THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 08:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568898 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I'm just saying. If she laughs, she's a keeper. If she cries, she's also a keeper.

Dude, she cries at anything and everything that makes her happy. She cried when she opened my last care package. She's gonna cry at every single song on the CD, guaranteed.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

I swear, for the first year I had no idea of what I was doing aikido-wise. Still baffled at regular intervals, actually.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

By the way you guys

http://i.imgur.com/ySJozpE.jpg

It's Oktoberfest.
Wish me luck.

Sind doch Spießer.

(click to show/hide)
But seriously, good luck!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I walk my dogs twice a day, once in the afternoon, and again in the wee hours of the morning.  I go through our neighborhood in the afternoon, but at night I go out to the edge of town by the railroad tracks as the freight trains run through the night.  The old Thomas the Tank Engine stories about the complaining freight cars are true - some of them scream when they have to move.  It's weird to hear. 

Three nights ago, when the moon was at a perfect half, and the night was so clear that the moonshadows were sharp enough to make me look, I saw Orion's arms outstretched, about to catch the moon.  That's always the way I see Orion, the bright upper stars as outstretched hands, not as his shoulders.  A simple jumping jack of glee.  I think I transfer my own glee at seeing him, as he's the only constellation I know at a glance. 

Tonight it was clear again, and the moon, nibbled a little past half, was sailing past his reach.  There he was, the eternal left fielder, jumping for the home run he had no chance of ever catching.  And yet, in that moment at the pinnacle of his leap, as the ball sails a few measly feet above his glove, we all rise from our seats for a moment and gasp at the possibility that none of us would believe could happen. 

And I realised that's how I felt the other night, but couldn't know it until tonight as the ball sailed past, the way we all knew it would, to be caught by some starry-eyed kid in the bleachers.  You can't appreciate the potential of the moment in the moment - when it passes, then you know what might have been but never could. 

I feel oddly comforted, but restless at the same time. 

I guess it's autumn again. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Oh my god I totally overdid it again.

5 Liters. One of them in one big gulp.

My head, it's fucking cloudy.

Lines

• Awakened

But that's what Oktoberfest is for! Or so I've gathered from people who like drinking beer. (They've had both Woodchuck and Angry Orchard at ours the past two years, but I usually drive, so only one big cider for me...)

Also that is the best picture of you ever, the lederhosen are awesome!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I miss my Lederhosen, they made my legs look almost as good as my kilt.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Carl-E

• Awakened

I haven't had lederhosen since I was four. 

Loki

• comeback tour!

But that's what Oktoberfest is for! Or so I've gathered from people who like drinking beer. (They've had both Woodchuck and Angry Orchard at ours the past two years, but I usually drive, so only one big cider for me...)

Also that is the best picture of you ever, the lederhosen are awesome!

I cannot find how much Woodchuck has, but do remember that German beer usually has at least 4.8%, which is more than in the US, or so I am told.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

But do bear in mind that Octoberfestbeer has 6%.

Carl-E

• Awakened

German beer usually has at least 4.8%, which is more than in the US, or so I am told.

BS.  American beers are 4 - 6%.  Bud is 5%, Bud Light is 4.2%.  Light beers tend to have less.  Busch is 4.6, Coors is 5, as are Michelob and Pabst.  Miller High Life is 5.5.  Most things with "Ice" in the title are 5.7 - 5.9%.   And Woodchuck's only 5%, although before it went national it was 12%. 

German beer just tastes better, that's all.   :roll:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

The Ale House, which is a restaurant in my town with a shitload of beers on tap, had Pyramid's new Oktoberfest ale. It was alright I guess, the flavor was good but like a lot of Pyramid beers it wasn't very bold. Last week when they had Big Sky's IPA it was a lot better. I had 3 of those. Last night I only had one, and then I decided to go to my usual bar and snag a Sierra Nevada Torpedo because double IPAs rule.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

My beers are at 8% on average, bu I like Belgian tripels and other beers that attempt to actively resist as you drink them.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Wiped-out exhausted this evening. I'm still adjusting to the new schedule, I'm hoping I'll get less tired. I've just provisionally accepted a regular babysitting job - 7 hours a week (basically all day Saturday) which would pay well but would mean I'd not have Saturdays to do fun things. On the other hand, without the job I couldn't afford to do fun things ever. I've told them the difficulty that my degree causes to regular commitments (might have to do shifts on a Friday night or Saturday at two weeks' notice, but only perhaps four times in a year) and how much I charge, and we'll see what they say.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

So I mentioned before that I'm doing a CD of covers for Camille's next care package. Y'all already heard my cover of Cursive, so here's some Elliott Smith.
https://app.box.com/s/47yq6raiewyof0v7uofo

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Some motivation for your Saturday!

After invading Greece and forcing the submission of many city states, Philip II, King of Macedon sent a message to the Spartans. "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people and raze your city." The Spartan rulers replied with only one word. "If". Philip of Macedon and his son Alexander the Mildly Incompetent both avoided Sparta completely.

When asked by a woman from Attica:
'Why are you Spartan women the only ones who can rule men?',
she said:'Because we are also the only ones who give birth to men.'
- Queen Gorgo (daughter of Kleomenes I, born ~506. Married Leonidas I)

When the Persians sent envoys to the Spartans demanding the traditional symbol of surrender, an offering of soil and water, the Spartans threw them into a deep well, suggesting that upon their arrival at the bottom, they could "Dig it out for yourselves."

When Leonidas was asked why he had come to fight such a huge host with so few men, Leonidas answered, "If numbers are what matters, all Greece cannot match a small part of that army; but if courage is what counts, this number is sufficient." On being again asked a similar question, he replied, "I have plenty, since they are all to be slain."

Another classic line from the movie with historical fact behind it. the Spartan Dienekes was told that the Persian archers were so numerous that when they fired their volleys, their arrows would blot out the sun. He responded with “So much the better, we'll fight in the shade” this response is now the motto of the Hellenic Army's 20th armored division.

Before the battle of Termoplylae Xerxes sent an offer to King Leonidas that he would spare his men if they gave up their arms. Leonidas replied "Molon labe" (Greek: Μολών λαβέ), which translates to "Come and take them".

The Etipath of the 300

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō ksein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha, tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
    That here, obedient to their laws, we lie."

Trigger warning: Music video features gorey cartoons and lots of awesome.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

... So, anyWAY ...

Aikido lesson one-on-one with my teach. Life's goooood.
My Art.

Lines

• Awakened

I cannot find how much Woodchuck has, but do remember that German beer usually has at least 4.8%, which is more than in the US, or so I am told.

Woodchuck is about 5% as is Angry Orchard. (But my favorite Angry Orchard, Iceman, is 10%.) Some American beers that Michael (husband) has had at beer festivals have been as high as 8%. This is not typical, mind you, but I have not seen many beers or ciders in my area that are below 4%. HOWEVER it depends on the state, because once Michael's parents moved out to Utah, we found out that beer on tap out there can't be above 3.8%. Bottles yes, tap no. Poor poor Utah...

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

HOWEVER it depends on the state, because once Michael's parents moved out to Utah, we found out that beer on tap out there can't be above 3.8%. Bottles yes, tap no. Poor poor Utah...
In Oklahoma, if you're buying Bud/Coors/whatever (basically any beer you'd find at a 7-11), it's 3.2%... The brands of beer that are only sold at liquor stores are usually higher, though.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Lines

• Awakened

That's how it is with liquor in Ohio. You can get it at a grocery store, but it's never above 40 proof. If you want the strong stuff, you have to go elsewhere. It's different for beer, I think, because I've seen higher % craft beers at the grocery.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

So it turns out my idiot temporary flatmates have heated the shit out of the flat over summer while I and the regular people who live here were away. The bill came today and it's three times what it usually is in winter, and they lived here during summer! The terrible thing is that the bill only comes every 3 months, and every month up until then you pay an average estimate over the past year, and then when the actual bill comes you either pay more money if you've spent more than the estimate, or they give you money back if you've spent less. So for the next three months I will have to pay a crazy amount of bills because these dickheads decided they wanted to live inside an oven, and even though I'll get the money back I really can't afford this right now, I need to spend a lot of money on art materials for my final year in uni.

Like, two of them moved out and kept the heaters on full blast even after they moved, the woman who had my room moved out six days before I got here, so my room was a sauna for six days with no one even being in it.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Need to correct this. Octoberfest beer has 12%.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Usually my electric bills go up in the summer, but that's because I'm running the A/C, not the heater...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Kris lives in Glasgow - I doubt AC even exists, but it almost certainly won't be necessary for more than about 2 days a year.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

AC does definitely not exist here, there's no need for it. Heating on the other hand is really important, but not in summer. I keep my room to about 20 C all year round, but the other rooms and the kitchen were between 25-30 C.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Need to correct this. Octoberfest beer has 12%.

Point of interest: the word "Oktoberfest" is borrowed from German, so when it's used in English, you don't have to turn the K into a C.

Metope

One thing I've wondered, which is probably a really stupid and ignorant question: why is Oktoberfest always in September?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest

It's the days leading up to October!

Metope

But what's so special about October? Why are the days leading up to that particular month so special? Kind of just sounds like a thinly veiled reason to drink a lot of quality beer. Silly Germans, you know you don't need a reason for that.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

In Cambridge there is a week called May Week. It's in June. No matter what I like to think, it doesn't exist to celebrate me.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Anniversary of a German prince and princess being married; it's probably also tied to harvest festivals around the time of the fall equinox.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

high utility bills

Somehow starting at the beginning of August my electricity usage has more than tripled. I have no idea what has caused this since I'm actually running my A/C less than from May-July and I can't think of anything else that has changed in the apartment that would warrant such a drastic increase in electricity consumption. Going to have to talk to my flatmate when he gets home from an event.

Also gonna have some serious fucking words with him about cleaning because I found a few moldy french fries in the living room just sitting on the floor. Like, these have progressed beyond just sitting out for a couple days they've been there a while and what the fuck. How can you live mere feet away from rotting fucking food and not notice it.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

In Cambridge there is a week called May Week. It's in June. No matter what I like to think, it doesn't exist to celebrate me.

I propose during that week we celebrate you in the forum.

~~

Had a very nice meal with family yesterday. I even drove some of the family to the restaurant and was told I'm way too grown up.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

But what's so special about October? Why are the days leading up to that particular month so special? Kind of just sounds like a thinly veiled reason to drink a lot of quality beer. Silly Germans, you know you don't need a reason for that.
It also used to be in October, but has been moved forward because a funfair in winter weather (which sometimes happens in October) is not very enjoyable.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Hey here's a post about armor and an event.

Further on the event:
I had 7 fights in the bear pit tournament.
Duke Sir Maynard. The most recent king who stepped down. He also practices with us out here in Buffalo. I lost
The guy in that picture, don't remember his name, something with a V or a B. I should have won, but lost.
Sir Otto of Westphalia. Another guy who practices with us in Buffalo. I lost.
Duke Sir Matthew. He easily trounced me.
Duke Sir Maynard, a second time. I lost yet again. He moves swiftly like the wind.
Some Samurai jackoff. He was legged when I went in (you kept previous wounds), didn't take his obvious shots, faked him out, made him miss then planted my shield on his weapon so he couldn't pull it back and stepped in and delivered some hatred. I won.
Sir Stephan. Might be a Duke also, I dunno. First he got my sword arm, then gave me honor in allowing me to take the blow to my shield arm and continue fighting. He was most honorable in also taking his shield arm for the remainder of our bout (as in, he would not retain that were he to win) and then he won.

As soon as our fight finished, my pourpoint (a vest for holding up leg armor) decided to tear on the right side so I had to go fix that by putting on a belt to hold up my leg armor. Shortly after returning Maynard won the bear pit by being the first to get 50 wins. Then we split up into pretty much Woodland Watch and Buffalo guys vs everyone else and did a woods battle. I had a guy dead to rights after he crashed through the line and fell but he decided to be a dick and not take my moderate shot of "I've got you clearly defenseless as you're standing up." Our team won anyways so it didn't matter.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Thought for the night, does any one else have what I call a "Culture Hang up"? It's a random point of another culture that you're just stuck on for no explainable reason. It can be a really small detail, something people within the culture and out don't pay much thought but you find it fascinating.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

About to leave for my first day of this internship.

Kind of want to vomit from nervous. This is the part where my impostor syndrome rears it's head and I am not sure how I fooled them into thinking I was qualified for such an awesome position.

This is really made worse because I don't really know what I am going to be doing. Hopefully something I know how to do!

I know I should be fine. I have learned so much in the past 2 years, and when I am objective with myself, I am well qualified for a ton of work.  I didn't lie on my resume or in my interview, so there is no reason to expect that I will be given tasks beyond my abilities.  But still.

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

Good luck!

I worked as an intern this entire summer, and it turned out that what they wanted me to do, I knew very little about (writing in programming languages I didn't know, doing stuff I hadn't done before). It worked out fine!

Remember, no matter what job you get, you'll probably not know the vast majority of the things you need to do that job well before you get there. Nobody expects you to be an expert on day one! You'll do fine!
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication

What I found works for me is acting until I believe I am perfectly qualified, even when I'm totally not. It usually works well for me. Where are you doing your internship at, Papersatan?
"I like people with depth, I like people with emotion; I like people with a strong mind, an interesting mind, a twisted mind, and also someone that can make me smile."

Loki

• comeback tour!

Good luck!

I worked as an intern this entire summer, and it turned out that what they wanted me to do, I knew very little about (writing in programming languages I didn't know, doing stuff I hadn't done before). It worked out fine!

Remember, no matter what job you get, you'll probably not know the vast majority of the things you need to do that job well before you get there. Nobody expects you to be an expert on day one! You'll do fine!

Absolutely this. I had not even HEARD of R or awk before I started my internship. They loved me.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Does it help to consider the fact that the people who hired you are experienced at selecting applicants, and that it's kind of an insult to their ability to do their job to assume that they made a mistake?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

How can you live mere feet away from rotting fucking food and not notice it.

My roommates have 4 dogs, in total. Only one wanders the upstairs - living room, dining room, kitchen, etc. She is not let out often enough and occasionally poops on the floor. There were two tiny turds on the floor next to the doorway into the kitchen that stayed there, and I'm not exaggerating here, for at least 4 months. I refused to get myself involved with their dog's poop, and I was curious how long it would take them to see it. Every single person in that house goes into that kitchen at least twice a day, and it took 4 months to notice the poop.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

A neighbor was able to spot the location of the yellow jacket nest, so the exterminator will be able to make the area safe.

Much as I resent the week of pain from being attacked, it was one of the best possible outcomes that the victim was an adult with resources and not one of the dogs or babies that use the sidewalk they live next to.

There was also an opportunity for spiritual growth in overcoming my glee at the prospect of flooding their home with nerve gas.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Thousands of my enemies are now dying in convulsions.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I am working for GE.  Day one was great. If not a bit like being thrown into the deep end while learning to swim.

I am going to be doing some project management and then some Business Analysis/User experience things. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Yay for Kat!

I am covered in mysterious bruises and I usually never bruise. Most of the areas with bruises were sore last week but stopped being sore in the last couple days and the bruises mostly came up today. It was like my body was saving them up.

Metope

My regular flatmates have moved back in, and I'm so happy. One of them made lamb and chickpea curry last night and it was the best thing ever, everything is back to normal. Oh and we're all in ou final year in various courses at uni, so we can stress and vent together! It's perfect.

Loki

• comeback tour!

That moment when you are just in time to peefectly miss the office hours of your mun(i?)cipality.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Go, Kat, go! 

Re: bruising.  Deep tissue bruising that happens further below the surface usually doesn't show up until the blood pooled in the muscles finally starts to be reabsorbed and the byproducts work their way out of the muscle and make their way into the fat layers below the surface of the skin.  I pulled a calf muscle a few years back, and it was nearly a month before the bruising showed, and it drifted down my leg to the ankle - it was pretty weird. 
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 98   Go Up