goes on.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4103 on: 28 Feb 2014, 04:08 »

Ever used any of those on a Windows 8 tablet? If you have, you'd know why I am using Internet Explorer.

It's
  • The fastest browser by a landslide on this machine
  • The only one that supports touch gestures as of this moment

so why don't we stick to constructive tips instead of hating based on outdated information

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4104 on: 28 Feb 2014, 04:23 »

Then next time I suggest you say "tablet" instead of "laptop" when you describe your problem.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #4105 on: 28 Feb 2014, 04:43 »

Windows 8 tablet?

See, we keep coming up with fixable problems here.

No, but seriously, all university websites I've been by has been horrendous. Run it with dev tools open (F12 for iexplorer, I think?), and check if it fires some error messages. That might help you figure out what's happening. Not saying it will fix anything, but you might find out something interesting.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4106 on: 28 Feb 2014, 04:56 »

It doesn't make a difference, from a software standpoint, but I didn't want to cause confusion by mentioning it was a tablet, because most people don't realize how Windows 8 seems to work and there's no IE on Android or iOS.

Can we get back to my original question? I feel like someone brought politics into the gunsmithing thread.

Warning - while you were typing someone didn't care what browser you used and answered your question.

Stalin, it's not the university websites but rather every website that decides to act weirdly. I've used F12 developer tools and switched to a different browser profile, but that didn't seem to work.
Could it be a matter of the network router simply not liking IE? I could talk to some admins in that case.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #4107 on: 28 Feb 2014, 05:19 »

I am Stalin, the Red Danger. Fear me!

Also I totally read "university website" instead of "university network", not sure how that happened.

Have you tried using another browser on the same pages, just to check if it's actually an IExplorer problem, and not a university network problem? University networks has a tendency to use dynamic IPs all over the place, and might be refreshing your IP way too often. That would explain dropped sessions. It might also mask the information you send out through clever use of proxies or whatever, which might explain why the layout of pages are weird.

Check out http://browserspy.dk/browser.php while on the university network. The appVersion and userAgent are the interesting ones - they should say something like IExplorer somewhere. Don't worry about appName or appCodeName, they will always be Netscape and Mozilla.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4108 on: 28 Feb 2014, 09:14 »

Firefox works, but like I said, I really don't like using it. I mean, this is the keyboard I'm writing this post in:

(click to show/hide)

and Firefox doesn't open it by itself, even when there's no keyboard attached to the PC. I have to force it open here, I don't on IE.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4109 on: 28 Feb 2014, 14:15 »

Your first problem is using internet explorer.

Yawn - that's sooo last decade.  The main problem with the current version of IE is the sites that don't realise how standards-complaint it is and still send it all the quirks stuff that the older versions required!  I know about this because I have to deal with it frequently; the fix is to go to developer tools (again) and tell IE to emulate an older version, at which point it will correctly handle the rubbish that the sites are sending it.

In case you think I'm a fanboy, I hate IE, for its interface - I use Opera 12 (not the new Chrome knock-off) and FireFox for special purposes.

Is it possible for a university network to screw up a web browser?

Quite easily, if it's using a so-called transparent proxy.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #4110 on: 28 Feb 2014, 19:30 »

So I went to a dance performance tonight to support some of my friends who are in it. One of the pieces had someone I recognized but couldn't recall the name of, and the thought "hey, it's that one guy" popped into my head. I then spent the next minute (since the piece wasn't terribly interesting, but one of the songs was a Florence + The Machine cover of Addicted to Love) thinking about how the expression "that one guy" doesn't really make sense.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4111 on: 28 Feb 2014, 21:50 »

Oh! The one guy! Yeah! Who does the stuff! With the things!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4112 on: 28 Feb 2014, 21:53 »

It makes sense, it's just redundant.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BrusselSprouts

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • kind of awkward
« Reply #4113 on: 28 Feb 2014, 22:04 »

I was going to make a comment about how "that one guy" emphasizes that it isn't just any guy, but that ONE guy, but I actually thought about it and realized that in most circumstances, the "one" is actually redundant.

That one guy who won American Idol with a name that repeats itself must have had terrible parents.
That guy who won American Idol with a name that repeats itself must have had terrible parents.

Whenever you're just about done your shift there is always that one guy who comes in at the last second and screws everything up.
Whenever you're just about done your shift there is always that guy who comes in at the last second and screws everything up.

I guess "guy" tends to be more particular than we think it is?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4114 on: 28 Feb 2014, 22:28 »

Not really? It's the "that" that identifies. "Guy" doesn't really say anything about the person.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4115 on: 28 Feb 2014, 23:31 »

So people call Oedipus the original motherfucker...but wouldn't that be Ouranos?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #4116 on: 01 Mar 2014, 00:00 »

No, he is a titan or somesuch. That makes it okay.

Quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi and all that.
(What is allowed to Jupiter, is not allowed to a bull.)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4117 on: 01 Mar 2014, 00:05 »

Who said anything about ok or not ok? He was written about centuries earlier and he fucked his mom.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4118 on: 01 Mar 2014, 03:04 »

Is it possible for a university network to screw up a web browser?

Quite easily, if it's using a so-called transparent proxy.
Any way of dealing with that?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4119 on: 01 Mar 2014, 10:03 »

Not really; if that's what they're doing, then a router is simply diverting your port 80 traffic into their server.  However, I'm not saying it's the only possibility - it's just what came to mind.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #4120 on: 01 Mar 2014, 11:02 »

I would try and see what happens if you use a VPN. I would recommend using VPN when you're in the university network anyways, but if the behaviour of your browser changes, well, that would be a sign.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4121 on: 01 Mar 2014, 12:38 »

I'd have to look into it. My university uses MyConnect VPN by Cisco but I want to install programs that mess with the system as little as possible and I don't think myconnect is one of them

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4122 on: 01 Mar 2014, 12:47 »

My uni uses the Cisco VPN as well, but it is not much liked - indeed, on Macs it's recommended to use the Apple client rather than the Cisco one.  For my department I provide a straightforward MS L2TP VPN directly into our own subnet (which is firewalled from the University core network).

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4123 on: 01 Mar 2014, 13:13 »

Can't I set up the VPN through Windows' built-in VPN tools?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4124 on: 01 Mar 2014, 15:40 »

Not to talk to a Cisco VPN server.  But the uni VPN is presumably to make incoming connections; if you want to use a VPN to tunnel out, you need to find a VPN server outside to access, have the right client (the Windows one is commonly fine), and know that the university isn't blocking that kind of VPN access (I've no idea if they would - I can see arguments either way).

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4125 on: 01 Mar 2014, 15:44 »

Can VPN access be blocked? I thought VPNs were to get around such things.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4126 on: 01 Mar 2014, 15:51 »

Any port or protocol can be blocked by a simple firewall (even the one in my home ADSL router).  Fancy firewalls can do a lot more - even breaking open encrypted links in some cases (that's done by a controlled form of man-in-the-middle attack, I believe, and so may not be transparent).  The contents of a VPN may be unbreakable - but its encrypted traffic is still carried over a straightforward TCP or UDP link, which is what can be blocked.  Some protocols (not any VPN ones that I know) can search for unblocked ports and move their usage to them - but fancy firewalls can recognise this behaviour as well.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4127 on: 02 Mar 2014, 10:29 »

Oh god I've started to tweet regularly I need to delete my twitter now

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4128 on: 02 Mar 2014, 10:36 »

NO DON'T YOU DARE

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #4129 on: 03 Mar 2014, 07:52 »

I think my dreams for the future are moving on from "supervillain" to "galactic overlord". I have a whole fleet designed. Uniforms too. I just need Hans Zimmer for the national anthem.
Super-villain in training.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4130 on: 03 Mar 2014, 21:53 »

I think it's kinda stupid my broken Irish ass has to register for the draft but able bodied women don't have to, and can't even if they want to. I mean drafts are stupid any way, you don't get good soldiers (general concept) out of conscripts* I mean what the hell am I going to do at the enemy? ....uh actually thinking about it I could probably do a lot as long as I can stay off my feet, give me an M2 on a turret, ammo and a convenient evac point I can limp to... regardless any given healthy female would be far more useful in a "Oh fuck we need fresh meat for the grinder" sense. I mean my RE (Re-enlistment) code is basically an alpha numeric expression of mocking laughter at the thought of me EVER serving in the active armed forces again. So why waste a draft doctor's time?

*There's some exemptions to this rule. See 'Murrica in WW2, in any conscript force there will be wheat that rises out from the chaff of course.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4131 on: 04 Mar 2014, 11:58 »

The best kind of debugging is when you click a thing and a debug text appears that says "YOU DID THE THING" instant gratification right there.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4132 on: 04 Mar 2014, 12:06 »

You do some weird debugging.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4133 on: 04 Mar 2014, 12:27 »

Sometimes when I'm not sure how Swing is implemented, I create a sandbox of sorts just to test if actions event listeners fire the way I expect them to. In such a case, seeing the "YOU DID THE THING" prompt is a sign I've done everything right.

It's not my fault Swing is not nice.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4134 on: 04 Mar 2014, 12:28 »

It don't mean a thing if you don't implement that Swing.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4135 on: 04 Mar 2014, 12:28 »

wat

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4136 on: 04 Mar 2014, 12:31 »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4137 on: 04 Mar 2014, 12:55 »

Method wins the thread

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #4138 on: 04 Mar 2014, 17:15 »

Swing

Run for the hills, man. Forget that javax.swing is a part of the Java api, and spare yourself the pain and misery.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4139 on: 04 Mar 2014, 17:26 »

I know Java Swing is horrible and am planning on letting it die in the firepit where it belongs, but as long as I am studying it's required reading.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4140 on: 04 Mar 2014, 22:22 »

Serious question, what is wrong with swing? (I never did much with it, we were simply introduced to it as a better alternative to java.awt).

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4141 on: 05 Mar 2014, 00:39 »

Sometimes when I'm not sure how Swing is implemented, I create a sandbox of sorts just to test if actions event listeners fire the way I expect them to. In such a case, seeing the "YOU DID THE THING" prompt is a sign I've done everything right.
I love it when an experimental learning-style comes together. And it's the only answer to crappy ambiguous documentation anyway.

Dancing to the Ellington clip...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #4142 on: 05 Mar 2014, 02:21 »

Serious question, what is wrong with swing? (I never did much with it, we were simply introduced to it as a better alternative to java.awt).

It's hard to use, and clunky. You get these huge, nested calls to set up simple GUIs. Writing unit tests for the stuff is difficult to say the least. A big thing is also that it's not maintained (as of last time I checked), so bugs won't be fixed.

I think that it's mostly that most developers has written for the web, and making GUI stuff with html/javascript is just a lot easier, so going over to Swing is a pain. There's, sadly, no really good alternatives in Java.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #4143 on: 05 Mar 2014, 10:08 »

I don't know what to give up for Lent. Although I have not been Catholic for 4 years, I still like to give something up as a personal challenge. Last year I did soda, but afterwards I still barely drink any.

Buzzfeed thinks I should give up TV. But I don't watch much television, and Lent corresponds with the return of the only two shows I actually do watch regularly, Game of Thrones and The Newsroom, and I'd also have to give up "Internet" to avoid spoilers.

I can't give up social media because I'd get fired (I just signed on to run the social media pages for the student union in addition to my regular shifts there). Although I could just stop using my personal accounts, that would mess with stuff because I'm sound designing a show and social media is how the production team communicates between meetings.

Video games would be a good candidate, but I just spent $50 to reactivate my Live Gold account and I don't want to not use it for over a month after just paying for it.

Maybe I'll give up unhealthy snacks in general (which I think would be better than doing something specific like chocolate, because then I could just substitute) 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4144 on: 05 Mar 2014, 10:36 »

Give up the forums?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #4145 on: 05 Mar 2014, 11:04 »

Noooooooooooooo!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #4146 on: 05 Mar 2014, 11:09 »

giving up cigarettes, cigars and the pipe.

;)
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4147 on: 05 Mar 2014, 13:19 »

You didn't mention anything about joints :mrgreen:

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #4148 on: 05 Mar 2014, 13:38 »

Giving up silly traditions? That's a possibility.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4149 on: 05 Mar 2014, 13:45 »

I don't think it's a silly tradition, even if you're not Christian (obviously if you are, it's even less silly - although I don't think it's obligatory for Christians and often haven't bothered if there was nothing meaningful for me to give up). 40 days is about the right length of time to successfully give up a bad habit or something you want to cut down on, and during Lent people are more understanding and supportive of people giving stuff up and don't usually respond with "seriously, why would you give up [thing that most people see as essential to life, like chocolate, alcohol or Facebook]?". Having other people around who are also depriving themselves can be motivating and knowing there's an end point makes it easier (even though often after that length of time you don't always miss what you thought you couldn't cope without).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 98   Go Up