THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 03:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KotOR 1: Does this count as retrogaming?  (Read 3096 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
KotOR 1: Does this count as retrogaming?
« on: 11 Apr 2013, 19:35 »

The game will be ten years old in July, but I recently played it for the first time on my Mac, and had a ton of fun for $20. I don't really like the Star Wars franchise, so I decided to play as if my old Traveller character had crossed over, and didn't use a lightsaber even once.

Did anyone else feel a little sorry for Malak at the end? He doesn't really stand a chance, and while his defeat caps the story nicely, it's not a white-knuckle final boss-battle.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ackblom12

Re: KotOR 1: Does this count as retrogaming?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2013, 19:49 »

Yeah, by the time you get to Malak you are essentially a Demi-God. Dude was just way out of his league.

If you enjoyed it, I would suggest looking into KOTOR II and the Restoration Mod. I think the story is much much better in the sequel and the characters have a lot more depth than the pulpy source material usually allows. Kreia alone has more depth than the entire cast of the original game. The restoration mod is practically necessary though due to some problems between Obsidian and LucasArts at the time of development. The mod basically restores the last 1/3 of the game that wasn't completed, but still had the resources laying around in the code.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2013, 19:49 »

In answer to your first question....yes, it does count as retro gaming.  :-P

As for Malak, I would look at it from his perspective. His former master, whom he thought was dead, has not only come back but is (1) the man Revan used to be or (2) more Revan than before and in both instances has become stronger than ever. Not only that but I imagine the Star Forge's supposed corruptive influence has probably weakened him somewhat.

There is also a underlying current in many of Bioware's game that while the protagonist is special, they could never make it as far as they have without their companions. But there is also the way that the main antagonist is often the reflection of the protagonist, if they took a darker path. Its been quite a while since I looked at KotOR, but I'm certain that Malak didn't have that support, or by the time you get to him, you've taken care of his allies.

His end reflects that he never quite matched up to Revan throughout his life, so that ultimately when it came down to him or Revan, Malak would lose out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2013, 22:55 »

I had some issues with Malak on my first play through. I have Xbox versions of KOTOR and KOTOR II and still give'em a whirl occasionally. Wonderful stuff.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2013, 23:56 »

As usual when I play things like this, I try to be the merciful goodie-two-shoes. Because REASONS.

(click to show/hide)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2013, 03:20 »

I was the lightest of Light Jedi at the end too, and I made exactly the same mistake preparing my character for the final battle because I didn't know about... stuff, but that really just made it longer, not harder. I just had to repeat the same tactics over and over, and I had so many resources by that time that I didn't feel threatened.

If I were an architect working for an evil overlord who is a big goon with a sword, I would not design his lair as a large open space where a enemy with guns, grenades, and better mobility can keep the range open.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: [1]   Go Up