THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 Jun 2024, 13:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread. - A  (Read 203968 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Re: Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread. - A
« Reply #250 on: 12 May 2009, 01:15 »

the word pimp has come to mean many things other than the intended blah blah etc

I know, and I don't like that it has because it's just fucking atrocious.  Like, I know that in any language there is change and all that jazz, but seriously people.

"Dude, I am such a pimp.  I totally raped this girl last night, then beat her up and took all her dough"
"What the hell man, you fucking nuts?"
"What?  I'm just saying, I am a cool guy because I had sex with a hot girl and took her to dinner and the movies and for some reason she insisted on paying.  What the shit man, get with the lingo"

No, fuck you, speak properly.  I am getting sick to fucking death of this shit.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #251 on: 12 May 2009, 01:18 »

I mean, it's not an example of a healthy language evolving to meet new challenges, it's just an example of a bunch of fucking morons using horrible words in a positive fashion.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #252 on: 12 May 2009, 01:43 »

I don't remember "rape" becoming synonymous with "have sex with" though
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #253 on: 12 May 2009, 01:44 »

ITT Est inadvertently leaks even more terrifying information about the state of Australian culture
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #254 on: 12 May 2009, 02:01 »

It is an issue dividing our nation on a roughly 98.9:100 ratio.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #255 on: 12 May 2009, 07:06 »

I got new cardigans! A white one and a grey one, both the same. This is what I wore today, white cardigan + grey skinny jeans + green singlet top with lace + green cons. Am I doing it right? I think so.

I like the cardigan! You can pull of white very well and I'm happy to see that people still wear cardigans that actually fit.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

St.Germain

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #256 on: 12 May 2009, 20:14 »

Regarding my questionable red shirt, I now realize I forgot to mention I made it for the Renaissance Fair, at which I wore it, and the black top, with a long black shirt. The jeans are just what I was wearing at the time. I have a pic of the whole Ren Fair outfit on my camera, but my home computer hates me right now, so I can't get it off the camera.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #257 on: 13 May 2009, 14:28 »

I got new cardigans! A white one and a grey one, both the same. This is what I wore today, white cardigan + grey skinny jeans + green singlet top with lace + green cons. Am I doing it right? I think so.

I like the cardigan! You can pull of white very well and I'm happy to see that people still wear cardigans that actually fit.

Yay! Thank you! I never used to be able to pull of white, what with the blonde hair and all, but ever since I've been a brunette it is totally doable. Also, I like my cardigans to fit properly and be long enough to hide my hands in if it's cold. These fit that category!
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #258 on: 13 May 2009, 16:03 »

It's your colouring, Jamie. You can do more bright colours and gem tones now that you have dark hair, and I have to say personally that it suits you much better than blonde (no offense to your genes). With light hair I think you were more of a spring? and that is mostly pastels and light neutrals, which can sometimes get a little boring. (White is not a pastel or a neutral, by the way.)

Good sweater!
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #259 on: 13 May 2009, 22:32 »

Yeah, I hated the blonde too, don't worry. I am much more comfortable as a brunette and didn't feel like waiting until it went that colour naturally. I enjoy being able to wear so many more colours now! I can actually wear lighter colours that I couldn't wear before because they just made me look washed out. Dark green and dark blue are colours I could never wear before and I seem to suit them now too.

I agree with you, pastels and light neutrals do get boring. I like have more choice now.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #260 on: 15 May 2009, 08:00 »

Hm. Fashion thread, what kind of jackets are appropriate to wear with khaki pants when it's warm out, but not warm enough for t-shirts? I kinda need something long-sleeved to wear with them, as, well, I'm in Norway, but my spring/summer jacket is a black thing that I find looks rather silly with khakis?

I do not have orange and dark blue doors by choice.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #261 on: 15 May 2009, 10:11 »

My bf just got some SUPER PRETTY Oxfords from Value Village, I will try to take a picture and post them. He also has some killer leather ankle boots with skull buckles (it sounds cheesey but it isn't!) which I have been infatuated with for like years now.
I like the way you work it.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #262 on: 15 May 2009, 11:20 »

I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #263 on: 15 May 2009, 11:58 »

black shoes.

Also what the hell is "british cut"?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #264 on: 15 May 2009, 12:10 »

Any black shoes?

Actually that would be totally awsome
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #265 on: 15 May 2009, 12:26 »

any black shoes [/i]

(by the way, I just spend a few minutes yelling at image shack because it wouldn't accept my user name....and then I realized I have a photobucket account)
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #266 on: 15 May 2009, 13:14 »

I would like that top suit... where did you get the image from?

Also guys, what is everyone's views on leather jackets? Good, bad or indifferent?
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #267 on: 15 May 2009, 13:18 »

Well not this weekend but the weekend after I am going shopping with some of my housemates and they sort of want to get me a leather jacket, I am sort of against the whole enterprise but I wondered what you guys think.

Erm the person is me basically, middlish height, short brown hair, growing a beard/clean shaven and somewhat thin face. Thats about all... I am sure there are pictures of me on the site somewhere. Just imagine that with a leather jacket, probably a black one.

I just wanted to get thoughts in general on jackets too just for the future.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #268 on: 15 May 2009, 13:24 »

Depends on the jacket itself, I'd just make sure that the jackets fits snug, wearing it loose just looks trashy in my opinion. Also, posting your picture might help.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #269 on: 15 May 2009, 17:54 »

Yeah Leather Jackets are tricksy. I have a lovely fitted, slightly cropped faux leather jacket with a diagonal zip that is falling apart and I wanted to buy something similar in actual leather. I've been looking for months and nothing. There's leather blazers, big rough Harley biker leathers, small colourful sportsbike leathers, leather bomber jackets, leather Matrix coats, leather trenches...
I figure the best way to find one that suits you is try on lots in front of a mirror, take pictures, get opinions, then go back and buy the best one. (It is how I bought my winter coat a couple of years ago on this forum, but not how I bought this year's winter coat because I simply fell in love with it and bought it that second. If this happens to you with a Leather Jacket go for it.)

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #270 on: 15 May 2009, 19:20 »

Dang, I love my leather jacket. It is green! I bought it in Berlin in 2004, I think, in a second hand store for about 15 euros. It is the best jacket. It is also at least 30 years old.

here it is:

It is an old picture and you can see Franz Beckenbauer oin the background!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #271 on: 15 May 2009, 20:13 »

I would say that everyone should have a leather jacket. The cut and colour and style, of course, would depend on the person, but wearing leather has been a thing for like thousands of years for a reason. Actually lots of reasons.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #272 on: 15 May 2009, 20:51 »

I have a leather jacket that I wear as my winter coat. As long as I zip it up and snap it all the way, it keeps me warm in weather well below freezing. I just need to remember a hat when I am wearing it in the cold, because it doesn't have a hood. The downside is that I can't wear it in the warm weather. Need to find another one, I guess. One without insulation.

In other words, leather jackets are pretty much awesome, as long as you aren't a member of PETA.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

nobo

« Reply #273 on: 15 May 2009, 21:14 »

I got a button up leather jacket, but its so warm in north carolina that I never wear it anymore.

btw. this photo is 6 years old.

Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #274 on: 15 May 2009, 21:16 »

HANG ON

?
?
???
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #275 on: 15 May 2009, 21:18 »

PETA can suck it. I used to know someone through a historical society I worked with who practiced leather tanning, and he seemed to believe that most tanners get the skins either as castoffs from meat plants (or are, y'know, allotted for when the cows are raised for slaughter) or are acquired when a cow is put down, the way you'd put down an older dog or cat who is no longer living a good quality life, because with something as useful as leather it would be a shame to let a perfectly good hide go to waste.

It is kind of the same thing where a friend of mine in Japan had a friend whose parents knew someone (or whatever) who made shamisens. They were first covered in rice paper, but sometime in their history someone discovered that catskin sounds better. This of course sounds horrible, and I'm sure there are still questionable places in Japan that don't go about this very nicely, but my Japanese friend said that as far as she knew, shamisen-makers get the skins from the pound after the animals are put down.

So anyway! I guess my point is that not everyone tortures animals even though they use their skins for things, although I guess if you are a member of PETA you probably also think that eating meat is cruel, too, so this is probably a pointless post.

öde

« Reply #276 on: 16 May 2009, 02:55 »

I don't think people that are against leather are against it for the cruelty aspects, but mainly as it's a by-product of the meat industry. A lot of the vegetarian/vegans I know are more practical regarding things that would otherwise go to waste. Furs are more the target of meat eaters (well, not necessarily but your post seemed directed at people that ate meat but don't want animals to suffer) who don't want the cute little animals to be raised and slaughtered. I'm also pretty certain most people on this forum either actively dislike or don't care about PETA, probably because they're hypocritical wastes of time. But anyway, how 'bout that fashion!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #277 on: 16 May 2009, 03:15 »

I wear a baggy leather jacket; and I like it even if you do not.  I bought it in Florence, at the leather market.

(sorry for poor quality)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #278 on: 16 May 2009, 04:23 »

I have three leather jackets (four if suede counts as leather) and they are some of my favourite things ever. I posted the newest acquisition earlier but my others are equally good if different in style.

and

I don't much like the harley davidson type biker jackets unless you're actually riding one, you'll just end up looking like the Fonz.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #279 on: 16 May 2009, 06:35 »

Lunchy, I saw a heap of jackets similar to you one (kind of a cross between yours and mine) in places like Dotti and Jay Jays today. Just Jeans too, I think. I don't know how real the leather was on some of them, but they all seemed to cost around $120, so I am guessing kinda real?
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

nobo

« Reply #280 on: 16 May 2009, 06:44 »

Jimmy,

i'm a huge fan of the winnie the pooh pillow cover.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #281 on: 16 May 2009, 07:50 »

Jimmy, you're the best.

Re fur and leather: If it comes from an animal that I'm gonna eat or died because it was old, etc, ok. If it's coming from an animal that is solely raised to be killed and then skinned, hell no. Also most fur coats are ugly. Leather coats are pretty awesome if the cut looks good on you.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #282 on: 16 May 2009, 08:37 »

Rob, I looked through your old posts to get an idea of what you look like, and I think you could pull off a variety of leather jackets. I think brown is more your colour than black though, I don't see black complimenting your skin much. You got good shoulders for it. On that note, introduce more colours to your wardrobe, dude! I'd say you're a spring, but you're dressing like seasons ain't existing and all that's left is black, like our cold dead hearts.

On the topic of leather, I bought this jacket today for £8.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #283 on: 16 May 2009, 09:15 »

THAT is a good jacket
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #284 on: 16 May 2009, 12:31 »

I like that jacket so much I would ask it to prom.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #285 on: 16 May 2009, 15:40 »

I have a leather jacket that is pretty similar to that but the collar is not as cool.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #286 on: 16 May 2009, 18:48 »

Jimmy,

Winnie der Pooh ist Krieg
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #287 on: 16 May 2009, 23:43 »

Re fur and leather: If it comes from an animal that I'm gonna eat or died because it was old, etc, ok. If it's coming from an animal that is solely raised to be killed and then skinned, hell no.

How do you know?

ackblom12

« Reply #288 on: 17 May 2009, 02:10 »

Typically, it depends on what animal it was made from. Leather is very likely to be cattle, which I can guarantee you will always be made from cattle raised for meat or at the very least dairy.

If it's mink, well... shit.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #289 on: 17 May 2009, 02:39 »

Mmmmm delicious mink

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #290 on: 17 May 2009, 06:50 »

Jimmy,

Winnie der Pooh ist Krieg

Also, nice Morris Iemma poster. Your smiles are eerily similar in that photo.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

iamiam

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #291 on: 19 May 2009, 18:57 »

hey bitches, here is some fashion advice for you

you're welcome
Quote from: meebo
[11:09] Darryl: MaiAda: the Beat Happening of the QC boards
[11:10] Darryl: so subtly subversive that not everybody can even tell
[11:10] Darryl: punk as fuck
[11:10] Darryl: ponies and rainbows

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #292 on: 19 May 2009, 19:07 »

Zebra shoes
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #293 on: 19 May 2009, 20:02 »

jesus christ Mai.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #294 on: 19 May 2009, 22:02 »

Mai I was pretty sure before that you were hotter than I am, but your haircut and the peeking-out tattoo just like seals the deal.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #295 on: 20 May 2009, 00:20 »

Requesting better shots of the hair plz

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #296 on: 20 May 2009, 19:21 »

Am I doing it right?

Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #297 on: 20 May 2009, 19:53 »

where did you even get a my chemical romance shirt
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #298 on: 20 May 2009, 20:02 »

More importantly, who's room are you in in that second pic?

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #299 on: 20 May 2009, 20:03 »

For $1 at goodwill, how do you NOT buy it? Also, I like pink and pretty things. Fuck you, Gene.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 97   Go Up