THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 May 2024, 17:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 572245 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

The move is finished. It was one hell of a ride. My room is full of boxes (I mean literally full. I was lucky to have made enough space to sleep on the bed and close the door. Tomorrow I'll reassemble some of my shelves, so I can actually put the stuff where it's supposed to stay.

I also had a strange, somewhat nostalgic thought. This is the first time these sheets and this blanket and cushion touch again in over a year. I had brought the blanket and cushion with me, but left the bed at home. Now that I've brought my furniture here with me, and brought the stuff from my old room, those things are reunited. With that thought I'll go to bed now.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I'm baffled by there even being a quit without saving function.
Common enough on *nix, where the OS expects the operator to know what they're doing.  If I type rm -rf / into a root console, I *expect* the bloody thing to start deleting everything without warning, since I did tell it to do it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

I went on something of a date this afternoon with a lovely French girl who is here working as an au pair. I am optimistic, since I am even more full of questions about her than when we started. I think that's the best way to gauge whether someone is worth pursuing, although I certainly felt a good bit of chemistry too, which is anything but a bad thing. I'm going to enjoy my time with her.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Be careful though, aupairances can deceive (can being the aupairational word)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Lines

• Awakened

I leave tomorrow to go to a conference for work with 3 coworkers: 1 that is a bff, 1 that is pretty fun to be around, and the one person I hate most at work. I cannot stand this woman, I think she's atrocious, and she's one of those people I continually ask myself as to why she has a job. And I have to spend 3.5 days with her, sometimes in a confined space.

I am really glad my friend is coming along. I think we'll help keep each other sane, considering she hates that woman as well.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Rather than vote for the shitbag incumbent sole candidate for mayor, I wrote in Adolf Hitler and voted for him instead. They're both racists and xenophobes, but at least Hitler supported aerospace tech development and surface transportation infrastructure.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

And Hitler at least got a DD rather than drive drunk, which is more than I can say for that prick in city hall

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Rather than vote for the shitbag incumbent sole candidate for mayor, I wrote in Adolf Hitler and voted for him instead. They're both racists and xenophobes, but at least Hitler supported aerospace tech development and surface transportation infrastructure.
Ha!  That's one of the things that almost made me *not* vote today (not a shitty mayor), but the whole California "top-two" primary system.  I can't even write in a protest vote when I don't want to vote (which is nearly always) for a (R)eprobate or (D)umbass for partisan offices.  The only way to register dissatisfaction now is to stay the fuck home and be considered "apathetic".
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Yeah, I didn't bother voting today. Oklahoma is one of those states where the result is predetermined, so why bother?

edit -- I've been watching TV, seeing constant campaign ads, and wondering why there are campaign ads after polls are closed. Then I remembered I'm watching a recording on my DVR.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Ha!  That's one of the things that almost made me *not* vote today (not a shitty mayor), but the whole California "top-two" primary system.  I can't even write in a protest vote when I don't want to vote (which is nearly always) for a (R)eprobate or (D)umbass for partisan offices.  The only way to register dissatisfaction now is to stay the fuck home and be considered "apathetic".

Orrrrrrr vote for a third party and at least make your dissatisfaction with the current system heard.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Can't any more.  Only the top-two candidates in the primary are allowed into the GE.  No third-parties, no write-ins.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

...what.

Well. California.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Can't any more.  Only the top-two candidates in the primary are allowed into the GE.  No third-parties, no write-ins.
Same here in Oklahoma. Third party candidates and write-ins aren't allowed.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

...what.

Well. California.
I think that when the percentage of the state choosing to be non-partisan or "decline to state" the major parties started pissing themselves a bit, and got the idiot voters to pass that stupid law.  Can't let us plebs have a true choice, after all, especially when the people have essentially become fed-up with them.  Honestly, I think it's high time to scrap the primary system altogether, and make the parties choose their candidates at their own expense (ought to save the taxpayer a bit of money that could be better spent elsewhere).

Only the candidates anointed by those already in power are permissible.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

I already hate the US's 2 party monopoly.  This is just fuel to that fire.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I got hired today as a seasonal employee at Macy's. On the one hand, thank goodness. Unemployment ran out last week. It should be enough to cover rent for Dec, and maaaybe Jan, though we will have to continue charging our other expenses. On the other hand, it is literally the job I had before I came to grad school, but for slightly less money.  I keep telling myself I'm playing the long game and it will be worth it. I hope I'm right.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Lines

• Awakened

Keep on keeping on, Kat, and hopefully soon you'll be able to find something you want and makes you happy. That pays the big bucks. And gives you a sparkle pony. (Because why not.)

I think I found a dream job... Not that it's hiring. Or even remotely near where I live. (It's in D.C.) But it's a school attached to the Smithsonian and young children routinely visit all of the museums and I want to be a part of something like that...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I'm at the hospital with a sick baby... Not super sick, but apparently before they get their 2-month vaccines, any fever without an obvious source gets taken seriously. We're spending two nights here for observation/test cultures, hopefully going home tomorrow. It wouldn't be terrible except that, one, he has monitors on so holding and nursing him is awkward, and two, I'm sick with a sore throat and snuffles.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Good luck. Your own kids being sick is the worst.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Hope your both better really soon.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I am at the conference Ankh's Fachschaft is organizing.
He looks really spiffy in his "staff" shirt :3
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Strep throat, staph infection, cooped up in my bedroom, can't work (I'd freak out all the customers by wearing a protective mask to work), can't play, can't have fun, can't can't can't can't JESUS FUCK I HOPE I AM NEVER BEDRIDDEN AGAIN PLEASE JUST FUCKING SHOOT ME

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

Strep is so bad.  :(

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Part of my office job is sending part of the day earnings to partner branches for their cash machines and whatever doesn't get sent is the bank lodgement. Other branches can only accept 10s and 20s, no change or other notes. The other day the money added up so there was only a bank lodgement of Ł5(ish). It was so weirdly satisfying.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Modern American Warrior culture is no longer an institutionalized presence in our military. The SOF community and elite regular formations like the Marine Corps and the 82nd Airborne do their best to keep our culture as warriors and of honor alive, but in the face of command incompetence and mismanagement, along with a sea change towards the garrison, that culture is slowly being chipped away and covered over in favor of politically pleasing buzz words, as combat experienced officers, NCOs and joes are pushed out to make way for politically acceptable garrisson soldiers with polished boots and clean service records.

Under all the dog shit piled on American warrior culture by incompetent yes men, cowards and generals more concerned by seven figure jobs after retirement then giving their soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen the tools and leadership they need to be victorious. It lives on, in the grunt still pulling long patrols in the desert, the NCO getting in the dirt with his men to ensure they're the best they can be, they maintenance crews pulling 18 hour days to keep birds in the air to support the men in the fight. That's what a warrior is. You can kill him, but you cannot break him, even when the forces that seek to destroy him come from within.

Men of iron and steel. America's warriors remain. I am proud to have stood next to them, laughed with them and celebrated, cries and mourned that which we have left behind... and when some of them moved on and I remained, I buried them with pride at having known them, singing their death song in my heart to any god that would listen, grateful that such men had existed, and that when the call came they answered with clear hearts.

It was us, weeping alone in dark rooms, lonely bars and at gravesides where we would not be seen, longing for the brothers and sisters that are gone from us, before looking forward and taking the weight, carrying their memories with us. As we remain it is our duty and honor to remember them, when all others forget, and to live well for them, that we might join them with our heads held high and our honor intact when we return to be amongst them once again. Until then our place is here, fighting. Twenty two casualties a day is more then enough proof that the war didn't end when our comrades came home. When we were let out into civilian life once again. We must continue to struggle and fight, even if we never raise another weapon the war for the lives of it brothers and sisters is now.

That is America's warrior culture. We who remain. Honor and our duty and loyalty to each other are what we have left... May we keep those ideals close to heart, on active service or back here in the world.

S/F

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

One of my coworkers is being super duper needy right now because her 25 year old ass got engaged to an 18 year old about a year ago and she is shocked, SHOCKED to discover that there are 18 year olds who don't know what they want.

Like, this girl is the kind of needy who shows up to our work to hang out there for my whole shift because she can't handle being alone, and has a million excuses to not find something else to do or someone else to lean her entire emotional weight on.

I'm starting to think I behave too nicely sometimes.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I'm also pretty sure it's not the 18 year old not knowing what she wants that is the issue

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Update. My voice has returned. So has a mayor cough, headaches, shivers and fever-like symptoms. When I stand up, I feel nauseous.

I think I'm getting a flu. I hate this.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

It's Ebola you're gonna die

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Give over lad, nobody died from a touch of the Ebola

Loki

• comeback tour!

my sleeping schedule is fubar. It's 3 am and I have to get up at 6:30 am
not really tired

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

heh.

heheheheheh.

I wanted to get up at 9am. I slept around 6 hours until then. I decided to sleep some more. I woke up again at 3 pm. I didn't leave bed until 6 pm. I still haven't really left my room. I need to go to bed again. I'm not yet tired.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

Headache treatment of tylenol, advil, robaxacet, flonase, and heatpacks seems to be helping, but now my stomach is in rough shape.  I can't win.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

The BBC made a radio doc about what's happening at my school after the fire. It's a pretty emotional piece, making me miss Glasgow and all my friends who are still there, they sound so good on the radio! Listen to it here if you're interested.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It's not even summer yet, but today temperatures hit 45C (113F) in Sydney.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Which makes me think that at some point Sydney's closest anti-polar habitation must hit a negative equal temperature.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Well, Anchorage isn't doing too bad.

Buffalo, OTOH...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I just quit Troubador. As a band we have never ever been disciplined enough to meet the standards I used to hold myself to. I used to practice hours a day. Nowadays I'm lucky if I feel like it for even 10 minutes.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

:( hugs.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

As an update to the job search... I heard back from another of the places I interviewed with. They say I don't have the particular background they're looking for at the moment, but they may have another position opening up in January that I'd be "an excellent candidate" for, if I'm still looking for a position in January. And at the rate things are going, I probably will be.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I've been riding my bike next to a place called "The Burger House" for the past three months and kept wondering if it was any good. Then they opened another place opposite of the mathematics faculty building and got intrigued. Turns out they are a four restaurant franchise and supposedly really good. I really wanted to try out the place but at the same time just thought "how great can a burger be?".

Oh my god that thing was so delicious, juicy, TASTY, it was the best burger I ever had. And the thing doesn't even look that good, the buns have imperfections and have that shine on them that just says "I'M FATTY", but one bite and you forget all that. Seriously. Orgasms in my mouth.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

If you put it like that I certainly will not go there.

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Honestly, I've been there two times, and everytime I took I bite I couldn't believe how delicious it was.

Loki

• comeback tour!

I think BeoPuppy meant the whole "orgasms in mouth" thing.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Sh, you'll break the spell!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

I dunno Pat I'm almost inclined to congratulate you, because honestly I think your life will be better without them. Best of luck anyway
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I caused some serious discontent today. The head instructor is NOT pleased with me at all, but fuck him. I'm not here to make him happy and I'm paying his salary so he can get bent. I did not get what I wanted though, which was extra credit. I actually got better, I get to redo one of my major projects over this week and the next.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 98   Go Up