THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 21:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568238 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

The good news is you can sit on it for a week or so until that feeling passes...

Little cheese, I know it's "the best so far", and a lease running out in October is a tight timeframe, but look at a few more if you get the chance.  And get the inspection done on this one just in case - a cracked foundation or rotting sills are definite walkaways, that's too much even for a high end DIYer. 

I like the idea of turning the second LR into a DR - I wonder if it was that way originally, '59 is early enough that dining rooms were still a standard part of any layout. 

Good luck! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

I really like having a flatmate because it means that I only have to pay half as much rent and utilities, but it sucks because I can't seem to find flatmates who will clean the kitchen. I really can't wait for Jess to finish school so that she and I can get a place together (or she can move into my place because I love my flat and don't want to move again). Then again, her mom might push for her to stay at home even after she is out of school.

Her mom jokingly said the other day that they haven't seen me around very much and if it was because I didn't like them and I was super close to being like "yeah actually, that is why I don't come over" but I didn't want to cause the unnecessary strife just yet.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Yeah, just gotta wait for the right moment to drop that one...

:roll:

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

One time at band camp when my aunt was visiting and my brother used to be more of a prick, she commented on how he never seemed to be around when she visited and he straight said, "That's because I don't like you." Fortunately she thought he was joking.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Wow, I have never lived in a house that was built more recently than 1856. I would never call a 1956 house old!

I have found a baby pigeon. It's currently hiding behind my bin with a dish of water and another of peas. I hope it survives the night :( I also hope that the local wildlife centre calls me back and is prepared to come fetch it because I can't get there and also I'm scared of hurting it/scared of it hurting me.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened

Train it to carry messages. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The pigeon has gone! I think it has flown off, rather than been eaten by any cats or foxes (there were no feathers or blood marks anywhere). I couldn't tell if it had drunk any of the water or eaten any of the peas I left out for it, but I'm glad it has moved. I was really worried about it - in fact I rang a wildlife centre and left an answerphone message so I will probably get a call from them. I'll ask them what I should do in future if it happens again, but it seems that it's not an issue with this pigeon any more.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened

It might come back. 

Depends on how it feels about peas, I suppose. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I don't want it to come back! I want it to go and do pigeon things, elsewhere.

Carl-E

• Awakened

OK, bloggy stuff - this started as a spoiler in the tattoo thread, because it was about antibiotics, but I'm going to post it here; 

[Another bitch about the medical community and antibiotics]

So I'm sitting in the hospital with my daughter.  Since she caths to pee, she's susceptible to UTI's, and last week noticed she had one (no feeling in the shorts region means it gets pretty bad before she notices).  Did the urinalysis and this infections only susceptible to a couple of things - nitrofurantoin (which we tried first but it made her so nauseous that she couldn't keep it down) and vancomycin, which has to be done through an IV, and in her case, through a picc line*. 

So Monday we were in an office getting ready to get a picc line put in so the vanc could be done at home without an extensive hospital stay.  She's on the table, when our doctor calls and cancels the procedure.  The infection might be showing some susceptibility to plain old amoxycillin, and wouldn't we want to avoid using the nasty antibiotic and invasive procedure? 

Well, no, not if it doesn't fucking work.  The stuff wouldn't kill off the bacteria fast enough, and her back started hurting, which means the infection started getting up into her kidneys - dangerous territory.  Not to mention the usual amoxycillin diarrhea. 

So here we are, wasted time, wasted money, when we could've avoided both because my doctor's over reactionary about the overuse of antibiotics. 

:-P

Sometimes you need the big hammer. 

* picc line - peripherally inserted central catheter.  Here's a picc pic;

Got a call from the doc today.  Her  last urinalysis came through, it's not the bug they thought it was.  Just plain E Coli, like usual.  Which Vancomycin doesn't touch. 

So the picc line's going to be pulled out, and we're back to square one with a different antibiotic...

Who do I make an appointment with for a strangulation? 

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

my cats brought me a full grown squirrel as proof of their devotion.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Carl, thank you so much for the input. We don't have to move in October, if just kind of "fit". We're open to keep looking and to short sales as well (or should I say, long sales?), since our leasing agent at the apartment is willing to do a 6 month with us, even though they typically only do yearly leases.

Also....I just need to share how much I enjoyed that pigeon conversation.  :-P I lol'ed at this:

Depends on how it feels about peas, I suppose. 

To the med stuff, all I can say is WTF.  :psyduck:
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Glad I'm entertaining  :psyduck:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Wow, I have never lived in a house that was built more recently than 1856. I would never call a 1956 house old!

"The British think 100 miles is a long way; Americans think 100 years is old."
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I was meant to be going on a canal boat for a couple of days this week, but circumstances have conspired against that working out. Instead I have a new plan: PETTING ZOO. PETTING ZOO. PETTING ZOO. PET ALL THE THINGS.

lepetitfromage

New Plan > Old Plan.

*jealous*

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

'things'?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

You know, the donkeys and the sheep and the ferrets and the handlers and the fences and the buildings and the grass. ALL THE THINGS!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

I admit to having a passing vision of BarmyMoo petting fences and pasying no attention to the animals.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Pet all the FUZZY ANIMULS

Carl-E

• Awakened

And the little piggies.  They're not fuzzy, but they're still cute enough to pet. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Piglets are actually fairly fuzzy in my experience.

Ferrets like tummy rubs.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Zingoleb

unicorns love tummy rubs, as well. also back rubs. and neck rubs. and foot rubs. fuck it, pamper me.

on that note,

i've been dating my close friend/roommate/now partner for a few weeks now and things feel v. natural - not even butterflies of infatuation, but just a lovely feeling of rightness when i'm near them and i'm strongly considering collaring them. maybe after we move out. whoof.

also, i went on a d8 last nigh with a super gorgeous kitten whom i have fallen in utter adoration with. i would like to collar her, too. sigh. sigh sigh sigh. so many 8a8es in my life. it ended today and then i went and played a game in the mall with a bunch of new friends and my moirail and their fiance (whom i am to be maid of honour as well as officiant to) and then had some thai iced tea and discovered devotchka. tomorrow, i start recording my ep, and this weekend is hempfest with my partner and date number three with the aforementioned kitten.

life is awesome*.

::::3

*except for money issues, which are eternal. damn the electric fence! damn the electric fence! capitalism!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

my cats brought me a full grown squirrel as proof of their devotion.

Did you rename them all "Momo"?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened

That's the collective's name. 

lepetitfromage

Uni, that is wonderful! It is nice to see you happy :-)

Thai iced tea......mmmmmmmm.......

Carl-E

• Awakened

Seconded.  Good to hear you've landed somewhere relatively stable. 

And seconding the Thai iced tea, too...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

My fiance convinced me to buy tickets to Wrestlemania that's what I'm telling myself to rationalise buying them. Shit. I'm excited but terrified because it will be so expensive and I've never been on a plane for more than a couple hours.

I actually have a bunch of money that was gifted to me that's meant for Fun Money to blow and not feel guilty so I can afford it but damn. I've just been like  :psyduck: since yesterday.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

and discovered devotchka.
As I don't assume you discovered girls for the first time: what is this a name of?
life is awesome*.

::::3

Yay!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I've spent the whole yesterday on the road. German public transport sucks.

We got onto our bus at 05:30 am. We didn't sleep before, but instead tried to sleep on the bus. Difficult, but I managed a few hours (even with the bus stopping regularly, and shifting gears very abruptly). After a while I didn't feel like trying to sleep anymore, so I watched some older episodes of Doctor Who. We were meant to arrive in Hamburg at 14:37. But the German far-right party decided to do a public speech in front of the main station, which led to a big demonstration of people who are opposed to them. Which lead to the police blocking the roads to the station. Which lead to us driving around in Hamburg for an hour. When we finally arrived we quickly boarded the next train to Kiel. When the train left Hamburg the train driver announced that because of a suicide on the tracks the train would stop in Elmshorn. From there on they were trying to organise buses for the blocked part. Anybody who has experienced the "Schienenersatzverkehr" of the Deutsche Bahn already will know that that isn't good. When we arrived in Elmshorn the Bahn announced that the buses would need at least 1.5 hours to arrive. And, knowing the procedure, I remembered that they usually send like 3 buses to replace the whole train. Because of that we got on a train to Husum and from there a train to Kiel. We arrived there at 20:02.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Ouch. Hugs, bro.

Consider taking an ICE next time, maybe.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

heh, well, there's a small difference between paying 107€ for the ICE (per route, so 214€ for both ways) and 25€ for the bus ticket (+15€ for the ticket to Hamburg)(also per route).
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

German public transport sucks.
No ot doesn't. You Germans just enjoy complaining about it way too much.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal

I went to poland by train and the only delay I had was in Cologne!  :psyduck:
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

AMTRAK sucks.  Y'all have no idea how bad a transport system can be.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.

Just transferred 5 hours of raw footage that a production company wants cut down into a 15 minute "behind the scenes" featurette.

This is the first time I've worked with footage I wasn't on set capturing, and my brain is beginning to bleed profusely.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It's not exactly fair to compare the public transport systems of Germany and the USA. We're talking a completely different scale here! There are parts of Europe where public transport is a cart being pulled by a donkey down a dirt track*. There are places in the USA where the transport is pretty good - I caught an efficient train between somewhere random in Indiana and Chicago, for instance.

*I am totally making this up but I'm fairly certain it's true.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

The oiblic transport system in Germany is one of the most thorough ones in the world.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal

The Dutch trains are actually the most efficient in Europe.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I have never travelled by AMTRAK, but I'd be horrified if it were worse than Countrylink, our "inter-city" rail system. Australia's rail network is all about transporting coal, iron ore etc. in gigantic quantities at low speed*, and everything else has to fit round it. Brisbane to Sydney often takes seventeen hours by rail, when you can drive it in under twelve. Sydney to Melbourne takes about twelve hours by train, when it is around nine hours by car. It is expensive too; a rail ticket is similar in price to an air ticket (about $200 return), and if you are flexible on flying times it is usually cheaper to fly. By contrast, the 1300km trip from Shanghai to Beijing by high-speed train (roughly 50% further than Sydney-Melbourne) takes less than six hours and costs under $100. I love Australia, but sometimes its unwillingness to invest in basic infrastructure drives me up the wall.

*For freight rail nerds:
This is how we feed the gaping maw of China's steel industry. This was shot in the Hunter Valley, just to the north of Sydney.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

*For freight rail nerds:
This is how we feed the gaping maw of China's steel industry. This was shot in the Hunter Valley, just to the north of Sydney.

Amazing!  I'm surprised three locos were enough for that - and I shudder to think of the forces on the couplings at the front of the train.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Akima, the infrastructure is there it's just not focused on people :P honestly I doubt the money's there, or the benefit for that matter, to invest in high speed rail systems to cross most of Australia.

That said. If I miss anything about Japan besides it's vending machines, women, open container laws and food, it's their extremely efficient, effective and all around wonderful public transportation system. It's also easy to navigate, even for a dumb gaijin who doesn't read hirigana or kanji at all. (I found it easier to navigate Tokyo's public transit lines then several systems in the United States and the latter allegedly prints all their information and signage in the language I read and speak. :P )
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I have never travelled by AMTRAK, but I'd be horrified if it were worse than Countrylink, our "inter-city" rail system. Australia's rail network is all about transporting coal, iron ore etc. in gigantic quantities at low speed*, and everything else has to fit round it. Brisbane to Sydney often takes seventeen hours by rail, when you can drive it in under twelve. Sydney to Melbourne takes about twelve hours by train, when it is around nine hours by car. It is expensive too; a rail ticket is similar in price to an air ticket (about $200 return), and if you are flexible on flying times it is usually cheaper to fly. By contrast, the 1300km trip from Shanghai to Beijing by high-speed train (roughly 50% further than Sydney-Melbourne) takes less than six hours and costs under $100. I love Australia, but sometimes its unwillingness to invest in basic infrastructure drives me up the wall.

Bad news, Akima... it IS worse.

Proof: May, when she came to visit the US, asked if there was a train from Indianapolis to my part of Wisconsin. I openly laughed at her. There hasn't been passenger rail service in north central Wisconsin since Eisenhower was president.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

... to my benefit. I had a two-day trip from Indiana to Wisconsin and back with a delightful new friend, and we met jwhouk on the first day out.

Papersatan

I just looked up Chicago to NYC, two large vibrant cities a 12 hour drive apart...  Amtrak tells me the shortest trip will be 20 hours, and will cost me $127.  This is why Americans drive. It is cheaper and faster, especially if more than one person is going (at 30 miles to the gallon, $4.00 a gallon, it's only $105 to drive).

Edit: I mis-read your numbers, so here is another:  Detroit is a 9 hour drive from NYC, via Amtrak it is only $111, but will take 21 hours, and involves a bus for part of the journey.

The only places trains are faster is going up and down the east coast, because traffic makes the trains a little faster, and the ridership makes there be some investment.  Boston to DC is a 7 hour drive and a 6.5 hour train ride (but will wet you back $171 v. a plane which is $112, and only takes 1.5 hours. 

Trains are only worth it here if you don't have a photo ID, are scared to fly, or care about the environment.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2013, 21:29 by Papersatan »
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

GarandMarine

• Awakened

A Warrior Lesson from Mass Effect 3:

Warning: The following contains spoilers for the Mass Effect franchise. Particularly Mass Effect 3. If you've been under a rock for the last few years and haven't played it. You've been warned.

Mass Effect 3 invoked many emotional responses in it's myriad players. Indeed the massive "Retake" movement in response to what was seen as a weak/anemic ending that didn't do the franchise justice wouldn't have gained the massive following and momentum it had without the powerful emotional moments binding us to various characters throughout the franchise. Of the relationships we cultivated, many of them had powerful conclusions in ME3 as the universe fell apart in strife around Commander Sherpard and his/her crew.

One of the more powerful single moments from ME3 is the death of the Drell assassin Thane Krios. A popular character with fans, this contemplative, spiritual, professional assassin made quite an impact and his death was a very well written and emotional moment for all. As life begins to fade from his body Thane's last words are the following:

“Kalahira, mistress of inscrutable depths, I ask forgiveness.
Kalahira, whose waves wear down stone and sand--
Kalahira, wash the sins from this one,
and set him on the distant shore of the infinite spirit.”

Thane is wracked by pain, prompting Kolyat to continue the next two lines of the prayer. Thane remarks that Kolyat speaks as the priests do. Kolyat explains that he brought a prayer book, and asks the Commander to join him:

“Kalahira, this one's heart is pure,
but beset by wickedness and contention.
Guide this one to where the traveler never tires,
the lover never leaves, the hungry never starve.
Guide this one, Kalahira,
and s/he will be a companion to you as s/he was to me.”

By the end of this prayer, Thane is gone. Shephard asks why Thane would choose to ask for forgiveness in his last moments when his last deeds were that of a hero's, and Kolyat informs the Commander that Thane had made his peace, the prayer was for Shepard.

Again as I said it a powerful scene with a strong emotional impact.

As warriors we can learn many lessons from these few moments at the end of Thane Krios's life. One, he was at peace. While the concept of finding one's peace with their life and deeds is a massive concept that religions and philosophers have struggled with for centuries and that most individuals will struggle with all of their lives. I encourage you all to seek this peace in your every day life. Meditate, write poetry, take the time for a cup of tea in a quiet room, and balance yourself every day.

However the quest for inner peace is well known, and I find the second lesson that Thane has to teach us is the more pertinent of the two. Thane died thinking of forgiveness and peace, not for himself but for another. As warriors we must remember that we are out our very hearts, servants. Indeed the Japanese word "Samurai" comes from the word Saburai, from the Chinese word "Saburau". Both these words mean "servant". We serve many masters in a democratic society and a volunteer military. Our families, communities, chains of command, the government and of course our nation as a whole, we also serve our personal honor.

To live with honor, and in service is not a simple calling, and a warrior is known and respected by this will to live well as well as being willing to die for others. To act with forthright virtue in all things, to live peacefully and act with kindness in your heart when not engaged in conflict alone is a great challenge to face in life, many people warrior or not struggle with this path all of their lives, and it is a vital part of seeking out inner peace.

To this life long battle with our human failings, warriors add the challenges of taking up sword, or in modern times rifle and pledging themselves to do battle in the name of others. Battle presents it's own life long challenges, as does training and mentally preparing for such, A warrior should seek to comport themselves well in battle, to fight calmly instead of with rage, with a cool intellect leading a courageous heart instead of the heart ruling the mind. Ask yourself in mediation and self contemplation, at your heart of hearts, do you have the conviction and selfless courage required to die with only concern for others on your lips?

This is one of many truths at the heart of a warrior's calling.

Please don't reprint this one without crediting it back to my DA if you want to guys. Link is here: http://kalashnikovmarine.deviantart.com/art/Warrior-Philosophy-and-Mass-Effect-3-393353691

And this is a separate bit I wrote in response to someone who noted that despite being a soldier (he's foreign so I refrained from taking insult at the slight) I'm a fairly benign individual.

A warrior who does not maintain a calm and balanced center is no warrior at all. The man who chooses to take up sword or rifle in defense of himself and others is merely a servant to a nation, to a people and to his own personal honor. One doesn't carry himself honorably if he allows his inner peace to be affected, or if he cannot be kind and gentle when he is not actively fighting. A man who is always angry all the time is a sloppy fighter, and more of a brute or thug then a professional soldier. I've always admired the ideal of the samurai in this regard. One is to be courteous, fair and just, while the art of the sword is of course vital, along with other martial arts such as horsemanship and archery, so too was more traditional artistry, from tea ceremony to poetry valued and vital to a samurai's education and upbringing. Sadly, few cultures have done similarly. Warriors of what is now called the Middle East during the early 1000s had some similarities, with art forms such as the copying of holy texts and administering one's holdings well seen just as vital to one's well being and duty to one's lord as pure martial skill.

Papersatan

So, a few days ago there was a stabbing on my block.  My friend was in town and she is a siren chaser, so I walked to see what had happened with her, not a thing I usually do.  The victim was laying face down in the middle of the street being patched up by them EMTs and we were close enough to hear his cries, and see him vomit when they flipped him onto the back board.  At the side of the street there was a man, arms covered in blood shaking and crying.  I guess he was a by stander that was helping the man after the attacker left.  It was honestly upsetting, days later I am still picturing it. 

Today I found out a woman has reported a stranger-on-the-street rape at the same intersection two weeks ago.  She says a man asked to borrow her cell phone, and then took her between two houses and raped her.  This intersection is 3 houses from me.  I walk through it when I catch a bus home from class at 10 pm.  I walk through it when I walk home drunk from the bar, I walk through it when go to the corner store at midnight.  This is not just my neighborhood, this is my block. 

I don't feel unsafe really, I think my risk of a stranger rape is low; I suppose most women do, but I don't think I 'interview' well.  I am approached by men I don't know when I am out alone at night all the time in this neighborhood, and I, I don't want to say I am comfortable with it, but I am comfortable handling it.  I don't fear them, or think I am about to be raped, but, I do know how to confidently tell them to fuck off, and keep them at a distance, and escalate my outrage when they ignore me. Shutting people down who are trying to get up near me to talk with me is a regular thing, but most of them are just oblivious to how their approach is threatening.  I have had men here walk with me to my house, try to get in the way of my car door so I could not shut it, stand between me and my front door... and that's just the ones who got near me.  The rest I manage to shut down from a distance. (the best one was a man briskly walking towards me as I entered my car Him: "Hey beautiful, I don't want to be disrespectful, bu" Me: "Then don't." get in car and drive away.)

I am upset right now.  Not because I feel like my risk just went up, it didn't but because I shouldn't have to deal with this shit.  No one should.  I love this neighborhood, and I frequently try to tell people how great it is, and why they should live here, but today, thinking about it, how can I really recommend it to other women? Is it weird to be disappointed in a neighborhood not living up to its potential? Because I think that's half of my anger right now.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Zingoleb

and discovered devotchka.
As I don't assume you discovered girls for the first time: what is this a name of?

(devotchka is a band that was playing in my favourite coffee shop; the next person to come up was ibrahim ferrer.)

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

As warriors we must remember that we are out our very hearts, servants. Indeed the Japanese word "Samurai" comes from the word Saburai, from the Chinese word "Saburau". Both these words mean "servant".
In most European languages with which I am somewhat familiar (admittedly not many), the word for the classic feudal mounted soldier essentially means "horseman": chevalier, cavallo, caballero, ritter. I have always thought it interesting that the English word "knight" derives from the Old English "cniht" which meant "servant". Saburau was not a Chinese word; it's simply an earlier version of the Japanese. However the character which, in Japanese kanji means "samurai", in Chinese is indeed a verb which does mean to serve or attend upon (a high-ranking person). I don't know enough Japanese language or history to know how a multi-syllable Japanese word came to be written as a single character. The Japanese bushi, also applied to samurai and the root of bushido, is written 武士, which is wushi in Chinese. The first character means "martial", (you'll find it in words like wuxia, wushu, wulin etc. which will be familiar to any fan of Chinese cinema), and the second something like "specialist" (or in the past "scholar"), so the word is usually translated as "warrior", an essentially functional description. A brave, chivalrous hero would go beyond the wushi to become a 武侠 or wuxia. I suppose that would roughly be the distinction between a man-at-arms and a knight errant, in English terms.

Societies have wrestled for centuries with the same problems of containing and controlling violence within, and resisting violence from without. Various "warrior codes" have existed from ancient times to the present day. Many have embraced the idea of the warrior as a servant of something greater than himself. Loyalty to the king/emperor/nation, courage in battle, compassion to the defeated, protection of the weak, avoidance of harm to non-combatants; these are some of the ideals often aspired to, if not always achieved, especially in eras of industrial mass-slaughter like the 20th century. Artistic elements were often included, based on the idea that warrior should not just be a killing brute. Spiritual elements too, partly no doubt simply as a tool to reinforce loyalty and good behaviour, but, like the artistic elements, probably also partly to help the warrior deal with the stress of battle and its aftermath. Shell-shock and PTSD are modern terms, but one should not assume that combat was less terrifying when halberd met pike, and I'm sure the conditions existed long before they were given names.

So much for the ideal; the reality is more complex. Those samurai "servants" came to dominate Japanese society for centuries, effectively supplanting the emperor they were supposed to serve. Successful generals usurped power in Japan, Rome, China, and continue to do so in many places today. Warriors may become servants to terrible causes if their loyalty binds them to unethical rulers, and warrior codes have been perverted to such ends again and again, as bushido certainly was, at terrible cost to my homeland.

The way of the warrior is not mine, but the ideal of the ethical warrior is worthy of respect, I think. If violence must come, it beats the alternative, though in practice things tend to get messy. I certainly endorse GM's comments about developing and maintaining a calm and balanced centre. It is not only on the battlefield that this is of value.  :-)
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2013, 07:01 by Akima »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 98   Go Up