THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 16:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568979 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Thanks, Carl. That explains a lot of my bruises over the years. I don't bruise easily it seems, so when I do, it's usually from a big whack or strain.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Yesterday when I was in the shower, the water suddenly turned ice cold which means someone is using the sink in the kitchen at the same time. It happens sometimes, you don't realise someone is showering and go do the dishes or something, so I just yelled loudly to make my flatmate know I was there. Usually that'll make them stop, but the cold water just continued and I realised maybe the kitchen door was closed so she couldn't hear, and then I remembered the massive pile of dishes from our impromptu dinner party the night before, so I wrapped a towel around myself and went into the kitchen to find my flatmate doing the dishes, and yes, the door had been closed so she couldn't hear me. She apologised, I finished my shower and didn't really think anything of it, until I came home today and found this sitting on my shelf:

I love my flatmates.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

So I just watched Gravity.

OH!

MY!

FUCKING!

god!!!!

To make myself clear...
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2013, 13:55 by Masterpiece »

Lines

• Awakened

Kris, the second part of that note made me laugh. Hooray for good roommates!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Allie_Allie

• Emoticontraindication

I think this is the place to post about this, so I will.

I woke up feeling groggy and with a horrible headache today, perhaps related to all the wine I had last night but I'm gonna blame it on sleeping late and not having enough Chai tea for this morning. One of the first things I did was call up my friend who I was supposed to practice for roller derby with and tell her I couldn't make it because I felt like shit. Fast forward to annoying small talk, stupid giggles over something boring and then I ended up surfing Facebook. Before I move on, let me share something with you: For the past month, I've been having dreams of my ex. An ex I haven't had ANY communication with in a little over two years. It has annoyed the shit out of me as he's someone I really don't care for thinking about. First love, first major heartbreak, the usual.

Anyways, today for some random reason, I decided to check my "other" folder in FB, and what was there? I message from my ex, the same ex I've been having dreams about. He sent that a month ago and I *just* saw it. Now my day is even more crappy as I'm debating whether replying or not. All he said was, "I'm glad you're in love. :) Be happy". I didn't even know he was stalking my page, I don't have him as a friend on any social media and we ended things pretty messy. Part of me wants to reply and just be civil, and another part wants to just ignore it and pretend I didn't even see it. Ugh.
"I like people with depth, I like people with emotion; I like people with a strong mind, an interesting mind, a twisted mind, and also someone that can make me smile."

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Welu, if the bruises are truly mysterious, perhaps you should have a blood test.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Might be something to keep in mind but the ones that prompted posting, I'm mostly sure they came from the car door. It's one medium one at about two inches and a couple smaller ones on my calf. I probably whacked my leg getting in or out.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Ah, OK. I bruise a little more easily in my 70s than I did before. I don't usually remember where they came from, and I do have a clotting thing that seems to have an effect.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I have been noticing more ladybugs. Right now, there are at least four or five directly outside my window. There usually aren't that many.

I remember when my first girlfriend and I were on vacation in Poland, there were so many a rather large stick on the beach was crowded with them.

Read some news from back then. Appears they might be Asian Ladybugs, which are bigger and more predatory than their European cousins.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

We've had a minor attack of those up here at my workplace. Annoying little beasties.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Aww, I love those little beasties.

And I just learned that they are the official New York state bug!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Yesterday my class was told, "You're all gonna filming a thing for outside people." I was terrified the whole time, you should see the handheld footage, I'm shaking so hard. Thankfully there was a second camera on a tripod. We barely got through it and the footage came out quite bad on some bits and that's just the ones I worked on. I haven't seen the other stuff but one of the other groups didn't know how the microphones worked.
They're in year two a university level media production course.

I admittedly hadn't been near the JVC cameras in about a year (I did almost all my practical work on my personal Canon 550d last year) but I knew the basics enough to get them working. The shoddiness of the day was mainly everything being done last minute with inexperienced students who were intentionally thrown in the deep end. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow because I'm really worried we're all going to get, rightfully, told off. I think I acted professionally, despite being late for the first bit and apologising a lot. I think they saw how freaked out I was and felt a bit sorry for me. At least I can say I think I tried really hard?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Are you afraid of the outdoors? I feel like I missed something integral to the story
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

People from outside the university. 

In other words, real clients.  Nothing quite so horrifying to a student as having to have professional level work while you're still learning your shit. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

I guess that makes sense. I can't even talk to people most of the time anymore. I just mumble a bunch and then try to leave.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

That's not really a joke either, I went into a doctor's office to see if they were accepting new patients and at the window just sort of mumbled out "you accept new patients" but she didn't hear me so I said it a little louder and she said no which was the biggest relief because there were other people in the room and it meant I got to leave that place quicker.

ITT I can't get healthcare because I'm too afraid to ask people questions.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Carl got it. I wrote my post right before bed and I was exhausted so it came out as a big ramble. Yeah, I hate meeting new people and that combined with being out of my media comfort zone made for a very bad day.

Just woke up and my arms are in bits from carrying the camera and tripod around town.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I just found a configuration error in my VPN server at work that's been there for five years.  Fortuitously, there is a reason that most of the time it had no effect (though it explains some strange behaviours that I saw occasionally), but a change in the working practices of a couple of members of staff has forced me to find and correct it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

Sydney Harbour is full of grey metal ships.

So much for "stopping the boats" right?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Did I mention I'm in a bowling league? Our team name is "Thanks Obama" because whatever place we get it'll be Thanks Obama. This week the team we played was named "Off Constantly" so the screen said "Off Constantly | Thanks Obama" which was apt given the whole govt thing.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I'd say you'd have to thank Mitt Romney for that

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I am going to Berkeley for the weekend, and I am going to have a great time visiting my old bandmate and busking downtown to make money so I can visit Camille up in WA. I just gotta get off my ass and go.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

So much for "stopping the boats" right?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :cry:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened

I'd say you'd have to thank Mitt Romney for that

I think you mean John Boehner? 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Sometimes my roommates need strict instructions.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Something about waking you / not waking you, I gather? 

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Currently enjoying a mild concussion and a hole in my eye.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Carl-E

• Awakened

What / who hit you? 

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Sports. I got thrown and a fraction of second someone else got thrown. And his heel hit me squarely in the left eye.
My Art.

Lines

• Awakened

I think this is the place to post about this, so I will. ... Part of me wants to reply and just be civil, and another part wants to just ignore it and pretend I didn't even see it. Ugh.

Nobody replied, so I'm gonna! Stuff like this can go either here or in the Relationship Thread in Relate, post wherever you want. :) Buuuut to reply to your conundrum...I had something similar in the past happen with the guy* I kind of dated before my husband, but if you feel like you need closure, just write a short reply. And if you don't want to send it, delete it.

*Guy sent me a text about a year after I stopped talking to him basically saying he was sad things ended the way they did and I just curtly replied that I had moved on and he needed to as well. (He got married and had a baby within this year.) I basically politely told him to leave me alone because that's what I wanted him to do. However, I replied to this the same day I got it, so given that it's been some time, your guy might have already gotten the impression that you didn't want to reply...

Lines

• Awakened

So my sister-in-law, who recently joined the National Guard, had a training accident. She fell about 30ft onto an air cushion that was only meant to handle a 5ft fall, landed on her back, and long story short, she had to have a few of her vertebrae fused together. This happened Wednesday and LUCKILY yesterday she was able to stand and today she took a few steps with a walker. I hope she continues making progress and am seriously glad she didn't get a worse injury.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

SHIT I hope she gets better soon. Talk about lucky

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

... Fused ... Together?

What does that mean long-term?

Good luck.
My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Ouch, best wishes to my tovarich and your cousin Linds.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

At first: best wishes to your cousin, Linds.

Now: a blog post of my own.

I finished my move to Karlsruhe today. Forgot a bunch of stuff, luckily nothing extremely important. Most important things I forgot are all my vinyl records and my ebook reader. My to-be flatmate moves in tomorrow afternoon. I wonder how we'll get along. I never had a flatmate before. He's studying electronics, so I doubt it'll be too bad.

I don't really have internet or a phone here yet though. My landlord wants me to get an internet access of my own to be safe of legal problems. Currently I'm using my mobile phone, but that's not really good, with me basically living in basement and such.

And fuck I'm tired. I had three hours of sleep to yesterday, and had to sleep at the couch at my father's place yesterday. And I spent almost three days with packing stuff into boxes, packing boxes into a car, sitting on the passenger seat while my father's driving at 220 km/h, packing boxes out of a car and packing stuff out of boxes. Now I'll sleep.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Lines

• Awakened

... Fused ... Together?

What does that mean long-term?

I...don't know. I know she wants to continue in the National Guard if she's physically able (I think somebody mentioned she'll find out in a year, but I'm not sure. I've met people with two vertebrae fused before who have had problems because of it, but I'm pretty sure she had to have 5 fused together (iirc it's the lower three thoracic and upper two lumbar, so right at the curve of her back) and I can see lots of issues because of this. But her spinal cord wasn't damaged at all and other than being loopy because of drugs, she seems to be doing fine. But because she's in North Carolina with her and my husband's father, we're here in Ohio, and the rest of their family is in Utah, I'm only getting limited information via phone conversations Michael is having with his dad and sister (when she's lucid). I don't think we'll know long term issues until later on.  :-\

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Sports. I got thrown and a fraction of second someone else got thrown. And his heel hit me squarely in the left eye.
Ouch! I hope the eye-damage is not serious.

So my sister-in-law, who recently joined the National Guard, had a training accident.
Even more ouch! Best wishes for her recovery.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Thanks for the nice wishes.

As luck would have it, it's the eye that has had similar damage twice in the past. Probably heal without lasting damage but you never know. The bitchy thing is that it is something to watch out for. And as I get older I seem to collect tiny issues one should watch out for. Is that what happens with age for everyone?

Best wishes to your sister-in-law. I hope the effects are minimal.
My Art.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

And as I get older I seem to collect tiny issues one should watch out for. Is that what happens with age for everyone?

Don't remind me...  I try consciously to modify my habits as necessary to counter or avoid the increased risk of whatever I've just frightened myself with.  Even simple things like getting up slowly from a crouching position, so that I don't faint (risk caused by standard post-heart-attack medication); before I had that down, I fainted in a shop against a metal display stand with corners that then cut me (they weren't a risk in "normal" use - it wasn't particularly bad design or anything).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Well ... Fuck.
My Art.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Yeah; but it's best to accept and adapt, so that you can get on with life without really thinking about it (once your habits have changed!).  But remember that I'm a lot older than you, and have had that heart attack...

Oh, and don't think I'm disabling myself in any way.  I take the dogs for 2-hour vigorous walks; cycle to and from work, and in and out of town (hilly) when needed; heave heavy stuff around at work and for concerts; run up and down stairs; climb ladders.  A few simple precautions are really no big deal.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Forgot to mention: I had my first Shadowrun session yesterday.

It would have been great, had a little girl not died from my actions. On the other hand, it appears I now have a nemesis (the NPC that killed her). Yay, character development!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Just remember chummer, watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

Trust me on that last one. You don't get a second shot to learn that lesson unless you are very very lucky.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Last night I went to the Queen Elizabeth Hall for a concert.

First up - Stockhausen's Gesang der Jünglinge.  This was one of the first records I had, in 1962 or so (a present from my older brother); last night was the first time I've heard it in the intended surround form in a hall, and it was, as expected, a revelation.  (Well, not quite the intended form, as the original tapes were lost, so it can only be played in a reconstituted four-track form, without the original overhead track.)

Then - Stockhausen's Kontakte, in the version with piano and percussion.  My son Nic played the piano (and some of the percussion), as he did when I heard it a few years ago in the Albert Hall at a Prom.  It's a much longer piece, and I don't think it wears its length very well; I prefer Gesang.

Then we had dinner with my son (we skipped Boulez's Le marteau sans maître - naughty; but there you go).

Anecdote:  Before Stockenhausen died, the BBC organised a festival of concerts of his music, and booked my son to play some of the piano pieces.  Stockhausen demanded that his wife play them instead - but the BBC stood their ground and said they had a contract with Nic, and so would use him.  In the end, they split the pieces between the pianists (and Nic got the more prominent billing - and his full agreed fee), and Stockhausen was actually somewhat complimentary about his performances.  Nic's played some of the pieces elsewhere, and I have my own recording of a couple he did at one Cheltenham Festival.

Further anecdote:  In 1969 I was working at the BBC, and was operating the tape machines for the rehearsals and performance  of Treffpunkt from Stockhausen's Aus den sieben Tagen.  Parts of the BBC SO were placed around the BBC's Maida Vale studio, and asked to improvise to the guidance of a text that Stockhausen read to them first.  Each group had some microphones, and in between the groups were speakers.  Stockhausen sat in the middle with a mixer desk which enabled him to take the miked sound from each part of the orchestra and direct it to any of the speakers, or any combination, to guide or disrupt other groups of performers.  Each part of the orchestra had another mixer desk at which an acolyte determined the combination of the microphones that was sent to Stockhausen's mixer.  The live broadcast performance took place in darkness, and lasted about 20 minutes (in final rehearsal, it had been 30 minutes, and with more form).  I met Stockhausen during these events.

Loki

• comeback tour!

*rubs eyes* 's way too early to be early.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

Last Tuesday morning, in the pool, I was all oh dang, my chlorine-induced asthma is back.  :( :(
Last Wednesday, I was thinking oh man, this is the worst allergy day of the year (which is odd, considering how late in the season it is)
Last Thursday morning, I rethought everything, for the worse.  I spent Thursday and Friday either asleep or watching Big Bang Theory while lying on the couch.

I'm still coughing, but I'm almost myself again.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Damn, now that I'm slowly getting used to living here, my perfectionism sets in. I realised how bad my workspace is organised now. The desk is far too low for the monitors and the speakers on it. All this could be solved if I got something like this in the right size. It would need to be 140 cm wide, with a height and depth of about 25 cm. I just can't seem to find something like it. Damn. Probably need to build it myself.

I just noticed that Ikea is selling these. Looks like I just need a suitable piece of wood. That should be manageable. Yay! It might just take some time.

Oh, and my flatmate hasn't arrived yet as well.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Metope

Apparently the people on my course who are responsible for our degree show catalogue are trying to get Tilda Swinton to write a thing in it, exciting! I wonder if they manage to actually pull that off.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I finished my move to Karlsruhe today.

Oh hey, I visited there when I lived in Luxembourg! It's a really really nice place. I hope you enjoy living there as much as I enjoyed my very brief visit.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 98   Go Up