Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And we will end the week with?

Tai-Dora HOOKUP!
- 1 (2.6%)
Dora leaves Tai hanging.... AGAIN.
- 2 (5.3%)
Tai remains catatonic from Dora's attention.
- 2 (5.3%)
Faye steps in on this one.
- 0 (0%)
PINTSIZE becomes the voice of reason!
- 1 (2.6%)
Jeph will leave it as a cliffhanger - because he be trollin'.
- 9 (23.7%)
C'mon, like he actually READS anything on here?
- 0 (0%)
Maybe sometimes we are a tad too eager to pair people up.
- 2 (5.3%)
And a tad too eager to dump on Marten.
- 2 (5.3%)
I prefer Yellow Mellow ???
- 0 (0%)
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN SPACE HAM!
- 1 (2.6%)
...except WAFFLES! Mmm, Waffles.
- 2 (5.3%)
Where's the basketball hoop?
- 0 (0%)
SCENE CHANGE FRIDAY!!!
- 0 (0%)
Guest Strip. (@%#$#@ ROSEWOOD!)
- 16 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: 2216-2220 (25-29 June 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 53590 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

You don't know Raoul.  Trust me, it's a two-sided discussion conversation argument. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference

(Incidentally, has anyone considered how insanely weird it is to have friends who write slash fiction featuring you?)

Doesn't everyone do that?

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Given another instance when deodorant was shared I wonder if Dora would jump to the conclusion that Marten and Faye are now an item?

If she smelled Marten's deodorant on Tai?

No, if she (Dora) smelled Marten's deodorant on Faye, since she's just admitted she's been using his. Then again, Marten's also borrowed Tai's deodorant before - Faye (I think it was her - no time for an archive hunt right now) commented that he smelled like daffodils, and he explained that he borrowed hers.

So... considering Marten's penchant for borrowing chicks' deodorants, I think that's probably considered par for the course, and as such would likely not have raised the insecurity alarms.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Faye borrows Marten's deodorant -- but Marten has borrowed Tai's -- and Dora's --

All I think would happen is Dora telling Tai: "You smell familiar."

Or, since they all probably smell like each other, nothing at all.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

(Incidentally, has anyone considered how insanely weird it is to have friends who write slash fiction featuring you?)

Doesn't everyone do that?

"Y'know......for a buncha perverts, your friends are really nice."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Isn't it safer for your health to have fewer and monogamous deodorant relationships?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I believe there's official discouragement of portmanteau names now.
And praise the Powers for that. Those things'll rot your brain.

I wonder if they'd make a good couple. Tai might remind Dora of her parents, which could be either good or bad.
If Dora's not ready to date Secret Bakery-owner-guy, she's certainly not ready to start seeing Miss Instability there. And yes, I'm sure Tai's driver's license has 'Tactless" on it somewhere, possibly as a warning or a disability.

Now, Mr. Brain, may I please have some sleep?
Mr. Brain: Screw that. We slept all evening from the narcotic pain-killers you took because you didn't want to feel me aching. Let's go comment on Candi now. I hear that douche Alex actually apologized to Candi, but I'll bet it's a dirty, dirty lie.
Sigh Yes, Mr. Brain. You know, somebody could use some rotting.
Mr. Brain: How's that?
Nothing, Mr. Brain, Candi it is.

Long time no see, welcome back!
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I think Marten's merry approval sank this faster than Dora's rejection ever could.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

ASmellyOgre

• Plantmonster

I can still see this coming through.  Tai clearly really likes Dora -- and if that's not obvious from the speechlessness, it's because she's the only person we've ever seen Tai nervous around.  In everything else she's just so casual and calm, but she loses her head around Dora.  And if Dora can get over her insecurities or just try to face them, this could end up being very good for both of them.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Being told by the ex of her crush that she should go for it has apparently frozen Tai's brain. I do remember Dora saying she wasn't into butch girls at one point, though she found Tai cute. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If it happens, that would be an unusually straightforward relationship development for QC.

Dora could be good for Tai, but vice versa?

EDIT: do you remember any context for Dora not liking butch girls? Something that one of the archive masters could use to locate it? It would contradict "I love adorable little butch girls!".

EDIT: Found it, it's strip 222.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2012, 21:41 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

This........

Is going to turn into an interesting evening
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

"Huh? Buh! Duh!" You know I have to say this... She is tongue-tai'd.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Sheesh. That was one of the better terrible puns I've seen around here.  :lol:

The expression on Faye's face... the next few comics will be interesting.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

If it happens, that would be an unusually straightforward relationship development for QC.

EDIT: do you remember any context for Dora not liking butch girls? Something that one of the archive masters could use to locate it? It would contradict "I love adorable little butch girls!".

EDIT: Found it, it's strip 222.
I thought I remembered that. Straight forward if it happens, but certainly not out of the blue. Tai's been interested in Dora for awhile. I think the first mention of it was in the library well before the breakup when Tai accused Marten of cockblocking her with Dora. I can't find the strip. My archive fu is weak and it is past time for me to go to bed.

I tend to think Tai's carefree lifestyle would not mesh well with Dora's control issues. But then she has expressed a desire to try something else. I guess I'm on the fence on this one.
This........

Is going to turn into an interesting evening

Oh yes.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

What I really don't know is how to describe Marten's reaction. Is he really being mature and cool or is he just being super-passive again?

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

My first thought was that Marten was being rude talking about Dora in the third person (and about very personal things) whilst Dora was there.

Looking at it again, their reactions are not the ones I would expect.  It's almost as if Tai has picked up some of Marten's traits, Dora has picked up some of Tai's traits and Marten has picked up some of Dora's traits.  After all, Marten is the one that normally has the brain freezes (e.g. when his father asked his permission to marry), Dora was the one translating when Faye and Angus were trying to get together (e.g. when Angus asked Faye out to a restaurant after kissing her in CoD) and Tai is the one that is usually confident.

Actually, come to think of it, Dora has always been confident about sex, just not relationships.
Francisco

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I had no idea Tai could be so cute.  :-D
Carpe Diem

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Good point HiFranc, it did seem to me everyone was acting kind of out of character. But then they are Jeph's characters.. and people often act differently on a friday night, I guess.

I really don't know if Marten's reaction is healthy or not. It doesn't seem natural to be so easy-going about it, although he has been behaving like that before (the first example that comes to mind is when Faye and Sven hooked up and he was completely fine with it, even though he and Faye almost got together at one point, same with Angus and Faye btw). I really dunno what to think. As long as he is really cool with it and doesn't just hide what he really feels, all good. But his drunken behavior, the often-quoted one where he berated Faye for getting together with Angus, hints otherwise. Actually, but don't take me too seriously, I'm starting to wonder if he really is a coherent character or if Jeph is just drawing what the reaction should be, i.e. the most ideal response.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Did Dora just drop the wine on the carpet in her excitement to hold Tai's arms?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Did Dora just drop the wine on the carpet in her excitement to hold Tai's arms?

It wasn't uncorked yet.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

If Marten get´s any more goody good accepting I´m gonna puke rainbows and bluebirds.

nah, if he is cool with it so be it.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I like both Tai and Dora... but I just can't see them together but maybe it's just me and a feeling I got out of nowhere. Who knows?

Also... damn Tai is painfully obvious.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Well, someone like Tai would certainly put a test on Dora's control issues.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Akima doesn't always win the thread.
Only most of the time. :P

I actually think this could work, if Jeph feels like he's trolled us enough.
So basically this is probably never going to work.

mike837go

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others

Why does Tai always get the best lines?
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

My first thought was that Marten was being rude talking about Dora in the third person (and about very personal things) whilst Dora was there. ...

My thought was, Damn, Dora, don't you knock?

Re: Marten's reaction and "approval" of Dora/Tai: My take is that Marten is doing what he always does -- react publicly the way he thinks others want him to react. Later on, when his self-control slips for whatever reason (e.g. soloing with a fifth of rotgut, dealing with a domineering mom while sleep-deprived and emotionally vulnerable, just to cite a couple past examples), the resentment will bubble up.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I really don't know if Marten's reaction is healthy or not. It doesn't seem natural to be so easy-going about it, [...]
Um, what ? Why not ? He is over Dora.

Why does Tai always get the best lines?
She wasnt the one who said "I attained girl-vana", so I strongly oppose this claim ! But then again, Tai wasnt in the strip yet at that point.

My thought was, Damn, Dora, don't you knock?
I think the problem was that Jeph tried to show two things in the same Frame: Marten talking about Dora, and Dora entering causing Tai to go all dumb.
Carpe Diem

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

I don't see why Marten's acceptance of the situation is so hard to believe. He and Dora had a good relationship, yeah, but they had definite problems that they weren't that great at handling. And remember that Marten confessed that the break-up made him feel relieved. With plenty of time to think about that, maybe he's come to the conclusion that it was all for the best.

My first thought was that Marten was being rude talking about Dora in the third person (and about very personal things) whilst Dora was there.

Looking at it again, their reactions are not the ones I would expect.  It's almost as if Tai has picked up some of Marten's traits, Dora has picked up some of Tai's traits and Marten has picked up some of Dora's traits.  After all, Marten is the one that normally has the brain freezes (e.g. when his father asked his permission to marry), Dora was the one translating when Faye and Angus were trying to get together (e.g. when Angus asked Faye out to a restaurant after kissing her in CoD) and Tai is the one that is usually confident.

Actually, come to think of it, Dora has always been confident about sex, just not relationships.

You don't find yourself picking up characteristics of people you spend a lot of time with? Besides, we've seen Dora act overly-cutesy with Tai before.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I tend to think Tai's carefree lifestyle would not mesh well with Dora's control issues. But then she has expressed a desire to try something else. I guess I'm on the fence on this one.

Oh my... I suddenly had a flashback to Sven/Faye.

Does that mean Tai's suddenly going to become mopey and celibate, while Dora's going to become well-adjusted and ready for a relationship? But instead of it being with Marten (who will have already moved on, thankyewverramuch), it'll be with someone she doesn't even CONSIDER a partner right now?

Yes, you probably guessed it...

Dale.

What? ;)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Good point HiFranc, it did seem to me everyone was acting kind of out of character. But then they are Jeph's characters.. and people often act differently on a friday night, I guess.

I really don't know if Marten's reaction is healthy or not. It doesn't seem natural to be so easy-going about it, although he has been behaving like that before (the first example that comes to mind is when Faye and Sven hooked up and he was completely fine with it, even though he and Faye almost got together at one point, same with Angus and Faye btw). I really dunno what to think. As long as he is really cool with it and doesn't just hide what he really feels, all good. But his drunken behavior, the often-quoted one where he berated Faye for getting together with Angus, hints otherwise. Actually, but don't take me too seriously, I'm starting to wonder if he really is a coherent character or if Jeph is just drawing what the reaction should be, i.e. the most ideal response.

Agreed.  Beginning to wonder if he doesn't need to join the likes of Faye and Dora and talk about his issues.  Seems like he'd take a bullet passively unless someone screamed for him to jump out of the way.  I mean, he was with Dora for some time and went through a lot with her and it ended incredibly bad. At least some inkling of being miffed would be natural, especially when Tai all but told him how much she wanted Dora before the breakup. 

No real jealousy either about Faye and Sven.  Too much hanging with Pintsize before meeting the girls fry his brain?  I'm waiting for a week of strips where Marty goes crazy spontaneous and actually actively goes after things. 

Carl-E

• Awakened

Dale.
JW, that officially blew my mind, right there. 

Re:  Marten

Known as a good loser.  IMHO, I think that the time with Padma and the Lt. really allowed him to deal with the end of Marten/Dora better.  I think he's genuine here.

Re:  Tai

I think she's more in love with the idea of a stable mature relationship.  She doesn't really know what goes into one, though.  This will be a learning experience for her, but I don't see it working long-term, not with her first "serious infatuation". 

Re:  Dora

She's just starting to break through to her issues.  She's not ready, but if you wait until you're ready, you'll never get anything done...

Re:  Faye

Cynically skeptic?  Skeptically cynical?  Doesn't matter, she's in character here.  Once bitten, twice shy, and willing to share that knowledge. 

Did I forget anybody?  I mean, besides Pintsize?

someone

• BANNED
  • Not quite a lurker

This current scene sort of encapsulates my love hate view of the comic. I love so much of the comic and its feel, tone, and humor, EXCEPT Dora and Tai. I used to like Dora before the break up then she became an unsympathetic, angry jerk and Tai has always been a narcissistic, shallow, selfish kid. Seeing them together is revolting but maybe will get them out of the way. They grind the comic's tone into a tar pit of self indulgent crap when they take center stage. Maybe they can get married and leave. For light humor and slife of life entertainment, I think most people want to follow the lives of people they like, or sympathize with, or relate to on some level. I see Dora and Tai and I have none of those feelings. The only times I get sickened and take a break from the comic is when they factor in. If it becomes prominent, I guess I will have to wait it out for when the panels stopy showing them.

Also, this scene also shows that the comic could use some more males. I love most of the characters, but sometimes it feels like a slanted take on reality. Martin ends up being one of the girls. He needs to hang out with some guys. It would help get some balance.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

"incredibly bad"?

Maybe if they´d burned down their respective houses or something. But just breaking up over not being that compatible isn't "incredibly bad" in my book ;)

Marten is gonna be fine. People tend to talk about him like he´s some kind of walking disaster.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Someone, you are being pretty stereotypical here - why should Marten not have female friends and be "one of the girls"? He does often hang out with guys, but his closest friends are female and logically he would spend most of his time with them. That is his "reality", as far as reality goes in a fictional webcomic. Stop caring so much, just enjoy it for what it is or if it really annoys you, stop reading.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

I agree with iduguphergrave -- I think that the fact that he was relieved after the break up shows that, deep down inside, he knew it was for the best.
Francisco

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

As opposed to Dora, who is only one "yes" away from being Tai-tongued.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Thank you for saying that out loud.  It was bothering me all morning. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

If Marten get´s any more goody good accepting I´m gonna puke rainbows and bluebirds

Mind if I sell tickets?    :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Penheart

• Plantmonster
  • Cause the voices tell me to

Wow there are a lot of issues flying around about this weeks strips. Personally I didn't think there was much wrong with any of it, though I did find it weird that Dora didn't react when she first came in. Though I particularly like Tai that much just because she doesn't seem to have much of a sense of responsibility though I still kind of like her.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Am I the only one who wouldn't like to see your ex-girlfriend being seduced in front of your eyes, no matter how "over" her I may be?

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

Am I the only one who wouldn't like to see your ex-girlfriend being seduced in front of your eyes, no matter how "over" her I may be?

Yeah, that would seem kinda weird.

ASmellyOgre

• Plantmonster

You're probably not the only one, but given their relationship and the fact that he's already gone through the whole rebound and is still good friends with her, it's not weird to see.

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference

My viewpoint is thus: If I broke up with someone, I personally wouldn't hook up with someone else in front of them, no matter how much they said it was fine.

I'd also prefer not to see an ex hooking up with someone in front of me. It's nothing to do with gender stereotypes about "ownership" or anything, more just that: I wouldn't do it because it might hurt their feelings, so I'd appreciate it if they didn't do it because it might hurt my feelings. Even if you're no longer in a relationship with someone - even if it ended pretty badly, your ex partner is still a human being and a little bit of compassion can go a long way.

Anyway Friday's comic is set up to be a  cliff hanger and a half in traditional Questionable Content style.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So - Is Jeph just trolling us or what?

Yes.    2 (3%)
Yes, definitely.    3 (4.5%)
Of course.    6 (9.1%)
Damn right he is.    17 (25.8%)
Well, maybe not. Maybe it's Cristi who wrote that news post?    2 (3%)
No, it was ALL Jeph.    2 (3%)
C'mon, like he actually READS anything on here?    8 (12.1%)
Maybe sometimes we are a tad too eager to pair people up.    9 (13.6%)
I prefer Yellow Mellow ? ? ?    1 (1.5%)
Oh great, a new meme.    1 (1.5%)
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN SPACE HAM!    2 (3%)
...except WAFFLES! Mmm, Waffles.    4 (6.1%)
Faye's REALLY gotta work on her aim.    9 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

...And you need to look closely at this new poll. :D
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Anyway Friday's comic is set up to be a  cliff hanger and a half in traditional Questionable Content style.

Expect a guest strip, according to his Feed o'Tweets. Jeph is feelin' poorly. Then again, he's rallied before.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Rosewood blisters on the fingers does a number when you're trying to draw, though.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up