THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 10 May 2024, 09:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bear with me folks, I've only done this once before: What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK??

"About last night...I was drunk, but I totally meant it."
- 1 (0.7%)
"I'm super into you. The whole shebang. Massive crush. Barfin' butterflies."
- 11 (8.1%)
"If it doesn't work out, hey, it happens. I wanna give it a try."
- 1 (0.7%)
"So, uh-* *SMOOOOOCH* :-D
- 16 (11.8%)
Tai and Dora practice the call of the domesticated Marten
- 4 (2.9%)
"Is this normally what happens when people kiss?"
- 1 (0.7%)
"I hope not...I've been doing wrong this whole time"
- 3 (2.2%)
POWER HUG! (and a bruised sternum)
- 10 (7.4%)
"You promise you're okay with this?" "I promise. I'm happy for you guys"
- 0 (0%)
"Good...Right now I would happily sacrifice our friendship for more Dora-kisses"
- 5 (3.7%)
Marten appreciates brutal honesty
- 1 (0.7%)
"You're ok with this?" (again)
- 0 (0%)
SEE? HE'S SERIOUSLY OK WITH IT PEOPLE!!!! GOD!
- 6 (4.4%)
"I don't believe in altruism. You must have an angle." "I like seeing my friends happy."
- 1 (0.7%)
"It would make ME happy if you have me a hundred bucks." "Who says we're friends?" (burn)
- 4 (2.9%)
"WE'RE friends" (double burn)
- 14 (10.3%)
"Do you have a belly button?"
- 5 (3.7%)
"Of COURSE I-" *checks* "Yes, I do."
- 13 (9.6%)
BOOP!
- 4 (2.9%)
ANIMATED BOOP! (Emily will rule this comic)
- 36 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2246-2250 (August 6-10 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 94250 times)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Tai isn't perfect, but she has more sense of social propriety than that, based on her past history in the comic.

In a world where executives of the university library do it on the copy machine... I'd say Tai is pretty normal.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

Well, if this is any indication, maybe Dora should have kissed a girl along time ago. 'Cause she liked it. Wonder if Tai had on Cherry Chapstick.  :-D

noooooooooo, should have quoted Jill Sobule instead!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4r41vPTF8k

I kissed a girl
For the first time
I kissed a girl
(And I may do it again)

Well I kissed a girl her lips were sweet
She was just like kissin' me but better
I kissed a girl
Kissed a girl won't change the world
But I'm so glad I kissed a girl
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Tai's super-weird moments have also always occurred in private settings, and she seems to differentiate pretty well between personal time and professional time, or at least as well as Dora ever has, lest we forget Spookybutt's long shenanigans-laden history of her own.

And no, getting high and watching Adventure Time does not count as weird. At most colleges, that is an essential part of any arts and/or humanities degree.

EDIT: COMIC! Look at that power hug. Tai triumphant is cute as hell. If dangerous.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2012, 02:35 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

TAI YOU SO CUTE

Also, I love that Tai is so titchy that even a full-speed power hug leaves Marten still standing. :-D

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Brutal honesty indeed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Marten is still standing after that tackle? I conclude that either Tai weighs even less than she seems to, or he's got secret superpowers.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

As endearing as this latest comic is, a good enough Power hug should either knock you down or break a rib if you refuse to roll with it.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

The "power" in "Powerhug" seems to relate more to the level of enthusiasm of the person carrying it out than to its actual physical intensity (e.g. speed or momentum).

"Powerhug" will be Deathmole's new hit single and it will be about two friends brutalizing each other to death using honesty in the most metal way.
(The fact that I just wrote about brutal death metal in pink is hilarious to me.)

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier

Well to be honest i find Power Hug's to be a divisional of Enthusiasm over Speed and physical bulk.

However one must be careful of certain Enthusiasm caps, one can be small and skinny as Tai, but if they hit their maximum level of enthusiasm.. there's gonna be pain.

In other terms real life power hugs seldom work out well.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

When giving a power hug, it is important that the giver wraps his or her arms around the chest of the givee, never the neck.

Safety first, kids!  :police:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter

I am imagining that she ran the entire distance, from Coffee of Doom to the library, in that pose in panel 1. 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

LordVaughn

• Now in grape flavor!

Marten didn't fall because he was leaning on the counter. This should have at least resulted in bending backward, depending on exactly where the counter was in correlation to his back.. 

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier

It's funny how we've taken a simple gesture between friends into actual scientific territory.

I'm breaking out the whiteboards if this keeps up, there must be a proper calculation for this.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

We'll see how this goes because I still just dont see it from Dora's end anything other than
"what the hell, male relationships have failed and this cute butch girl wants me baaaad".

Waiting for Pintsize's thoughts or rather....sexual innuendos. 

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier

We'll see how this goes because I still just dont see it from Dora's end anything other than
"what the hell, male relationships have failed and this cute butch girl wants me baaaad".

I've got my money on him bringing out the fleshlight and making a scathing remark about Marten being single and Tai getting his "Sloppy seconds"

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Sooo ... Tai is happy.

In a world where executives of the university library do it on the copy machine... I'd say Tai is pretty normal.

I'm fairly sure in reallife, executives on the copy machine happen too.

They usually manage not to get caught, though.
Carpe Diem

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

After "In a world" I read that sentence in the dramatic sci-fi movie trailer guy voice. Just thought I'd share.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

After "In a world" I read that sentence in the dramatic sci-fi movie trailer guy voice. Just thought I'd share.

That works. That totally works!

Tai with such enthusiasm is so cute, it's nauseating, but in a good way (barfing up butterflies immediately comes to mind). I hope Dora doesn't try to second-guess herself, Tai, Marten or anything, and just goes with the flow.

That being said, with the amount of talk and trolling going around... I hope Jeph doesn't pull an evil twist on us. :cry:
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Ok, Jeph is officially on a roll with this whole heartwarming thing. This has been a REALLY good week. ;D
I can't decide which of Tai's four poses in this comic I like the best. I'll just go with ALL OF THEM.
(also, it might not come up often, but I can very easily believe the full body heights we've been given in the power hug, despite awkward/difficult-to-draw poses. Props for your drawing, Jeph.)

TheEvilDog

So did I...... GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

michael28

I've got my money on him bringing out the fleshlight and making a scathing remark about Marten being single and Tai getting his "Sloppy seconds"
Only if Milholland does a guest strip.
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Tai's 'brutal honesty' in the last panel sits very poorly with me. I've always been very meh about her, but this is certainly not winning her any points with me. I mean, nothing says that you value your friends more than blurting out how you'd throw them away for so little. [/sarcasm]

Then again, having been tossed aside by friends for boyfriends (and new friends), I'm probably a little hyper-sensitive to these things. But it still seems pretty damn crass for her to say something like that, imo.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I don't think she really would, if it came to that. That is to say, she'd still date Dora, even if it meant no longer being friends with Marten, but I don't think she'd be happy about it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier

Tai's 'brutal honesty' in the last panel sits very poorly with me. I've always been very meh about her, but this is certainly not winning her any points with me. I mean, nothing says that you value your friends more than blurting out how you'd throw them away for so little. [/sarcasm]

Then again, having been tossed aside by friends for boyfriends (and new friends), I'm probably a little hyper-sensitive to these things. But it still seems pretty damn crass for her to say something like that, imo.

I totally see where you are coming from, however i don't think Tai was meaningfully saying this, I myself have blurted out on occasion about jokingly ditching friends for something, though i make it obviously jokey like say "Yeah, i mean if i were offered a one person trip around the world you'd be told to hop it",

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Ok, Jeph is officially on a roll with this whole heartwarming thing. This has been a REALLY good week. ;D
[ ... ]

And immediately the atonal cinematic "DUNN DUNNNNNNNN" played in my head.

So did I...... GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

No I can't UNTHINK it! Aaaaaah!

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

Regarding Dora and Tai, I am cautiously pessimistic. I hope it works out, but I suspect it won't.

Hope they let each other down gently.

I also do still worry about Marten. He says he's fine now...but give it a few weeks.  :-\

Also...eagerly awaiting reactions from others, like Marigold, Sven, Steve, etc.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

I wanna know whats up with Marigold and Science-Boy, godammit

Mothykins

• Spotted Stegasaurothingy

OH GOD NO I just realized. The whole week has been cute and sweet and fluffy. Which means Friday's page will inevitably be a wham episode that ends in tears.

(Also, Marten's face in the second panel. DAT FACE.)
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Meh.  Good enough.

How did that quote go?  "As I grow older, I find the mistakes I regret the most, are those I didn't make."

(Probably not, but I've mislaid my source and forgotten the author, so it'll do.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

From Dora's point of view, someone she thought was cute has become attracted to her for real reasons related to what Dora has accomplished.

This is not a random pairing of two characters just because they are orientation-compatible: it's been foreshadowed for a long time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!

I think it has to be said that Tai playing rugby is completely out of character.

At the very least, her tackling technique is awful; go for the legs girl!

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Regarding Dora and Tai, I am cautiously pessimistic. I hope it works out, but I suspect it won't.

Hope they let each other down gently.

I also do still worry about Marten. He says he's fine now...but give it a few weeks.  :-\

Also...eagerly awaiting reactions from others, like Marigold, Sven, Steve, etc.

Bah, Marten is waaaay too passive still.  Had to told by the awestome Lt. to give Padma a call pretty much.  I spect he'll be "bro-fisting" with the best of them when Tai and Dora get their booty call.

That makes perfect sense.  Pintsize will not pass up a chance at burning 3 people in one go. :evil:  That's just how he is.

As far the person who brought up Tai's ditching Marten thing.  Yea, I understand that.  I've been blown off for "new friends" specially the female variety and it is bothersome as hell.  Tai seems to genuinely like Marten, but in the moment, she seemed dead serious.  Now, I'm not the biggest Tai supporter, never really liked her character, but give her some room for right now.  She's wanted to do naughty things to Dora ever since Tai entered the comic.  Then again, that may be my issue with her in general.  Her blatant salivating over Dora while dating Marten.  Not like it really bothered Marten tho.  He was WAY passive then.  He's only marginally better now.  He may be reaching the mendoza line with passivity.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2012, 12:23 by Madmartigan »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Aye, I know it was part of the joke but I still didn't really appreciate it... So yeah, not cool for me even if it wasn't too serious.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Oh come on, many people constantly say that kind of thing to their friends. Being polite to your enemies and savage to your friends is a widespread phenomenon.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Hell, it's Faye's entire personality. God help her kids. *shudder*
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I tried to say the sentence in the Voice but I can't do the echo.  :-P

~ ~

I liked this comic but I share the "Eengh" for the last panel. Although I still chuckled and quickly remembered my friends and I would make those kind of jokes to each other, down to the saying it straight and snarky reply. Assuming Tai is joking.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

The voice conveys the message.  A slightly sarcastic, slightly apologetic with a whole lot of "please be okay with this" tone is what I hear from Tai here. Jeph does a great job with expressions, but there's no way to convey tone of voice.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I think it has to be said that Tai playing rugby is completely out of character.

At the very least, her tackling technique is awful; go for the legs girl!

I can attest to the fact that you are most definitely wrong, unless you enjoy getting kicked in the face.

Which I didn't.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

There are a couple of words in Tai's speech that I think people are ignoring:

Quote from: Tai Hubbert
Good because right now I would happily sacrifice our friendship for more Dora-kisses
We know she's impulsive, she's fresh from the flush of a newly-kindled relationship and she's with a bro... so she says something impulsive. I think her relationship with Marten can handle a little faux pas.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I had two reactions to the last panel of this comic. The first was to laugh my head off. The second was to decide that at least one person in WCDT would get their nose out of joint.

It's a rhetorical device, people...  :roll:

Next on QC

Marten states that he'd "kill for a cold drink."
Half of the forums discuss the ethics of killing to satisfy thirst.
The other half lambast Tai for what they've driven Marten to do.

I, for one, can't wait.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Hell, it's Faye's entire personality. God help her kids. *shudder*

Faye with kids is the scariest possible thing that could happen other than Pintsize replicating minimes of himself.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Some people say Marten is too passive. I say some people here are way too sensitive. Do you people really get your feelings hurt that easily? Hell, I suffer from chronic depression and even I don't get butt hurt by these things.

I don't get the whole "friends can't date exes" thing. Why the hell not? Especially in situations where the break up was mutual and both parties are still friends. Marten and Dora dated, then they broke up. They weren't married, she wasn't "the love of his life," and they both agreed that ending it was the right thing to do. Marten was relieved when it was over. He has had time to process it and let it go.  He's already dated someone else.  Are you people really so selfish that you can't comprehend someone legitimately being happy for his friends cos they found each something with other? Some people are actually glad when their friends find happiness. It isn't as though they are finding it at his expense, he has no romantic interest in either of them so he is not losing anything by them being together.

Maybe it's cos I originally come from an area where the pool of available partners was pretty small. If we were not allowed to date the exes of people we knew, no one would ever have been able to date more than one person.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Some people say Marten is too passive. I say some people here are way too sensitive. Do you people really get your feelings hurt that easily? Hell, I suffer from chronic depression and even I don't get butt hurt by these things.

I don't get the whole "friends can't date exes" thing. Why the hell not? Especially in situations where the break up was mutual and both parties are still friends. Marten and Dora dated, then they broke up. They weren't married, she wasn't "the love of his life," and they both agreed that ending it was the right thing to do. Marten was relieved when it was over. He has had time to process it and let it go.  He's already dated someone else.  Are you people really so selfish that you can't comprehend someone legitimately being happy for his friends cos they found each something with other? Some people are actually glad when their friends find happiness. It isn't as though they are finding it at his expense, he has no romantic interest in either of them so he is not losing anything by them being together.

Maybe it's cos I originally come from an area where the pool of available partners was pretty small. If we were not allowed to date the exes of people we knew, no one would ever have been able to date more than one person.

Err, only the crazies are bothered by Marten not reacting to Tai and Dora dating in a jealous way.  Me, yea, I wish it had worked out. It didn't.  We sane people know Marten is way over Dora now, from his Padma fling to "trying" and failing massively to get on the Lt.  If anything, he was too passive while dating Dora when Tai was but trying to mount Dora and making it none too obvious.  Post Dora, don't think he gives a shit anymore.  Things ended too badly for him to really care romantically for her anymore.

But there really is no debate that Marten is an incredibly passive beast.  It's his one major flaw, particularly in his relationships.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Undeniably true.

The problem there, though, is that it has become like the old saying that "No one ever got fired for buying IBM." Except in this case, no-one ever got fired for blaming something on Marten's passivity.

So the argument frequently goes (explicitly or implicitly) something like this:

"So-and-so is really screwing Marten around."
"Not really. Marten is fine with it."
"That's only because he's so passive."

Undeniable, right? We all know he's passive.

Well, because he is passive, it can be hard to distinguish between Marten suppressing his feeling on the one hand, and him genuinely not being offended on the other. And we can only use our own feelings on the matter to determine the situation one way or another. Hence the disagreement on the forums.

So while I acknowledge that the people blaming Marten's passivity may sometimes have a point, it's important to remember that just pointing out that Marten is passive doesn't prove anything one way or another. It just leaves the door open to varying interpretations.

To get back to the current situation, I don't think Marten is being passive - he's being quite straightforward in his approval of Tai and Dora's new relationship. I will continue to take him at his word until I see some evidence to the contrary.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

If anything, he was too passive while dating Dora when Tai was but trying to mount Dora and making it none too obvious. 

Was this being passive or just secure enough in the relationship to not be bothered by it? He didn't feel threatened by Tai's crush on Dora. Is a lack of insecurity now considered passivity?

But there really is no debate that Marten is an incredibly passive beast.  It's his one major flaw, particularly in his relationships.

He is easy going. How is this a character flaw?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Mothykins

• Spotted Stegasaurothingy

Quote from: sitnspin
He is easy going. How is this a character flaw?

There's a line between being easygoing and being a doormat. Marten tends to waver back and forth over this line. Letting people push him around and walk all over him is, in fact, a character flaw. But you're right in that he isn't always passive to that extreme.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

QC Forums Axiom #1: In any given debate over the comic, if the opposing position becomes unassailable, the instigator need only bring up Marten's passivity in the negative.

QC Forums Axiom #2: We are never done debating Marten's level of passivity.

QC Forums Axiom #3: Marten will never be assertive enough to please the forum.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Awkward Zone entered

We need a costume change!!

Dora in a riding costume, Tai in a corset and knickers!!

I was thinking more of Amane and Hikari actually
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Awkward Zone entered

We need a costume change!!

Dora in a riding costume, Tai in a corset and knickers!!

I was thinking more of Amane and Hikari actually

No, Awkward Zone only works for Victorian Era garb!!

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

Suffering from depression is not a barometer of one's sensitivity.  There's no such thing as too sensitive - people simply have different levels of sensitivity, and what's more, they shouldn't be chastised for it.  You're not the one to judge them.

Re: Tai and Dora - I don't really have anytihng to say that hasn't been said already.  I'm in the camp of people that don't see it as a natural fit.  I mean, Tai's still in college, and Dora is in her mid-to-late 20's.  They don't know each other all that well.  Differences in lifestyle.  Does Dora really care for her, or is it just reactionary?  All that stuff, etc. etc. etc - that's where I'm at with it.  I just don't see how it makes sense, but hey, we'll see what happens!
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up