THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 05 Jun 2024, 18:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 92   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: The Guitar Topic - B  (Read 163367 times)

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
Re: Re: The Guitar Topic - B
« Reply #450 on: 11 Jul 2009, 19:14 »

I really don't think an emission would make for a good compliment considering where a guitar is placed.
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #451 on: 11 Jul 2009, 20:41 »

That is a flat fantastic guitar, Patrick. 

I have two Kay guitars (one is actually a Penncrest) but I love them both and I really do like their tone.  They are both from about 1966-1967, just before Kay went out of business. 

I envy you the use of the 1937 Kay.  Post recordings of it, if you can. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Touch Me Im Sick

• Street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm
« Reply #452 on: 11 Jul 2009, 22:47 »

I really don't think an emission would make for a good compliment considering where a guitar is placed.

I wear a rubber at all times, it's a neccessity

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #453 on: 12 Jul 2009, 05:48 »

It's finally installed yesssssssssss.

« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2009, 05:56 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

NotAFanOfFenders

• The German Chancellory building
  • even furrier
« Reply #454 on: 12 Jul 2009, 10:15 »

*Boink*

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #455 on: 12 Jul 2009, 10:17 »

When a guitar walks in with two P-90 pickups
And a Bigsby in your face
You get
SPRUNG

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #456 on: 12 Jul 2009, 10:55 »

The guy at the shop pulled it out of the bag, and I was like "Oh god, that looks so badass."

I'm loving it, so far. I'll record a demo sometime this week for you guys.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Zingoleb

« Reply #457 on: 13 Jul 2009, 00:40 »

Hey guys, I want to ask y'all a question

On my acoustic, I have a problem with the tuning keys. That is, they break off. It's happened twice now, I got one of them fixed, and another one pre-fixed so it wouldn't break, but another is about to snap. I can tell.

I'm trying to look on the Fender site to see if I can order a set of replacement keys (as I'd like to replace them all, preferably), but can't seem to find anywhere to order them. Where's a good place to order them?

I was looking up Fender, by the way, in the hopes that I could put in the model name and get the exact tuning keys I needed.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #458 on: 13 Jul 2009, 00:55 »

My dad gets most of his guitar stuff off of this site. I would be very

Here's the exact link http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners.html
Get off my land

Zingoleb

« Reply #459 on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:01 »

You would be very...what? Worried? Scared? Constipated?

Thanks for the links, though.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #460 on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:02 »

I have no idea what I was planning on typing there. None at all.
Get off my land

Zingoleb

« Reply #461 on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:07 »

Holy shit I need money badly

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #462 on: 13 Jul 2009, 03:55 »

I buy a fair amount of stuff from StewMac myself.  If you're looking to shop on a budget, however, that ain't the place to do it. 

http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/suppliers.htm

There's a list to get you started of parts suppliers.  There are a ton of others out there too that a little bit of googling will turn up.  The place I buy my tuners and pots at isn't listed at all, and for the life of me, I can't find them in my bookmarks right now.  Obviously, I need more coffee.  Also remember, when you're buying tools, you can probably find those a hell of a lot cheaper someplace else.   Just because it says 'nut' or 'fret' file, doesn't meant that's what it really is.  Skip the middle man whenever you can.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #463 on: 13 Jul 2009, 04:09 »

Ebay as well would be an idea.
Get off my land

Zingoleb

« Reply #464 on: 13 Jul 2009, 21:06 »

How/what do I measure to make sure I'm getting the right size?

(As much as I know about playing guitar, I'm totally ignorant on the mechanics of one)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #465 on: 14 Jul 2009, 02:47 »

That is a flat fantastic guitar, Patrick. 

I have two Kay guitars (one is actually a Penncrest) but I love them both and I really do like their tone.  They are both from about 1966-1967, just before Kay went out of business. 

I envy you the use of the 1937 Kay.  Post recordings of it, if you can. 

Thanks! She belongs to my old man. If I could choose any one thing to inherit when he inevitably passes on, I'd skip his Mustang, I'd skip his airplane, I'd skip even his ridiculously well-preserved vinyl collection if it were necessary to have that guitar. This guitar taught my dad most of what he knows about guitar playing, and it was the first I ever laid hands on, and if anybody ever hurt it, I would kill them on the spot.

I'm not sure I can post recordings of her though, because I don't think my dad'll let me take her along to the studio when I record my demo in a couple of days. But I can definitely ask! And I'll post more pics later. You guys haven't even seen the headstock emblem's shadow or the absolutely CAKED-ON grime that this guitar has built up over the years. Seriously the grime is like 1mm thick in some places.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #466 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:26 »

I might go and take pictures of all my dads old guitars. Then we can all have an old guitar orgy.
Get off my land

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #467 on: 14 Jul 2009, 15:29 »

A warning to all guitarists: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Of course considering the QC attitude to the music style in this video, there might be some who would say that United Airlines' baggage-handlers did a public service...  :evil:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #468 on: 14 Jul 2009, 16:43 »

I usually tell the airlines that I could check my guitar in it's flight case, but that I would not, under any circumstances, sign their "ain't our fault if our baggage handlers fuck up your thousand-dollar instrument" form. I watched one of the handlers in Seattle throw my Jag + case onto the little slidey ramp thing for oversize baggage, and I chewed that fucker out good. Guy's lucky I didn't ask for his supervisor. I'd have loved to crack the case over that asshole's head.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #469 on: 14 Jul 2009, 17:00 »

Thankfully, it was a Fender Jaguar, and whatever doesn't kill it makes it stronger

wespeakinmidi

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #470 on: 15 Jul 2009, 07:35 »

cool kay patrick.  i've never played an old kay acoustic that wasn't one with F holes.  theres a 1930s or 1940s kay acoustic at my local guitar center, and i've picked it up a few times.  it has a cool and pretty unique sound that doesn't sound like any of the others in the room.  i keep promising you guys pics of my stuff, and it'll happen soon.  promise. 
"A little love is like a little wine.  Too much of either will make a man sick" - john steinbeck

Beastmouth

« Reply #471 on: 16 Jul 2009, 01:11 »

nthing the word to avoid stewmac.  One thing, though, is that you def need guitar nut files if you're slotting a nut.  They're really the only specialty hardware you need for a setup, though
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

wespeakinmidi

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #472 on: 16 Jul 2009, 15:51 »

ok... this is my collection.  i own these..

if you guys want more pictures of any of these let me know... i didn't want to go too crazy with photos.. questions welcome!  i didn't bother doing my acoustics as that's a whole other project haha. i need to put together some shots of my pedal boards too..

anyway..

1974 univox highflyer... original univox pickups are long gone, dearmond gold tones were thrown in at some point.  don't let the pictures fool you, shes still pretty... but honestly the body is in rough shape, and even has weird cracks from what appears to be someone leaving it in poor temperature... however, i bought the guitar because the neck is mint, and quite frankly it still sounds amazing, and you can't stop playing nirvana songs on it.

1981 white gibson sonex 180 custom with the coil tap and dirty finger humbuckers bla bla.  this guitar is so damn heavy.  it's pretty much a bolt on neck les paul, but this guitar has some sustain has some mmmph to it.  it's naturally aged to a gorgeous yellow, and sometimes it gives me a hard on after picking it up.  true story!

:::: 1981 Gibson Sg custom.. i've played this guitar longer than any of the guitars i'm posting.. she has some dings from seeing a lot of gigs, but she's still in gorgeous shape and people constantly ask me to buy it.  i wouldn't sell it for ten thousand dollars, even though it's not worth that much.  i've picked up hundreds of other sgs.. none touch this.  haha it looks so sexy with the black trim around the natural wood tone.. i have such a bond with this guitar, this guitar is simply my best friend and will be going in my coffin.  it's also had it's share of tony iommi riffs played on it. nuff said.

:::: 1979 gretsch bst 1000 "the beast model".  i've been playing this guitar alot at all of my recent gigs.  this guitar is so unique and gets such a wide range of sounds.  1979 and 1980 mark the last years gretsch made guitars in the USA.  i don't think gretsch meant for this guitar to be a high end guitar, but i have a hard time putting it down, it just sounds so good.  3 way switch makes this 3 totally different guitars.  it's nice and light and super comfortable to play.  theres a tad of wear on the back of the neck in the first position and then down by the 12-15 frets, but what can i say, she gets a lot of play too. 

lastly... 1971 epiphone crestwood.  i'm not even sure of the exact model.  this one has the tremelo, they also made them with the hardtail.  anyway, this guitar i bought as a project, shes been gutted of the old japanese wiring, and had quality components put in her, and had a pro set up on her.  i was going to do the wiring myself, but at the time, i got busy and lazy. oh well, the neck on this guitar almost feels like it belongs on an ibanez electric or something.  it is so slim, and easy, despite the oversize headstock and gibson feel.  i feel bad as i don't play this as much as i should, and i always think about selling it, but i never want to go through the hassle..

hope you guys dig them!
"A little love is like a little wine.  Too much of either will make a man sick" - john steinbeck

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #473 on: 16 Jul 2009, 15:56 »

Good god, that collection is AMAZING. A salute to you, sir.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #474 on: 16 Jul 2009, 16:14 »

Touch Me Im Sick

• Street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm
« Reply #475 on: 16 Jul 2009, 20:38 »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #476 on: 18 Jul 2009, 05:41 »

'71 Crestwood OH GOD WANT.

Zingoleb

« Reply #477 on: 19 Jul 2009, 19:12 »

So someone gave me this guitar a few months ago and it was so hideous that painting it silver and drawing on it with sharpies made it look better.

Fairly cheap Johnson guitar. Was completely stripped when I got it and it was good fun to make it whole again. The bridge is actually carved from a stick I found in my yard :lol:

Also, my friend wants to buy it.  :-D I'm going to sell it to him to fix up my good guitar back to glory and post pictures of that one~!
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2009, 19:15 by Zingoleb »

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #478 on: 20 Jul 2009, 05:11 »

How does it sound with a home-made bridge?

Zingoleb

« Reply #479 on: 20 Jul 2009, 14:37 »

A little muddy but not too bad overall. It's an acoustic/electric and when you plug it in you can't really hear the muddiness.

Then the low-E tuning key fucked up on me last night and I have to replace it. It does that thing where you start to tune it up, then the string suddenly drops in pitch. I know why it does it but cannot reasonably explain it.

Edit: That is, when I'm tuning it up, counter-clockwise, it'll jump about a quarter turn clockwise and release the tension. However, I replaced it and it works better now.

I think the muddled sound has more to do with the quality of the guitar than the bridge. Then the fact that the guitar was spraypainted over several time (by others, then myself).
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2009, 15:31 by Zingoleb »

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #480 on: 20 Jul 2009, 16:17 »

I have the same tuning problem with the g-string my ltd ec-1000, and it has locking tuners!

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #481 on: 21 Jul 2009, 08:44 »

Does anyone know much about speakers?  I have a Fender Champ 600, which is actually a great little amp, and perfect volume for dorm room playing and recording, but the speaker is not what I'd like.  I'm looking for options for replacing the stock 6" speaker.  Any suggestions?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #482 on: 25 Jul 2009, 06:35 »

Weber supposedly makes great (and relatively inexpensive) replacement speakers for like..every amp ever.

wespeakinmidi

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #483 on: 26 Jul 2009, 07:50 »

if you really want that crestwood... your welcome to pm me and make me an offer.. if i did sell it, i'd set up a private ebay auction for everyones security.  anyway, it  seems like the originals are all of a sudden so popular since epiphone reissued a similar looking guitar costing 2grand.  haha.  i've been debating craigslisting it just to make some room, and like i said it doesn't get enough play.  i'm not one to waste things, so i'd rather see someone rocking it.  it IS a great geeeetar. 

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #484 on: 26 Jul 2009, 08:48 »

Like I could afford that. I can barely afford Squiers. =(

Plus right now, my mind's on a CIJ competition Mustang for sale on OSG.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #485 on: 27 Jul 2009, 16:26 »

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #486 on: 27 Jul 2009, 16:40 »

I usually tell the airlines that I could check my guitar in it's flight case, but that I would not, under any circumstances, sign their "ain't our fault if our baggage handlers fuck up your thousand-dollar instrument" form. I watched one of the handlers in Seattle throw my Jag + case onto the little slidey ramp thing for oversize baggage, and I chewed that fucker out good. Guy's lucky I didn't ask for his supervisor. I'd have loved to crack the case over that asshole's head.

You know, I have dropped my epi (in the case) six feet onto a parking lot (didn't quite have a hold of it when someone let go) and it didn't even go out of tune, so if they manage to break my guitar when it is in my luggage, there is either malice or the kind of vacuum of talent that would allow one to burn down a public pool on accident while making a salad in the adjacent state. Yeah, I'm not taking my guitar by plane unless I get an extra seat for it, or maybe if I put the case inside a cardboard box with a lot of padding. If your baggage handlers are so incompetent as to be able to break a guitar through a quality case, when even a crappy case provides that much protection, I don't trust them with anything more fragile than a lead brick.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Tehz

• and the driving snow that drives me home

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #488 on: 27 Jul 2009, 23:40 »

So I don't know whether to get a tiny terror or a vox night train.

Help, guys.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #489 on: 28 Jul 2009, 06:42 »

Tiny Terror.
For serious.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #490 on: 28 Jul 2009, 07:25 »

Tiny Terror.
For serious.
I am biased as I've been  rocking the TT for a while. No experience with the Night Train. The TT has been great for me.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

wespeakinmidi

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #491 on: 29 Jul 2009, 06:18 »

i'd first ask yourself what you're looking for out of an amp... especially the low watt ones... because they're all different.

i don't own a TT, but i have plugged into one, and the dual terror for extended periods of time.  owners of both of those models seem to LOVE them..  orange makes great stuff, even if i have other opinions about those particular 2 models. 

my experience with vox, though biased as an owner of a couple of vox amps, is that the quality of their products hasn't been great in quite a few years..  i don't know that i would recommend anyone to buy a new vox product...  but that's just me.  i'd rather tell you to seek out an older AC15 or something.

my father owns a blues junior as he is an old fart and doesn't gig.. as far as low watt amps, i really dig the blues jr, i just don't dig the fact it's gone up $200 in price in the past year..

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #492 on: 29 Jul 2009, 09:29 »

I'm looking for a new amp, and some dude told me that a Marshall MG50FX would be a great purchase. Does anyone here have any experience with this amp?
I'm hoping to spend a maximum of about a 1000 $ and i want a versatile amp that I can carry without breaking my back.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #493 on: 29 Jul 2009, 09:39 »

I remember a friend of mine left his Marshall MG100FX at my place for band practice, and I remember it sounding really, really good. Like, pretty convincing and stuff. I like the sound I get out of my Fender Princeton 112+ but if I heard one of those again, I'd probably trade it in a heartbeat.

I don't know where Patrick's been, but I do remember him loving the balls out of his Marshall MG.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #494 on: 29 Jul 2009, 12:21 »

I'm looking for a new amp, and some dude told me that a Marshall MG50FX would be a great purchase. Does anyone here have any experience with this amp?
I'm hoping to spend a maximum of about a 1000 $ and i want a versatile amp that I can carry without breaking my back.

I think the MG series has just been updated with some new models but I have the old MG50DFX. It's an alright amp for the price I paid, £150 but I just think it has something lacking. If you're looking for a good hard rock sound then it should be perfect. You should easily be able to get one for under $1000 and thankfully it's quite light so carrying it around is okay. Make sure it comes with the footswitch, for some reason mine didn't and you really need it.

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #495 on: 29 Jul 2009, 17:54 »

Thanks for the responses, they really helped me decide. I 'll probably pick it up sometime soon.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #496 on: 30 Jul 2009, 07:41 »

Oh jeez, if someone was looking for guitar bargains...
http://www.musictoyz.com/blog/network-highlight/guitar-blow-out-sale/ Some prices kind of suck, but I would buy one of those Reverends just for laughs. You know, if I wasn't totes broke.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #497 on: 31 Jul 2009, 18:00 »

You guys, what is this guitar because it looks kickass and I am tempted to buy it no questions asked but I got screwed last time I did that. The price screams "I HAVE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME."

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/1293186008.html

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #498 on: 31 Jul 2009, 22:16 »

Hmm.  Looks like it could be a knockoff of a Gibson Les Paul Special.  I didn't know Epiphone made one, though.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #499 on: 01 Aug 2009, 06:37 »

I know they did a single-cutaway version, didn't know about a double-cutaway though.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 92   Go Up