THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 May 2024, 23:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568798 times)

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

No opportunity to put a fan in a window, either to blow outside air in or to exhaust inside air but draw fresh air in from another open window?

Metope

Yeah, how far north most of Europe is is irrelevant, that's not how temperatures work. You have to consider lots of things, like how the stream from the Mexico Gulf heats up most of Northern Europe for example. The Mediterranean, Southern Europe and lots of mainland Europe have 40+ C regularly in summer.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I'd like the weather to make up its freaking mind. Either give us proper sunny weather or give us cloudy, not sunny in the morning and cloudy when I get up.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

Yeah, how far north most of Europe is is irrelevant, that's not how temperatures work.

Very true.

I lived for a couple of years in a lumber mill town in Northern Ontario.  There were essentially no paved roads or railways in a line due north from the end of my street to the north pole.  The ground was fertile, but the growing season was too short, and the climate too harsh to be considered feasible for farming.  We were 3 hours drive from the nearest city of 50,000, and 6 hours drive from the nearest city of over 150,000.  Beyond the lumber industry, the main reasons people went there were the military (cold war installation with north looking radar that has since closed down), cold weather testing for major north american car companies, and truckers taking the more remote but faster branch of the trans Canada highway.

We were pretty much the same latitutde as Nuremburg.

Metope

Ha yeah. Oslo can easily get 30 C in summer, although usually it's around 20 C, which is a pleasant temperature. Oslo is also at the same latitude as southern Greenland, where the snow never melts.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Barmymoo

• Mentat

People do buy plug-in fans here, but I've never seen a window air con unit like I saw in the USA.

I turned on the radio to drown out upstairs neighbours' sex noises, and the radio is playing an opera that sounds like sex noises.  :psyduck:

Also, I basically delivered a baby today. My mentor was also hands-on and directing me, but I did a fair amount of it. :D
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Congratulations! And did the mentor congratulate you as well?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I get to see the Pixies tonight, suckaaaaz

Oh fuck you.

I'd rather fuck their new bassist, sorry pal. Paz Lenchantin is goddamn precious, and she was completely killing it on bass and on Kim's vocal parts. She had this foot-pedal keyboard that she'd play some synth basslines with, and she'd be standing on one foot and lifting her leg a little higher than really necessary to move her foot to the next pedal, and she'd stomp on the next key and oh my god it was the cutest fucking thing I've ever seen and it made brilliant music happen and holy shit, mind = blown

also Black Francis had a sick SG Jr. and Joey Santiago had his hardtail Les Paul literally in his pocket at one point and I have never heard an instrument scream in agony like that before
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I get to see the Pixies tonight, suckaaaaz

Oh fuck you.

I'd rather fuck their new bassist, sorry pal. Paz Lenchantin is goddamn precious, and she was completely killing it on bass and on Kim's vocal parts. She had this foot-pedal keyboard that she'd play some synth basslines with, and she'd be standing on one foot and lifting her leg a little higher than really necessary to move her foot to the next pedal, and she'd stomp on the next key and oh my god it was the cutest fucking thing I've ever seen and it made brilliant music happen and holy shit, mind = blown

also Black Francis had a sick SG Jr. and Joey Santiago had his hardtail Les Paul literally in his pocket at one point and I have never heard an instrument scream in agony like that before

FUCK. YOU.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

I know I've mentioned it before, and I'm working on making it better, but I still sometimes confuse Gareth and Patricks, so this Pixies dialogue is kind of delicious.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

...because they're both white as fuck, right?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The motherboard on my wife's computer gave up the ghost, so I moved her disk into another machines, where it's working fine.  I decided to get a new motherboard and processor to use the old case for a new server (I need to replace my Hyper-V server, because of a Microsoft stupidity*).  I bought a new mobo from a local backstreet shop, and a processor from Amazon.  Didn't fit.  Turned out that the mobo box had a different motherboard in which has a different socket, so I'll have to go back tomorrow and get it swapped out.

* I use Hyper-V core (which has no GUI), because it's free; but MS have made it that a Windows 7 machine can administer a Hyper-V 2008 server, but not a Hyper-V 2012 server, whereas Windows 8 can administer the Hyper-V 2012 server, but not the older 2008 version.  So when I upgraded my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 8 I discovered that I had no longer any way to administer my server host!  I've put Windows 7 on an old laptop for now, but will replace the server with a 2012 version in the next few days.  This requires new hardware (because it's about time, and) so that I can do a new installation and have it ready to transfer the virtual machines - because although the two servers are versions of the same SKU, there is no upgrade path between them either!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

Because they're both english musicians who live in California?  I dunno....   :? :? :?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Gareth lives just a few miles from me in central England; and Patrick was born in California (he's mentioned his birthplace a couple of times recently).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

How can you confuse them? Gareth is made of sads and Patrick is doing anything but touching his balls. Easy.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Our first forum dialogue comes screaming back to me...

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Of course, Gareth gets my reference.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

How can you confuse them? Gareth is made of sads and Patrick is doing anything but touching his balls. Easy.

I was going to say "NO YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG." until I realized you were joking.

I can tell apart Gareth and Patrick apart no problem. But they're both such nice and also incredibly sexy people, so I understand your problem.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

He said, fully erect.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Hur hur hur :D

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

You guys need to stop playing into my fantasies. I'm looking at you, Gaz and Masterpiece and occasionally Pat.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

...she said, raising her whip above her head. Masterpiece bowed lower, humbly replying, "yes, mistress" as she tightened the shackles even further.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

ev4n I'm kinda curious where you got the idea I was English? I'm ultra NorCal, I just lived abroad a while. And not even in England :3

You guys need to stop playing into my fantasies. I'm looking at you, Gaz and Masterpiece and occasionally Pat.

the hell did I do?  :?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Nothing actually wrong, don't worry <3
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I think that was all me love.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

ev4n I'm kinda curious where you got the idea I was English? I'm ultra NorCal, I just lived abroad a while. And not even in England :3

I remember you joking about your dick being so large that you accidentally fucked the past itself.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

gave up the ghost
That expression is a thing in English? o.o
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

In dutch too.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

gave up the ghost
That expression is a thing in English? o.o

To give up the ghost is a completely commonplace idiom in English; "gave up the ghost" is the exact phrase used at the moment of Jesus's death in the King James Bible in the Gospel according to Matthew; and in the online dictionary I checked the example usage is for a computer, as I used it.  "Ghost" in this phrase means "spirit", of course (just as the phrases "Holy Spirit" and "Holy Ghost" are equivalent).

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

I have no idea where my confusion comes from.  It's illogical and embarrassing.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Huh. I thought that expression existed only in German.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I remember you joking about your dick being so large that you accidentally fucked the past itself.
[/quote]

well, how else would you explain every awful thing that happened back then?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

How? I'll tell you how! ...With some difficulty, that's how!

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991

I mean, what do you think they based the Large Hadron Collider on? Blueprints?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I had something kinda exciting happen tonight, I often stop and help stranded motorists, cause I'm a fucking boy scout apparently. Also the motorists out here are very unlikely to be cartel members trying to lure you in so they can rob you and steal your car like AZ. Long story short, dude ran out of gas so I took him to go get gas and gave him a lift back to his car. He thanked me, said "Let me pay you for the gas" handed me $40, wouldn't let me say no, just shook my hand and sent me on my way.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I had something kinda exciting happen tonight, I often stop and help stranded motorists, cause I'm a fucking boy scout apparently. Also the motorists out here are very unlikely to be cartel members trying to lure you in so they can rob you and steal your car like AZ. Long story short, dude ran out of gas so I took him to go get gas and gave him a lift back to his car. He thanked me, said "Let me pay you for the gas" handed me $40, wouldn't let me say no, just shook my hand and sent me on my way.

You're a good man, Eric.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

he's also trained and probably well-armed, so he can afford to be. ;)

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I can't legally carry in DE so I'm relatively unarmed.

I did just get a sexy birthday present though!

« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2014, 17:55 by GarandMarine »
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Posted it elsewhere for people who are "in" the hobby, but check the spoiler for what I've been up to.

(click to show/hide)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Dear blog thread,

I am now officially free from work-work for about 10 days. This past week was pretty intense. We saved some people, lost some people. I poured myself into my work alongside the incredible people I have the pleasure and privilege of working with and it felt amazing. But coming home from work was even nicer. The missus and I have lived in a little bubble of domestic bliss, hanging out, playing Guild Wars 2, planning our kitchen and sleeping lots. We've laid out a kind of wooden flooring on the balcony and it's really pretty and comfortable to walk on! Also a brilliant invention. We've bought all the cabinets etc for the kitchen and have managed to suppress the terror that constantly threatens to overcome us and turn us into sobbing gibbering wrecks :o My mum's here with a couple of her friends, a surprise visit, and it's been really lovely because we were really beginning to miss her. We went out for Bengal food last night and had a loud Bengal night and my quiet introverted ginger had a blast... tonight mum's treating us to the best thing in the world, namely mama-food :)

We had an impromptu after-work-goodbye-please-come-back-beer hangout in the middle of the week. The adorable nurse who's charmed both of us old perverts is leaving for a few months, which is sad, but we had a great time together and it feels like it's never really too late to make new good friends!

That night ended with one of the most sublime experiences I have ever had. I kid you not--even with all the amazing things that have happened in the past year alone, it was one of the best moments I've ever had. It was the feeling of freshly fried warm crunchy chicken nuggets magically appearing inside my mouth through the providence of my beloved elementalist/warrior/chef/artificer as I lay in bed happily drunk wrapped in a warm coccoon of pure bliss spouting all sorts of incoherent nonsense about how wonderful the world was mixed with (I think?) ramblings about the pharmacotherapy of parkinsons disease.

Based on the above as well as on my many work-themed posts of the past few months I don't think anyone will disagree that this little "vacation" has arrived not a day too soon. I spent the day after my last night on call just puttering around, putting away some paperwork that has been hanging over my head like the sword of frickin' Damocles for way too long. My two awards for being good to our students were announced that morning and I was congratulated. I reckon that saved my ass from the chewing out I'da gotten for the late paperwork. It turns out that the evaluation of last semester's course was among the best they've ever gotten, and it was also one of the few times when our boring old wards have gotten so much appreciation, scoring top marks for that semester and (informally) even when compared to other courses. It was the culmination of a whole semester of high-points and it really boosted everyone's spirits. It's incredible just how much energy that sorta thing can give to a group! And it's really nice to leave on a high-note :) that's it for now, most patient and indulgent blog-thread, now I return to the never-ending task of emptying the kitchen
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Lines

• Awakened

I am sick. AGAIN. I am not pleased. This is the first time I've had strep throat since I was in...second?...grade.

I had plans to see Miyazaki's last movie tonight. God damn you immune system!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Went out last night to be with friends. I was super drunk and stoned, and a girl I've run into around town for a few weeks (and then one night she drunkenly shoved her tongue down my throat, followed by constant nothing) showed up and I didn't notice, so I didn't greet her. She saw me hanging out with my friend Lisa (obviously enough, a girl) and took massive offense to me hanging out with her and then not saying hello when I 'obviously saw her'.

So she gets super pissed off at me and decides to leave in a giant huff, followed by her texting me all angrily and accusatory-like. And so I asked her where all this was coming from, and she called me super rude and all this bullshit. And I'm like "Alright dude Idk where this tantrum shit is coming from but I'm not going to have any more of it. We're not dating, we never have been, and even if we were, you don't get the right to pick and choose who I get to hang out with because you're jealous of them."

She's all apologetic today and I'm not fucking having it, I've ignored half the shit she's sent me and I'm seriously not about to fucking take this shit from anyone. Least of all somebody who has zero time for me.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So you're saying someone pulled the drama tag in your life, hm?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

So. 

Three weeks after applying ("We'll contact you within a week") I got a phone interview for the online teaching position.  It was ... weird.  It was a group interview, all three of the candidates at once, answering different questions to the committee.  It went really well, but it was stiff competition, too.  We all did well...

"Any question you have?" they ask.  I asked what the timeline was like - what we could expect. 

"We'll contact all of you with our decision before the end of the week". 

So here it is, nearly three and a half weeks later, and I finally get an email. 

Dear Carl -------,

Thank you for taking the time to discuss the Online Full-Time Faculty - Mathematics - Associate Professor (1131-175) position. Our staff found it a pleasure speaking with you and learning about your qualifications. We appreciate your patience throughout our search process.

It is our top priority to select a candidate who best matches the skills and experience required to excel in this position. While we were impressed with your qualifications, after careful consideration we have decided to move forward with another candidate.

We greatly appreciate your dedication and contributions to American Public University System.

Regards,

blah, blah, blah. 

I've gained 5 lbs in stress eating.  Now for another 5 with the depression.  Except we're out of money again, so... I need work if I want to keep eating at all.  Or let the rest of my family eat, for that matter.  Had to take out another loan against my retirement account to make ends meet for the next few months.  Including the payments on the old loans...

I can't make the writing for hire thing work, it's ... awful in many ways.  I checked my community college email yesterday for the first time in over a week, and found I missed the Monday deadline for requesting courses in the fall.  And that the dean-in-charge-of-adjuncts' grandmother died. 

So I sent a combined condolence / beg for a course email. 

I'd sell my body at this point, but I doubt there'd be any takers. 

And just while I was writing this, a guy came into the beer store and asked if we were hiring.  He worked at one of our distributors for the last 42 years (he's 59, started in the warehouse at 17) and just got let go.  No warning, no nothing. 

No, seeing someone worse off didn't make me feel any better.  But at least I could commiserate. 

I know I haven't been around much, and I don't think I will be in the near future, either - just thought I'd drop in and report, since the last you heard I had high hopes. 

Going to sing at the the ash Wednesday service tonight.  I'll be chanting the Great Litany for the first Sunday of lent, too.  I wish I had something to believe in (for those who don't know, I'm not even christian.  I just go to the church because it's my wife's and I like to sing). 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

:-(

I know there is little I can do to help matters*, but I just want you to know that I'm sending positive thoughts your way. *hug*

*It doesn't sound like much, but if you'd like I can literally help you feed yourself and your family. If you let me know what grocery stores are around you, I might be able to help you get some free/cheap food (if you're comfortable sending me your mailing address via PM, I could even order some coupons for you online and have them sent to you). Let me know? I know it sounds like a pain in the ass, but it really helps. Plus- you've already got half the coupon battle mastered- you'd be surprised how many folks run away because of the math.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Paypal?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I.. I'm sorry.  I was being a little hyperbolic about feeding the family.  We've madde a lot of cuts, and can do some more.  I'm just ... upset.  Depressed, a little, too I think. 

A lot frustrated. 

Thanks, though. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It is upsetting and depressing. It does not, however, reflect on you as a person - simply on the economy at the moment which is frankly a disaster.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Loki

• comeback tour!

*hugs*

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

I figured as much, but the offer for help still stands. It's insane what happens to our wallets at the grocery store and it's one place where you can cut back on spending and not see a big difference on what you're bringing into the house. You may not have to make any more cuts. Plus, it's the one area that I actually feel I can help in. I'd love to just help everyone out by handing over a wad of cash, but I can't do that. I can, however, help them keep some more of their own money in their pockets.

Not to mention, when things get really tight for us, I sell some of the stuff I get for free on eBay.

I know I blabber on about coupons all the time but they really do help me get by. Without coupons, Nick and I would probably be eating ramen every day. With them, we can eat pretty damn well. I actually have money for beef, chicken and produce because I either don't pay for shelf stable items, get paid to buy them or pay pennies.

Either way- we're definitely all hoping for good things to happen to you.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 98   Go Up