THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 08:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568892 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

....what do you do again?

I run a block of servers and computers, covering both technical and end-user support, and look after the security of data for clinical trials of drugs and procedures for cancer treatment; I do these things for three related but separate groups within the University of Oxford.  I am well-paid for what I do, but that's also a benefit of seniority and extensive and wide-ranging experience.  Also, I no longer pay rent or a mortgage.

I am also, ex officio but being also a graduate of the university, a member of Congregation, the large body that is the ultimate governing body of the University.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2014, 08:08 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

No no, not that, I know you're a grandmaster IT wizard. What do you do with the top line audio equipment? :p
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Record things.  Mainly just as a hobby.  Looong ago I was a recording engineer at the BBC (in radio's music division).  Even before that I was at uni with the inventors of ambisonics and the "soundfield" microphone (one of whom was best man at my first wedding).

In the 1980s, I recorded my wife, who was a professional singer, but very insecure - so needed constant reassurance which recordings could give her.  In the 1990s I recorded a lot of my son's concerts as he was establishing himself, and needed samplers as calling cards.  Then I recorded and engineered several CDs for him before he was invited to be recorded by the companies themselves:  Finnissy; Hopkins; Gershwin; Connolly - each of those was the product of three days in the well-known studio at St George's, Bristol, and a load of editing time using CoolEdit 2000.  There are also individual tracks I've recorded on several other CDs, including the last time Earle Brown conducted in Europe before his death.

My ambisonic recordings are largely of the choir I sing in, but there are also some of my son, and of other friends and acquaintances, and a small number done as a commercial freelance.  Some of my recordings have been used in demonstrations of the technique in talks at places like AES conferences in the US (AES = Audio Engineering Society) and at IRCAM in Paris.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Paul, you continuously prove to be one of the most interesting people I know. I always look forward to your posts.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

You should try sharing a mildly tipsy conversation with him on the streets of Oxford  :psyduck:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I always look forward to your posts.
Me too, even when he's telling me to pull my head in. :-)  Educational too, I had never heard of ambisonics until PWH posted about it.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

It occurs to me to remark that although ambisonics is not likely ever to have any end-user visibility (it had a chance in about 1980, which was comprehensively blown** mainly by the UK government body that was supposedly providing support and marketing), it does have a significant presence behind the scenes.  A number of audio processing plugins* use it internally, usually when rotation of a soundfield is required; and for this reason it is used in the innards of some gaming audio engines.

* The chief inventor of ambisonics, Michael Gerzon, also did crucial work in the design of dither and of some aspects of audio filtering, which he contributed to the linked company as a consultant.

(click to show/hide)

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Thanks to Paul's previous discussion and downloading some of his sound files, I've experimented a little with surround sound. This discussion sent me back to look for Ambisonic playback techniques using the tools at hand: A Mac laptop and an LG 5.1 home theater setup. Slow going, but VLC seems to be a starting point.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Paul, you continuously prove to be one of the most interesting people I know. I always look forward to your posts.

I don't have anything to add to this. Not only are your experiences great from my standpoint as computer science student who's also interested in sound engineering, but they're also great from a personal perspective. You're one of the most inspirational people I know.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Yesterday, FaceBook suggested a possible friend to me whose name I recognised as a Norwegian composer one of whose works I recorded at a concert in Oslo in 1986 while I was visiting Norsk Data.

I sent him a message, and today got a chatty reply and a request for the recording, as that was the only performance that the work has ever received!  It was a setting of passages from the Song of Songs, in Norwegian, for contralto accompanied by string quartet, vibraphone and bongos.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Oooh. I would quite like to hear that.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

That reminds me of probably the most interesting concert I've been to. Sønderjyllands Symfonieorkester under Dutch conductor David Porcelijn in the Marienkirche in Flensburg (it's a Danish orchestra, but they often perform in Flensburg for the Danish minority). After a few, sometimes lesser known works (Beethoven's Rondino in E♭ major (WoO 25), Strauss's Serenade in E♭ major for 13 Wind Instruments (Op.7), and Stravinsky's "Symphonies of Wind Instruments") they performed a Violin Concerto which was written for this concert by American composer Jeff (sic) Hamburg, who worked together with violinist Tobias Durholm, who performed it. To my knowledge this Violin Concerto ("The Dream of Existence") has been performed only three times to date. I was there for the first performance. It was great, and I still would love to have a recording of this Concerto, but I doubt I'll ever be able to get one.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Lines

• Awakened

It was a setting of passages from the Song of Songs, in Norwegian, for contralto accompanied by string quartet, vibraphone and bongos.

That sounds like an odd, but very intriguing mixture. If you can post it online, I'd love to hear it!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

[ambisonics account]

This was a really interesting account, which is more fascinating because I am usually not that interested in sound mechanics (unlike, say, Ankh). Thank you!

The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Speaking of which, I really need more money / better control over it. That might seem like a non sequitur, but the reason for it is that I really, really want to buy a Røde M3, and a Zoom H1, the latter being of a lesser priority. But I don't have 200€ to spare. In fact, I have about -200€ to spare. Which kinda is a problem.  :-\

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Speaking of which, after reading Paul's ambisonics website, I looked at the Zoom H2N and lusted a little for it. Which is quite irrational; I have no plans to record anyone. I do have a Tascam stereo mic attachment for the iPhone and I have used that a little. That's enough.

tragic_pizza

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Board Certified Curmudgeon

((Amazing things))

It's official: Pat is the only thing awesomer than this:
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

A little self plug, but meh:

I finished my university assignment today! It was to write the game Flappy Bird, complete with your own sounds, art, assets, etc. Since I can't draw for shit, I just picked up pen and paper and sketched away.

The final result looks better than I expected:

edit: with video too!
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2014, 17:00 by Masterpiece »

Barmymoo

• Mentat

My friend from church, who is around 40 I think and whose sons I babysit for, came over for tea this morning. I'd mentioned I was seeing someone when I last spoke to her, and she asked me about it today. I hedged round the issue for a bit and then just told her straight out "it's a woman". I've spent the last year not coming out to her, because I wasn't sure how she'd take it, and her response was "well, I've known for ages". Right. OK. Seems I'm the only person in the world without operational gaydar.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

My gaydar is pretty weak too. But hey! Someone from church knows and they don't seem to mind! That's great news :)
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

tragic_pizza

Well, I have a huge problem with church people who DO have a problem with other people's sexual orientation or gender identity.
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Most of my homosexual experiences have been with ostensibly straight guys, so fuck knows.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I find it interesting that people always mention a "gaydar", but never a "bidar".

I have a very weak gaydar, so I have gone straight to assuming everyone is bi unless stated otherwise - safes a bit of time *only half joking*

Also, I find the concept of a gaydar slightly problematic,  since to me it seems to imply that there are specific brhaviors which allow you to reliably "spot" gay people, a notion which I find slightly irksome.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

My friend from church, who is around 40 I think and whose sons I babysit for, came over for tea this morning. I'd mentioned I was seeing someone when I last spoke to her, and she asked me about it today. I hedged round the issue for a bit and then just told her straight out "it's a woman". I've spent the last year not coming out to her, because I wasn't sure how she'd take it, and her response was "well, I've known for ages". Right. OK. Seems I'm the only person in the world without operational gaydar.

To be fair, my hindsight gaydar is 20/20 too!

GarandMarine

• Awakened

This is two mornings in a row I've basically woken up with a hangover... But I haven't been drinking

Lines

• Awakened

I've had that feeling when the quality of sleep I'd gotten was really shitty. Maybe take some melatonin or something?

Well, I have a huge problem with church people who DO have a problem with other people's sexual orientation or gender identity.

Big serious high five for you. o/

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Also, I find the concept of a gaydar slightly problematic,  since to me it seems to imply that there are specific brhaviors which allow you to reliably "spot" gay people, a notion which I find slightly irksome.

I always thought that is implied that there weren't specific behaviours and you just picked up on their "gayness" regardless of external traits. Mind you, that sits well with me because I've good intuition for sexual identity and it doesn't really relate to behaviours.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Amazon Logistics (in the UK, at least) is at the lowest level of incompetent.  Today they tried to deliver my package to an obviously business address at 7pm, when the building is closed.  They are going to try again tomorrow, at the weekend, when the building will be closed.  Maybe they'll do better on Monday - but in the past they have on occasion failed to find the address at all*, even though it has its own postcode so that any GPS will guide them to the front door.  I think they use out-of-work pizza-delivery drones.  When I remember, I select any method of delivery that avoids using Amazon Logistics, but I forgot this time...

* There was an amazing time they looked for an Oxford address in Edinburgh, and then sent the goods back to the warehouse and cancelled my order.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

My new microphones arrived from India in a little under three days!

This is what I got:
(click to show/hide)

I'm now just waiting for an email with the calibration files and software to be able to use it properly.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Also from your ambisonics page, I had glanced at the Brahma site. Enjoy!

tragic_pizza

Big serious high five for you. o/
\o
Thanks!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

All my other church friends knew - my closest friend is one of the priests and she's known pretty much since we met. It was just because I was babysitting their kids that I didn't tell this friend sooner; I knew it wasn't in the slightest bit relevant to my ability to take care of their children but I always worry that my sexuality might affect people's view of me professionally.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Has it in the past?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Nope. It's mainly irrational, but the fact is that for many people homophobia is a very real and painful experience. I guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Got breathing troubles on Thursday. Went to the ER, they made an x-ray, saw that my right lung had detached from the chest cavity. So they stuck a suction tube into my chest for 32 hours, did another x-ray, and sent me home on Saturday, all patched up.

The best thing is, I'm not even a citizen in this country. They only needed my health insurance card and that was it. So allow me to say: Fuck yeah, European healthcare!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I, uh, I didn't know that lungs could do that. I am very glad they've fixed it!

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Dude, that sounds like a helluva weekend :o hope you're feeling well now and congratulations on surviving Skåne University Hospital :P
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Thanks... is that surprising? I think they did a good job. Fortunately it was not very stressful as I knew exactly what the condition was about and how it's treated. It's happened before, just not so bad that it required treatment. I was surprised I walked out of that hospital feeling 99% okay, my lung was already back to normal the day before and it was really the chest tube that caused the most discomfort. Turns out, there are not many muscles that don't exert force on your ribs when you're trying to move. I could hardly lift my arm or sit upright without it hurting like hell. But once that was out I was totally fine. Back to work tomorrow!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

((Amazing things))

It's official: Pat is the only thing awesomer than this:

wait, what have I ever done? hodgy is Paul :P
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lines

• Awakened

Hey you were on that Baltic Idol show thing once. That was really interesting to read about. That was a thing you did.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Would it be excessively grouchy to point out what is missing from that Star Wars picture?
(click to show/hide)

Edit: I just noticed this was my four thousandth posting on the forum.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2014, 02:42 by Akima »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I think it's because the original picture was cut off in the one posted.

That picture, by the way, is probably older than some posters on here.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

tragic_pizza

Nope. It's mainly irrational, but the fact is that for many people homophobia is a very real and painful experience. I guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
There is nothing irrational about protecting yourself.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I think it's because the original picture was cut off in the one posted.

Yea, but you could still have fit Leia on it quite easily.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

After triathlon, then getting sick, then going straight back to working until midnight again, this past weekend was exactly what I needed.  Some down time playing Crusader Kings 2, an 8km hike on Saturday, a nap on Sunday afternoon, then curling up with a murder mystery in front of the window and watching the neighbourhood fade to electric lighting while the mystery unfolded, with music playing in the background.

Just.  Just exactly what I needed I think.  sigh.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

^ I AM SO FUCKING HARD RIGHT NOW
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Amazon Logistics (in the UK, at least) is at the lowest level of incompetent.  Today they tried to deliver my package to an obviously business address at 7pm, when the building is closed.

That package was delivered yesterday; today they have just emailed to say that this morning when the building was open they failed to deliver another package.  They truly are unbelievably incompetent!

I just checked their tracking; this time they attempted to deliver before 8am, which is when the office opens.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 98   Go Up