THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 21 May 2024, 13:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It's the afterparty! So what excitement will we find?

Innuendo about Marty and Claire all around!
- 52 (35.6%)
Faye and Angus have broken UP????
- 1 (0.7%)
Dora and TAI have broken UP?????? (Over that picture no less!)
- 1 (0.7%)
Hannelore is going off to live in Timbuktu for a year????!
- 1 (0.7%)
Marigold has a BOYFRIEND!!!!!
- 10 (6.8%)
Pintsize found Momo's old chassis!
- 10 (6.8%)
Penelope and Wil have eloped!
- 4 (2.7%)
Sven is still single!
- 5 (3.4%)
Nothing's changed. (C'mon, be realistic.)
- 24 (16.4%)
Corned Beef and Cabbage for everyone!
- 4 (2.7%)
Uh... Shamrock Shakes, maybe?
- 3 (2.1%)
What about Waffles and Space Ham?
- 5 (3.4%)
Mom woke up with some guy named "Pierre".
- 16 (11%)
Why did those two guys that rode the horse look like Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn?
- 10 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2406-2410 (18-22 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 157947 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Maybe the connection is that Veronica is going to start dating a volcano?

No! A man who a volcano of passion!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

It will be called Gregory and it will enjoy sunsets and RAGE
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

GarandMarine

• Awakened

It will be called Gregory and it will enjoy sunsets and RAGE

See why do you have to go stereotyping volcanoes like that? You can have a fiery personality without being an angry person.   :psyduck:
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

We could simply accept that Veronica is horrible at segues and leave it there, couldn't we?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Quote from: 'Jeph Jacques (tumblr Q&A dump)'
One of the main reasons I still enjoy doing QC after almost 10 years is the feeling of satisfaction I get when I finish a comic I’m particularly happy with. It doesn’t happen every time, but when it does it makes everything else worthwhile.
Woo! I asked that question! He didn't really answer to what I was asking though.

Braindmged

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

When you are attacked by a volcano, does that imply that a colossal mountain of earth actually moved with the sentient intention of assaulting you, or is it just a metaphor for something else?

Tolf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I'm not one to do the whole so and so should be together shipping thing but I'd like to see Marten and Hanners get together. Hanners comes to realize that Marten would be the best guy to help her with her fears and she brings up the idea to Dora and Faye first. Afterwards when she builds up the courage to ask Marten out, he would probably be weirded out by it at first then go with it. The next 1000 strips would show the progression of the relationship between the two and the differences they would have trying to make it work. Their first kiss would probably be an entire picture with everyone standing in the background looking at them. But that would only happen after Hannelore decides she is done being scared of certain intimate contact and grabs Marten and then kisses him... Nah, Jeph would never do that... Or would he?

No, no. Interesting idea, but not the next 5 years interesting. Yep, that's 1000 strips. Do the math.

...And I finally registered for this.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's closer to 4, actually. 5/7*365 is a little over 250. And bhtooefr...what pun? It's early and I've had not enough sleep, but I don't see one :psyduck:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

And bhtooefr...what pun? It's early and I've had not enough sleep, but I don't see one :psyduck:

Don't worry, you're better off blind.

docC

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I forgot to read the title (as almost always) and after reading the comic, I was ready to come here to post that it's very likely that there will be an active volcano in France soon (geologically speaking, so soon means any time between now and several 10000 years).
Then I remembered to read the title and saw that Jeph already mentioned it. Damn you Jeph for knowing such a thing and robbing me of the opportunity of being a wise ass.

Edit:
Stupid me, right after posting I remembered there is at least one active volcano in France. How could I forget that???
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2013, 05:14 by docC »

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Don't worry, you're better off blind.

That's something you REALLY don't want to hear your doctor say...  :-D
What do you know about Pokémon?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

And bhtooefr...what pun? It's early and I've had not enough sleep, but I don't see one :psyduck:

Put a hyphen in the word "analogies", it'll be easier to see it. 

Then forget that you ever did, because it really wasn't worth it. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Like I said, that pun was horrible. I was trying to head discussion of it off at the pass, but I should've known better.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Speaking of bad segues, my wife is possibly even worse at them than Veronica.

She might (hypothetically) say, "Speaking of active volcanoes..."
Me: "Huh? We weren't talking about active volcanoes."
Wife: "Well, we were talking about Hawaii."
Me: "No we weren't. We were talking about cats."
Wife: "Oh. Well, anyway, about France..."

Somewhere in the back of my wife's brain was a logical segue from cats to Hawaii. She just neglected to inform anyone but herself of her train of thought.

Which may be why Veronica's segue from active volcanoes to dating made perfect sense to me. This is Veronica we're talking about. Any relationship she gets into is going to resemble a volcanic eruption - loud, spectacular, and dangerous to bystanders.   :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I'm actually quite horrible about that myself, mentally getting ahead of the conversation and then allowing my thoughts to come out, and everyone being confused about the conversational whiplash.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Hmm... upon further review, Veronica's segue was actually from Hawaii to dating. Oh well, Hawaii to active volcanoes is such a short hop compared to what I usually have to parse that I didn't actually notice.  :wink:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Which may be why Veronica's segue from active volcanoes to dating made perfect sense to me. This is Veronica we're talking about. Any relationship she gets into is going to resemble a volcanic eruption - loud, spectacular, and dangerous to bystanders.   :-D

What does it say about me as a person that this sounds like my description of a dream date?

westrim

The question is, when her relationships cool a bit are they a'a (sharp and jagged) or pahoehoe (long and ropey)?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Pintsize is not well equipped to be a cuddly friend. Uploading him into a soft fuzzy body might produce what the old IBM manuals called "unpredictable results". Marten doesn't have a Soft Thing to snuggle.
You never know; it worked with Reynardine.

Reynardine isn't an AnthroPC. Wrong side of the river.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Reynardine isn't quite the force of chaos Pintsize is - despite being an actual force of chaos!
What do you know about Pokémon?

ukrayf

• Not quite a lurker

Oh my, 'that's why they're called "nature's elephants"' has had me giggling like a child all day. Haven't had that effect from this comic in a while.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

The question is, when her relationships cool a bit are they a'a (sharp and jagged) or pahoehoe (long and ropey)?

Take one internet for using the appropriate technical terms!

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

printf ("%s\n", translate (LANG_AUTO, LANG_ENGLISH, "Chaîne Des Puys"));
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Hmm, two things I consider strange in this comic: Maurice has his plate full of egg already, so why would he go to get more, and where's Claire's plate?

So much about overanalyzing…  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

westrim

Maurice really likes eggs.

As for Claire, her mother was pregnant with her during the O.J. Simpson trial, and watched it so much that OJ is now all her daughter consumes.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Claire was born in the '80s, but good guess!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Maybe the QCverse OJ Simpson trial happened in the eighties?
Or it was a different OJ Simpson?
Or Claire is actually Clinton's timelost clone-daughter and it was actually the second trial?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

sha'mad conde

• Not quite a lurker

Maybe she's a vegetarian and O.J. was THE choice.
Proudly destabilizing reality since 1908.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new people!

My wife shrieked with laughter at "horses are nature's elephants".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

If we're going to overanalyze the status of eggs on plates, I guess I'll be the wet blanket to point out that comic panel time does not equal our reality time. There is more than enough *potential time* between panels 3 and 4 for Maurice to Cookie Monster the shit out of some eggs.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Speaking of bad segues, my wife is possibly even worse at them than Veronica.

She might (hypothetically) say, "Speaking of active volcanoes..."
Me: "Huh? We weren't talking about active volcanoes."
Wife: "Well, we were talking about Hawaii."
Me: "No we weren't. We were talking about cats."
Wife: "Oh. Well, anyway, about France..."

Somewhere in the back of my wife's brain was a logical segue from cats to Hawaii. She just neglected to inform anyone but herself of her train of thought.

I tend to do that when I am half-asleep, but still conscious enough to talk. So my GF will say something about cats, then I will say something like "Yeah, it's really strange." My GF: "What?" Me, still absentmindedly: "How elephants don't have any paws." Her: "What? We were talking about cats, right?". Me, now more awake: "Eh. Yes. Damn, how did I get to elephants?"

The worst thing is, I remember there being a chain of associations that led me to elephants, but I don't remember what it was. Argh.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
  • I've got fireflies where my caution should be.

All this talk about eggs is making me hungry.

Also, I'm excited to see what's been happening in the rest of QC world! I want to catch up with Hanners and Marigold.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Maybe she's a vegetarian and O.J. was THE choice.
But if it was a half decent hotel [not Days or its ilk] then they would also have had fresh fruit available.
I just hope she isn't one of those not-breakfast type people .... did she have anything at the cottage party?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

westrim

If we're going to overanalyze the status of eggs on plates, I guess I'll be the wet blanket to point out that comic panel time does not equal our reality time. There is more than enough *potential time* between panels 3 and 4 for Maurice to Cookie Monster the shit out of some eggs.
Unfortunately for that hypothesis, we can see them on his plate still on the 4th panel.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

Maybe it's a napkin or something? It doesn't look yellow enough to be eggs.

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference

...although I hope for our sake they end up talking about it because I for one am dying to know what they're thinking about it.

Is there really anything to talk about? Unless they're going to be all, "That was nice; let's date," (which seems unlikely) I don't think there is anything to talk about.

On another note, the next t-shirt design needs to be: Horses: Nature's Elephants.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Hmm, ground elephant lasagna...

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Henry and Maurice were seriously injured in a volcano attack five days later.

The only ways you can get injured/maimed/killed by a volcano in Hawaii nowadays unless you go out of your fucking way to injure yourself is getting burned by the Lava either by mere exposure or falling into one, or the lava shelf collapses under you and sends you into the scalding steaming sea below you.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P

No, no, those would be "accidents". Jeph specifically said it would be an "attack". You know what this means...
Groudon's in Hawaii.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I just hope she isn't one of those not-breakfast type people .... did she have anything at the cottage party?
Maybe she's already ate, or wanted to talk a bit before getting food. And what's so horrible about being a not-breakfast type person?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

I'm a not breakfast person. Food just never sounds appealing before noon. Just juice.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I agree with you there, but at the same time, breakfast food tastes GOOD. Seriously, a croissantwich is one of my favorite things.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

Oh, I won't argue with you about that. Breakfast foods are the best. I just usually eat them at ridiculous hours of the night. There's a great place where I live called Stepping Stone Cafe that serves the best breakfast foods until about 4 a.m... Mmmm, waffles :-)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Thinking Hawaii, bellicose volcanoes or not, had something to do with Henry's and Veronica's early romantic life. First date, honeymoon, first mutual porn production, whatever. That would make it not too bad a segue in V's mind, or even Henry's.

It would explain V's seeming irritation at Henry's quip about her being bad at segues (which is not the same as her being unable to ride a two-wheeled electric stand-up cart); she could be reading this as dismissal of her attempt to remember those happy early days.

Maurice, despite his inexplicable conviction that an elephant is some sort of artificial horse, senses this and knows, whether or not there are at present eggs on his plate, it is time to get more.

Unless this is simply a fever dream of Steve in his Cruncho-induced coma, in which case never mind.

EDIT noting items referenced in red text: Who says breakfast food has to be eaten at breakfast time?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Oh, I won't argue with you about that. Breakfast foods are the best. I just usually eat them at ridiculous hours of the night. There's a great place where I live called Stepping Stone Cafe that serves the best breakfast foods until about 4 a.m... Mmmm, waffles :-)
The best thing about New Jersey is the diners. And in Jersey, it's not a diner unless it's a. open 24 hours and b. always serving breakfast. Nothing like a good diner brinner, or hell, breakfast after midnight is technically breakfast in the morning!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Martenmom is going for some jailbait! :-D

As such, she'll date someone named

Scooter
Mikey
Danny
Johnny
Freddy
Max
Digger
Danger
Rod

Ok.  I'm just screwin'.   :evil:

Seriously though, I bet Veronika goes "cougar" mode and ensnares some poor 20ish yr/o dude.  After all, Veronika is probably still in prime sexual fitness.  She needs someone to keep up.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What do you mean mode? Isn't that her standard MO?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I was under the impression that the whole point here was that she wasn't after casual sex any more. Because she was quite open about it before, but asked about dating.

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text

I agree she is wanting more than just a hook up. She seems to bee looking for something that could last for a while.

Signature

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Unfortunately for that hypothesis, we can see them on his plate still on the 4th panel.

Oh I see it now. I guess I assumed it was a biscuit, but I don't see evidence of biscuit on the plate before.

It's totally the wrong color to be the eggs, but I can't see what else it can be but egg.

Though it's not unrealistic that she would want someone who, maybe not *really* young, isn't her age either. Possibly. Just because she wants emotional intimacy doesn't mean her libido isn't still pretty strong.

That said I do think she'll go a little older than has been implied. She's going to date...uh...Jim? Is that his name? Secret Bakery's owner. >_>
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up