Advanced search  

Poll

Where did Emily go?

To her house.
To her parents house.
To the internet!
To a game store.
To a Game Stop.
To a new character, because there aren't enough already.
To Capcom headquarters.
To Marten
To the batmobile.
To the barricades.
To the moon.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2430-2434 (22-26 April, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 84147 times)

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Besides, if I've understood anything that I've read, starting a transition enables a huge improvement in the emotional well-being of the person.

+1 from me. Don't presume the occasional depression is just as a result of pills (post hoc ergo propter hoc), I was a lot worse in that regard before.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Goddamn you Jeph for using first panel Claire to grab at some heartstrings and yank 'em like a church bell.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Outlier

Am I the only one that noticed that the Ativan bottle is empty?

Jeph has done a bit with alcohol abuse in the past, perhaps he is setting up a drug dependency...

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Is what Claire describes in the last panel a sign of deep depression or an effect of Ativan?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Well, I can't believe you want to stare at a wall for three hours when depressed. You might do it anyway, but not because you want to.
What do you know about Pokémon?

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

its not "want to", persay. its more like " don't feel like doing / can't imagine doing / can't bring myself to do anything else"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I can say ditto (tritto?) on the post-transition calming effect, and how it doesn't fix everything. In addition, not because, of being trans I also seem to suffer from a mild case of bi-polar disorder, a strong case of social anxiety and likely a middling case of PTSD. All for reasons other than being transgender. I look on, and the medical establishment is working towards seeing being transgender as more of a physical issue than a mental one, though not dealing with it can lead to stress-related mental problems. The general public needs to catch up with that though instead of thinking of us as 'them crazy weirdos'.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Am I the only one that noticed that the Ativan bottle is empty?

Jeph has done a bit with alcohol abuse in the past, perhaps he is setting up a drug dependency...

I hope not. Recovering from drug addiction is in no way a fun subject. I'm not saying that recovering from alcoholism is, either, but in my experience the two are in different leagues. I can't see Claire becoming (or being) a full-blown addict, either. But then again, it's not always easy to spot.

Warning - while you were typing 2487531 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Argh!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

i petition for Marten to at least pat her on the shoulder. if not fully hug her. :c

Given that Claire's mortification is associated with cuddling Marten, this would need tact (of the sort that Marten is actually quite good at, fortunately).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

its not "want to", persay. its more like " don't feel like doing / can't imagine doing / can't bring myself to do anything else"

"Want to" is exactly what she said. My point was that it's more likely that she is reacting to the medicine than that she is depressed enough to sit staring at the wall.

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication

Is there anyone in this strip that isn't medicated?

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Is there anyone in this strip that isn't medicated?

Marten,
Steve,
Pintsize,
Winslow,
Angus,
Marigold,
Tai,
Sven
Wil
Penny,
Raven
Jimbo
Dora

The list of persons taking medications is much shorter:

Faye (actually I not sure if she still is);
Hanners; and
Claire

And as for Marten giving claire a hug right now that would be a bad idea:

a.  She's having an anxiety attack because of the revelation of cuddling - a hug from that person might not be the smartest thing right now; and
b.  She's at work and the library sexual harassment policy may kick in if someone who doesn't know the backstory walks in.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

I was about to post a similar list, but you beat me to it.

Some of the characters occasionally self-medicate with alcohol (or, in Tai's case, other drugs), but Hannelore seems to be the only one who is on prescription drugs on an ongoing basis. Claire's medication seems to be an as-needed thing.

Not even sure how you'd medicate an anthroPC. Antivirus software?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Cake batter, obviously.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

And IIRC Faye was just taking vitamin supplements or something.

I agree, Marten's the wrong person to give her a hug. Doesn't mean that she doesn't need one. Unfortunately, she's close to two people that we know of in the comic - Marten, and Clinton, who's an even worse choice in this situation.  :-\

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Not sure Marten would be the "wrong" person to hug - that might actually defuse the situation considerably. And all persons concerned agree that Marten is a good guy, and that he would not be a danger in any way.

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text

I think we've all been there at east once, Claire.

Yep.
Signature

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Panic/Anxiety attacks are one of the least fun things ever...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Not sure Marten would be the "wrong" person to hug - that might actually defuse the situation considerably. And all persons concerned agree that Marten is a good guy, and that he would not be a danger in any way.

It is if Claire has romantic attachments to Martin (which I'm still not fully convinced of) while Martin not having romantic interest in (of which I'm 90% sure of).

miados

• Obscure cultural reference

Is what Claire describes in the last panel a sign of deep depression or an effect of Ativan?

not sure about ativan but I have had similarly odd thoughts with my depression.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Since it's in the punchline slot I'd say it's the happy pills.

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

Poor Claire. 

:(

That's all I've got.

tassaron

• Not quite a lurker
    • Tassaron.com

Wow. Last comic was definitely awkward but I wasn't expecting a full-out panic attack. Poor Claire.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I'm going to continue the "Poor Claire" theme.

Poor Claire.

This is probably the last thing she wants to deal with right now. But now she has to deal with it, there is no fucking way she wants to deal with it. I couldn't imagine what that would be like (and I hope never to find out).

Clinton has a hell of a lot of work to redeem himself for this day's work (such as eliminating every bigoted, hate-filled dumbass on (and maybe off) the planet).
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I know something that Clinton could do to redeem himself in the collective eyes of the forum.

(click to show/hide)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

westrim

I hope they didn't get any blood on the books while scattering Clinton.

Maybe the tertiary intern will get more importance and be the hugger.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Am I the only person who still doesn't think Clinton did something horrible? Probably not want anyone wanted, but probably better than leaving it unsaid, if he didn't say it well.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

I get the feeling that Clinton's action was less about Claire and more about he does not like Marten (being forced out of an apartment at sword point and then being tied to a chair do little to keep a positive attitude towards someone).

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

On the contrary, I thought that was his way of showing he's finally come around to Marten.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

JustAQCFan

Am I the only person who still doesn't think Clinton did something horrible? Probably not want anyone wanted, but probably better than leaving it unsaid, if he didn't say it well.

He was told something in confidence, something that was of considerable concern to Claire, and then betrayed that trust not only by revealing it to another person, but to the very person it was about.

It wasn't his to say anything about, it wasn't about him.  Sure, he's concerned about his sister, but by meddling, even with the best of intentions, he's not trusting his sister to manage her own relationships (good or bad) and allowing her to grow.

Is it the end of the world, no... but it was still the wrong thing to do.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Nah, Clinton didn't do anything horrible.  The awkwardness was already there, he just brought it to the surface.  Information wants to be free, after all.

But even if not horrible, what he did was still a poor choice, and bad enough, if he in any way could have predicted Claire's reaction.  And as close as those two seem to be, I see no reason to doubt that he could, unless he is terminally oblivious.  Which, I suppose, he might well be ...

I've never had panic attacks myself.  I've never witnessed panic attacks.  But I have heard people tell of their panic attacks.  It is not the actual horror that causes them.  I'm not sure it is even the potential, imagined horror.  It sounds more like the panic is triggered by trivial matters, and in turn triggers images of potential horror.  But what Claire is displaying here (with or without scattering), is not the reaction that these people have told me about, so I suspect I'm on the wrong page entirely here.  Off any map I know. :-\
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Yeah, also it's the first time we've seen Claire's tears, right? That doesn't exactly brush off the incident as him not doing anything bad.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Maybe I'm alone....but, better to rip off the scab quickly than do it slowly, metaphorically speaking.

I think Marten pretty much stopped worrying about it.

Claire just needed to get it out there rather than bottle it up. 

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

You don't go around ripping up other people's, though. At most you tell them they ought to do that.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Nnnnnot really. At least not in my personal experience. A lot of my panic attacks are triggered by more imagined and exaggerated things, but not minor or impossible. My biggest triggers are being around loud people, drunk people and people having arguments. Especially loud, drunk people having an argument, obviously. That stems from the fact that my father was an alcoholic. So I have very real reasons to fear that, even if it's not directed at me. Claire seems to have pretty strong issues regarding her parent's break up and possibly intimacy issues in general. Look at how she reacted when she found out Tai was going out with Marten's ex...

The physical and psychological reaction I get to my panic attacks, and from what I've heard is pretty common and seems to be what Claire is exhibiting here is triggering the 'flight' reaction. Causing me to withdraw and sometimes even have to run away from the source of the trigger, and then a long time of anxiety, jumpiness and a feeling that I am about to be physically attacked at any second until I am able to calm down. I don't talk any kind of medication for this then.

westrim

Ultimately, it doesn't matter how we feel or what we think the right course of action was or how okay this one was, it matters what Claire (and Marten) think and feel. And it's pretty dang obvious they feel, at least at this time, like Clinton did the wrong thing. Both were shocked, and Claire is fighting a panic attack.
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2013, 09:17 by Westrim »

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I kind of hope Clinton is never mentioned again, and in a few days we see the interns happily cleaning something red off the stacks...

Like Sara.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to introduce yourself up in the Welcome section, if you're inclined.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Poor Claire. The first panel broke my heart, and she's not a character I'm even too emotionally invested in.

"Am I the only one that noticed that the Ativan bottle is empty?"

Regarding this. Ativan are tiny, so it might just be that it's not pictured through the coloured plastic. They also often only give small doses, because of the fact that ativan dependencies are really easy to develop (my doctor says within a week), so perhaps she just took the last or only one or two tiny pills are left. If you haven't seen them, they are smaller than coloured pinheads, maybe 1.5mm in diameter.

I think the idea of her being addicted is unlikely to be Jeph's motive in drawing that, seeing as it's fairly reasonable that she's out of pills or that they're a pain to draw, and also that in the relatively small amount of Claire we have seen, there haven't been many hints toward it. Since she's transitioning, this is probably exactly the sort of situation she was prescribed it for (as well as potentially outing situations, coming out to parents/brother way back when, etc).

What makes me really curious here is whether she takes the ativan to calm down and collect herself or whether her anxiety attacks snowball worse and worse until she melts down/passes out/disassociates/gets hysterical. I think it's more likely to be the first (calm her down so she can get on with life) since Hanners is already in the strip and does two or three of those.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

My blood pressure med would be packaged with a month's worth of pills rattling around in the bottom of a vial that was mostly empty space on the inside. When I switched to mail-order meds with three months' worth arriving at a time, I figured I'd get full vials. Instead I got bigger bottles full of even more air. Rattle rattle rattle. I told the prescription people I had plenty of air and didn't need to have any more shipped to me, especially since it went toward my deductible, but that went about as far you you might imagine.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Now we need the next three strips to consist of at least three-four panels showing Clinton being violated... dismembered... burned... folded/chopped/spindled/mutilated and so forth... with the "punchline" being it's one of the other cast members imagining the violence.

The real joke is of course Emily being the most horrifically brutal of them all. 

Ok so I'm having a bad day.       When I get home I'ma horribly violate some video-game Nazis and pwn some nOObs.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

On the bottle being empty: it isn't. There are at least two circular anomalies at the bottom of the bottle that can't be explained by her finger being seen through the plastic.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

I think he meant well, and I'd be unsurprised if it all turns out for the best.  But I still can't help but feel terrible for Claire in today's strip.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I think he meant well, and I'd be unsurprised if it all turns out for the best.  But I still can't help but feel terrible for Claire in today's strip.

I agree. He did a kind of stupid thing, but it was well intentioned and won't hurt anyone in the long run. Of course, it did scare and maybe humiliate Claire, but he was just trying to be a good/protective brother.

Intentions aren't everything, of course, but good intentions+nonterrible outcome (in the comic world or in the storyline as viewed by us) seems like no reason to hate him.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses

Yeah, Ativan are really tiny, and the little bumps in the bottle Claire is holding could easily be at least a dozen pills.  While it can be easy to develop an addiction, I see absolutely no indication of that in the strip.  I've had it prescribed before (taking mainly as-needed), and what Claire is going through right now is definitely the kind of situation I'd want to reach for it, too.

As for Clinton, it's possible to have good intentions and still do something totally and completely wrong.  He didn't intend to hurt Claire, but he did. To echo Valdís, it wasn't his scab to pick.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I have to say I didn't expect Claire to react so strongly. Sure, I"d be very mortified, but taking mood-altering pills? Holy crapper.
Then of course, I have no idea of psychological illnesses.

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text

I think there is also a dynamic between Claire and Clinton that makes for a stronger reaction from Claire than if someone else was involved. I'm thinking of her reactions when we see them first run into each other in CoD. It is obvious that being around Clinton puts her on edge and I think that would explain how what would have been a very uncomfortable situation for her was made so much worse.

Signature

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

On the bottle being empty: it isn't. There are at least two circular anomalies at the bottom of the bottle that can't be explained by her finger being seen through the plastic.

Zooming in I see it...and Claire's tears, which I did not notice initially(And when a poster said she was crying I thought it was a exaggeration). You can just BARELY make them out at the normal size and even then it looks like you might be seeing things. I think that's two details that got lost when he scaled it down after drawing it.

It doesn't really matter how many pills she does or doesn't have left, but the tears were kind of important, even if she is obviously upset either way.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I have to say I didn't expect Claire to react so strongly. Sure, I"d be very mortified, but taking mood-altering pills? Holy crapper.
Then of course, I have no idea of psychological illnesses.

Being unexpectedly embarrassed is the sort of thing that would set off a panic attack. If she normally had no anxiety and this situation made her go ask for a prescription/take painkillers/get drunk, that would be worrying. But since she has the prescription for ativan, we can assume she has been given it for anxiety, panic attacks, social anxiety, or something, which means she's probably not going "oh no, I'm embarrassed, time for some ativan!"

I'll try to sort of explain this a bit better. Obviously my train of thought is not accurate for everyone else, perhaps not even Claire, but it's an example. Look at it like a timeline:
(click to show/hide)

ETA: I think Claire would hit a moment where it was like "Okay, leave me alone" and destress in the staff room or bathroom or something, probably before it escalated to the end, but the timeline is why the ativan helps, especially if you feel helpless to make other people listen.
Also added the spoiler tags.
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2013, 11:44 by Smallest »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I didn't notice the tears earlier either. Poor Claire :(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up