THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 Jun 2024, 20:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It's the afterparty! So what excitement will we find?

Innuendo about Marty and Claire all around!
- 52 (35.6%)
Faye and Angus have broken UP????
- 1 (0.7%)
Dora and TAI have broken UP?????? (Over that picture no less!)
- 1 (0.7%)
Hannelore is going off to live in Timbuktu for a year????!
- 1 (0.7%)
Marigold has a BOYFRIEND!!!!!
- 10 (6.8%)
Pintsize found Momo's old chassis!
- 10 (6.8%)
Penelope and Wil have eloped!
- 4 (2.7%)
Sven is still single!
- 5 (3.4%)
Nothing's changed. (C'mon, be realistic.)
- 24 (16.4%)
Corned Beef and Cabbage for everyone!
- 4 (2.7%)
Uh... Shamrock Shakes, maybe?
- 3 (2.1%)
What about Waffles and Space Ham?
- 5 (3.4%)
Mom woke up with some guy named "Pierre".
- 16 (11%)
Why did those two guys that rode the horse look like Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn?
- 10 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2406-2410 (18-22 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 159115 times)

squeegee

• Not quite a lurker

Hmm, I just noticed that Claire had also rghfrgl'd in #2367, over Steve's shoulders.

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

Hmm, I just noticed that Claire had also rghfrgl'd in #2367, over Steve's shoulders.

She's remembering the lake, her natural habitat.  All the signs were there, why didn't I see it before?!?

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Knowing Jephzibah, our Trollmaster, it could still happen.
o_O I read that as Jephlizabeth o_O

Narcolepto

• Not quite a lurker

The closest I could imagine to a "violent" reaction from him would be along the lines of a louder-than-necessary "Guh?!" or "Huh-buh-duh-wha?!?"

Sword drawing while quoting MST3K.

Faye pushes Marten aside before he blows.

To be fair, both of those incidents involved Hannelore getting really scared and/or bothered and about to lose it, and we all know that Hanners triggers Marten's protective instincts. You can't hold him responsible for violence when it comes to Hanners, he's just like a mama bear protecting her defenseless cubs!
For the Horde!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

A whole different kind of sad is Dakimakura, body length pillows that usually have a scantily clad anime character on them.

Narcolepto

• Not quite a lurker

In comic 2370, why is Claire going all "luckyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" when she's talking about Dora and Martens past relationship? It almost sounds as if she's a bit envious (I was gonna say jealous, but maybe jealous is too strong a word for this).

I used to think she was being envious of Marten having dated Dora, but that didn't make any sense to me, and considering todays comic, I think she was being envious of Dora instead?

Maybe I'm reading stuff into this.
(also, is it offensive if I assume that Claire shows interest in men rather than women, because of being transgender? Is it offensive that I'm thinking about possibly being offensive? ARGH)
It was discussed back then, so you can check the thread for that week. I interpreted it as "Marten, you were a lucky person to date her." without Claire attaching anything of herself to that statement.

Nah, for reading to much into things and recursive panoffensiveness, you have come to the right place.

See I saw it as her being envious of Dora, especially after how she gets WAY SUPER PISSED at her and protective of Marten.
For the Horde!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I wish you hadn't mentioned Ralph Fiennes, because now I'm just thinking how disappointed I was by Skyfall...but that's for another thread.

Goodness, what a polarising film that turned out to be. I'd be interested to follow, and contribute to, that thread if/when it turns up. Especially since I am working my way through my new Bond set on blu-ray right now (seen from the beginning up to and including The Man with the Golden Gun so far).
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Good gravy!  Four pages already?!!!

A whole different kind of sad is Dakimakura, body length pillows that usually have a scantily clad anime character on them.

Now that's where it get's interesting!!!!    :-D    :evil:

Oh, and Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

hai jeph i improved ur comic

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

THWEEEEEEEEEEET

Foul!! 20 minutes in the Penalty Box with a drunken Samurai
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

westrim

Further adding to the rationale for the girl in the picture: Those anime body-length pillow cases usually have a 'PG' side and a 'PG-13+' side, depending on the artist, character, and property involved.

That 8-to-12-year-old is probably seeing the same character partially falling out of a neglige on the other side of the pillow.

For the record, I don't own any of these items, but I have seen them advertised.
Possibly the other side according to this image.

Warning: First image involves a skintight bodysuit. Second image is gigantic and runs from PG to R to illegal to purchase if it were real or you are Canadian or Texan.

Edit: Sorry about all the editing, I'm not sure if the first image is too large or getting nuked. Making it just a link.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2013, 15:29 by Westrim »

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Possibly the other side according to this image (both are too big or something.)

Warning: Image linked is NSFW due to containing mild nudity and/or loli.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

THWEEEEEEEEEEET
Foul!! 20 minutes in the Penalty Box with a drunken Samurai

Oh come on. You knew Willis was gonna do it sooner or later. Give that poor AA Samurai his medication back and leave him alone.

That's a lotta nudity. But at least it's discreetly censored where appropriate. /facepalm
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

BubbaTech

I was thinking to myself the other day, hmmmmm  I wonder how long it will take for claire and Martin to end up in bed together???  I guess My self question has been answered...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

...So everyone ready for 4 panels of Steve eating cereal up next?
Or maybe him filing some paperwork at the local DKYA headquarters.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I was thinking to myself the other day, hmmmmm  I wonder how long it will take for claire and Martin to end up in bed together???  I guess My self question has been answered...

Well, they haven't actually made it to being in bed, but otherwise, yes.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

It's all above board... and bedsheets.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Is being under the covers a requirement for being "in" bed? If someone is sleeping on a bed, I'd consider them in bed.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Well to be honest i split it between "If i'm on a bed but not going to sleep then im on the bed, if i'm going to sleep on a bed then i'm in bed"

But that's my way of doing it, unsure how others do.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Well, they're both certainly ON the bed. Fully clothed, no covers, not even to first base, but  by the most literal definition they are in fact "sleeping with each other."
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

True intimacy is farting in each other's presence without getting embarrassed.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

Oh wow, ha ha, I've seen that anime and I absolutely LOATHE that character!  :lol: Becoming a body pillow is sadly a continuation of her stupid function in the story.

Edit: for slight increase in clarity
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2013, 17:07 by Sassafras »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

So… that picture. The EXIF data suggests that it was a self-timer shot. I wonder why?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

So… that picture. The EXIF data suggests that it was a self-timer shot. I wonder why?
Because the waifu knows not the operations of camera.

Is it bad that I am COMPLETELY unfazed by this picture?
Worry Hat, Engage!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Is it bad that I kind of want to steal panel 3 for an avatar, not because it's cute (though it really is), but because then I could could be the after-shot to your avatar, Blue?

westrim

Is it bad that I am COMPLETELY unfazed by this picture?
I believe you mean the possible reverse side, and that he meant the giant composite image.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

when single I typically sleep with my arm around a pillow, its a comfort thing, but I do not think I could ever get a body pillow.

sorry I am no James Franco...
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

ohai guys how was everyone's weekend. I just relaxed an bit and washed my....DAWWWW ALERT! DAWWW ALERT!

D'AWWWWWWWWWWW is apparently the new DAAAAAAAAAAAAAYMN DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG

Edit: FMP
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2013, 19:21 by FunkyTuba »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

####, there went my streak of consecutive threads started without a moderator lock.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Not your fault. And FunkyTuba, don't you mean the new DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

####, there went my streak of consecutive threads started without a moderator lock.

NOT your fault.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Maximize DANG for great DANGNESS. :parrot:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

(also, is it offensive if I assume that Claire shows interest in men rather than women, because of being transgender? Is it offensive that I'm thinking about possibly being offensive? ARGH)

Well, Cllaire has explicitly stated her attraction.

She's also called Hanners pretty, and all of Marten's friends "really attractive". Though that doesn't necessarily imply she's attracted to them.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

(oops post fixed)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I know it wasn't me. Just... dang. It's like losing a perfect game on a bad call by an umpire.

Anyways - I sleep with a body pillow. I'm a side-sleeper, so there.

I'd love to have tomorrow's punchline involve Steve sitting down to eat a bowl of cereal, and Cosette asking, "What are you doing?"

"Sorry, but all of a sudden I had this urge to eat a bowl of cereal!"
 :psyduck:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

I can't think of any interpretation of macho that includes holding a pillow at a bar.
"Here's the wife hur hur."
Making fun of guys who are lonely, and hug their pillows. Objectifying women too. The wink and the upraised glass in the pub would seem to support that, as well as the expression of the girl in the background.

keep in mind that in evolutionary terms, we're not all that far off from the hunter-gatherer apes we once were. many human behaviors we have today are holdovers from that time. while they can seem obsolete & outright ridiculous now, it really wasn't all that long ago that they played an important roll in our survival & evolutionary fitness.

-"Haha, you're emotionally vulnerable." = "I am asserting my dominance & superiority to the tribe."
-"Wachu look'n at punk?" = "I have identified a potential rival to be destroyed."
-"Nope, that didn't hurt. I'm fine. Don't help me. It totally didn't hurt." = "I am not easily susceptible to injury, and thus an good breeding stock."
-"Ten bags of groceries? No problem, I got this. No, they're not too heavy, just go unlock the door." = "I will demonstrate my strength and competence as a provider by single-handedly killing a mastodon for you.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Only a douchey friend wakes you up in the middle of the night when you're fast sleep.

Particularly when you're black out drunk and comfortably sleeping.  Good form, Marten.

As someone who requires a pillow in my arms to sleep properly (you kinda need one when you're a "sleep on your side sleeper" comic is completely normal.  Whoever takes my pillow gets slapped. :angel:

The Iron Rose

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I can't think of any interpretation of macho that includes holding a pillow at a bar.
"Here's the wife hur hur."
Making fun of guys who are lonely, and hug their pillows. Objectifying women too. The wink and the upraised glass in the pub would seem to support that, as well as the expression of the girl in the background.

keep in mind that in evolutionary terms, we're not all that far off from the hunter-gatherer apes we once were. many human behaviors we have today are holdovers from that time. while they can seem obsolete & outright ridiculous now, it really wasn't all that long ago that they played an important roll in our survival & evolutionary fitness.

-"Haha, you're emotionally vulnerable." = "I am asserting my dominance & superiority to the tribe."
-"Wachu look'n at punk?" = "I have identified a potential rival to be destroyed."
-"Nope, that didn't hurt. I'm fine. Don't help me. It totally didn't hurt." = "I am not easily susceptible to injury, and thus an good breeding stock."
-"Ten bags of groceries? No problem, I got this. No, they're not too heavy, just go unlock the door." = "I will demonstrate my strength and competence as a provider by single-handedly killing a mastodon for you.

You would have a great point if this were 60 years ago and evolutionary psychology wasn't completely discredited.
When he's a girl, he's a girl, when she's a boy she's a boy.
I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock.

squeegee

• Not quite a lurker

WTF is with the Steve+Cereal references? Clue me.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I don't think it's an actual thing, someone just thought of the filleriest filler they could think of, and everyone else just went with it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

WTF is with the Steve+Cereal references? Clue me.
From Jeph's Twitter
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine

Guys, I don't think Jeph was joking about the next comic being Steve eating cereal for four panels.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

You don't really know how much you miss Steve until he's gone.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Not just cereal:  CRUNCHOS!!!!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine

I'm thinking the chances that Steve is wearing any clothing at all are not looking good.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I think someone dared him to .... willis? randy? danielle? angela? emily? ryan?

WHO WAS IT?

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Are we sure this isn't just a dream-sequence of Claire's? Maybe we aren't actually seeing what's goin' on with Steve at all.

For all we know he eats his cereal wearing.. clothes! The horror..!
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

TheEvilDog

Bravo Mr. Jacques, bravo you magnificent bastard :laugh:

I've been laughing at the comic for the last five minutes, its just so ridiculously absurd, its brilliant.

willpell

• Plantmonster

Steve comic is the ultimate "Take That".  I cannot help but approve.

(Not sure how I feel about the <- and -> key browsing option.  Could be convenient or annoying, will have to see.)
"From the moment I wake, it rains grenades, so I scribble on the page and reality fades."
--Otep, "Serv Asat"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up