THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 00:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

End of the week: How will he get to the wedding?

Planes.
- 1 (2.7%)
So who's taking him down to the airport, just to fly back up to Burlington? #FAIL
- 2 (5.4%)
Trains.
- 1 (2.7%)
The station is a bit out of the way (Amtrak line is up in Amherst).
- 1 (2.7%)
Automobiles.
- 4 (10.8%)
But *whose* automobile? Marigold? Steve? EMILY? CLAIRE??????
- 14 (37.8%)
Hitchiking? Walking?
- 0 (0%)
Uhm, no. Skinny indie boy legs won't get him out of NoHam.
- 0 (0%)
Spaceship? Stealth blimp?
- 1 (2.7%)
Hannelore's sick, remember?
- 0 (0%)
Bus?
- 1 (2.7%)
Like he would last on a Greyhound.
- 3 (8.1%)
Bike?
- 2 (5.4%)
Harley's aren't his style.
- 1 (2.7%)
AnthroPC?
- 0 (0%)
Okay, now you're just getting silly.
- 6 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2372-2376 (28 January - 1 February 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 126619 times)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

How much do you want to bet Marten will try to rent a car only to realize he has no credit card?

XSin

• Not quite a lurker

muhahahaha, the plot progresses towards my hearts secret desire, Marten-Hannelore shipping! xD

Seriously tho, it would be pretty strange to take Claire, he really doesn't know her that well. If I was him I'd be worried about giving the wrong idea.

Unless he's into her in which case why not :)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I'm getting so tired of people dancing around the whole shipping rule by talking about shipping instead. It's like the forum equivalent of a six-year-old yelling I'm not touching you!!

/rant
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Crap!  I just realized Dora will not be a flower girl!

EDIT:  And I think they're getting married in the same place they celebrated their engagement.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1517

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

She'll just have a spontaneous flower girl interlude at CoD.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...the only place in northern Vermont anyone would conceivably fly to would be Burlington... which is a good three hours from Northampton.

Then again, the airport's most of an hour... and all the flights I can find from Hartford to Burlington go through Philadelphia or DC.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

LantisEscudo

• Not quite a lurker

EDIT:  And I think they're getting married in the same place they celebrated their engagement.

Stowe's a little bit farther than 90 minutes from Northampton, closer to 2.5 hours, even doing 75 the whole way.  90 minutes would realistically only get you to the mid-part of the state, going straight up Interstate 91.

Dora's probably underestimating the trip a bit, or they're getting married a little farther south (or she might have a lead foot).  Killington, Mount Snow, and Stratton Mountain are all within range, and they're all gorgeous places.  And there's a ton of other non-ski places in that area, too.

EDIT: (fixed a typo)

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

Having moved east from California myself, I can sympathize a little.

But only a little. I mean, c'mon Marten, you live in a world where Artificial Intelligence has literally transformed robots into living beings, and yet you can't even look up the address of the wedding on the internets?

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

How much do you want to bet Marten will try to rent a car only to realize he has no credit card?

We've only ever seen Tai and Raven actually drive or own a car, right?

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Dora has a car.

percivaltercy

• Not quite a lurker

MUSKRAT! MUSKRAT! MUSKRAT! MUSKRAT!!!!!!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Angus drove up Faye, Marten, Momo, and Marigold up to Emily's lakehouse.

Faye mentions Steve and Cosette pulling up

westrim

But only a little. I mean, c'mon Marten, you live in a world where Artificial Intelligence has literally transformed robots into living beings, and yet you can't even look up the address of the wedding on the internets?
Being in California, I wonder sometimes how badly it affects us that some federal employees on the East Coast likely don't grasp that some of our counties are bigger than some of their states, never mind an actual state to state comparison. Transportation cost calculations, for instance.

Why should they rent a Volvo? Do they come with a moose back guarantee?

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Dora has a car.
Also Marigold. (new Momo chassis arc)

Personally, I'm just looking forward to Marten's embarassing speech.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I once saw a loose moose vamoose. But not in Vermont.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

westrim

Did it use a goose as a ruse to board a caboose?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

OT: Loki, have you changed your avatar recently? Come back from a fairly long absence? I don't seem to remember you posting much until recently, but you've been around since long before I was.

Both. I used to have Seraph from Matrix as the avatar, then no avatar at all and have only been using this one for a few days. And I  haven't posted in a long time.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

And as a transsexual, Claire would probably mesh well with the likely crowd make-up of Henry Reed's wedding.
With some, yes, but if it's like reality, there's a good to excellent chance that some gays present will be intensely transphobic.

Think werewolves vs vampires if you want an analogy.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new people!

Please err on the side of caution when speculating about character relationships. Be grateful you were spared the history which led to the no-shipping rule. At one point the survival of the forum was threatened, and I am not exaggerating. And that was over a mention of a relationship that one of the characters involved actually wanted!

The safe kind of speculation is grounded on what actually happens in the strip.

Your common sense and experience on other forums will stand you in good stead here but the shipping rule, and its importance, are not what most people would anticipate.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

Being in California, I wonder sometimes how badly it affects us that some federal employees on the East Coast likely don't grasp that some of our counties are bigger than some of their states, never mind an actual state to state comparison. Transportation cost calculations, for instance.

Why should they rent a Volvo? Do they come with a moose back guarantee?

SB County 4 liff.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2013, 01:25 by cpflux »

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

I want to see Marty and Hannelore drive to the wedding in an AI-car-chassi into which Momo is uploaded.
Then they continue throughout the lands, solving mysteries.

westrim

I want to see Marty and Hannelore drive to the wedding in an AI-car-chassi into which Momo is uploaded.
Is Hannelore anything like Datalore?

VonKleist

Haha, that´s Data's evil brother, right?

Naw, I had more like bookish, smart-without-being-a-knowitall in mind :)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

We need the fourth member of that cast.
(click to show/hide)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

(click to show/hide)
Storyline character: "Wait. Yelling Bird was pretending to be Randy ALL ALONG?"
Yelling Bird: "AND I WOULD HAVE ****ING GOT AWAY WITH IT TOO, IF IT WEREN'T FOR THOSE ****-****ING KIDS AND THAT ****ING ****-**** DOG!"

Randy (cameo appearance): "He failed! I will succeed! I'm Randy! I'm eternal!" *fades to black*
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

And as a transsexual, Claire would probably mesh well with the likely crowd make-up of Henry Reed's wedding.
With some, yes, but if it's like reality, there's a good to excellent chance that some gays present will be intensely transphobic.

Think werewolves vs vampires if you want an analogy.
That… is the first time I've heard it expressed like that… yet it makes everything so clear, unless… who are the vampires in this scenario, exactly?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

What does it matter?  :?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

VonKleist

(click to show/hide)

:laugh:

And another male character because it´s two girls (in my book at least.. okay, a robotic girl-car) already.
Maybe Angus? Or Dale?? :)

Somebody

• Curry sauce

That said, I'd like to see Momo going with Marten. I think it'd be an interesting window into the way QC world handles anthroPCs - for example, I wonder how airport security screening works when you are full of the things that the scans find suspicious?
AIs are expected to hire bodies at the far end and internet themselves over, rather than fly.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Claire's not going, but even if she did, why would her being trans be an issue? I don't mean because people won't be transphobic, but what makes people think that anyone would know she was? None of Marten's friends know, Marten just knows because she told him, and they've known her longer than the people at the wedding ever will.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

That said, I'd like to see Momo going with Marten. I think it'd be an interesting window into the way QC world handles anthroPCs - for example, I wonder how airport security screening works when you are full of the things that the scans find suspicious?
AIs are expected to hire bodies at the far end and internet themselves over, rather than fly.
... Beats the hell out of flying commercial, wouldn't you say?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer

Do Marten or Hannelore actually have a driver's license? Besides from getting a car, who will drive?

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

A moose has come out of
the impenetrable wood
and stands there, looms, rather,
in the middle of the road.
It approaches; it sniffs at
the bus's hot hood.

Towering, antlerless,
high as a church,
homely as a house
(or, safe as houses).
A man's voice assures us
"Perfectly harmless. . . ."

Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Americans are cute with their "big states-little states" thing.  Most Canadian Provinces are bigger than two or three states combined...except that Alaska place.  We gauge travel time in hours on the highway (for instance, my folks are a 10 hour drive away, no big deal).

Anyway, moose shouldn't be a problem - unless they plan to drive at night or go into the woods during the rut....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Truec

• Furry furrier

Why would Marten need plane tickets or a car to get to The Horrible Revelation?"
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1520

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

I drove up to the white mountains, just on the New Hampshire side of the border, for my first anniversary, at the end of January a few years ago. There's a wonderful B&B up there in Bethlehem, NH, and we drove back in a blinding snowstorm so intense that D.O.T crews weren't even coming out. Not once did I ever catch a glimpse of a moose. I was so sad...
Worry Hat, Engage!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Americans are cute with their "big states-little states" thing.  Most Canadian Provinces are bigger than two or three states combined...except that Alaska place.  We gauge travel time in hours on the highway (for instance, my folks are a 10 hour drive away, no big deal).
I live in New Jersey and am moving either to Boston or New Hampshire this summer. It's a four or five hour drive, depending on which one I move to. To my cousin in Montana, that's nothing. To me? I'm probably going to only make it once a month, because four hours is a significant journey.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I'm a little puzzled by those who say that a ten-hour drive is a mere nothing - do they really have so little else to occupy their time that ten hours is so readily available?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

It's more that, in those areas, a ten hour drive is routine, due to the distances at play.

Myself, I find a 1 hour drive fairly normal (despite my commute being 10 minutes), a 3 hour drive not bad, a 6 hour drive moderate, and a 10+ hour drive long. 13 hours is about the most I can do in one sitting (although sometimes that 13 includes a couple ~15 minute nap stops).

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

LOL, I find these sort of distances to be cute in the other direction.  With the USA you have a country (and states) so big that you're barely bothering to use much of it. :-D

I could get from Lands End to John O'Groats in around fourteen hours in a car, and the record for cycling it is well under fifty hours (depending on whether you count a recumbent as a cycle or not, which the Road Records Association doesn't).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

My daughter is north of NYC, a 10-hour drive from my part of Michigan. It's not a big deal, but I'm retired. In the next couple of days I'll drive to Arizona, 25-30 hours, three days, two nights, driving because I travel heavy and take two cats. I wish I had a companion, but I've managed it alone twice now.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish

Is it just me, or is it shocking that Marten first forgot that his dad had sent him a wedding reminder, then had to ask for money for plane tickets, and now has to be told he could drive there after his dad already bought those tickets? Kind of a crappy son if you ask me.

I know what you mean about driving long distances in Canada. Being Australian, driving for long periods is not strange at all. I drive to see my mother at least once a week and she lives 90 minutes away if I really speed there. Driven Sydney to Brisbane heaps of times and that is 10 hours minimum. I would like it if things were a little closer together, but that would probably just annoy all the dangerous animals that live here.

Analyst

• Not quite a lurker

Not just Moose.  Moose and Squirrel!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Is it just me, or is it shocking that Marten first forgot that his dad had sent him a wedding reminder, then had to ask for money for plane tickets, and now has to be told he could drive there after his dad already bought those tickets? Kind of a crappy son if you ask me.

I thought that too. His da didn't question the need for plane tickets so he probably thinks the same way about distance as Marten (although he and Maurice were seen with a car during their last visit) but it'll still be pain when he's already paid for them. Hopefully Marten will say he can drive up so Henry can try to get a refund.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Worrying about Moose, ey? I guess they're not exactly the cleanest in the world given their parasites. Those frakkers just don't let go. Though apparently they haven't really spread to moose in America yet, if Wiki is to be believed.

I'm a little puzzled by those who say that a ten-hour drive is a mere nothing - do they really have so little else to occupy their time that ten hours is so readily available?

Considering that in the past it'd take you thirty years in a wagon and half of you would die on the way..  :-D
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

More like a month or so...but according to the vast research* I've done, half would indeed die, either from dysentery or fording a 20 foot river.

*Oregon Trail

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I think you're all burying the lead. Going in a car means....

ROAD TRIP!!!!

More people can fit in a car than are actually invited to the wedding... it would surprise me very little to see Hanners, Marigold *and* Claire go on the trip at this point.

The scripts almost write themselves!

Somebody

• Curry sauce

... Beats the hell out of flying commercial, wouldn't you say?
You may have a point! (Depending on the type/condition of the hire bodies, of course.)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Yeah, stay away from the el-cheapo chassis rental places.  You never know what the previous renter did with it...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

More like a month or so...but according to the vast research* I've done, half would indeed die, either from dysentery or fording a 20 foot river.

*Oregon Trail

:-D

(It was referencing Louis C.K. FYI, of course it doesn't take that long. <3 )
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2013, 13:29 by Valdís »
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up