THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 May 2024, 09:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Umm, what??? That's pointless...  (Read 770670 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: Umm, what??? That's pointless...
« Reply #2600 on: 31 Dec 2013, 16:36 »

Fucking WHAT!?
Moé Hitler... :psyduck:   As always in these WW2 things, there's no love for China.
Where are moé Chiang and Mao? Oh wait... Found them!  :-D

Taken from a book called Nyotaika!! Sekai no Dokusaisha Retsuden (Dictators Transformed Into Moe Girls). More moé monsters.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2013, 16:43 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2601 on: 31 Dec 2013, 17:18 »

There are no words.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2602 on: 31 Dec 2013, 18:59 »

That ear is not where it is supposed to be.

And honestly? I think you could find something a LOT weirder than that on Kickstarter if you put the effort in searching.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #2603 on: 01 Jan 2014, 01:46 »

One for the engineeringly minded out there. Consider what pedalling forwards will do, and then consider what pedalling backwards will do.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #2604 on: 01 Jan 2014, 05:25 »

Did you accidentally the entire link?

And why do I suspect you were posting a retrodirect drivetrain or something like that?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2605 on: 01 Jan 2014, 13:07 »

They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2606 on: 01 Jan 2014, 13:47 »

Proving he's still scary after all these years.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #2607 on: 01 Jan 2014, 14:09 »

One for the engineeringly minded out there. Consider what pedalling forwards will do, and then consider what pedalling backwards will do.

http://velospace.org/files/P4270078.jpg

Did you accidentally the entire link?

And why do I suspect you were posting a retrodirect drivetrain or something like that?
And I decided to check the quote. Looks like you can't hotlink from there, I'd guess.

(But, that is what you posted. The way you phrased it made it obvious to me (as I've wanted to build one of those) even without the picture working.)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2608 on: 01 Jan 2014, 14:57 »

In the side view (the image linked above, and the first below) the smaller rear sprocket is hidden, so it's not clear what's going on.  In the rear view (the second below) you can see that the inner sprocket is smaller.  The two sprockets rotate in opposite directions, so the one whose ratchet catches depends on the way that you pedal ("forwards" or "backwards") - both drive the bike forwards, but with different gear ratios.  Neat, if two ratios will do you, I guess (the front dérailleur makes it four, of course).

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2609 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:11 »

Whudunwhatnow? That sounds awesome in concept but I like being able to adjust the position of the pedals by pedaling backwards, so it's not for me.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #2610 on: 01 Jan 2014, 16:16 »

The biggest mechanical problem with retrodirects, FWIW, is not keeping the chain tensioned.

It's not even getting two freewheels on one hub, one backwards.

It's making sure the pedals, crankset, and bottom bracket don't come apart from the bidirectional pedaling forces, as I understand. You get to epoxy (especially the pedals) or loctite the crap out of everything.

And, yes, it does prevent you from adjusting the position of the pedals by pedaling backwards at a stop. However, unlike a fixie, you CAN adjust them while you're still rolling. I occasionally ride a coaster brake bike, which has the same problem, and after the first couple of stops, I get used to it and remember to leave the pedals in the right place.

And, it acts as a parking brake of sorts - the freewheels will bind up and prevent the bike from rolling backwards at all.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2611 on: 01 Jan 2014, 17:00 »

Too many potential mechanical issues.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2612 on: 01 Jan 2014, 19:12 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2613 on: 02 Jan 2014, 01:34 »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2614 on: 02 Jan 2014, 01:45 »

Too many potential mechanical issues.
Not to mention bio-mechanical issues. You can achieve a similar effect using a specially geared bottom-bracket bearing. I am uncertain why you would want to though; especially if you ride with toe-clips, foot-straps, clipless retention etc. that allow you to exert power over most of the pedal-arc. I suspect that the best fore-aft position of the bottom-bracket would not be the same for pedalling backwards as forwards.

Very fundamentally, we pedal bicycles mainly with the same muscles and neural programming that we developed to run. Before you decide to pedal backwards, you should ask if you would be faster running backwards.

If all you want is to put two gears on a fixie, without getting your hands dirty with a flip-flop hub, one of the two-speed bottom-brackets might be a better choice.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #2615 on: 02 Jan 2014, 02:19 »

Well, a retrodirect can't be a fixie, it works by being a freewheel setup. And shifting on a flip-flop hub is a lot different and far less convenient than shifting a retrodirect.

Retrodirects came about because they were a LOT cheaper to make than any other gearing system, I'd assume, while still giving convenient ratio changes. And this was before derailleur setups were really practical (although the original retrodirects did actually have a front derailleur), and internal gear hubs would've been expensive.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2616 on: 02 Jan 2014, 03:19 »

Apologies, I think the original retro-direct image showed up on review of my posting as it was in my cache.

Retro-directs were patented back in 1903 by Hirondelle, back in the cycling technology boom of rod shift derailluers and boot clips. Back then it was innovative and, to a degree, practical and economical. Back in those days there weren't worldwide, wholesalers and distributors so a lot of technological developments and therefore availability came as regional developments. The originals only had one front chain ring though and the tensioner was static as it didn't need to move.

I'd love to have a go on one but can't see that I would want to ride one for any length of time. Drew Buck completed PBP on one in 2007 and found it pretty tough going. He had to put in a lot of assessment and forethought into each bit of hill to decide if it would be worth the change over.

Akima, I think there have been some difficulties with Schlumpfs on fixed wheel although I can't remember exactly why. I think not brilliantly compatible though. I'm tempted to look at setting up a 44x17 by 39x20 by use of a Surly Dingle an see how that goes. Not necessarily a clean change over of gears but potentially a bit quicker and easier than flipping the wheel. Of course I think Sheldon Brown put together a four speed fixed by building in an offside drive and carrying a second chain.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #2617 on: 02 Jan 2014, 04:26 »

Apparently there's some lash in the Schlumpf bicycle bottom brackets, which would hurt it for fixed gear applications. And it may not tolerate shifting under load that well? The Patterson Metropolis, the nearest competitor, freewheels at the crank, so it isn't suitable either.

There is always the Sturmey-Archer S3X, though. 3 speed fixed gear hub, although I hear they're not tolerant of trick riding abuse.

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
« Reply #2618 on: 02 Jan 2014, 04:57 »

Cute :) Is she wearing a wig? (that "WIG" attached note) Or is that something that I'm not understanding?

Also.. because I'm obsessed with her:

There was a thread on another forum asking who you would spend new year's with, if it could be anyone from anything (tv, movie, game, book, etc.) living or dead. Anyone care to give their answer? :)  Obviously.. it would be the above for me.. Dizzy from Guilty Gear series.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2014, 05:05 by kyomi »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2619 on: 02 Jan 2014, 05:42 »

Guilty gear was a fun game when I was in college.  Liked playing as Kliff (sp?) the guy with the giant spear that makes him look old when he used it even though he was a young man.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

kyomi

« Reply #2620 on: 02 Jan 2014, 05:59 »

Guilty Gear was such an original game for me.. there is nothing like it. A lot of neat story behind every character and many unique characters.  I have the new Guilty Gear on PS3 but I have no one to play with.. else I go online and get creamed in the first 2 seconds :/

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #2621 on: 02 Jan 2014, 06:23 »

There was a thread on another forum asking who you would spend new year's with, if it could be anyone from anything (tv, movie, game, book, etc.) living or dead. Anyone care to give their answer? :)  Obviously.. it would be the above for me.. Dizzy from Guilty Gear series.

Emma Watson. Because I think she's an amazing and classy woman.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2622 on: 02 Jan 2014, 06:46 »

Who I could spend new years with.... living or dead? Living only Jennifer Lawrence, she seems like the kinda girl who appreciates my level of slightly pathetic humor. Dead... hmmm.... Mikhail Kalashnikov, Mark Twain or Nikolai Tesla for obvious reasons. Fictional... Rogue Squadron from the X-wing books. They remind me of my squadron AND they have space ships. I am IN.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2623 on: 02 Jan 2014, 07:01 »

Corran Horn is alright and all but I'd rather hang out with the original Rogue Squadron commanded by Luke and Wedge.  :-P

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2624 on: 02 Jan 2014, 07:17 »

Corran's my bro. Plus Wedge and the guys are still there.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2625 on: 02 Jan 2014, 07:31 »

Don't get me wrong, Corran is awesome, but he's no Luke Skywalker (wink wink, first few lines of X Wing:Rogue Squadron)

my big reason is because the original rogue squadron took place when the rebel alliance was going through some rougher stuff than new rogue squadron.  The Empire is still around and they (new rogue squadron) fly against and with their version of the red baron (Kirtan Lor I think his name is?) but the new rogue squadron had way more clout and resources than old rogue squadron.  I just like that kind of struggle and circumstances that old rogue squadron had to face.  The rebels are a fledgling force where as during new rogue squadron's time, systems were in open revolt and/or completely free of the Empire.  Sadly there isnt much material aside from the rogue squadron games and I think there was a comic book series from a long time ago but I'm not really a comic book guy.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2626 on: 02 Jan 2014, 07:33 »

Living; Derren Brown, Ned Boulting, Jenny Jones, Lauren Laverne. The list could go quite a bit bigger but I reckon that would make for a pretty well rounded evening.
Dead; My grandparents on my mothers side, who I never met.
Fictional: Jack Shaftoe and Eliza de la Zeur from Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2627 on: 02 Jan 2014, 07:40 »

Drinks cabinet

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2628 on: 02 Jan 2014, 08:19 »

FINISH HIM!

kyomi

« Reply #2629 on: 02 Jan 2014, 10:37 »

Drinks cabinet

[img]

Yeah.. but does it move? :)

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2630 on: 02 Jan 2014, 10:40 »

What, a runaway drinks cabinet that shoots lasers from it's eyes and falls over at the first sign of an insurrection?

Why would that be a good thing?  :psyduck: :mrgreen: :-)

kyomi

« Reply #2631 on: 02 Jan 2014, 12:01 »

Maybe a good thing for alcoholics? ;)

Also.. that sports quote is priceless.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2632 on: 02 Jan 2014, 12:42 »

Let's not forget about the real hero of 2013
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2014, 14:47 by LeeC »

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #2633 on: 02 Jan 2014, 15:06 »

Every time I read about ole Supes moving the planet out of the way, it makes me think of this Seanbaby page where he talks about what Superman moving the earth would look like to someone standing hear him; like some guy in pantyhose doing a handstand. That mental image always makes me laugh.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2634 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:44 »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2635 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:51 »

Cute :) Is she wearing a wig? (that "WIG" attached note) Or is that something that I'm not understanding?
She is moé Chiang Kai-Shek. Chiang habitually shaved his head.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2636 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:53 »

m...Mao
You mean Chairman Moé?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2637 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:06 »

terrible pun Method

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2638 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:07 »

Just a typical smoke detector. Or is it?

Pull open the lid to check the battery and look what you find…

The perfect point for securing my slave when she needs a good flogging… Or maybe just needs to be immobilized while my fingers do the walking…

Either way, this is the perfect way to help conceal our lifestyle choice from prying eyes of visitors who might not understand our relationship.

It took me a while to stumble upon this idea, but I had this installed in a few short hours of work one weekend. Let the fun BEGIN!!!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2639 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:08 »

terrible pun Method

Watch that first step, it's a doozy! (Also come on that pun was unavoidable)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2640 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:11 »

@Blue Kitty: thats got to be for a sex swing!  :-o

@Method: will do

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2641 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:14 »

Well done.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2642 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:22 »

(last one, I swears to myself :-D )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2643 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:24 »

SO HURRY UP WITH HIS DAMN CROISSANTS!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2645 on: 02 Jan 2014, 20:29 »

(last one, I swears to myself :-D )
"When someone asks you if you are a god, you say YES!"
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #2646 on: 02 Jan 2014, 21:07 »

http://www.businessinsider.com/military-phrases-2013-12

Definitely has a Corps slant to it, but most of those get used on the daily here in the Army as well. We just call it the E4 Mafia instead of the Lance Corporal underground. I've also never heard anybody say "back on the block".

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2647 on: 02 Jan 2014, 21:26 »

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2648 on: 02 Jan 2014, 22:00 »

posted the dog and human one on page 50 there Method.  :roll:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2649 on: 02 Jan 2014, 22:14 »

Well it's so nice it was posted twice :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 97   Go Up