THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 May 2024, 04:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Return of the OMGTurkeys! What are YOU thankful for?

The strip.
- 66 (13.1%)
Jeph's health.
- 110 (21.9%)
MY health.
- 60 (11.9%)
YOUR health.
- 31 (6.2%)
Family and friends (though not necessarily in that order).
- 86 (17.1%)
This forum.
- 20 (4%)
Turkey and all the trimmings.
- 13 (2.6%)
The interwebs.
- 47 (9.3%)
Something else.
- 24 (4.8%)
Spathe Ham!
- 13 (2.6%)
...must... read... ALL the posts...
- 33 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2323-2327 (19-23 November 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 203664 times)

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook

Have to ask first.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

I think I'd also have to meet her first.

I also want to shake Marten's hand and then play a board game with all of them.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Despite his comment. Doesn't change the fact that he does seem like a good brother. :)

1. This is nothing compared to what the Dorapocalypse was two years ago. This stuff is downright civil compared to that.
This forum survived the tidal wave of hate aimed towards Dora during the break-up and the pool ripple of Dora going out with Jim and the dropper of water of Tai asking out Dora. It'll survive this.

Meh... It wasn't that bad. I'll just say that since I've got here (July 2009) this forum has ALWAYS been civil to me. I guess I'm just more used/experienced with REAL internet warzones.
Not a single bleep on the radar since I got here. Maybe just a mild chilly wind but nothing else. :P

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Ouch.

Its Wednesday morning and the thread already hit 13 pages ?!?

There is no way I'm going to read through this whole thread.

Warning - while you were reading 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. 
Oh gimme a break.

Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The Dora/Marten breakup thread reached 36 pages before it was locked; this is merely busy.  It is, however, a more sensitive (and sometimes fraught) discussion, because it is about real things, not just the comic characters.  (On reflection, there are probably already more words in this thread than in the breakup one.)

Someone earlier remarked about forum meltdown: won't happen.  QC is a big webcomic, and its server has resources to cope.  The forum shares that server, and I suspect uses only a small part of its resources. (Just don't let us get slash-dotted!)
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2012, 00:54 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Oh, Clinton.  Every time you do or show something that might result in some amount of sympathy...

JackSpades64

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Well, in the spirit of over-analyzing, I'd like to consider how each character would react to the news if they end up hearing about it.  :) 

<quoting reduced by moderator>

Comments?  (Did I forget anybody?)

Dear God, Pintsize...
In all seriousness, Marten will probably have to let pintsize know and persuade him not to say ANYTHING. If he does not do so, and he finds out, then we can pretty much guess that he will blurt out something completely horrible. He could quite easily find out too. Lets say, for example, Faye finds out because Claire tells her. Faye is drunk enough to see those hallucinations, and blurts it out when Pintsize is around...

Just my opinion though.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2012, 04:53 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I doubt Jeph would bother to go there; there are so many more useful ways for him to explore this character's relationships.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

For the record, panel 3 kind of annoys me.

You really cant snatch a cup of coffee like that without spilling the liquid all over the place.
Carpe Diem

cam94509

• Not quite a lurker

For the record, panel 3 kind of annoys me.

You really cant snatch a cup of coffee like that without spilling the liquid all over the place.

To be fair, there does appear to be liquid spilling out of the cup in panel 3.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

Well, in the spirit of over-analyzing, I'd like to consider how each character would react to the news if they end up hearing about it.  :) 

Hannelore would also be okay with it and have a surprising amount of knowledge about it, considering her compulsion for researching things.

<quoting reduced by moderator>

i expect hannelore would be very understanding and sympathetic about the psychological issues, but being a little squicked by the whole 'transition' thing. which would then cause her to have a guilt-induced panic attack & send her into an insomniatic online research binge on the topic.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2012, 04:54 by pwhodges »

0kamisama

• Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥

It's really not that bad. The first f-word hasn't even been thrown yet.

Flapjacks.

That is all.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Good one little brother! I doesn't matter how you get on with your sibling, you don't let outsiders put shit on them. I wonder if Clinton has had previous occasion to let people talk to the hand.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

Now I want to know what Clinton's deal is with Martennnn :psyduck:

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

VonKleist

Yeees, but I like to think he´d come to see how he had it coming for being obsessive and creepy.
So why no likey Marten?

StevenC

• Furry furrier

I think it's just a joke on the ol' "brother protecting sister" schtick.

BTW, the thread now has 14 pages and counting, who won you guys' bet from Monday?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I doubt Clinton did realise how creepy he was being - to be honest, with anyone other than Hanners the creepy level would not have been quite as high. I'd be a bit disgruntled at being hustled out of a room by a guy wielding a sword for something I didn't see as being a huge problem.

Also, maybe Clinton is just super-defensive around people he sees as popular. I get the vibe that he's not had an easy time of it (bullied probably, considered weird certainly - he has a robot hand and red hair) and it's not out of character for people to be overly aggressive as a defense mechanism long after it has become unnecessary.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

(Just don't let us get slash-dotted!)

I'm pretty sure the Slashdot effect is massively diluted nowadays, given how Slashdot has slid into mediocrity and many have left.

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication

I hadn't actually given any thought to Clinton becoming an important character back when he was introduced, but I'm certainly glad he is:  finding out more about Claire helps me understand Clinton better, too.  They're an interesting pair.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

VonKleist

Also, maybe Clinton is just super-defensive around people he sees as popular. I get the vibe that he's not had an easy time of it (bullied probably, considered weird certainly - he has a robot hand and red hair) and it's not out of character for people to be overly aggressive as a defense mechanism long after it has become unnecessary.

It makes sense. Maybe he´s also jealous of Marten because he is close with Hanners and all.

LordVaughn

• Now in grape flavor!

Just goes to show, no matter how much most siblings fight, they do care about one another.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Here's some potential for Clinton to learn something, and may be become closer to the rest of the gang.

If only he realizes that Marten (and Faye), during their first encounters, were protective of Hanners much the same way that he is protective of Claire.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Has anyone let Evildog know he can leave the bunker yet?  We hadn't had an opportunity to hook up the plumbing yet, and I think the "facilities" might be getting a bit ripe at this point.

And while Clinton went up a few notches for his rising to the defence of his sister, he still needs a few lessons in social skills to be let into society on a regular basis - and needs to forget about being hydrodynamic...

Marten's posture in the last frame is adorable - there is no other way to describe it - he's almost mad.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Kitsuner

There's one thing that's been on my mind with this storyline...

If Claire had fallen off the dock a few strips ago, would that have made her a trans-ponder?

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

All I can say about the currenrt plotline is...

...BRING BACK SVEN!  I was just looking at the strips of Dora moving into her current apartment, and realised I'd like to see him again.

Well, actually after deciding to say that I got to thinking how he might react.  It would be ironic if Mr Ladies Man turned out to be more comfortable with Claire revealing herself than Dora is initially.   (If Dora has any sort of a problematic reaction to Claire I can't see it lasting long.)
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2012, 06:25 by SomeCanadianWeirdo »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'm with May on this one - Claire refers to herself as "her", and therefore that pronoun is correct - for her.

And ohmyGOD would a Sven meets Claire storyline be FUN-NYYYYYYY!

"I don't get it, I gave her 'The Look' and - Nothing!"
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

Has anyone let Evildog know he can leave the bunker yet?  We hadn't had an opportunity to hook up the plumbing yet, and I think the "facilities" might be getting a bit ripe at this point.

Hey, the water was the second thing I had connected after construction.
Also...I haven't finished the tinned peaches. Go away.

Ph2

Claire's dissaproving look is quite amazing, and nice to see Clinton being the "good brother" Claire said he was. It did feel as if he was a bit empty as a character.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

TheEvilDog

Just to make it abundantly clear.

It is never.

Under any circumstances.

Ever.

Appropriate to refer.

To a human being as

It.

Yes. Thank you.
Now I'm going back to the reinforced bunker.

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication

I am eagerly awaiting the Thanksgiving strip (TURKEY TIME!) for two reasons:

1. It is always hilarious.
2. It may prove distracting to the direction of this thread, which at first I found very enlightening and now... well... let's just say that bunker party's sounding pretty awesome right now, tinned peaches or no.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
~ Terry Pratchett

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU

On a topic related to the comic and less to the current posting, why does Clinton seem to hate Marten so much?
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

TheEvilDog

On a topic related to the comic and less to the current posting, why does Clinton seem to hate Marten so much?

My guess? Probably because Marten threatened him with a sword when Clinton was perving over Hanners.

indigo

• Not quite a lurker

...And this is why I am filled with dread at the progression of the current story arc.

Because Jeph will certainly treat the subject matter with care and respect, but no matter what he does, no matter how he proceeds, he cannot win.  If everyone in the cast is fully accepting of Claire as she is, for who she is, Jeph will be derided for displaying an inaccurate representation of the realities trans people face.  If, say, Emily, behaves as Emily does, as is characteristic for her, with an innocent lack of tact and sensitivity, Jeph will be condemned for somehow endorsing such tactlessness and insensitivity.  If Claire displays any sort of personal preference that does not completely align with the "acceptable" trans experience (as has already happened, by her saying that it was okay for Marten to answer honestly if someone asked) then Jeph will receive even more abuse, as if each and every trans person must be exactly the same.

And every flame, every complaint, every bit of condemnation, will begin with or include the word "cis".

This makes me incredibly, incredibly sad.  For Jeph, and for everyone else.

And that is all I have to say.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Yes. Thank you.

Can I get in there with you. I promise I'll leave my Dick-broom outside.

I think I broke it anyway. No matter, it was useless to begin with.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Chelicerate

• Furry furrier

...And this is why I am filled with dread at the progression of the current story arc.

Because Jeph will certainly treat the subject matter with care and respect, but no matter what he does, no matter how he proceeds, he cannot win.  If everyone in the cast is fully accepting of Claire as she is, for who she is, Jeph will be derided for displaying an inaccurate representation of the realities trans people face.  If, say, Emily, behaves as Emily does, as is characteristic for her, with an innocent lack of tact and sensitivity, Jeph will be condemned for somehow endorsing such tactlessness and insensitivity.  If Claire displays any sort of personal preference that does not completely align with the "acceptable" trans experience (as has already happened, by her saying that it was okay for Marten to answer honestly if someone asked) then Jeph will receive even more abuse, as if each and every trans person must be exactly the same.

And every flame, every complaint, every bit of condemnation, will begin with or include the word "cis".

This makes me incredibly, incredibly sad.  For Jeph, and for everyone else.

And that is all I have to say.

He's gotten overwhelming amounts of support from the trans* community i've seen. Including myself. My comments earlier in the thread were directed at specific users, not jeph. He's handling this well. read his twitter, he's positively glowing with the response he's gotten.

TheEvilDog

Yes. Thank you.

You were already on the preapproved list.
You can't have any tinned peaches though.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I know this citizenship thing is definitely not the same thing we are currently discussing but yeah... I've been living in Sweden for 7,5 years now. Got my citizenship 2 years ago, got a swedish pass, speak the language and feel integrated... If someone comes and tell me that I will never be swedish. I will get seriously mad.
Du är nu och för alltid svensk, min broder! BORK BORK BORK

Or in QC-slang:

BROS BROS BROS!!!  :lol:

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication

I think it was touched on a couple pages ago maybe?  Anyway Marten kicked Clinton out of his apartment the first time he met Hanners, daughter of his beloved idol Hannerdad.  I think someone brought up jealousy of his and Hanner's closeness, too.  Throw that on top of his natural protectiveness and you get "oh i guess you're not ALL bad then"
~ Terry Pratchett

legion

Am i only one that wants too see Clair suffer? I mean, i enjoy reading/watching tragedy

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Am i only one that wants too see Clair suffer? I mean, i enjoy reading/watching tragedy
I don't want to see anyone in the comic suffer, but it would be interesting to see how Jeph would handle a character being offensive to Claire. (I suspect that Jeph is actually setting things up for this (possibly in Friday or Monday's strip, even), with the interaction between Clinton and Marten in today's strip.)

I don't think Jeph would go for outright abusive, the tone of QC is too light for that except in very exceptional circumstances (think The Talk, that's the darkest that QC's really gotten, and that's the most exceptional circumstance in the comic as far as going dark).

percivaltercy

• Not quite a lurker

Language is strange, alright.
You're so right, sir. Ma'am. You. Whatever. :-)

By the way... Gotta love Claire's facial expression in the last panel. It says much, and still leaves much to interpretation as to how much she approves of her brother's reaction. I would not be surprised that she is kind of proud of him, even though he is still showing some contempt for Marten...

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference

The fact that Clinton apparently harbours some hatred and/or resentment toward Marten (possibly for Hanners-related reasons, as previously stated in this thread) is very amusing to me, though I'm not entirely sure why.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

For some reason, I'm reminded of something that Jeph said...

Quote from: jeph
For future reference, if you're trying to divine some overarching moral standpoint from my comic: the moral of my comic is that people should try to be nice to each other.

Also, ink slinger, somewhere there's an option to disable those warnings if they're getting too annoying.

percivaltercy

• Not quite a lurker

The fact that Clinton apparently harbours some hatred and/or resentment toward Marten (possibly for Hanners-related reasons, as previously stated in this thread) is very amusing to me, though I'm not entirely sure why.

He might be a bit sore about this...http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1909

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math

Yes. Thank you.

You were already on the preapproved list.
You can't have any tinned peaches though.

LOL, can I come too!?! I have whiskey!

Thirdly, it's growing use in conjunction with trans in regards to gender is fulfilling a purpose in un-othering trans*people. Think of it in this context, which are less potentially insulting in the following: Are you gay or normal vs are you gay or hetero; are you trans or normal vs are you trans or cis. There needs to be some terminology other than normal vs 'deviant' or 'other' and all the inherent problems therein, and cis is actually appropriate for this purpose.

I'd just like to point out that "normal" is a quite valid word to use, based solely on statistics. There's something similar with regard to autism spectrum disorders—it's PC to refer to non-autistic people as "neurotypical." Looking clinically at a population sample, "normal" and "typical" should mean the same thing. The fact that people behave as if they don't is an effect of context and mental associations.

The problem, then, is that people logically associate "normal" with its antonym "abnormal" (so far so good), and then associate "abnormal" with "bad" (major issues here). Language is strange.

nerds! hahaha, that I love. <3

Hypster

• Plantmonster

I can't think of anyone in the comic who doesn't like Marten. I think it'd be neat to have someone who would rather not be around him.

Rockman

• Emoticontraindication

I can't think of anyone in the comic who doesn't like Marten. I think it'd be neat to have someone who would rather not be around him.

I always thought Penelope didn't much care for Marten.  But then you could probably read that from her interactions with several other characters who aren't Wil, so maybe she's just a little ornery in general.  :-D
~ Terry Pratchett

TheEvilDog

I always thought Penelope didn't much care for Marten.  But then you could probably read that from her interactions with several other characters who aren't Wil, so maybe she's just a little ornery in general.  :-D

To be honest, I don't think Penelope and Marten have really had that much contact. They have friends (or in Penelope's case, work colleagues) in common, but if Marten went to the coffee shop, then more than likely Faye, Dora or Hanners would serve him, because they're his friends. Penelope might have gone to the apartment, but that would be more like work friends or friends of friends and not really talking to the people you aren't really familiar with.

IDMG

• Curry sauce

Clinton, you're good people.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up