THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 09:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568907 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It probably doesn't help that gas prices are going north toward $4 again.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I'm just ... upset.  Depressed, a little, too I think.
And no wonder... If I could beam some good vibrations your way, I would.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Paypal offer stands. If only because I believe that teachers are a criminally mistreated class of citizen in more than a few countries.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Carl, if you do find yourself in a financial emergency or if there is any loan you may be able to pay off in full with some help, holla. Like, whenever.

Good luck man, i've got my fingers crossed for you. Also, don't stop singing or doing any of the things you like that you can still do. Exercise, read, cuddle your wife and kids, etc. It's easy to forget these things or feel like you don't have the energy or good cheer, but maintaining them gives you more energy in the long term and keeps the darkest of the darkness at bay during times like these. peace
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Same here buddy. Ask and I'll send what I can.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

So you're saying someone pulled the drama tag in your life, hm?

Yes. Then 2 days ago, same stupid girl started a huge argument with these two girls who had never so much as spoken to her. Walked up to one of them and said, "Oh, I love your sweater, I have the same one. Looks better on me though. I'm not as fat as you." Understandably, the girl it was directed toward wasn't too pleased with being called names/told she's not as good-looking. Drama Chick tried to play the martyr, and nobody bought it. The two girls, both regulars, decided to leave the bar.

After this incident and the shit she pulled on me, I told her that I'd be speaking to the owners about both incidents and that they're not gonna be blind to somebody causing problems in their bar. She got super pissed off and I was like "Look kiddo, I work at this bar one day a week. I know you love this bar because you love to start shit, because it gets your rocks off or something, and you'd be devastated to get 86ed. But I WORK here. It's in my interests to keep this place drama free. You are the biggest fucking drama queen on the planet. I hope you'll stay the fuck away from here, but if that won't work, at least keep your shitty stupid opinions to yourself next time."

A little interesting coincidence: the two girls she started a fight with? one of them is the last girl I slept with. it was recent. neither of them had any idea I even knew the other, and yet there was still a fight that started over jealousy. I love people, they're so delightfully shitty.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Aimless

So, all in all, it was a pretty good thing she didn't have any time for you

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Basically. And in hindsight I should work on not letting my temper allow me to say the shit I did. I just cannot abide people being awful to people who didn't deserve it, so I like to think I at least had my heart in the right place. Am I fuckin up?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Sounds like she deserved the hellfire and brimstone to me!
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

No, you are doing your job. It's her fault that she needs to be beaten over the head with the rules. SHE is fucking up. There is no justification to be that cruel to someone you don't even know. Anyone, really! Unless like, the girl she bitched at had peed in her purse or something. (Hey, it's a bar- you never know)

As my favorite saying goes- if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your fucking mouth shut.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

So...she works there so she gets to be an ass? Last I heard, being an ass was a good way to not work someplace any more.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

No, Patrick works there, and that means it is his job to kick her out for being an ass.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

So he does. I did wonder what was up, but I'd read that post two or three time and still didn't twig.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

it's not even my job to kick her out, my job is simply to host the music night every week. and since things didn't become physical, the official policy is to leave it alone and let the children sort themselves out. but since this girl has a history of starting shit with people, which occasionally turns into shoving matches, I wasn't going to let it slide. especially when she caused two regular customers to want to bail on the bar they consider their home base for their nights out.

Aimless

Alea iacta est :o

I have been very nervous but things are progressing nicely and now there's a really nice large pass-through in the wall :) and the tiny door into my closet thingy has been widened to the point where it's comfortable to use!

It's been a pretty cool weekend. I can understand why people get addicted to this sort of thing. It's been really cool to see how it's all done, to help, to learn. I've spoken more with my wife's dad in the past couple of days than I have in the past few years I think :o I have probably also inhaled more radon-tainted concrete dust over the past couple of days than I have in my entire life up to now. Most of the drilling, sawing, hammering, wrecking etc is done. This week we paint, set up the cabinet doors, plan some more, sell off a couple of shelves, learn about ventilation... and I will be back at work which is a little :'( but it's mostly outpatient work and good hours which is :)

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor

ha ha HATS

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

GarandMarine

• Awakened

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83934150/

Trigger warning: Helmet cam, POV footage of a Marine triggering an IED and surviving.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Trigger warning: Helmet cam, POV footage of a Marine triggering an IED and surviving.
The only think I'm glad about is that the man survived. I hope recovery from his injuries goes well.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Hey peoples, I think I'm ready to start lurking and maybe post here again. What have I missed?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Weclome back, Welu.  You have only missed a few fuzzy dogs.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Hey peoples, I think I'm ready to start lurking and maybe post here again. What have I missed?

Not much, but you'll never guess what we've missed.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

lepetitfromage

Yay, Welu's back!

I think it's time for an update. Things have been hectic. I don't remember what my last house update was but there have been lots of fun speed bumps along the way. At first, the process kind of went *whooosh! House time!* and then everything got delayed, then sped up, then delayed, then sped up again.

We've finally gotten the approval from the second bank. No changes need to be made to our contract. Woo! Now for the bad news: the bank withdrew their original promise of a 3% seller's concession, so ALL of our closing costs are out of pocket. This is NOT good news. We're waiting on the final amount now. Additionally, we found out yesterday that they want us to close on the 31st of this month. Which means we have a month's overlap at the apartment. Which is good (no rushing, ability to paint prior to move-in, etc.) but also bad (paying for two places to live at once=expensive). Aaaaaand, we also found out yesterday that we have to pay for a land survey. Yay! Our lawyer's office recommended one that was $850. After some Googling, Nick found one that has been in the business for over 25 years and charged $550 to have everything done by the beginning of next week, so we said noooooo fucking way to the one our lawyer's office recommended.

Phew!

Other than house stuff, I have been working my ass off. I have like, 3 new tasks at my full time job because I've been assigned to a new committee for a new family care model we're rolling out this year (although- they're fun. Mostly design and marketing stuff). Aaand Shoprite has been giving me around 16-18 hours a week. So, I'm close to 60 hours of work every week, packing the apartment and I think I'm fighting off a cold as well. I've been having a hard time falling asleep because I'm so wound up from working late that I neeeeed down time before I actually go to bed. Plus, I've been waking up sinus-y for the last few days. But....things aren't bad, they're just....insane.

The funny part? I'm essentially running on auto-pilot and I'm so exhausted by the end of the day that the two REALLY simple things I REALLY wanted to do in the last week or two, I haven't had a chance to: call my mom and cut coupons. I think tonight is the night.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Hooray for house progress! It might be a little different since you're closing at the end of the month, but I don't think we had to make a payment until the second full calendar month when we bought. The first month's payment + a prorated amount for mid-month closing was all built into the closing costs. Hopefully that's how it works out for you and you don't have to pay a rent and mortgage at the same time.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Papersatan

It's been a while.  Things have been exciting for me.

Back in December I got a thing

I also figured out what I want to be when I grow up.

I also have a good chance of finding a job being that thing.

Also, we had to have our cat Sam put down because of a tumor on his jaw :(

But we got two new cats recently, and they are wonderful.   

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Congratulations!

And it is always good to figure out what you want to be when you grow up.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Great! Too bad it's the U of M. ;)

(Teasing. Congrats, PS!)
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Congratulations on your current and upcoming success!

I am sorry about your cat. I wish they lasted longer.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Grow up? But that's boring...

Congrats on the certificate, though. What does the smaller text say?

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It's been a while.  Things have been exciting for me.
Yay! Missed you so much! Congratulations!

Papersatan

Thanks guys.

Congrats on the certificate, though. What does the smaller text say?

It's my Master's degree

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Congratulations and welcome back!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It's my Master's degree

So you're Papersatan, MS? :)
Just another Joe like 46

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Yay for happy Kat happenings! Hugs for not so happy happenings.

Papersatan

It's my Master's degree

So you're Papersatan, MS? :)

MSI, technically.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Even more congrats, then!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

My mood seems to have stabilised a bit in the last couple days. Still tired and drowsy but have a bit more motivation to at least trying doing things, even if it's not what I should be doing.

I'll probably be offline from March 30th to April 11th, unless I'll have wifi at the hotel. Will post to Facebook and Twitter a little if I do. Still can't believe I'm making the trip to New Orleans this weekend. It doesn't feel real at all. It felt like it would never come and now it's here and I'm totally unprepared and terrified and excited.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Well, yeah, I'd be terrified of going to New Orleans, too.

EDIT: forgot the ;)

Have fun down at the other end of US 51.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2014, 19:29 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

You should have Wifi at the hotel, even run down hell holes have wifi in the states these days.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I'd expect enough for emails and such but I know lots of other people going to the same event will be staying at the same place. More will it be stable enough to use is the concern.

Well, yeah, I'd be terrified of going to New Orleans, too.

EDIT: forgot the ;)

Have fun down at the other end of US 51.

Thanks! :-D

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I got decent service at all the conventions I've been too, and I usually stay at cheap hotels because I'm an absolute miser.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

You should have Wifi at the hotel, even run down hell holes have wifi in the states these days.

Even so, I had more days without functional wi-fi on my tour of the US Southwest 18 months ago than I did touring Sri Lanka and Nepal the  previous years.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Yeah, but that was the Southwestern US. If you weren't in the Phoenix/Tuscon/Albuquerque area, or somewhere there was a relatively large amount of persons, Wi-Fi might be spotty.

If it was Vegas, I'd just have to assume that the casinos had it blocked.
Just another Joe like 46

lepetitfromage

Woohoo! Congrats on your fancy paper :-) I'm sorry you had to put your kitty down.  :-( Your new kitties look like adorable little mushes, though.  :-)

Lines

• Awakened

I'm a bit late to the party, but hooray for you, Kat! Sorry about your furry loss, but it seems you've gotten two new friends to make things a little easier. :)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Loki

• comeback tour!

Dear diary,

today I visited a good friend of mine, F, for the first time in months. We met with a friend of hers, C, to drive over to the Netherlands for playing lasertag with a few other friends of theirs. We were, however, delayed by the untimely visit of a foreign diplomat causing blocking of a lot of streets.

When we finally could start, it turned out the car we would be getting from F's dad was... rather desolate. We were told it would sometimes not start properly. Also only the doorlock on the right side of the car would open. We could finally go on our trip, though.

It turned out we somehow missed three exits on the Autobahn, which led us to arriving half an hour late.
Turned out it was a large arcade hall with a huge lasertag complex. Two of the three game rounds we booked were wasted. The price had already been paid by a friend of theirs. We were, however, partially reimbursed with tokens for the arcade games (nowhere enough though.)

We had our lasertag round and I had a blast, because it was larger and different than I had expected. The complex basically had three areas, which were also on different levels, allowing shooting up or down on your enemies. It was awesome.

The rest was not so much.  We tried some of the arcade games, but were quickly bored with them. Considering I needed to catch my train, we decided to leave, rather disappointed with the experience.

This was hindered by, you guessed it, the car not starting for a few minutes. Eventually a guy who was also in the parking area came around and offered help. I suppose it helped two of us were girls. We were already thinkg about what we should do if the car wouldn't start.
After much tinkering with the motor, it was running again. C offered him money, but he wouldn't have it.

We finally drove back, vowing to not turn the motor off, no matter what. Had a few interesting conversations on the way (I now know quite a lot about their sex lives) and got lost once in the process.

We agreed our adventures on the road were the most interesting part of the evening.

Luckily, I caught the second-to-last train home, which is where I am writing this entry from.

I hope it finds you well.

Sincerely,
Loki

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

That sounds like a fun day! Just FTR though, I don't think desolate is the word you're looking for. Wide open deserts and abandoned, windswept towns are desolate. Busted ass-cars are... decrepit, maybe?
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Hm. Cannot I say "that old house is in a desolate condition", though? Why would a car be different?

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up!

Post editing out spelling mistakes: wow, I should really go to sleep.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Decrepit would be a better word to use in either situation although I like the use of the word desolate.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Derelict?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Lindsay Lohan -like.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 98   Go Up