THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 06:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what should Marigold wear to her "date" with Dale? (Sorry, "Nothing" is not an option.)

YAOI ZONE Shirt
- 4 (4.2%)
NUYASHA Shirt
- 1 (1%)
SCIENCE IS A VERB NOW Shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
HORDE RULES shirt
- 10 (10.4%)
JOCO shirt
- 1 (1%)
DIREN GREY shirt
- 0 (0%)
I <3 HARUHI hoodie
- 1 (1%)
EVA-01 shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
WHITE WORDS ON BLACK SHIRT
- 7 (7.3%)
XKCD shirt (Ankthar: :P )
- 6 (6.3%)
"Magical Maid Marigold-chan" outfit
- 8 (8.3%)
meh. shirt
- 1 (1%)
ANIMEW shirt
- 0 (0%)
WOW NRRD shirt
- 1 (1%)
The White Dress
- 2 (2.1%)
Michael Palin black shirt (HA!!!)
- 0 (0%)
Sarah Palin blue shirt
- 1 (1%)
The Tank Top (!)
- 7 (7.3%)
Black Hoodie (goes with everything)
- 2 (2.1%)
LUCKY star hoodie
- 0 (0%)
Homer Simpson outline shirt
- 0 (0%)
GEEK (Save Ends) shirt
- 0 (0%)
I <3 GAWWUS (or is it SEFIROSU~?) shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
All My Vices Are Devices shirt
- 8 (8.3%)
69 sideways shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
The Infamous Bikini
- 11 (11.5%)
ANIME shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
SUBS DUBS shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
Something else
- 3 (3.1%)
Nothing at all. Nothing at all! NOTHING AT ALL!
- 10 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2558-2562 (21-25 October 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 40468 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

130 really isn't much of a bench. Though to be fair Mr. Reed is quite scrawny.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

To be fair, she never specified one gee. He should've offered to bench press her then and there :parrot:

That's quite a good point. Perhaps the good lieutenant was testing, not so much his physical strength, but his ability to see the world around him and put two and two together in a reasonable amount of time.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Oh Maribear

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

NB: It's just Marbear.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

I know, I know

Still .....
James The Kugai 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

If Momo was the type to give Marigold polite "smacks" on the leg every time she put her foot in her mouth, Marigold would have trouble walking - and a permanent welt on her leg.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Oh Marigold T_T
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Signing a companionship contract with Momo may have been the best decision of Marigirl's life.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Hopefully having a chaperone makes it less awkward for both of them.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

130 really isn't much of a bench. Though to be fair Mr. Reed is quite scrawny.

So much so that he couldn't hold up Hannelore when she passed out.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Momo may be trying too hard here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Definitely.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish
  • I ♥ van Laarhoven lenticuloid families!
    • Chirex Formens/Chirex Ialtens
Quote from: Anne McCaffrey
Honor those the dragons heed
In thought and favor, word and deed.
Worlds are lost or worlds are saved
From those dangers dragon-braved.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I am offended that QC will stoop to the "nerds are smelly" trope.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

But it's subverting it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

well, poor hygiene habits have always been a hallmark of marigold's character, which i think is related more to her depression and low self-esteem than nerdiness.

Signing a companionship contract with Momo may have been the best decision of Marigirl's life.
one must wonder though, if the poor little 'bot had any idea of what she was signing on for.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Either Momo is pushing her social protocol database to its limits, or is "creatively misinterpreting" it to get some results.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Ok, this is becoming painful to watch. The Picard face palm pic doesn't cover this, it needs the Picard and Riker double face palm.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

Ok, this is becoming painful to watch. The Picard face palm pic doesn't cover this, it needs the Picard and Riker double face palm.

This.

Midwesterner

• Plantmonster

I'm not a fan of this whole potential date romance thing here. I'm sort of hoping it all goes spectacularly wrong and we get back to the coffee shop soon.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Momo may be trying too hard here.
Definitely.

Just a little bit.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

well, poor hygiene habits have always been a hallmark of marigold's character, which i think is related more to her depression and low self-esteem than nerdiness.

Also worth noting: It's not a given that Dale is reacting to Marigold's hygiene. It's a given that Marigold is *assuming* he is.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I am offended that QC will stoop to the "nerds are smelly" trope.

Long ago established she had a big hygene issue...it's right from the first arc with her.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Yup - she is a girl in transition.
Before MoMo Mama Jama couldn't get her to either eat right or clean up after herself.
It took the help of unlooked for friends and combat level hazmat remediation to get things cleaned up and her on the road to joining the outside world.

Remember she is still on her first faltering steps even though she has come this far already.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Re: trying too hard -- yes, clearly so. On the other hand nothing else may work.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

ok marigold, you can do this. you're on a couch, with a boy, watching anime. just breathe and think back to everything you've learned.

that's right, you must touch him on the wiener.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Careful now. The story may be going that way but don't go faster than the story does.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

If this arc was like a car.

You would find yourself parked in the mall parking lot at high noon on Black Friday / Christmas Eve.
It would be an early model Citroen with cable-stitched wool seat covers.
Equipped with a manual transmission with stripped gears and a clutch full of scutterbotch pudding ...... mmmm pudding ......
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013, 12:21 by Thrudd »

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

ok marigold, you can do this. you're on a couch, with a boy, watching anime. just breathe and think back to everything you've learned.

that's right, you must touch him on the wiener.

They are SO far from the "touch him on the wiener" part right now the gap between that point and where they are might as well be the Atlantic Ocean.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If they shake hands in an awkward good night and say something banal about the anime, this date will have been a brilliant success.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Or be wide enough for a Starship to take five days to cross at Warp 5
James The Kugai 

Tulpa

• Balloon animal serial killer

Do AnthroPCs get tired and want to sit down, or do they sit down to fit in with humans? Clearly Momo is doing it here as an attempt to get them closer because they're as far apart as possible while still being on the couch. But it raises a good question.

Do AnthroPCs interact with the world the same as people do? They could see things way differently. Their color settings could be wrong, or they could see ultraviolet lights and infrared and stuff. Can they feel?

Also, touching his wiener in front of Momo would be like doing it in front of the family dog. Except it's a talking dog that can say "OKAY, I'M GOING TO THE OTHER ROOM NOW"

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

To answer the first question, the answer would be yes. We have seen in the past [archive-foo failed to initiate] that they do rest sleep. Heck they dream as has been shown in the past for our two main AnthroPC characters. [quote Momo bwuh+blush ]
The reasoning for downtime is not so much physical since we don't see anyone sitting in a charging station [it is mostly off screen like eating cereal, bathing or pooping]  but mental and for the same reasons other higher function Intelligence systems need downtime. [maintenance and archiving]

As for the touching of some else's wiener, leave that for the kitchen and she should use tongs once they are properly heated up.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Also, touching his wiener in front of Momo would be like doing it in front of the family dog. Except it's a talking dog that can say "OKAY, I'M GOING TO THE OTHER ROOM NOW"

The thing about dogs is, they're HAPPY when you have sex in front of them. They know damned well what it's all about, and their little doggie brains are thinking "Oh boy! Puppies soon!" (Even if there's no chance of that.)

AnthroPCs would have reactions depending on personality. Pintsize would... well, we all know how THAT would go. Momo would just roll her eyes, mutter something under her breath about rabbits, and walk away.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

To answer the first question, the answer would be yes. We have seen in the past [archive-foo failed to initiate] that they do rest sleep. Heck they dream as has been shown in the past for our two main AnthroPC characters. [quote Momo bwuh+blush ]
The reasoning for downtime is not so much physical since we don't see anyone sitting in a charging station [it is mostly off screen like eating cereal, bathing or pooping]  but mental and for the same reasons other higher function Intelligence systems need downtime. [maintenance and archiving]

I don't know what's funnier, that you typed all that with an Emily avatar or that it actually makes sense  :-D

As for the touching of some else's wiener, leave that for the kitchen and she should use tongs once they are properly heated up.

...Pint Size really needs to stop bringing over his toys.  :laugh:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Word of God is that AnthroPCs need sleep, despite what Momo said.

There was once a sign on CoD's baked goods cabinet that said "USE THE FUCKING TONGS". Presumably the fucking tongs are the ones with which one should touch a wiener.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster
  • You Left the Toilet Seat Up Again, You Bastard

First time posting. Just wanted to throw in my two cents about Marigold's behaviour throughout this whole arc with Dale and why she has seemingly forgotten about the whole peace offering thing. My theory is that she took her cue entirely from how Faye and Angus used to snark at one another in the beginning. I get this impression from this strip when Marigold confronts Faye about 'fighting' with Angus over her music selection (curiously, it's titled "Switching Sides".  Her behaviour in People are Funny" also supports this theory).  Both of these strips follow on the heels of her second confrontation with Dale in this strip where Marten quips that he wasn't sure if they were flirting or fighting-- a line that gets reinforced and repeated every time these two are seen interacting and other people are around. If Marigold is attempting to (poorly) adopt Faye's strategy in landing her man, it certainly explains why she seemed to get over the whole Faye/Angus thing so quickly.  She tells Hanners about she's over it in #1692, and the panels that immediately follow are her first in-game confrontation with Dale and the infamous "this one has potential" line. 

In which case, it makes sense to me as to why she's being so weirdly rude and confrontational with him despite the peace offering. I don't think she's forgotten. I think that, between anime, her lack of social skills and experience in the 'what to do when you like a boy' department, she's following the one flirting formula she's seen work from up close and personal-- Faye's!

« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013, 13:48 by YourEvilExGirlfriend »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Nice first post! Welcome to the forums!
Just another Joe like 46

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Now I have to go archive-diving! Noooo!

Ah, who am I kidding. I'd probably have done it anyway. Hi!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Very nice entry to the forum, and very nice screen name as well! I guess that makes you Mae Whitman aka Ann Veal aka...her? (Arrested Development joke, people who don't get it should probably just move along)
Word of God is that AnthroPCs need sleep, despite what Momo said.
Which leaves several possibilities, amongst which are Momo lying, Momo being unusual, Momo needing sleep, but not every night, or Jeph simply being wrong.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened

YourEvilExGirlfriend has shamed me and my very uninspired entry to these forums many moons ago. I go now to die and regain my honor.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ha, I was pretty under the radar for a few months. Then I decided to make the WCDTs for a while, and I think that's what made me a regular. We all have our ways of entering the forum, but it's how you stay that matters, and I can't imagine the forum without ya, GM. (That's not to undermine YEEG's first post, which I will say again was awesome)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person, and that's a fascinating insight which makes perfect sense.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster

Thanks for the welcome, guys.  :) I'm just following your lead. I always enjoyed reading everyone's insights/theories/speculations on the story in the forum, never had anything to contribute of my own until now.

And now it seems you got me on a roll.

Just to comment on the whole helmet joke from Monday's strip and why Dale might've not noticed he was still wearing it... I read that as an indicator that he was just as nervous as Marigold about this whole night. Sometimes when you're excited about something, you get absent-minded about things that you'd normally notice. (I once showed up to a friend's party, sober as a judge, in two different shoes. They weren't even the same height. I have no idea how I missed that but I did).

Also, as a side note, gotta say how I never noticed how great Jeph is at conveying the body language of all his characters. I was going back through the archives as I was trying to find the strips I linked and I never really appreciated how all the subtle shifts in expression and posture contributed to the scene. I'm hyper-aware of it this week-- probably because the best way you can convey awwwwwwkward is through body language.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013, 18:58 by YourEvilExGirlfriend »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Methinks you're going to fit in 'round here.

Feel free to use the intro subforum to Introduce yourself to us (and hold on to your lug wrench).
Just another Joe like 46

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

YourEvilExGirlfriend has shamed me and my very uninspired entry to these forums many moons ago. I go now to die and regain my honor.
ex girlfriends can do that sometimes

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster

Methinks you're going to fit in 'round here.

Feel free to use the intro subforum to Introduce yourself to us (and hold on to your lug wrench).

Haha. Thanks. And sure thing. (Lug wrenches are the only way to accessorize!)

Also, pertaining to tonight's comic, d'awwwww.  Dale totally loses his cool around Marigold.  Clever how Jeph set up that contrast with the coffee shop and Faye. You know when Faye doesn't faze you, but the curvy nerdy WOW chick does, you've got it bad.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013, 20:46 by YourEvilExGirlfriend »

GarandMarine

• Awakened

*Preemptively melts YEEG's lug wrench*

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster

*Preemptively melts YEEG's lug wrench*

*Reforges it in the fire of Mount Doom, sending three rings to the elven kings, seven for the dwarf lords....*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up