THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 01:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568815 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

eBay failed to deliver an unusual hard disk I had bought from the US (the supplier sent it to eBay Global Services for international shipping).  It was probably misdelivered by a tin-pot local courier.  As the address is a commercial building with logged goods and mail inward, I can prove it never arrived.  So I opened a case with eBay for non-delivery.

First they said it was delivered, because their tracking information said so.  Then they failed to provide any information such as reception signatures or courier logs which might have enabled me to trace where it had actually gone (I did check adjacent buildings).  Then they said they wouldn't compensate me, because they found that the seller had sent the item as required, and closed the case.

I appealed, pointing out that the seller had delivered the item to eBay Global Services for shipping (they documented this), so my complaint was with eBay, not the seller.  Then they said they needed extra time to investigate this.  Then they said the case was suspended while they waited for information.  Then they said the case would be closed unless I provided them with the case ID of a complaint that I had lodged about my loss with the cybercrime unit of the Internet Crime Complaint Center run by the FBI.

So I have now reported eBay to the FBI (at their own request), and provided eBay with the complaint ID.  I await their next move with interest and ever-increasing amazement.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

UPDATE:  less than ten minutes after I sent eBay the complaint ID, a full refund of the item and shipping costs popped into my PayPal account.  WIN!  But they really made me work for it!  Clearly they are trying to get people to give up before getting to the (undocumented) end of the process.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

That is an excellent example for bogus customer support. The only worse case I can think of is EA.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

my mom once spent an entire week on hold with Dell customer service. seriously used her cellphone to order delivery dinners for us since she couldn't make dinner.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I suppose it probably doesn't help to say that their commercial business support is superb...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Dude. Don't get a Dell.

Ever.

For anything.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I am not aware of any manufacturer whose home machines are anything like as good as their commercial ones.  That's why I build my own.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Dentist appointment tomorrow.
Don't wanna.
Need to.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Today marks the 6th anniversary of Kosova's declaration of independence from Serbia. I lived in neighboring Albania at the time, which shares a language and a culture with the young nation. Considering the mutual genocide that happened only 9 years prior, I was sincerely worried, and at the U.S. Embassy in Tirana (the capital of Albania, and the embassy where my mom worked at the time) even issued an order for everyone to pack a bug-out bag in case shit got real.

I remember the smiles of faces in passing cars, the honking of horns that didn't stop for a solid week, the Albanian and Kosovar flags waving side by side all over Tirana... the free drinks bought for me without my consent simply because I, an American, must have been directly responsible for the NATO bombing campaign that brought an end to the hostilities between Serbia and the other former Yugoslav states (yeah, people actually told me that)... it was surreal, to say the very least.

I can't believe it was 6 years ago.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Don't Lose Your Way.

It's up to you to determine your course and path in this life, it's easy to drift along the paths provided. College, cubical, steady job, easy life. No risk, no daring, no courage needed... it'll just work out sooner or later. After all, why should you do anything else? Dreams and visions are elusive, just the process of your mind giving way to something solid from the ethereal can be a painful birthing, the process of finding something you can truly be passionate about a mine field of the mind in a world where creativity is stifled and the values of finance and utility are pressed. Do not ignore such things, food and other basic things are an unfortunate nessecity of living, and when managed properly can enrich your life on the whole, but it is easy to be enslaved by these simple comforts, staples of the easy life that can prevent you from finding the road before you even leave your door. Complacency kills you long before you die.

Suffering: It's easy to be overwhelmed by the small things that come up in life. We are dragged down by these things and overwhelmed by them, like a large insect falling under a tide of biting ants, strong are the prison bars we create for ourselves. We must fight the ants, suffering is all a temporary problem. Money, pain, loss, gain, sorrow, joy. Waiver not in these things, or let them sway you towards the promise of easier paths. EVerything can be overcome with will to some extent and at the very least you can avoid being forced to your knees, and continue to slowly shuffle forward. 

Seducution: Seduction is almost as, if not more dangerous then the internal world of suffering. The external pleasures that pull and ply at us are more wild and varied then the simple facts of suffering. They vary for each person, and come in many guises, they can be releases from suffering or responsability, ignorance, or the simple illusions of safety the unadventerous shield themselves from when one avoids the demons within and without, these are lethal in and of themselves, but when mixed with or in place of baser pleasures which can distract and enthrall us, seduction quickly gives way to destruction of the mind and self. Seduction can come in the form of people too counseling an easier path because they care or are worried, even if their real motive is jealous from not having the courage to do what you might be striving to do for yourself.Discard these people from your life, if they truly cared about you they would support you on the path.

The Path: We all have a road to walk, it has a beginning and an end. It must end, will end, at a time yet to be made known to you, and it began with your birth. These are the only sureities in life. That you have been born, and that you shall die. Everything else is up to random chance and you. Cock the dice in your favor and get running. Carve your own road, no one's going to do it for you.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Oh my god Garand that post adds up to 33!!!!!
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

What?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

He'll get it.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Look what arrived earlier today!

(click to show/hide)

Yussssssssssss

My PS3 is arriving later today, so I'm gonna play some GTA V tonight!

(I added a :mrgreen: for loki)

GarandMarine

• Awakened

On this day, 19 February 1945, American Marines, sailors and soldiers landed on the small island in the Pacific named Iwo Jima, burning a lasting legend into American history and to the lore of the United States Marine Corps as they began the invasion of the Japnese home islands.

"By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans serving on Iwo island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

- Admiral Chester Nimitz

Loki

• comeback tour!

(I added a :mrgreen: for loki)

I appreciate the sentiment, but: huh? I don't have a particular fondness of dinosaurs that I can think of.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Robbie Coltrane was at my school today and he was just randomly hanging out with some people on my course. I was stuck in a crit so I didn't get to meet him.

Apparently he told my friend Matthew he was a wizard.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Who?

Metope

Guy who plays Hagrid in Harry Potter. He also played in a James Bond movie, not sure which one (they're all the same to me).

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Your daily reminder not to trust cops

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

And your daily reminder that paranoia can lead to a life of misery.  It might just be worth also remembering the millions and millions of people who have opened the door to a cop and not been shot.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Cops commit murder every single day. Whether by mistake or by ill intent it happens. Besides not trusting any one and paranoia are very different things. I'm just suggesting people be prepared to take care of themselves.

Metope

A cop saved me from a very possible sexual assault/robbery/whatever that scary guy following me wanted to do with me once. Most of the time they're actually just doing their job, but you won't hear about that since it goes mostly unnoticed.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I'm glad you've had a good encounter with LEOs. I'm not saying all LEOs are bad, even most LEOs for that matter. I am just saying the same organization has the potential to kick down your down, shoot your dog and hold you at gun point because they got the wrong address. The same people who will absolutely lie, trick, intimidate and lead you into tickets, searches or possible detention.

Again I've noticed a very different attitude in Europe vs. The United States towards their police, maybe Europe as a whole just has a better relationship with law enforcement. In the U.S. however, the cop down the street might be a good guy, but he's not your friend.

Metope

Yeah this was Norwegian police, which is a lot different from US police. Norwegian police have to go through a 3 year degree that includes psychology and ethics on top all the other stuff police do, and they don't carry guns.

I have a telling anecdite about police in different places actually. I live in Glasgow, and I was dating an American who also lived here at the time. Once night we were walking home, and these three women completely off their faces were being loud, obnoxious and so drunk they could barely stand, let alone walk. Two police officers walked by them and did nothing, and bot my boyfriend and I were puzzled by it. Turns out he was puzzled because they didn't even reprimand them, he'd almost expected them to be arrested, while I was puzzled because the police didn't offer to drive them home.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

We (a group of more than five girls and me) were being stalked by two guys while we were at a bar, they kept trying to grind the girls, I kept intervening. At one point they tried to threaten me, and one of them said "how many friends do you have?", threatening me to get away lest they call their friends, I responded "enough", looking at him with disgust.

We left, and the guy followed us for five blocks. At some point we called the police and they talked with him. He disappeared, and we were super thankful for the police guys.

Never before that moment did I have balls like the ones I had when I said "enough". They were both double my size and I didn't flinch, and felt awesome. What an adrenaline rush that was.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Never before that moment did I have balls like [that]. They were both double my size and I didn't flinch, and felt awesome.

What, your balls?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Goddammit guys how is this a blog topic.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Coppers with guns or gargantuan testicles?

There once was a man from Devizes...

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I have two days off :) Today I will tutor, shop and then cook. Tomorrow I will sleep in, do the shop accounts, go to an opera rehearsal and then chill out for the evening. Somewhere in there I will also have to wash up and tidy the flat since it's vanishing under a heap of mess. These shifts really aren't conducive to living normally!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Double posting tralala I just bought a t shirt with a rainbow heart on the front to wear on the day the first gay marriages happen (Bob, it's the day we're going touristing round York).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I get to see the Pixies tonight, suckaaaaz

Metope

I bought tickets to see The Notwist when my boyfriend is here next month! I am really excited about seeing a great band with my favourite man, it'll be an actual date instead of this LDR crap. Yay!

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Double posting tralala I just bought a t shirt with a rainbow heart on the front to wear on the day the first gay marriages happen (Bob, it's the day we're going touristing round York).
You're assuming it'll be warm enough for a T? I should find something in support. A pin, maybe. I don't think this would do.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Last day of March, should be warm enough for a t shirt and cardigan (although I will, of course, be carrying a coat - you only leave your coat at home in July).

Metope

I never leave my jacket at home, no matter how hot it is out. I guess that's how you spot the Northerners. :p

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It was consistently 30 degrees between 7am and 8pm pretty much every day last July, surely even a hard-core snow dweller would concede that's not coat weather!

Metope

Well no, but from experience I know that no matter how hot the day is, as soon as the sun goes down it'll get really cold. And if it's a weekday and I'm getting up early to go somewhere, it'll always be cold in the morning too.

Lines

• Awakened

Even in summer I carry a long sleeved something because it's going to be cold whenever I go inside somewhere.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I get to see the Pixies tonight, suckaaaaz

Oh fuck you.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

That's something I hadn't known to expect about the USA actually - we don't have anything like as much air conditioning here (I think it's something like 1% of homes, at the most) and shops aren't chilled, they're just cooled slightly. I certainly appreciated not having to lie on the floor and pant like a dog, but it was a weird adjustment having to put on a layer to go inside.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Yes, but you're from Europe. We actually experience significant heat here :P

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I was sent this article this morning. If they want, I could delay the apocalypse by sending them some of the 115 F (45 C) weather we've had here over the past couple summers.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It was consistently 30 degrees between 7am and 8pm pretty much every day last July, surely even a hard-core snow dweller would concede that's not coat weather!

30 degrees... Hon, it gets up to 35+ in July and August in some places over here. You'd melt if you were in Phoenix in August.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

The highest temperature in Phoenix since I have lived here is 50o C (122o F).
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Metope

She didn't say it was too hot, only too hot to wear a coat. 35+ sounds lovely, I love hot weather, as long as it's not humid. Air-con is okay if it's not freezing inside, and a lot of places in the states keeps the temperatures needlessly low inside. Such a waste of energy, and it just makes it even more of a shock when you go outside in the heat again! There's air-con in Europe too, lots of places in Europe get the same kind of temperatures as the states... They're just usually better at keeping it temperate inside.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

...okay 50c is way too hot.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Fuck anything over 20. I like warmth while also being able to sleep at night and move without sweating to death.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Then you'd melt in my apartment. It's set to 72°F (22°C).
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

She didn't say it was too hot, only too hot to wear a coat. 35+ sounds lovely, I love hot weather, as long as it's not humid. Air-con is okay if it's not freezing inside, and a lot of places in the states keeps the temperatures needlessly low inside. Such a waste of energy, and it just makes it even more of a shock when you go outside in the heat again! There's air-con in Europe too, lots of places in Europe get the same kind of temperatures as the states... They're just usually better at keeping it temperate inside.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

...okay 50c is way too hot.

Considering how far North the bulk if Europe is compared to the U.S. I doubt you have any where in Europe that hits much of the South and South West's average temps in the summer. Maybe down on the Medd....

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Yeah, I once experienced 46°C temperatures in Croatia. I'm a bit worried about what will happen in summer now, as the city I'm living in is on average the warmest one of Germany. I grew up close to the baltic sea, so I'm used to temperatures around 27°C. But my room typically had 37°C, as I was living under the roof and there was no wind at all.

I totally agree with you Gareth, fuck anything over 20. Damn, what I would have given for a good strong winter. But I'm living in the wrong place for that. I didn't even see snow. Damn, I want dry -20°C and a clear sky and not these wishy washy 11°C and rain.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 98   Go Up