THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 23:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568262 times)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

That always puzzled me as well, particularly if the card has all of the recent security doodads that shows it's not a fake (and if you're going to fake an ID card, wouldn't you create one that isn't expired?)

In personal bloggy news, the cable access station I work for is going to name my local music TV show (which I produce as a member at large rather than as staff) as member-produced show of the year. It's a nice honor for the work me and my crew have done in trying to create a quality program with good production values. And yes, the bar is admittedly a low one for the most part, but my own personal standard has always been to create a show that doesn't look like a cable access show, and I think we mostly succeed at that. The interesting thing is that the award is going to be presented on a live broadcast this evening, which will be only the 2nd time I've been in front of the camera other than in background shots as crew doing crew stuff, and the first time was as an extra in a sitcom with no lines.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

my ID was expired.

Does your ID revert to describing someone else when it expires?  Or is it you that expired and no longer match your ID?
The answer is bureaucracy. Anyway, even if I get it delivered they still want to see a valid ID so that package is going back to the Netherlands.

That always puzzled me as well, particularly if the card has all of the recent security doodads that shows it's not a fake (and if you're going to fake an ID card, wouldn't you create one that isn't expired?)
The extent of security doodads on my current ID card only goes as far as a micro-perforated imprint of my photo - that's quite cool, actually. But I don't think it even has a chip.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2014, 09:43 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

My broadband is sorted! I set up the router on my own (admittedly I followed the instructions, but I did not ask my dad for help - that didn't stop him offering it, he is currently lecturing me about using an ethernet cable to assess the initial speeds so that he can reassess them in a week, and I am refusing because I don't want to and it's my router) and it works and it's mine and now I can watch catchup TV without it freezing because I'm borrowing internet from a neighbour!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

he is currently lecturing me about using an ethernet cable to assess the initial speeds so that he can reassess them in a week, and I am refusing because I don't want to and it's my router

1. you should listen to your pops
2. that is literally the worst reason ever to not listen to your pops
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I'm just a bit sick of him taking over stuff like this. I want to be able to deal with my own computer issues, and setting up a router isn't exactly tricky. I have no need to know the internet's speeds with various different configurations of wires and no wires, I just want to know how it works the way I'll be using it, which is wirelessly.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

true or false: during troubleshooting, it's important to have concrete data on what's normal

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Patrick, the basic issue here is that I dislike being patronised about my ability to deal with my own computer stuff, and also dislike being lectured at. Maybe I am being petty, but that's my right. I'm paying the bills, I bought the router, I'll have to deal with the fallout if anything goes wrong. My dad just likes to be in control of everything.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

This conversation is a carbon copy of one I had with my bandmate regarding leaving his guitar out in the rain, exactly one month before the warping finally caused the neck to delaminate from the neck joint in the guitar's body.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

But leaving your guitar out in the rain is certain to damage the guitar. Choosing not to plug in an ethernet cable at the same time every day for a week in order to run speed tests so that your father can judge the quality of the ISP you've signed a year's contract with already isn't going to damage the internet.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

This conversation is a carbon copy of one I had with my bandmate regarding leaving his guitar out in the rain, exactly one month before the warping finally caused the neck to delaminate from the neck joint in the guitar's body.
Initial reaction: ... he's a cunt.

Fair reaction?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I love him with every fiber of my being anyway, but yes, very much so.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

May is right; there is no need for her dad to interfere.  If he's interested, he can offer advice - but these days it's no more necessary for May to measure the speed of her interface than for her to defrag her disk weekly, or even at all.  If she has a problem in the future, that will be because it is affecting her use of the connection - and her supplier's support team can measure the speed more easily than she can (and will have records of past performance too).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

About eight months ago, I quite my then-current job (front- and back-end web development, a small amount of DBA work). There was probably the equivalent of 2.5 developers doing work that kept six of us busy when I started there (everyone left). I was paid £4.98/hour.

A couple of days ago, I was sent this link.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Lines

• Awakened

If it works, who cares. It's May's internet in her flat, not her dad's, and it won't damage anything. It's like how my mom reacted to me telling her I had ordered a drink last night and it was bigger than I expected - she started offering me advice on how not to get too drunk or get a hangover. I did not need that advice. (I don't get hangovers from alcohol.) We didn't need advice over something that was not broken and would not be broken, unlike your friend's guitar.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

You can also be 46 years of age and have problems setting up a router.

Especially if it's a wireless one.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

May is right; there is no need for her dad to interfere.  If he's interested, he can offer advice

This

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

Found the immigration records for my grandfather and great uncle this week.  Emailed them to my dad, and then we found my grandmothers.  Somehow, I'd missed that she was a home child as well.  (EDIT to clarify - all 3 were home children.)

I'm curious but sad about their stories.  I pinged my dad with what I'd found, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't really want to talk about it.  He's told me a bit of what he knows about my grandfather's and great uncles experiences, and it's pretty sad/awful.

I'm going to read a book or two on home children, I think to try to get a better understanding, but I won't push my family at this point.  The pinciples are all dead, and I don't want to upset anyone.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2014, 06:23 by ev4n »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Home children?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_children

Home Children is a common term used to refer to the child migration scheme founded by Annie MacPherson in 1869, under which more than 100,000 children were sent to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and South Africa from the United Kingdom.

Australia has apologised for its involvement in the scheme, while in February 2010 UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown made a formal apology to the families of children who suffered. On 16 November 2009, Canadian Immigration Minister Jason Kenney issued a statement that Canada will not apologise to child migrants.

Ostensibly, it was a charity drive to get poor kids off the street and into places where they could be productive and loved.  Practically, it was a child labour and indentured servitude scheme that took kids from their families.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I don't understand why you would apologise for something in 2010 that was done in 1869 and was nothing to do with you.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

The same could be said for so many things, but sadly, countries will always be held accountable for the actions of their forefathers.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

I guess my sister talked to my dad, and he dug up a bunch more stuff.

He sent me handwritten notes of when he talked to my great uncle around 30 years ago.  I started scanning them, and on the top of page 2 was "beatings were vicious"

I think I'll read them when I'm not at work.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

The same could be said for so many things, but sadly, countries will always be held accountable for the actions of their forefathers.

The human race has a very short attention span, except for when we've been wronged. Then we hate the wrongdoers forever, and their kids.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And their great-great-great-great-great grandchildren's great-great-great-great-great grandchildren.
Just another Joe like 46

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

so it's midsummer and I have a whole four days off! Wednesday was my last night on call (for a while) and on Thursday I went shopping for a new suit and a nice shirt for the wedding we're going to next week. it sucked a little because I only have to buy a new suit because I've put on weight in undesirable places (impractical places too) and because I hate spending money on that kinda stuff... and also because my favorite kind (with three buttons) was impossible to find (so last year) but still pretty sweet because I found a nice grey one with a single button and comfortable pants, both of which fit almost perfectly. ditto for the nice and extremely comfortable albeit expensive dress shirt! tried it out when we out that night to have dinner and hang out with friends (one of whom is moving and turning my world into a slightly less bright one :() and it felt good.

it was a good night! we went exploring and discovered an arboretum, a secret meditation cave, a helpful sign, a dramatic scene and then we drove ourselves crazy solving a diabolical 3D-puzzle.

today we're at our in-laws' cabin where we're just relaxing, eating good food and entertaining ourselves by throwing socks at babies' faces. I'm using this post to try out a possible solution to my android bbcode woes but it doesn't seem to be fulfilling its promise.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I have a new friend! He's a regular customer at my work. We hung out for the first time the other day. Seriously one of the coolest folks I know.

I am still sore and exhausted from Wednesday, when I woke up at 5:30am, helped my friend move until 12:30p, got home by 1 to get ready for work at 2, then worked til 7pm at BevMo!, then went to the bar and worked/performed there until 3:30am, followed by waiting on Scotty (owner/bartender) to finish counting his tips. Got home at 4:30am Thursday morning. Fuuuuuuuuuuq.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

I don't understand why you would apologise for something in 2010 that was done in 1869 and was nothing to do with you.
On the surface it seems pointless, but if those affected get some sort of solace out of it then I'm all in favour of it.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

It's not really about the Minister apologising for anything they have been responsible for. However, as a minister, they are also one of the mouthpieces of the government and the country that it serves and administers. While people themselves should never be expected to pay for the actions of their ancestors it isn't really the same for countries. Despite changes in administration, governance and leading political parties, the country persists. It isn't a new or different country from the that which it was previously. So if we, as a country, believe that actions taken in the past were wrong or unacceptable, I think it's right that there should be a public acknowledgement of that and an apology. So, as a Canadian, I do think that although the actions took place over a century ago, Canada had something to do with it and Canada should apologise.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

You could also ask the people of Mississippi.
Just another Joe like 46

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

The effects of what happened to my family 2 generations ago still reverberate today.  That said, I disagree with the idea of financial reparations.

Apologies?  I don't see a problem, but as I said above, everyone is dead.  Yes, the crap they went through made bad things trickle down to us, but it's not going to change any of that if they apologize.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

So many things happening, most of them good, but not enough time to talk about them. Expect a larger number of posts after this weekend.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

We shall! Sending congratulations on the good things and power to see through the not so good ones!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Short info about my current situation: I'm sitting at the GPN (Gulaschprogrammiernacht, a small hacker convention organised by our local hackerspace), listening to electronic music I don't know, but is good, looking at a giant LED cube. Lots of nice people here. Some people I'd rather avoid, but this is luckily a large enough event for that.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

a small hacker convention organised by our local hackerspace

Small? >.> I am told it has 300 people or somesuch.

The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

One of the things that anyone who is seeking to do Genealogical research should be prepared for is that sometimes you may not like what you find. There are some things that may not seem to make any sense, but will result in you discovering a previously unknown event or action that resulted in a close-knit family unraveling very quickly - and, by looking back from a distance of several hundred years, unexplainable.

A second one is that genealogy research is generally done at a glacial pace. Information becomes available at a very slow and ingratiating pace, especially the further back you are from the event.
Just another Joe like 46

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Small? >.> I am told it has 300 people or somesuch.

Keep in mind that I'm used to the Chaos Communication Congress, which had over 9000 visitors last year. (no over 9000 jokes please)

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Pomegranate hookah and lamb kabobs while people watching on main street for dinner. Not a bad Saturday night. Also got to hang out with my friends Wes and Marissa which is always cool.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Hookah, shisha, nargile, I'm guessing it's all the same thing?

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Yeppers.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

At the very least it is a way of openly and explicitly saying that what was done was seriously not OK, rather than essentially pretending that it never happened. I mean, would it be better to say, for example, that sure the Massacre of Wounded Knee happened, but you don't care because you personally were not there?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

One of the things that anyone who is seeking to do Genealogical research should be prepared for is that sometimes you may not like what you find. There are some things that may not seem to make any sense, but will result in you discovering a previously unknown event or action that resulted in a close-knit family unraveling very quickly - and, by looking back from a distance of several hundred years, unexplainable.

The seed is strong.  :psyduck:

Are you currently researching your family's history??
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Currently for like the last ten years.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

At the very least it is a way of openly and explicitly saying that what was done was seriously not OK, rather than essentially pretending that it never happened. I mean, would it be better to say, for example, that sure the Massacre of Wounded Knee happened, but you don't care because you personally were not there?

The apology for that latter event would be far more sincere if there weren't still Medals of Honor on the books for it.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Moving is always a pain in the ass, but moving countries after having made art for four years (and also shopped a lot) is another level of difficulty. I've had family members who visited me bring empty suitcases for me to fill, and I've filled 6 of them with 20 kilos of stuff each. I still have two suitcases I will bring myself plus a 10 kg carry-on case, and wow. That's 170 kg of things! Only one of those is clothes, the rest are mostly books, sketchbooks, folders, paintings and prints. I also have to ship a box with the larger paintings I want to take home, since they don't fit in a suitcase, and I'll put my massive duvet in that box too. I'm leaving 8 large paintings in a friend's garage here since we'll have an exhibition next year, and I've also thrown away a looot of stuff. Plus trying to sell some things of value (like my printer) and giving away things I don't need that are too nice to throw away but too meh to sell. This is nuts, how do I own so many things!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

You haven't thrown away art, have you?!

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

I've thrown away a few really bad studies from last year, but other than that I've kept everything, which is why those suitcases were so heavy. No idea where I'll be able to store it all once I get home though...

Oh and I'll have to abandon this one painting, it's a 120x120cm mdf board. Any other paintings that size are on canvas so I can just roll them up, but this one is just too big and heavy to move overseas.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I know the feeling Metope and I don't even have multiple years of art >.>;

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

The apology for that latter event would be far more sincere if there weren't still Medals of Honor on the books for it.
Very true, of course. It is a very obvious example of the problems involved in apologising for bad actions performed in the past, while people continue to enjoy the fruits of those actions today. Like museum curators crying crocodile tears over imperialist looting while continuing to fill their displays with its proceeds. Or those of us who live in homes standing on land that, although the titles may have passed through many twists and turns of subdivision and change of ownership, was originally seized without a qualm from native peoples left marginalised, displaced and largely excluded from our society. Generally, we cannot undo the crimes of the past, so we have no alternative but to beg forgiveness and move on, but our words are hollow if we do not work to address today the legacy of injustice that we all inherit.

"Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee."
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Okay, as I don't know where to fit this, a blog post about shaving. And I mean in my face. Mainly under my chin, because I want to keep my beard.

Anyway. I've always had enormous troubles with ingrown hairs after shaving. First I was using an electric razor. After a while I switched over to a Wilkinson Quattro which I used until about 5 days ago. I had used up my blades again, and those things are mightily expensive. There was this one thang that had always fascinated me though. My father prefers using solid shaving soap instead of shaving foam from a can. And a friend of mine switched to shaving soap and classic safety razors (the really simple ones, with a single exchangable double edged blade) about half a year ago and was very convinced of it. Curiosity got the better of me and I bought a safety razor. A Timor Butterfly (TTO) safety razor. I also bought shaving soap, a shaving brush and a after shave splash. Actually I bought two shaving soaps and I already had an after shave balm before. I've tested the two soaps, found the one which I prefer by a lot, and shaved with a safety razor for the first time. It was a bit rough, not having to adjust the blade angle yourself takes a tiny bit of getting used to, but was okay. At least not worse than with my Quattro. During the following days I got used to handling the safety razor, and making my own foam from the soap. I'm not going to go back to the Quattro.

This single blade irritates my skin far less then the four blades on my Quattro, with similarly smooth results. It takes a few minutes more in the morning, but to me that is absolutely worth it. And the blades are fucking cheap. I've also started to love the care products of the company "Speick" (pronounced 'shpike'). Their shaving soap and after shave is incredibly good. And I really like the smell, even though it's sometimes being described as being a typical old people smell. I don't really consider it that, the smell isn't "heavy" enough. Not enough herbs. At least my grandparents don't smell that way.

Anyway. Can foam and cartridge razors bad, shaving soap and safety razors good.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

What are safety razors?!
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 98   Go Up