• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Moment Of The Week?

Ssssssssss
- 6 (14.3%)
He - he didn't say anything WEIRD, did he? (Everything he says is kind of weird.)
- 0 (0%)
Wait, you're HANNELORE ELLICOTT-CHATHAM?!
- 0 (0%)
Don't make me do this! I don't want to but I will!
- 1 (2.4%)
Aren't your parents, like, billionaires? Why are you working in a coffee shop in Northampton?
- 0 (0%)
This is all a simulation designed to teach me how to interact with people in the real world.
- 2 (4.8%)
ASK ME HOW TO DRAW A KITTY!
- 8 (19%)
If that's true then whoever programmed it is a ####.
- 2 (4.8%)
Is there an infinite guitars cheat and if so can you activate it for me?
- 2 (4.8%)
WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?
- 0 (0%)
WE'RE NOT TWINS!
- 2 (4.8%)
I'm not creepy, she's creepy! I'm not creepy, he's creepy!
- 2 (4.8%)
No, sorry, you two are kinda creepy. (Pick a number between 1 and 256!)
- 3 (7.1%)
I don't even CARE about your stupid dad! My dad's not stupid! He's really smart!
- 0 (0%)
I'm not a FAN. Why don't you like him?
- 0 (0%)
I don't even KNOW him! I don't know Sir Patrick Stewart but I like  HIM.
- 1 (2.4%)
Sorry, but I've met her dad and he's pretty cool. SEE?
- 0 (0%)
I'm sorry about my brother.
- 0 (0%)
Do you REALLY spank your bottom when you...
- 9 (21.4%)
I WAS EXAGGERATING
- 4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2276-80 (17-21 September 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 56658 times)

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Just an interesting aside that I've enjoyed seeing since Hanners met Marten.

I do believe the bags under her eyes are completely gone now.

Marten and Hanners has proven to be true, real friendship.  Marten may never find romantic happiness, but if you can't have that, a Hanners is a solid substitute. 

Anyway, I'd agree with Marten.  He's had far too many foot in mouth experiences, people misunderstanding him, digging himself a grave, he's amused to see someone else dong a worse job of it than himself.  Claire is even more socially inept.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Yes, that's a good point! (I assume you meant "his eyes")
Hanners has been good for him.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Hanners had bags under her eyes for a loooong run of the comic. Though, Martin's (from the Padma fiasco) have also cleared up, as well.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Hanners and Sir Patrick Stewart ...
No, that would be star-shipping.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I'm not sure that I can allow that enterprise.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

If it were to happen and we all were to watch we'd all be voyageurs

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

You people are pretty warped...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It's a TOS-up.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

If we don't stop, there'll be big tribble

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

That's a bald statement, do you have any Data to back up your claims?

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

What is this whole Frakes about, anyway?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Do you have no Beverly ? This thread is going to Crusher.
Carpe Diem

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Thank god a new comic's up to re-rail this thread! 

I think Hanners knows better - and Claire's just an easy mark! 

Good to see Marten "riffing" off it, too! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

And, yay, he's back on guitars/music again. Maybe he'll get motivated and work on that whole band thing some more?

Also, you missed a perfect "dragging <the thread> through the Mudd" line there.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Kitty kitty kitty,

Cat's relax me, and that is a cool Kitty.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me that Hannelore still thinks her life is a sham, like the times she's asked if everyone is just paid actors who are being paid to be her friends.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer

Why yes Marten, there is an infinite guitars cheat. To activate it you first must restart the universe while holding the Shift key. This brings up the console.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I'm not sure that there's an infinite guitars cheat, but there is of course an infinite money cheat: All Hanners has to do is call her cousin Vinnie.

*hoping I'm not the only one who gets that joke*...

I call the second panel "Blackboard-O-Vision", and I think there should be more panels like it in the future.
And why WOULDN'T Hannelore be working at a coffee shop in Northampton?

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

hahahahaha!  LOVE Marten's retort!

That is all.
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

warcabbit

• Plantmonster

There's a nigh-infinite guitars cheat. Does that count? (It's called the magical land of China.)

I am now wondering what the magical land of China's guitars are like in the QC universe.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I can't help but suspect that Claire's last line is a product of, or is at least influenced by, that tumblr debacle.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TLT Thomas

• Plantmonster

If Jeph ever (God forbid) ends QC, I'd love to see the "St. Elsewhere" ending. A young Hanners staring at a snow globe with Coffee Of Doom in it. :D

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I'm not sure that there's an infinite guitars cheat, but there is of course an infinite money cheat: All Hanners has to do is call her cousin Vinnie.

*hoping I'm not the only one who gets that joke*...
I recognised that it was something, but not from where it came until I looked it up. So that's one and a half people at least?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

SimCity 3000? I really need to start playing that again.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

warcabbit

• Plantmonster

Aaand now I'm visualizing guitarmaking in the world of QC. Picture it. An orbital habitat full of zero-g grown trees, where luthiers, human and robotic, live in a filthy hippie metal community, orbitally dropping the fruits of their labor to good little girls and boys.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Aaand now I'm visualizing guitarmaking in the world of QC. Picture it. An orbital habitat full of zero-g grown trees, where luthiers, human and robotic, live in a filthy hippie metal community, orbitally dropping the fruits of their labor to good little girls and boys.

... however, it being Marten's world as well, the guitars all burn up on entry.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Actually I got that wrong, calling cousin Vinnie only gets you $100,000. But given that that's enough money to buy several power plants and build lots of roads, housing zones etc., it'd probably be a lot more in the QCverse.

(I just thought: If I had infinite money, I would build a life-size replica of the Serenity, which worked as well as technology of the day could allow. Why hasn't Hannerdad thought of that yet?)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Pretty sure it's actually §100,000 which is a value of incalculable worth since that's the generic currency symbol. Besides which, it's not like you can't call Vinnie a bunch of times…

On the topic of sim city and other sim games, has anyone else ever wanted a vertical series of Sim games, from The Sims up through Sim Tower, Sim City, and the other more esoteric sims they had around when SC2k was current, that were all integrated so that your sim home was in the same sim city as the sim tower where your sim worked his sim job and all of that was on one of the sim islands you manage on the sim world you created?
Then add a bit of sideways integration with things like GTA and those public transport simulators that seem to be all the rage in Japan….
Just me then?

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Oh my.  What a mind fuck.

What if the QC verse really is just a simulation Elliot Chatham devised for Hanners?  That's certainly a way to teach someone.  Hit them with heavy drama from all sides.

Solid cheat to ask for Marten.  But, bringing back the (Dora cloning strip from long ago).

How about, infinite guitars and a set of  cloned naked Padmas?

Hanners had bags under her eyes for a loooong run of the comic. Though, Martin's (from the Padma fiasco) have also cleared up, as well.

I did mean Hanners, though now that you mention it, Marten's are gone as well. 

True pals.  If the whole band thing doesn't work, they should just go Black Keys style and be a two person band with drums and a guitar.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Pretty sure it's actually §100,000 which is a value of incalculable worth since that's the generic currency symbol. Besides which, it's not like you can't call Vinnie a bunch of times…

On the topic of sim city and other sim games, has anyone else ever wanted a vertical series of Sim games, from The Sims up through Sim Tower, Sim City, and the other more esoteric sims they had around when SC2k was current, that were all integrated so that your sim home was in the same sim city as the sim tower where your sim worked his sim job and all of that was on one of the sim islands you manage on the sim world you created?
Then add a bit of sideways integration with things like GTA and those public transport simulators that seem to be all the rage in Japan….
Just me then?
What I would really like would be a Streets of SimCity remake that's compatible with SimCity 4.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Quote from: Jeph Jacques (Newspost)
We are all figments of Hannelore's imagination.

Well. That explains it, then.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Quote from: Jeph Jacques (Newspost)
We are all figments of Hannelore's imagination.

Well. That explains it, then.
In reality, we are all batteries in John Ellicott-Chatham's planetwide supercomputer. Now take the blue pill to see the world as it is (or is it the red pill? Can't remember)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

What does that say about Hannelore's mind then, if her imagination created Pintsize? :-o

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

Hanners needs to share those cheat codes. I need to fix some messes myself!

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

She didn't invent Pintsize, Pintsize is part of the programming inserted as both an element of chaos to help learn to deal with unforeseeable events and to teach her how to deal with the inevitable pervs. If you can handle perviness from Pintsize, then anything you encounter in the real world will be a cake walk.

And the reduction of the bags under her eys is really apparent in Friday's strip. Hanners seems to be doing a lot better. I think the CoD job has been really good for her.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

No one pointed it out yet, but today's strip gave us final confirmation that Claire and Clinton are siblings. Not that there were much doubt, but still.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Cheat codes are kinda like wishes?

http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/120920.html

... careful with that infinity, Marten ....
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I dont think Hanners believes this setting is out of her imagination, so she hasnt imagined Pintsize, either.

On this Trip, we probably only managed Seven of Nine great Star Trek quotes. Dax Life.

What if the QC verse really is just a simulation Elliot Chatham devised for Hanners?
I'm fairly sure the QCverse is an imagination from the guy who imagined Hanners.
Carpe Diem

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

On this Trip, we probably only managed Seven of Nine great Star Trek quotes. Dax Life.
How much longer can we Klingon to this?

Carl-E

• Awakened

I think it's a failing Enterprise. 

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

ODO know, I think we can keep it going.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

... I wonder if the impulse will fade if one of the mods comes Romulan by and tells us to stop Vulcan around.

Carl-E

• Awakened

That one was ... questionable?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I am content.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I don't have the Data to understand all of those puns. You all are dorky to the Bones.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

WARNING! Your PunPal(tm) accounts are overdrawn!

RED ALERT! RED ALERT!
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Claire and Clinton are...

...twins, though they don't like to admit it.    10 (15.2%)
...not twins, just grew up with repetitive parents.    3 (4.5%)
...are genetically engineered siblings.    8 (12.1%)
...annoyed that anyone sees them together.    4 (6.1%)
...annoyed at each other.    2 (3%)
...annoyed, period.    2 (3%)
...a typical brother-sister. They hate each other.    16 (24.2%)
...COUSINS! (Mom's from Kentucky, though...)    2 (3%)
...going to be a laugh riot from here on out.    2 (3%)
...going to end up having a banana smoothie fight!    0 (0%)
...both going to pick "42" as the number.    9 (13.6%)
...wondering why Marten says they're creepy.    1 (1.5%)
...NOT going to be posting this on their twitter feed. (Notice the singular tense.)    0 (0%)
...annoyed over that white line on the left of the comic, too.    4 (6.1%)
(Seriously, Jeph, don't sweat it, we all have our off days; the comic more than makes up for it.)    3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66
Just another Joe like 46

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Hannersfans will enjoy her primer on how to draw a kitty: http://questionablecontent.net/random/kittydraw.png
It kinda gets away from her.

pendrake

• Curry sauce

For comic #2280...

1. Comic title was so full of win for its pun & punchline on Plato's Cave.

2. So it is now confirmed that Clinton & Claire are brother & sister.  I also had the impression that Clinton was the elder to Claire's younger, rather than their being twins, but probably not by much years' difference.

3. Art-wise, it was pretty neat to do a front-shot from the chalkboard's POV for panel #2.

4. I would probably enjoy work a lot more if I, or my family, were wealthy enough to not to "need" to work :roll: .

5. Manga-wise, there is a manga out there with the premise that the protagonist (a high-school girl) is a prisoner (or experiment-subject) in a simulated city for dark purposes/study.  I do not know the name of it, though :? .

6. And though I am late for it...

"I have been...and always shall be...your friend..."

(could not find a kitty version)

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker

long time reader, first time poster...
Marten's quip at the end reminded me of the song "Infinity Guitars" by Sleigh Bells
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Hannersfans will enjoy her primer on how to draw a kitty: http://questionablecontent.net/random/kittydraw.png
It kinda gets away from her.

I love this, because you can see the Hannelore-ishness of the tutorial even when she's just represented as text (like "Don't listen to your brain if it tells you [the eye circles] have to be perfect. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT.") ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up