THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 20:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568219 times)

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

I still have nightmares about all the bruises that got laid on me.

-ow-
     *ow*
           +ow+
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

What's the distinction between a martial art and a sport? Is it the historical connection with a military form?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

You can actually use a martial art in a "real" fight. In a fighting sport, you know that your opponent follows the same (arbitrary) rules as you do, so the fight is formed around them instead of, well, fighting.

Boxing's a good example - while they throw real punches, they also go in close and almost hug to catch a break - they are too close for the opponent to throw proper punches. That's not a skill that can be transferred to a fistfight - you'd just get kneed in your nethers.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

What's the distinction between a martial art and a sport? Is it the historical connection with a military form?

Bias and elitism.

I guess chopping walnuts is a martial art, because it develops skills I can use to defend myself.  (I'm joking.)

Lines

• Awakened

Today was my co-teacher's last day. She'd been offered another job* and because of stupid politics in upper management of the community center, instead of taking her two weeks, they are forcing her to leave now. She was heartbroken, I'm simultaneously sad and angry, and the kids are not going to know what happened because half of them were out yesterday and today because of the holiday (Sukkot - it's a Jewish community center/school). She was also instructed not to tell parents why she's leaving, which is bullshit. I'd just gotten into a place where I decided I really loved my job and this was a slap to the face. She was such a great girl and teacher and was so helpful when I first started. Also the kids ADORE her. Next week is going to suck.

Also my favorite student will be leaving by the end of the month. T-T

*Nannying for the family whose daughter is leaving our class - they've decided to pull her and her baby sister out of the school because of the place dicking them around financially. They were supposed to be getting a discount since they brought in their second child, but they never got it and it pissed them off. The one in my class is the sweetest girl and both her and her mini me sister are freaking adorable. The parents are really nice, so it's really sad to see them all go.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I've updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 7, and the idling battery life has dropped from about 24 hours to about 6 hours.

:x :x :x
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Must not really be idling, then. 

I wonder what it's doing when you're not looking...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Try turning off background app refresh. Folks posting on Macintouch said that helped. A number of battery-draining processes are on by default.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

You can actually use a martial art in a "real" fight. In a fighting sport, you know that your opponent follows the same (arbitrary) rules as you do, so the fight is formed around them instead of, well, fighting.
I don't think there is a meaningful distinction. All forms of training and competition* in hand-to-hand combat involve "arbitrary rules", because it is a bad idea to kill or maim your opponent. When I practice the taiji form "White Snake Turns And Spits Venom", for example, it is obviously unacceptable to crush my training partner's larynx with a blade-hand strike, so I "pull" the blow. We are not competing for points or coloured belts, but our shifu will praise us be grudgingly less critical if we perform well in front of him, which is not so different. In modern wushu competition, taiji is judged purely on form for points (often to music), rather like gymnastics or figure-skating, something that many traditional shifu regard rather negatively. Many practitioners of taiji only ever perform the slow solo forms for health benefits, and as a spiritual and physical discipline. So, is taiji a martial-art, or a sport, or something else entirely? I would say that it is all of the above.

*Obviously a serious fight to the death or disablement of one or more of the participants is a form of competition, but that is not normally what we are talking about, and I have absolutely no desire to inflict injury on anyone. There is perhaps a matter of intent here. If a person trains in taiji, or krav-maga or boxing or whatever with the intent to win points and prizes in competition, then regardless of the fighting-style chosen, the sporting aspect is obviously paramount. Any contest that takes place in front of an audience nowadays is mainly sporting, and even the more hairy-chested styles like muay-thai or MMA have "arbitrary rules" about how the combatants are allowed to fight because having fighters killed in the ring is normally not intended or regarded as desirable. There is no doubt that this affects the judgement of which styles of fighting are more effective. The widespread perception nowadays that grappling is more effective than striking has much to do with the fact that many of the most effective strikes are banned and/or made impossible by protective equipment in competition, and grappling is safer in training. Suffice it to say that if I ever had to defend myself against an assailant trained in boxing, I would not underestimate my opponent because boxing was a "sport".
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2013, 23:53 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

I got an "On the Spot Award for Remarkable Customer Service" at work the other day for tracking down this lady's lost car in Colorado from all the flooding (I work in claims adjusting).  She called in right after I helped her to speak with a manager about it. I got a certificate, a thank you note from our department head, and $25 deposited directly to my bank account. There are 16 claim rep positions that just opened and with that and my college degree I will probably get one. More responsibility and it pays $7000 more a year. Good news on the career front!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

All I know is I trained aikido and juijitsu today and I ended up nearly throwing up from tiredness. The whole discussion about sport or art is meaningless. Just have fun.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

I got an "On the Spot Award for Remarkable Customer Service" at work the other day for tracking down this lady's lost car in Colorado from all the flooding (I work in claims adjusting).  She called in right after I helped her to speak with a manager about it. I got a certificate, a thank you note from our department head, and $25 deposited directly to my bank account. There are 16 claim rep positions that just opened and with that and my college degree I will probably get one. More responsibility and it pays $7000 more a year. Good news on the career front!
Don't you love it when doing well gets rewarded? It's so much better than the opposite.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

All I know is I trained aikido and juijitsu today and I ended up nearly throwing up from tiredness. The whole discussion about sport or art is meaningless. Just have fun.
You put that so much better than I did.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

So, I turned off all the new things in iOS7 - moving backgrounds, background updates, some other things I've forgotten already.  I then changed my mail from push to fetch every hour.  And now I've gone a day and still have 78% battery.  Looks like the choice is to use the goodies and have no useful battery life, or turn them off as the useless fripperies they are, and restore the functionality of the previous system.

I love software development!  (Remember, it's been much of my life's work...)  But I used to think it was actually of some real use.

Of course, this doesn't improve the places where they have removed or destroyed the previous functionality.  I used to have a list of films in the video app; now what I have to select films from is this:

No, there is not an alternative with the names in text.  And the status bar at the top of the screen is now just icons over the background image; so the only way to make it legible again is to change or remove my chosen background (a picture of my last dog, as it happens).  And the number of places that text is now displayed in pale gray on off-white - even the accessibility settings don't help much (and I don't use them in any other systems - those which haven't had inaccessibility built in to them as this has).
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2013, 14:51 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

...Paul I don't understand what I'm seeing here... but I think I'm going to get really sad once you explain it to me.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I hate iOS7, is the executive summary - at least at present.  Real-world functionality usability for me, at least, has been markedly reduced.

If you're meaning the image in particular, that is what I now get as the list of films in the video app - previously it was a list of film titles, in text, with the images next to them.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I don't think there is a meaningful distinction. All forms of training and competition* in hand-to-hand combat involve "arbitrary rules", because it is a bad idea to kill or maim your opponent. When I practice the taiji form "White Snake Turns And Spits Venom", for example, it is obviously unacceptable to crush my training partner's larynx with a blade-hand strike, so I "pull" the blow. We are not competing for points or coloured belts, but our shifu will praise us be grudgingly less critical if we perform well in front of him, which is not so different. In modern wushu competition, taiji is judged purely on form for points (often to music), rather like gymnastics or figure-skating, something that many traditional shifu regard rather negatively. Many practitioners of taiji only ever perform the slow solo forms for health benefits, and as a spiritual and physical discipline. So, is taiji a martial-art, or a sport, or something else entirely? I would say that it is all of the above.

*Obviously a serious fight to the death or disablement of one or more of the participants is a form of competition, but that is not normally what we are talking about, and I have absolutely no desire to inflict injury on anyone. There is perhaps a matter of intent here. If a person trains in taiji, or krav-maga or boxing or whatever with the intent to win points and prizes in competition, then regardless of the fighting-style chosen, the sporting aspect is obviously paramount. Any contest that takes place in front of an audience nowadays is mainly sporting, and even the more hairy-chested styles like muay-thai or MMA have "arbitrary rules" about how the combatants are allowed to fight because having fighters killed in the ring is normally not intended or regarded as desirable. There is no doubt that this affects the judgement of which styles of fighting are more effective. The widespread perception nowadays that grappling is more effective than striking has much to do with the fact that many of the most effective strikes are banned and/or made impossible by protective equipment in competition, and grappling is safer in training. Suffice it to say that if I ever had to defend myself against an assailant trained in boxing, I would not underestimate my opponent because boxing was a "sport".

While you make excellent points I will continue to disagree, I know we have discussed this extensively before, but it is all intent, approach and mind set. Though some forms of "fighting sport" would not translate in the least to the real arts they mimic. I am lead to understand that a kendo practitioner would have an extremely difficult time with Iaido or Kenjutsu (and an Iaido pracitioner would have issues with Kenjutsu, though not as much as the Kendoka) as kendo has drifted so much in technique and practice from the actual martial techniques of the Japanese sword as to barely be connected. Similarly Olympic Fencing has about as little relationship with proper training with the rapier, small sword, saber, or any other European blade as to have almost no appreciable connection beyond a historical one.

You're right rules in point sparring/competition do have their place. We don't want to kill each other or severely wound each other but the attitude that point sparring competition is a focus of martial skill as opposed to an amusing diversion to promote camaraderie and test skill amongst fellow students and against other schools is unhealthy in my opinion. Many schools and systems train and focus FOR their sparring competitions directly. A martial discipline for combat or defensive use should teach and maintain that mind set most of all. For combat the mental development of the student is key, The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) uses the slogan "One Mind, Any Weapon" as it's motto and one of it's fundamental tenants. From the ground up it is designed to make the human body a weapon, like all martial arts that proceeded it, and then ensure that the Marine or Corpsman can fight effectively with any weapon at hand or in their possession. Warriors have been trained this way for thousands of years and it is no less useful now.

For the civilian martial artist, a serious mind set and strong mental focus are important if you truly intend to rely for your life in your training. If your training is just a form of exercise to you, the question of art or sport has already been answered from the very beginning.

"Since karate is a martial art, you must practice with the utmost seriousness from the very beginning."
                                                                                                                  -Funakoshi Gichin Sensei

"The heart of our karate is real fighting. There can be no proof without real fighting. Without proof there is no trust. Without trust there is no respect. This is a definition in the world of Martial Arts."
                                                                      - Masutatsu Oyama Sensei (commonly known as Mas Oyama)

"Although it is important to study and train for skill in techniques, for the man who wishes to truly accomplish the way of budo, it is important to make his whole life in training and therefore not aiming for skill and strength alone, but also for spiritual attainment."
                                                                      - Masutatsu Oyama Sensei

For the record, while I have a very deep respect for Oyama Sensei, his accomplishments and his work, it should be noted that he regularly fought bulls with his bare hands. I'm a proponent of serious study of the martial arts, but Oyama Sensei is a bit extreme even for me.

On a slightly related note, last time I got x-rays done my radiologist noted that aside from the three fractures, the bones in and around my striking surfaces and their supports are quite dense compared to a normal human being. Not near what a truly long term master (or student for that matter) would show, but I found that extremely gratifying.

For those interested in the science behind the human body and martial arts, I recommend the show Fight Science.

I will leave with some unrelated words from the Shodai Soke of Goju-Ryu karate, Miyagi Chojun Sensei.

Oh, and Akima if you ever spar a boxer, either get inside his range and use knees/take downs/ and other close strikes or take the long range route with kicks to the lower body. A boxer's powerful punches are his strength but also his limitation, he will not be used to fighting with or defending his legs. Boxers also fight in spurts, this can be used to your advantage if you can weather the storm of his initial assault.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Paul, on that screenshot of the video app, are those stills taken from some point in each of the movies, and they've got no title whatsoever? because that's what it looks like to me, and if that's the case, that's a bunch of bullshit. if they're going to use stills from the film, they need to be labeled with the title so you have ANY CLUE AT ALL what movie you're poking with your finger.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

They have been recoded from the DVDs (mostly) for the iPhone using Handbrake, and that's what iTunes picks out; like our YouTube links here, the image is taken from a little way in - but iTunes doesn't recognise some of them correctly and just makes a blurry mess (the actual video is fine, though).  I don't care that the images are poor; I do care that there is now no text list available when previously there was.  Any videos bought from the Apple store or downloaded from official sources and not recoded to save space have the cover page that is adequate (Scott Pilgrim, in that example) - so Apple will doubtless say I have no reason to complain, even though my videos are also taken from purchased DVDs (of course, that doesn't resolve the issue for videos I shot myself). 

I haven't tried it yet, but there's a possibility (if I've read the description right) that if I classify the films as music videos they will then get text titles.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

You mean you bought content from a supplier other than Apple?  :-o Well that's where you're going wrong then! You don't expect them to make software which is functional for anything other than their products, do you? :laugh:
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

you'd think that user satisfaction would be important to a heavyweight company like Apple but of course their marketing is just way too fucking good to allow that, so they can dick us around however they please. reason number a million I hate society and megacorps

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

I still don't get why somebody would buy an iPhone.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Because they want a pet iPad.

Is it me or does any martial arts discussion quickly dissolve into a 'Batman can beat up Superman anytime, nja nja nja-nja nja' conversation. It feels ... kinda pointless.
My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Not particularly, I don't think any of us has advocated a particular style over another, which is really the only way to get that Batman vs. Superman conversation.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Just watched the Pianist after two years of not watching it.

(click to show/hide)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

oh my god dude, I cried so many fucking times during that movie. holy shit.

speaking of holy shit, I won't spoil anything for anyone, spoiler tag or no, but HOLY FUCKING SHIT, BREAKING BAD. IT ISN'T EVEN OVER.

Metope

I haven't watched any of the newest season and then I went on tumblr and accidentally read a MAJOR SPOILER, I am pissed off.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

Today:
I work the office alone.
fucks given: 0
shits given: 0
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Shits taken: ?
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

New mission in life: Next time I have to fill out a form that has information the form issue already has, I am going to fill it out as if I am Usagi from Sailor Moon.

Aliases: Sailor Moon
Etc

Just to see if any one actually reads the damn things.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

I would probably murder any doctor that did that to me. For reference, I work on applications for doctors all damn day and they are always reiterations of the same shit but we still have to fill it out.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Sure but that stuff's vaguely important. I'm talking about "Mr. GM we need the following data" "I filled that form out. Like 10 times already, I have personally looked at my employee folder, you have ALL of this information. I mean come on, it's my address. You mail me my paystubs. Wtf?"

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Forum Peoples, this week is going to be a ridiculously busy one in the Land of the Small Cheese.

Working 8:30-4:30 every day (as usual) and on top of that- tonight I'm modeling for a drawing class from 6-9:30, tomorrow I'm grocery shopping which takes a freakin' eternity, Thursday we're going out with our realtor to look at more houses (the amazing one was snatched up for $40K more than asking price. we said ohwellfuckthat), Friday I'm going to Atlantic City for a friend's 30th birthday celebration, then Saturday morning we're driving home and then I'm running off to an interview for an instructor's position at a painting studio!!! (YAY! I sent my resume and portfolio around 9:30 last night and got a call at 11 this morning to schedule an interview!

I just got over being sick and I'm still not quite up to par, but I'm hoping I can muster up the energy I need to get through this week without collapsing!

I still need to create and send out our wedding thank you cards, do my laundry and clean my desk too. Oy. Mayyyybe next week.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

So I bit the bullet and bought myself the tablet I've already wanted in the first edition and even more in the second edition. I got myself a Nexus 7, and I absolutely love it. I still have to wait for the Cyanogenmod release for this edition, but I'm already enjoying it. The screen resolution is insanely awesome. I'm afraid I'll have to buy myself a micro SDHC card reader for movies, because watching movies in HD is fantastic on this one.

And I've got to buy myself a USB OTG cable to connect a keyboard with this. Typing is possible, but not much better than on a phone screen.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Oh I'm a bit envious - I was going to get a Nexus 7 but I can't really justify the price until I know I actually need it, and it sort of seems like I don't, since uni has lots of computers and all my work is online.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I'm afraid I'll have to buy myself a micro SDHC card reader for movies, because watching movies in HD is fantastic on this one.

*dumps 3742387542387€ on tablet like a boss*
*oh no, I have to buy a card reader for ten bucks*

Just pokin' fun at ya :-D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

The point is that I originally thought that 32GB would be more than sufficient. But the screen is so great for watching movies and shows that I definitely want a way to have them with me. And a Nexus 7 doesn't have a card reader.

Apart from that this device is incredible in every aspect. I'm having a Nexus S as phone, and having 3 more processor cores with a frequency which is by .5GHz higher, and 4 times as much RAM, is making for a big difference. I've never seen something so smooth and fast. The screen is beautiful, and I'd take it over any iPad Retina display. 1920x1200 on 7", which results in a pixel density of 323dpi.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

so I already told y'all that Camille and I have been mailing each other care packages with letters and such so as to have something special with our long-distance romance. this time, she's requested I record and burn her a CD of myself singing to her. I am having trouble picking which songs to do. so far I've got "Pink Moon" by Nick Drake and "From The Hips" by Cursive (see the 'own music' thread in BAND to hear the latter). I've got a couple others I've recorded in the past, but I'd rather do new ones so as to personalize the whole thing just for her.

fuck

Metope

Do "Africa" by Toto as the last song.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

what?! that's heresy, that song must remain pure, evil blasphemer!

Metope

I'm just saying. If she laughs, she's a keeper. If she cries, she's also a keeper.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Yep. Africa. Make it happen.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Just hope she doesn't reply "Man, fuck Toto. Toto SUCKS"

(inb4 somebody quoting Pintsize from the comic two before the one I linked)

GarandMarine

• Awakened

If she does then you know that it'd have never worked out. Because you'd basically be dating Hitler.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

By the way you guys

It's Oktoberfest.
Wish me luck.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

odd cod piece.
My Art.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Ok......that might just be my favorite picture of you, ever. Yay Oktoberfest! Yay lederhosen!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

What little cheese said. Too cute!
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991

I am having so much fun with Aikido, more fun than I think I've ever had in a martial art before. This is only my second...but still. Taekwondo for 4 years seems almost like an after school club compared to what I've been doing the last 6 weeks, and I'm only a white belt.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98   Go Up