THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 09:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 568905 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Most shipping companies in the U.S. don't deliver to RESIDENCES outside of normal business hours, nevermind to actual businesses.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

The German postal services is belligerently incompetent. They refuse to deliver packages to our flat and then forget to give us the failed delivery slip. When calling their hotline, it takes hours to connect with someone.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

The German postal services is belligerently incompetent. They refuse to deliver packages to our flat and then forget to give us the failed delivery slip. When calling their hotline, it takes hours to connect with someone.

I use their service where they'll deliver a package into something like a big shared post box, which you can then unlock using a card and a mobile PIN. I love it when they just redirect my packages into  a different post box than I specified. Once it was just great. I had two shipments arrive on the same day. The first one, the small one, was delivered to the post office instead, which has really bad business hours, and the second one was delivered to a different shared post box in the other end of the city. And I really mean the other end. That was an hour by train away. Thank you, DHL. You're doing a terrific job.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

See! That's what I mean!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

A fried of mine always has trouble with the post.
He once had a package delivered to such a shared box. Upon arriving there, he realized it was literally fenced in because of some building project. So he couldn't pick it up.
Then, of course, they started sending him messages along the lines of "Hey, you still haven't picked up your package! Make sure you do, otherwise it will go back to the sender!"...
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

yeah, the people who fill these boxes don't give any fucks. None at all. I remember somebody who had a package redirected to a new box. And I mean really new. As in, the concrete in front of it hadn't dried yet, and there were fucking footprints of the guy who filled the box in it.  :psyduck:

But I still use this service, as I'm never at home, and neither are my landlords, so I always have to pick up the packages at the post office. And when you have a day/night schedule like I have, 9 am to 12:30 pm and 2 pm to 6 pm aren't really great times to go to the post office, as it's 20 minutes by bike away from the university. When I'm cycling fast.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I applied for a job as a student ambassador at my university and the closing date was July 8th. I am now antsy to hear back from them - I can't see any reason why I wouldn't be called for interview, because I am perfect for this job (I have lots of relevant experience, I am already taking an active part in collaborating with academic staff to improve the student experience, and I write a damn good application form) but the one thing I'm worried about is that there's this weird process where you have to fill out a ridiculously lengthy spreadsheet to "register" with the Uni Jobs website, which I only found out about after I had sent off my "expression of interest". According to the website, you need to register before you can apply, but the email inviting applications said nothing about registration and although I've started, I'm maybe about half way through the spreadsheet and it's already taken me several hours. I have to grade myself on various skills and then provide evidence of them, and there are hundreds of the damn things. I'm running out of unique examples of my teamwork skills, ability to respond to changing situations, creative problem-solving, critical thinking skills, etc.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Once I had a problem with my bike in Amsterdam that was occasionally noticable but never bothersome, until one day it just got too bad and broke down. So I took it to the repair shop and they made a simple fix, and I was on my way again. But very soon afterwards the same problem started occurring again, but since I just got from the repair shop I really didn't want to go back there, as even more repairs would be lengthy and expensive so I just took the inconvenience of using a slightly broken bike over the inconvenience of fixing it.

Now I'm basically facing the same question again, only instead of my bike it's my body that's gone back to being defective just after being discharged from the hospital. So I can wait and see if it heals by itself or go back to the hospital for further treatment. I really hope it can be the former, this sucks.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Loki

• comeback tour!

LTK, your body is arguably worth more than a bike, and iirc you are in a country where you have insurance, right?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

If the hospital discharged you it's because they thought the issue was resolved. If it's not resolved, go back until they tell you that they can't resolve it ever.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

LTK, your body is arguably worth more than a bike, and iirc you are in a country where you have insurance, right?
I am well aware. I mentioned insurance, yes, so money isn't an issue, but the inconvenience of prolonged medical treatment is like a hundred times that of having my bike fixed. So it's still kind of the same!

The doctor did mention a way to fix it permanently, if it happened again in two weeks or a month. I didn't expect it to be necessary three days later.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I'm being greeted by random people at university who I've never met before.

Why

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

I'll paraphrase Gareth and suggest it's because you're dreamy  :mrgreen:
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Now I'm basically facing the same question again, only instead of my bike it's my body that's gone back to being defective just after being discharged from the hospital. So I can wait and see if it heals by itself or go back to the hospital for further treatment. I really hope it can be the former, this sucks.

If what happened to you was a second episode of a primary spontaneous pneumothorax then you should probably get some sort of pleurodesis anyway when it's feasible to prevent another episode.

If you're experiencing the same (or similar) symptoms now as you did when you had to get a chest-tube then it doesn't actually hurt to just call and ask whether or not they'd like you to come in, how long you should give it, what you should be on the lookout for and maybe if they can't just plan to give you whatever treatment it was they'd been considering. It's not unusual to feel discomfort after a pneumothorax and getting a chest-tube, but there's a fair chance of it happening again (provided I'm thinking of the correct diagnosis, and, if I'm not, call anyway).
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Yeah I sent them an e-mail and a doctor replied saying I should come back for an x-ray if it hasn't gone away after the weekend. It's not as bad as it was before, so I'm fine with waiting.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

It's so amazing to have a resident doctor on the forum.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I was confused because I thought that was a response to the random-greetings thing.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I must admit that until now, the fact that Aimless is a doctor totally escaped my notice.

Aimless

Stop smoking and eat an apple or I'm coming for you :x :)

I work in the shadows and am usually careful to avoid doctoring online for various reasons, not least of which is wanting to keep my professional and online lives separate, but I've had so few patients this week that I've been looking around for things to meddle in. For the most part you may pretend that I am not a doctor because my response will almost always be, "Have you seen your GP about this?" which is the medical equivalent of, "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I was confused because I thought that was a response to the random-greetings thing.

I must confess, to my shame, that I was going to reply to his post with, "Have you seen your GP about this?" :( But perhaps it's because you're looking especially happy and friendly and welcoming and fresh today MP :)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Do I have to eat an apple too? I'm fructose intolerant  :cry:

Barmymoo

• Mentat

When people used to ask me for legal advice, I would say "in my opinion as someone with a law degree, you should... go ask a real lawyer". Now if people ask me for pregnancy advice, assuming they are just my friends and not my mentor's caseload women, I say "ask your midwife". It's like taxis. If you don't prebook, you're not insured.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

See, when you study computer sciences, saying that is considered an insult!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I really have no idea what you are talking about.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

If you're considered by family or friends to be a "computer expert" they'll ask you for help with their computers, and some people will get angry if you say no. At least that's what I think he was saying.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

what cesium said.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

But it all evens out, see, because someone who's an expert at fixing computers will likely be equally clueless as to what's wrong with your friend's/mom's/dog's computer as the guy they know who studies computer science.

Though it's just as unadvisable to have someone who thinks they know what they're doing muck around with your computer as with your body or legal matters. I was in a study group once with a girl whose laptop couldn't get wireless internet because at one time her 'friend who knows about computers' uninstalled a bunch of stuff, including the driver for the wireless modem.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2014, 11:39 by LTK »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

So a doctor rings a plumber in the middle of the night. "You've got to come over here right now! The toilet is overflowing and flooding my house!", he says.

The plumber is not pleased to be woken. "No", he says. "You woke me up. Your toilet would have been broken all day, they don't just spontaneously burst. I'm not coming."

"Please!" says the doctor. "What would you expect me to do if you'd rung me with an emergency?"

The plumber thinks for a few seconds, then replies "Okay, put two aspirin down it and call me in the morning."
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!

But it all evens out, see, because someone who's an expert at fixing computers will likely be equally clueless as to what's wrong with your friend's/mom's/dog's computer as the guy they know who studies computer science.

As a theory-focused CS student, I resent the implication I know how to deal with whatever piece of silicium and plastic is chosen to implement a Turing machine :mrgreen:

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

It's like taxis. If you don't prebook, you're not insured.

Meanwhile, I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Aimless

I don't mind offering some advice when necessary and appropriate to family, friends, colleagues and sometimes even random people who happen to be nearby (if they ask) but the internet is different! It's basically my little hidey-hole and also I can't use my eyes, ears and hands, nor can I conduct a proper medical interview, so it's just worse all 'round.

Being family tech-support is a great and heavy responsibility :( sometimes I frickin' hate computers

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

There was a public sector strike in the UK yesterday so, as a non union member and relatively new employee I was having a quiet day in the office. That was until I got a call on my phone around 16.30.

"I'm in A&E"

It was my wife. My heart sank. In a fraction of a second, all manner of horrors flashed before me. As cyclists, it's always that worry that pervades. Calls during rush hour, the commute taking longer than usual, the run of sirens in the distance. A&E means a Rider Down situation and that's never good.

As my wife tells me that she's been there all day I remember that she was driving today. She went to the GP this morning to see about The Pill which needed changing and to talk about some worrying symptoms which she thought was indicative of a blood clot. Since about 9am they've been slowly working their way through tests and while they think she might be right, they haven't been able to find anything.

I call out of work early and rush on over. After the horrors of navigating my way round of all of Sheffield's Northern General Hospital I manage to track her down to the CDU, Clinical Decisions Unit. I find her tucked into the corner of a waiting area looking tired and pale. She hasn't had to do a lot but lots of waiting around not knowing what's going on over medical matters is a pretty draining affair. We talk a bit about what's happening to her and I'm issued to the vending machine for more eats (once I've determined they aren't planning anything requiring nil by mouth) as she hasn't had anything in a while.

Due to the absence of bike racks I've locked to the underside of a handy fire escape. Not in the way but undesirable enough to warrant  going back out to find something better. When I return my wife has been taken somewhere else so I'm left to sit nervously in the waiting area for something to happen. 20 horrible minutes later I'm summoned into a treatment bay.

The diagnosis is in, it's blood clots. On the lungs. She's been given a jab of Warfarin in the stomach and told she needs to be kept in overnight. We sit there and she's scared so I don't get to be. That's the kind of relationship we have, if one of us is loosing it, it's down to the other one to hold it together and keep the show running. As the compartmentaliser, that's mostly my job. As it sinks in, we work out that I need to go home and pick up the essential overnight stuff. Clothes, laptop, phones, knitting, entertainment. I'll need to take the car as well.

It's my wife's company car. I'm not insured to drive it*. I can't have an accident in it, even one that isn't my fault. Adding another level of stress that I could happily do without. About the time I'm pulling away it begins to properly hit me. Blood clots, bad enough on the lungs but if one of them starts to move and it could be a stroke, a heart attack, something fatal. But I can't react now because I've got things to do and I need to do it very carefully. I do that switching off thing, shut out all the reasons, rationalise everything to the nth degree and just focus on the simple mechanical things you're doing.

Back at the hospital and it's outside of visiting hours. Fortunately the ward staff have seen enough partners and family of patients. Give them some latitude and patient is easier to treat as well. We talk, my wife is feeling well enough, pleased to have her own things and some non-hospital food. She missed dinner while being treated and has only managed to get some toast out of the hospital staff. I suspect individual kindness over a special from the kitchen. I get some looks from the staff and it's clear it's time to go. Time to leave my wife in unfamiliar surroundings with a potentially lifethreatening condition.

Back in the car and I can feel myself wavering. Switch off again, you've got to get home. Close to home I realise I'm hungry. I haven't eaten since lunchtime and I'm in no mood to cook now. I pull up outside the local Chinese takeaway. I can't get out of the car. I know that if I walk into the takeaway I won't be able to decide what to order and I'm pretty sure that means I'm going to cry. I carry on home and cry over cooking beans on toast instead. I've never felt more pathetic and useless in my life. I tried to write last night but couldn't. If I run through that panic, switch off cycle a couple of time then I have to pay for it. A mental collapse of sorts with next to no sleep. Made worse because the one person I really need is not too far away but completely unreachable.

This morning bought better news, no issues overnight, free to go home. Moved onto an oral Warfarin subsitute and instructed to do nothing strenuous for the next three weeks. Apparently even walking into town is off the list. Tough medicine for a very active person but doable.

*Yes, I know, it wasn't legal. I didn't do it lightly, this met my criteria for exceptional circumstances.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Shit, that's a terrible thing to happen to you both. Way too many hospital-related events in this thread. You seem to have handled it pretty well though. Glad to see that your wife is going to be okay.

Aimless

:(

I hope you two're doing all right under the circumstances... :(

For what it's worth, clots that go to the lungs tend to go no further than the lungs, because the lungs act as a net that's basically impenetrable to clots. In a few very rare occasions, with some people who have a small hole between two parts of their heart (from birth), clots can skip the lungs and go to the brain, but that's basically an episode of House MD.

Some people have a higher risk of getting blood clots because of an underlying difference in how their blood works. Sometimes you can get clues about such underlying factors from previous diseases, family history of clots, previous miscarriages and sometimes you can find clues in specific lab-tests. Have you heard from your doctors about what they suspect caused the clot, putting aside the issue of the pill?

My thoughts are with you two. My mum was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism early this year, way way late because they misjudged her symptoms and I couldn't force her doctors to do perform the right investigations. It came from a DVT, a clot in a deep vein in one of her legs, and it'd caused her to become very easily winded and feel very poorly. In her case they decided to go with a six month course of Warfarin rather than the more modern alternatives, but it went all right in the end. Recovering from something like this takes a while and it may be especially frustrating to an active person who'll hate feeling the effect clots can have on their lungs. But it gets better with treatment, time and training. Best of luck to you both.

And, even if you have to keep it together at home... you don't have to here.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Sending good thoughts to you and yours... When I get back to my alter I'll definitely offer sacrifice and prayer
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

TSK, I'm so glad that the hospital disagnosed the problem and set about treating it quickly. Sounds like your wife has a great supportive partner to help her through this - I'll pray for both of you, and for what it's worth I'd have absolutely driven the car illegally in that situation too. And I reckon most police officers would have let you off if they'd pulled you over too. But I'm glad you didn't have to test the theory.

It's like taxis. If you don't prebook, you're not insured.

Meanwhile, I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

In the UK, there are taxis that pull up on the street and you can hail them like people do in films. There are also taxis that you have to phone up for and book - with those ones, their insurance only covers pre-booked rides so if you get one to stop and pick you up then it's a) illegal and b) stupid because of the lack of insurance.

The analogy was that if you're not on my caseload (we're pretending I'm actually a qualified midwife here) then I'm not insured in respect of the advice I give to you, so if something goes wrong then you'll be shit out of luck for getting any compensation and I'll be fired.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

This morning bought better news, no issues overnight, free to go home. Moved onto an oral Warfarin subsitute and instructed to do nothing strenuous for the next three weeks. Apparently even walking into town is off the list. Tough medicine for a very active person but doable.
My sympathies and thoughts are with you and your wife, and I'm glad she's getting treatment and can come home.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Hugs, TSK.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

TSK, amigo, I'm really sorry to hear you guys are going through such stressful, scary shit. I don't envy you your situation. I'll be thinking of y'all.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Thanks to all for the kind words.

We're beyond the immediate panic stage and into the cautious monitoring and managing the treatment stage. Far less stressful and a couple of days ago. Still discussing what constitutes taking it easy.

Have you heard from your doctors about what they suspect caused the clot, putting aside the issue of the pill?

They're not really looking at it. There's no medical history that would suggest anything more likely than the pill. There's a few previous injuries and a long standing risk of asbestosis but nothing that significant. In terms of age she's at a transitional point where the previous contraceptive drugs need to be exchanged for Oestrogen only due to a shift in the balance of risks.

There's been a decline in performance recently which is symptomatic of the development of clots. Interestingly though, until the diagnosis, Andy never stopped pushing against this. However, now there's a reason for it and any strenuous activity being proscribed, all the weakness has come to the fore. Obviously taking blood thinning drugs is going to have an effect but it follows the old cycling adage, it's not the riding that kills you, it's the stopping.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Uh, so I kinda ODed on caffeine a little. I often mix a bit of kola nut and guaraná powder into my cocoa, and I took a little bit more today. I had the glorious idea to calculate the amount of caffeine after drinking it. Turns out that I took two teaspoons each, with 5 grams of powder on each teaspoon. So 10 grams of kola nut and 10 grams of guaraná. My calculator tells me that that should be around 900mg of caffeine, depending on the strength of the powders.

I'm just glad that the caffeine is buffered in these powders, so it's not all active at once. I feel fine actually.

I definitely need to be more careful with these powders.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So... About 10 grande lattes, or about three-fourths of a case of Mountain Dew (sans HFCS).

Yeah, I'd say you're wired.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

If you are interested in strong coffee, check here.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Aimless

I definitely need to be more careful with these powders.

If you want to have even the slightest hope of getting a normal sleep-cycle that isn't wholly dependent on pharmaceutical assistance, yes, yes I think you do need to cut own on those things  :psyduck:

Barmymoo

• Mentat

You're bordering on toxic levels of caffeine there. Caffeine overdose can also produce symptoms similar to depression and anxiety and causes panic attacks. The maximum level considered safe is about 500mg.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Yeah, I definitely know this. I expected to feel a lot worse right now. Doesn't mean I'm going to do this mistake again of course. I'll admit, I never really calculated the amount of caffeine in these powders, and as I didn't notice anything with them before I put a bit more into my cocoa. That's the big advantage and the big problem with those natural caffeine sources. As the caffeine is buffered in them you don't notice the caffeine so strongly and are inclined to take more. On the other hand that is what saves me from completely freaking out right now. The full 900mg are not all active at the same time.

My sleep schedule has become a lot better over the last week though.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

How does it save you from freaking out? I'm intrigued because caffeine seriously messes me up, it causes me to feel anxious, panicky and stressed and just one cup of coffee can ruin an entire day for me.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

In coffee and in caffeine pills the caffeine is pure, and not bound to anything, so it goes into the bloodstream immediately. In kola nut and in guaraná (like in Tea) the caffeine is bound by tannins (I hope this is the right word, it's more specific than the German term which is used to describe these) so the caffeine has to be freed before it can go into the blood stream, which results in a much softer and longer effect of the caffeine.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

But how does it stop you freaking out?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Ah, I think you misunderstood what I meant up there. I meant that I would freak out from this amount of caffeine, if it wasn't for this buffered effect.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Oh right that makes sense. I had misunderstood.

You said that this was "a bit more" than you'd usually have. How much more? If you're regularly consuming more than 500mg of caffeine a day you're really putting your health at risk.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 98   Go Up