THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 08:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568899 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Are you talking about Govindas??
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

That's the one, yeah!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Aimless

They have great food yeah :) vegetarian restaurants with an Indian twist are pretty much the only really good ones I've come across here in Sweden when it comes to both yums as well as $$$. Buy several portions when you can and keep it in the fridge :o

Aimless

Or recruit a personal lunch shopper!

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

This is long and bloggy. But that's what the thread is for, no?

So I think I've got things sorted with unemployment and  should get enough money from them to pay rent before rent is due again.  Also, we are getting a roommate for a little while, which will help.  A friend I went to school with, who has also not found a job, has a lease that ends early next month, so she is going to take our second bedroom until she finds a job.  I did the math last night and with the unemployment and her rent, we will only need to charge a few hundred a month to pay our bills and eat and what's it. 
Also, I may have found Steve a job through a friend.  It's only one day a week, but that is a start. It's income in and recent, local experience and references.  I should know tonight if that is for sure. 

In job news, my brother contacted me yesterday about a technical writer position at his work, so I've applied and he also gave my resume to his director.  It seems like it would be a nice gig, the pay is pretty good, I could move back to Rochester and it's doing work that I think would be interesting and be relevant enough to help get me where I want to be in 10 years.  It would be writing the internal and external documentation and training materials and running some live training sessions, for the company's adoption of IPv6.  I only understand the basics of IPv6, but I am confident I am able to learn it, and understanding, distilling, and communicating meaning, particularly of complex concepts, is one of the few talents I am confident I have.  (Confirmed by outside sources like my academic crush professor.)

Though, my faith in my abilities is undercut somewhat by this cover letter I am failing to write for another job posting.  I am applying to run the social media for two of the schools at my university (including the one I just graduated from) and I can't seem to find the words I want.  I hate writing cover letters generally, but this one is proving much more difficult than usual.  I am having trouble molding what I want to say into content appropriate for a cover letter, instead of a rambling tresies on the creation of identity in a post-modern world.  Which is sadly ironic, since one of the things I am trying to say is that I understand the way meaning is built across contexts, and how the medium of transmission is inseparable from the content, and that I have the skill to use the context of a particular medium to enhance the overall identity each school is attempting to communicate.

I am regularly frustrated as I apply to jobs because I feel an immense pressure to have my self-marketing materials be perfect, because that is the skill I am selling.  Like, you don't hire an electrician by going into his house and checking all his lights, or even an archivist by digging through their physical and digital files and tsk tsking at their system, but I keep applying to jobs where I am pitching my ability to organize and communicate information and ideas effectively and in a way that makes an argument beyond the 'facts.' That's exactly what a cover letter, resume, portfolio site, linkedin profile, twitter account etc are meant to do.  If I can't do it well with them, it seems self evident that I am ill suited for the jobs to which I am applying.  I know some of my peers feel the same way about their portfolio websites, since they are doing UX stuff and then feel pressure to have their website be responsive and usable across platforms and to meet all common heuristics for usability and so on, but I feel that *and* the need to have the copy be perfect and eloquent, on the website and the resume and the god damn cover letter.  It always comes down to the damn cover letter.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I had a lecture about IPv6 this Friday! It's pretty nice (I like Anycasts)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

While there's still a lot I need to learn about IPv6, but I fucking love link local addresses.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Neither work (Oxford University) nor my home ISP (Zen Internet) has rolled out IPv6 yet, so even though I first learnt about it over ten years ago, I still don't have any chance to set it up usefully.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

This is going here because I don't know where else to put it.  Stephen is a restless sleeper, he talks and he twitches and he has, in the past, actually interacted with me with his eyes opened while still asleep.  Anyhow last week we were asleep and I was being the big spoon and I woke up to him twitching and pulling on my arm so badly that it hurt.  I was able to extract myself, but this is the lingering bruise that my elbow left on his upper arm. :s

[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Barmymoo

• Mentat

So, uh, I just bought a chair. It's in Nottingham. I'm not in Nottingham. Are you allowed to take furniture on the train?

Edit to add: Apparently it's too heavy for one person to move alone. Does anyone live near Nottingham and would be prepared to babysit the chair until I can come collect it in my friend's car? It's a very nice chair, very well behaved and house trained.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2014, 13:40 by Barmymoo »
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Aimless

Does it understand commands like "sit", "stay", "roll over"? :o

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

So, uh, I just bought a chair. It's in Nottingham. I'm not in Nottingham. Are you allowed to take furniture on the train?

Edit to add: Apparently it's too heavy for one person to move alone. Does anyone live near Nottingham and would be prepared to babysit the chair until I can come collect it in my friend's car? It's a very nice chair, very well behaved and house trained.

Ask me eight years ago? :psyduck: how soon does this need to be?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I don't know exactly - if you were selling a chair on eBay, how soon after the sale would you want it out of your house? I have no urgent need for a chair, but I think the seller would like it not to be there for too long.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

If it's already paid for? I wouldn't care if the buyer didn't pick it up for a month, unless I really need the space and have nowhere to store it. Ask them.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

My parents might be able to babysit the chair if you made it worth their while but it's by no means a guarantee as it'd be honestly a bit of a weird favour to ask. If I still lived there myself I'd obviously happily do it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I'll see what my options are - I surely must know someone who lives in Nottingham.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Sorry May. Wish I could be more helpful.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

It seems that Harrison Ford was injured during filming today, and is currently in the hospital at the end of my garden.  My wife watched the helicopter that brought him in (though she didn't know at the time, of course).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Hodgy - you, me, some ninja gear, a digital camera with a night vision setting, and a £5000 cheque from OK! Magazine. LET'S DO THIS.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Only 5000? It's Harrisson Fucking Ford.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I wasn't aware his second name was fucking.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Each, for starters.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Yeah, if you can get a picture of Ford Prefect in that situation, you should be able to get way more than 5000 out of him.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

And it's OK! Magazine. If he's not losing weight, gaining weight, having an affair or addicted to drugs they don't care.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

So sell it to People or The Sun instead
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

- Change WhatsApp profile picture
- In the next 10 minutes have 3 girls compliment me on it

feelsgoodman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

So sell it to People or The Sun instead

I actually have an 'in' at the Sun, in the showbiz pages, so I could do that. I'm not joking.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

I have enough of a Liverpool connection that I think I'm obliged to hate the sun for all eternity.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Oh I hate it too.

But I'm a journo grad who occasionally stumbles across a story. And they have deep pockets.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I have enough of a Liverpool connection that I think I'm obliged to hate the sun for all eternity.
Just cause you Brits never see the sun don't mean you gotta hate on it :parrot:
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I'm not sure that joke's going to go down well, although I suspect you'll get the benefit of the doubt.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it Loki

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

Happily enjoying the long canadian summer nights at the moment, thankyouverymuch.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Well you're Canadian ain'tcha? That's about as British as being from Wyoming.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I'm at a student organized festival sitting next to my quasi platonic crush and drinking delicious Bavarian Weissbier.

I suppose life is good.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

My wife has an interview for a job in South Africa at the University of Cape Town.  That's to say, the interview is in South Africa, as she's already had a first round by Skype.  If this goes forward, life could get very ... interesting in a hurry.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

It certainly would. Have either of you ever contemplated such a move?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Not since we were married.  My wife had an interview for a post-doc position in Chicago before we met, and might well have gone if invited (she liked Chicago a lot).  The reason this present opportunity arose was not that she looked, but that she was approached by a head-hunter.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Had my first shift in six months at the shop. First half hour was tough, very shaky and felt in the edge of an anxiety attack but pushed through it. Ended on a high with a fun bit of banter.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

My wife has an interview for a job in South Africa at the University of Cape Town.  That's to say, the interview is in South Africa, as she's already had a first round by Skype.  If this goes forward, life could get very ... interesting in a hurry.
So ... she's got to pop over for an interview for a bit? That really is a whole new level of interview anxiety if it involves plane schedules and clothing choices based on stylishness and climate.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

They're organising the travel, and suggest she flies at the weekend for seminar and interview on Tues/Weds, returning on Friday.  That way she can get to see the place as well, which helps with her side of any decisions.  But yes, a week out at just a month's notice, for an interview!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

It sounds ... well, nuts, really.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Sounds like an amazing experience regardless of what the interview ends up resulting in.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

She didn't actively initiate this - she was head-hunted, and is rolling with it since she is interested in the possibility of a change.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I was flown 2000 miles on a week's notice for the interview for my current position. If you're a good candidate they (employers) of a certain caliber WILL move mountains for you.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

But evidently, it's easier just to move you to the mountains.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

If it's a free trip to the (other) USA, hey, great. Do keep in mind that there is generally a reason why places hire head-hunters: they can't convince people to take the position.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

At a certain level of post it becomes more common, though, because the pool of possible candidates is much smaller.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I went to collect a package that my mom sent me from home, but when I got to the post office they wouldn't give it to me because my ID was expired. So now I'm screwed. I'm trying to reach the postal service to arrange a new delivery and this is what I get.

"If you want us to call you back, enter your phone number." *enters phone number* "The number you have entered was *string of numbers that does not even have a single matching digit to my actual phone number or bear the slightest resemblance to an existing Swedish phone number*. Is this correct?"

Fuck it, you try to call that number, I'm done here.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

my ID was expired.

Does your ID revert to describing someone else when it expires?  Or is it you that expired and no longer match your ID?
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 98   Go Up