THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 16:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568981 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I mean, whoever did the theft may have just gotten lucky with your CCN and PIN.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

There's something I don't get about credit card thieves buying plane tickets (and it's ALWAYS plane tickets). It's nearly impossible to get a refund from an airline without jumping through a million hoops, at least one of which would be verifying your identity, and if somebody did show up to use a ticket bought with a stolen card, you'd think security would jump them so hard they'd be lucky to ever see the light of day again.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Perhaps they buy them for drug mules...

My age has got me onto various mailing lists: at the age of 50 I was sent details of the local council's "home visiting service for the elderly", and I also started getting Saga catalogues (Saga is a UK company that does tours and insurance services for the over-50s, generally not particularly good value as far as I can see). 

However, today's post brought me a new low in the life I'm being expected to lead; a catalogue of, for example: mobility scooters, incontinence underwear, devices for putting on socks, machines for popping pills out of their holders, waterproof ponchos for wearing in a wheelchair, commodes, and "adult clothing protectors" (bibs to you and me). 

What kind of life do they think I'll have when I actually stop working and retire, I wonder?  Bah!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Surely it would be advantageous if your drug mule actually manages to get onto the flight?

When I got Facebook-engaged to Emilio (to anyone who hasn't been around here since the dawn of time, Emilio is a former forumite and the engagement was an in joke), I got all kinds of adverts for pedicures, hair cuts, makeup, dresses, flowers, shoes etc. When I removed the engagement, I got adverts for dating websites. Not quite as bad as incontinence underwear, but still an assumption that a life will take a particular course at a particular stage.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

My dear old father is so ill of health that he needs many if not all of these items ... it's a sad affair ...
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

It's good that these things are available for those who sadly need them; I'm just a bit miffed that they are sending out the catalogue as essentially a junk mailing - spam mail I guess we could call it!  But I accept that there is a possibility that one day I'll also need their services (I hope your father has an acceptably improved standard of life as a result of them).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I get heaps of adverts for pizza delivery. It's like they're taunting me.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

We get some, too; but more for Indian Restaurants.

I just noticed a tag line on the front of this catalogue: "Promoting Incontinence".  Seriously, promoting it??

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

It's good that these things are available for those who sadly need them; I'm just a bit miffed that they are sending out the catalogue as essentially a junk mailing - spam mail I guess we could call it!  But I accept that there is a possibility that one day I'll also need their services (I hope your father has an acceptably improved standard of life as a result of them).
Thank you.

Unfortunately, my old man is being propped up by modern medicine. Because, let's face it, if your heart, lungs and kidneys are giving you trouble and you're overweight and you have diabetes ...
My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

We get some, too; but more for Indian Restaurants.

I just noticed a tag line on the front of this catalogue: "Promoting Incontinence".  Seriously, promoting it??

The incontinent life style is... how do you say... a very free flow one yes?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

...I can feel the niveau of the next few posts going down the drain.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I get heaps of adverts for pizza delivery. It's like they're taunting me.
Yeah... I could roof my house with the pizza-joint (mostly Domino's) discount coupons I get stuffed in my letter-box. And, of course, the places that do offer good no-meat, no-cheese toppings never discount and don't spam me with flyers anyway. I think there is correlation; the more frenetic the marketing, the worse the food.

I'm just a bit miffed
Beware the Englishman who is "a bit miffed".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat

There is a pizza place here that sells vegan pizza WITH vegan cheese (rare - most places that can do vegan pizza just leave off the cheese from an egg-free base) but it is not really accessible by public transport and I can't figure out whether they deliver and if so, how far. Some day when someone comes to visit with a car and an inclination to eat pizza I will get them to drive me there! For now, I have got a recipe for vegan cheese which is quite nice - we made it in Norway this Christmas actually - but it's not the same as being able to buy one sometimes, as a treat.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'm just a bit miffed
The last time that happened, the Falkland Island War resulted.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Hey, that wasn't me!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Well, you seem to have done everything else in your life so it wasn't a completely unfair conclusion to jump to.
My Art.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

...Where's the "LOVE IT" button? ;)
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I'm just a bit miffed
The last time that happened, the Falkland Island War resulted.

Prime Minister Thatcher was, I believe, reported to be "a bit peeved" when the Argentinian Navy realized they were in a bit over their heads. Literally and figuratively.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I sometimes wonder if some of you misunderstand me, when I talk about who and what I am, what I mean when I talk about living your life as a warrior, about killing, and the act therein. The concept of honor... dying for something. What do all this things really mean? What's it all for? What's it amount to?

I've been called many things, through out humanity's history, warrior soldier, spartan, legionnaire, Marine, ranger, commando... and a thousand other names, murderer, monster, baby killer and many others amongst them. I've been called those last three to my face more then a few times. In the end I am, we are, all of these things and none of them. To be a pretentious git and quote one of Shakespeare's lesser known tragedies "Make you a sword of me!" (Gaius Marcus Coriolanus, watch the recent movie with Ralph Fiennes and Gerard Butler at the very least it's phenomenal). That is in fact what we the willing say when we sign up as free volunteers though the words are different. The meaning is quite similar. (Even if the usage in the play is VERY different from the way I use it here). It's been said a solider should be prepared to die for his country, I disagree. Dying for your country isn't good at all, nor should it be the goal of a military operation, as George S. Patton said, the goal is making the other poor son of a bitch die for his country. This can go poorly for us, and result in horrors and misuse the world over. A sword is no better then the hand that wields it after all, thankfully the United States any many nations are making far more intelligent soldiers these days, and slightly more enlightened, or at least more cowardly leaders, so many once great horrors have vanished from our kind, to be replaced with smaller terrors and demons all the same... but, I like to think we have made some small progress.

What then did I enlist for? Why did I say I would go? It's a question I get asked a lot, and it's a complex answer. More complex then I think I can ever explain in words, it can simply be understood by those with a similar mindset. In short though, beyond all other meaning and reasons, I could, I was willing... and if I went, someone else wouldn't have to.

Then the question comes, from those too dumb to know better, or those bold enough to demand such answers... what would you kill for? Or die for? When it came down to it... when it was just me and my soul, checking my gear before I was told my orders had been changed, and I would not be sent overseas (I believe this was the third or fourth time I attempted to volunteer to deploy) I faced myself and thought, not of country and colors, cause or creed, simply the men and women by my side, my brothers and sisters, family of mine by choice, and by oath, for them... if it meant saving just one life of those I called mine, and called me theirs in return, for the chance to survive... and for the chance to ensure the safety of those I care about, there and here... living and dying for what, in the end can only be called love... some honor that perhaps.

Not for the love of death, and the act of killing. To survive, and give my life so that others may live.

"You're not a soldier! I'm a soldier, with the career goal of all soldiers - staying alive in situations where it ain't all that easy to do! You're a death-lover. Some sorry son of a bitch has got you convinced that dying for a cause is oh, so romantic. Well, that's the worst kind of all the kinds of bullshit there is!"
                                    - COl Kerby, Taps

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

TAPS
beloved and hated movie.
extremely good story.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I hate the movie except for that single quote.

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->

Might have not paid enough attention to detail.
Might have inadvertently got myself and the wife summons'd to court for non-payment of council tax.
Have definitely sorted that out before the wife gets home tonight.
Have found out that the council now probably owe us some money.

I may be a useless, unemployable lump of a husband but I'm damn well not going to be a useless, unemployable lump that earns his wife a CCJ. Still going to get it in the neck tonight but at least there's a better chance my head will still be attached in the morning.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Oops! Hope it all gets sorted to your and your wife's satisfaction...

I just had to report the fact that for some reason our bin wasn't emptied today. Everyone else's was, the bin bags which were next to the road were taken too, but our bin remains in full view of the street, filled with rubbish. Since there are three households using a standard-size bin, it fills very fast, and is already overflowing. We can't wait another two weeks for it to be emptied!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I wrote and recorded a new song, probably my best instrumental work yet. And since nobody ever goes in the "own music" thread, here it is.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/kimjongsick/one-person-heard-it[/soundcloud]

Obviously, I am having trouble getting over my breakup from about 2 months ago, but finally finishing this song is helpful. And hopefully it doesn't sound too whiny. My favorite part is the solo at the ending.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

[...] and is already overflowing. [...]

That's possibly why. Around here, if the bin lid does not shut or there are more than a certain number (four, I think) of bags, the bin will not be emptied. I'm not entirely sure how that is supposed to help, because now you have two loads of rubbish to dispose of next time. However, my family is allowed a larger bin and rubbish amount for some reason. You might also be if you tell your local council.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

They know we're a multiple-occupancy house, and I think they do do larger bins for those, so I'll chase it up. They've always emptied it before though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

My dustmen will leave a bin who's lid isn't fully closed - it won't go through the mechanism that tips them in the lorry properly.  Here, bigger bins are available, but are charged for.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They'll happily take bags which are lying loose in the road, but will leave an entire bin because one bag is slightly holding the lid open - could they not remove that one, throw it in by hand and then take the bin? We're not talking huge sacks here, I use the smallest size of binbag (about the same size as a carrier bag) because my flat is too small for a proper bin!

The Seldom Killer

It comes down to economics and patterns of behaviour. If they do it for you they have to do it for everyone. If everyone does it then the amount of time spent emptying bins is higher, the amount of rubbish to be transported is higher and the cost is higher. With landfill rapidly vanishing in Britain, prices are already escalating and it's encumbent on councils to deal a bit of a heavy hand on reducing the amount of waste we produce. Providing less space for it is supposed to help with that.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I am hoping to reduce the amount we put in the general waste bin, by locating the recycling boxes which are currently somewhere in the back hallway behind two bikes, a spare door, five chairs and a broken cupboard, and putting them in the main upstairs hallway where everyone will see and hopefully use them. I will, of course, be the one who has to remember which week to put them out, so if I'm not home on a Wednesday night they'll sit for a month, but I felt guilty chucking out recyclables, and now I'm sick of tripping over the bag I've been collecting them in ever since.

The Seldom Killer

If you have any amount of garden then composting helps too, more so if people in your house do any proper cooking. Don't really even have to use it.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

My room-mates were up till 5, talking and watching funny internet videos. What that means is that they kept me up or kept waking me up (worse in my opinion), even though I mentioned having to wake up early. The one who is always waking me up by watching Django or similar Shit at 7 in the morning always acts really surprised when I tell him to stop waking me up in the morning, saying: "none of the tenants before you had any problem with that. Are you a light sleeper?"

I think it's very unfair of him. Even if I were a light sleeper, it should have been motivating him to be more careful about waking me. It doesn't help that he has the loudest laugh known to man, so even if his TV isn't waking me, it's his laugh.

Anyway, it's 8:20 now and I'm dancing to music naked in order to wake up. And I've forgotten about the school on the other side of the road again -_-
At least the music is good:

Barmymoo

• Mentat

If you have any amount of garden then composting helps too, more so if people in your house do any proper cooking. Don't really even have to use it.

Sadly there is not even a sliver of garden. I would love to grow my own herbs but I can't even do that on the windowledge because the kitchen cabinets are higher than the bottom of the window and the blind would knock the pots over. This is not exactly a well-designed house, it's more of a "we have spare rooms in this commercial building, how can we make more money out of them?" situation.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Have you looked at an egg crate herb garden?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It sounds intriguing, but there are two issues with me growing plants. One is that I seem to kill plants by being near them - I didn't even manage to grow cress on a tissue and my potted rose died within days. I even killed a cactus. Another is that my flat is absolutely miniscule and I honestly don't have a single flat surface where I could put even an eggbox full of plant. I suppose I could maybe put one on the bookshelf - but it wouldn't get any light.

So my laptop power cable stopped working. I touched it; it made a crackling sound, felt very hot and I'm pretty sure I saw sparks. I've ordered a new one but it won't arrive until Tuesday. I now have three hours of battery life left until then, and must spend an hour of it on tutoing on Sunday. Won't be around much this weekend!

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I... you... how the heck do you kill a cactus?

May has the death touch! Cool super power? Yes!

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

I've killed a cactus before! I watered it too much.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Drowned the poor thing, did you?
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Yep. It's easier to keep other plants for me because I'm good at watering frequently and regularly. Turns out a cactus isn't really into that...
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Lines

• Awakened

Well, you wouldn't be either if you came from the desert.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Someone was talking about how often to water a cactus, and she said that when she heard that it had rained in her home town (in Arizona), THEN she watered the cactus.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

There's a nice article based on interviews with my son in the weekend edition of the Financial Times.  He talks in particular about his artistic relationships with the British composer Harrison Birtwistle and the American composer Elliott Carter.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

Just saw a Bernard Allison live - brilliant 4-piece band, amazingly forcefull Bluesrock with a sprinkling of Funk thrown on top for good measure.

It's been such a long time since I last let a really good band blast the cobwebs and the constant leaden worries out of my head and came home with a silly smile glued to my face and aching calves & feet (The fact that it takes a lot less these days than it used to in order to accomplish the latter two can't currently bring me down).

Gods, I guess I really missed that!

(Also, I think that maybe now I'm finally over divorcing my beloved five-string & can just enjoy listening to music again the way I used to. About time ...)
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2014, 16:36 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

I... you... how the heck do you kill a cactus?

I.....might have killed 3 of them. And a spider plant.

I want to try again once the weather gets nicer. Maybe.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

...I'll be straight with you lil'cheese, I ain't never heard of a black thumb before.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

:-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

A truck engine backfired on campus. Quick, call the SWAT team!  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I went in to SF last night to see Autumn Sky, who our very own Jimor has worked with. She's not only an incredible musician (despite the venue's sound person SUCKING FUCKING MISERABLY OH MY GOD GET A DIFFERENT JOB BECAUSE YOU ARE AWFUL AT THIS ONE) but a genuinely wonderful person. And her band are all wonderful people too. I bought an EP and she autographed it. And when she's famous it'll be worth thousands and I'll guard it so jealously that I might as well quote Modest Mouse and say "PLEEEEATHE BURRRRY ME WWWITH IT"
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The boss has re-released Permanence. I have not as of yet had a chance to listen.
Just another Joe like 46

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I started a new thread on this: 

Kickstarter Recording
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 98   Go Up