Butts!!!!
- 13 (14.4%)
Something else (Please specify)
- 6 (6.7%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2626-2630 (Jan 27 - 31 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 130365 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What now?

Marten Reed Cleaners LTD    18 (22.5%) <== What we wanted.
My, my, MYYYYYYYYYY Delilah!!!!    13 (16.3%) <== What we got.
Resetting Tai    8 (10%)
Marten swings    12 (15%)
A week of Yelling Bird and Sweet Tits    6 (7.5%)
Waffles, Spathe Ham and Green Eggs with Coffee    3 (3.8%)
Butts!!!!    12 (15%)
Something else (Please specify)    6 (7.5%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher    2 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I've never had a one-night stand. At this point, I probably never will. I am neither proud nor ashamed of this.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

You're not missing out on anything. They kinda suck in my experience.

I've had a few. I barely remember them. I remember some stories that came out of those experiences due to various misadventures, but the individuals themselves? Nope.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I'm quite distbured by the body hair and one-night-stand phobia in this thread.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

^

I mean people get to think differently than I do, but this thread is a good reminder that sometimes I just don't get some of you guys. S'cool though, ain't really a thang.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

If this is typical of party hook-ups, I suppose I should stay carefully away from them. I'm not sure how I would take that, because I hate losing track of people I had a good time with.

Meh, I don't go to parties anymore, anyway. You think it would be the same with a bar hook-up?
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Jeph must be reading it, because I'm pretty sure this is the most body hair Marten has ever had.

ETA- Also, his...treasure trail? is that the silly term? makes it look like his parts are on rather crooked.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Also, have we REALLY went this long and not commented on the bitchin' pink boxers? Or is this something already well established?

Schmorgluck: Can be?

I dunno, I've had a few bad hookups and a couple really good ones. Sometimes they fail, and sometimes they're two or three people loving each other for a day or two (and every great once in a while something longer happens). Existence is a cold, lonely thing sometimes, and sometimes people can help carry the weight for a bit.

And yeah, it may not be a universal human experience thing, but I find physical intimacy to be an actual need, one that dramatically improves quality of life when it's fulfilled at least a little bit. Little encounters are a little sad sometimes, because they can be temporary. But... if you live for any real length of time, you will have many people you care for and love who you leave and 'forget', who fade into the background, who drift on the currents away from you, or vice versa. It's... life, y'know? I suspect that one of the things about living is learning how to process and accept that, and maybe to figure out when not to accept it without a fight.

Sorry, thinking about it gets me rambling sometimes.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Body hair, sure...but "one-night-stand" phobia?  I'm not really seeing it, but even if I missed something, it's mostly understandable.  They can be enjoyable, but there's a huge risk that they end in tears as well.

Still, I'd like to take this time to appreciate that this week and last week have kinda made the forums more active.  Despite the "arguing" (I prefer the term discussion) going on I enjoy reading and participating in these threads.  I can tell Jeph is into this story arc too because he's been updating them so early (930 EST, as opposed to 11 pm or later), which doesn't always happen.

Truec

• Furry furrier

Someone should tell Jeph that he didn't include the copyright in the bottom of the last 3 strips.

Clearly Jeph has abandoned his copyright and we are now compelled to all start spinoff comics!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I find physical intimacy to be an actual need, one that dramatically improves quality of life when it's fulfilled at least a little bit.
I agree. And I suspect my incapacity to ever fulfill it a is a huge fuel for my chronic depression.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication

I mean, it's like saying that slipping a girl a drug in her drink is less creepy if she ends up not pressing charges afterward.
Are you serious? It's nothing like that! You're comparing drugging and taking advantage of someone to making a somewhat lame pass at a girl you've been talking to at a party... Do you honestly think they're on the same level?
No, and I never said they were. They don't have to be for the type of comparison I made.
And honestly, where is this going? What are Marten's expectations, and what are Delilah's expectations? What if Delilah is looking for "tonight only"? Does Marten have a history that indicates that he easily emotionally detaches from women he has close relations with? He hasn't really thought about this at all (again, this goes back to the whole "directionless" thing) and he's probably going to end up with some big regrets when it doesn't end up how he would like.
It's a hook-up at a party, don't you think it's too early to be talking of expectations, wondering where it's going, etc? There's nothing wrong with having some "naughty" fun with someone you've just met when you're both up for it and consenting adults. If it feels good just go for it. You can figure out later if you're actually compatible and interested in having a serious relationship, but none of that matters right now.

Marten's taking initiative, being more assertive and letting go of himself a little and Delilah seems to be a free spirited and open minded girl, I see this arc as a really positive and much needed development for our main character. Whether it results in a serious relationship or not is irrelevant at this point (imo).
That's all fine in theory, and I have nothing against people who are into casual hook-ups and have positive experiences from it, but you have to have the right personality for that. Marten doesn't. Marten's a guy who beats himself up over perceived mistakes he makes that he perceives as ruining his relationships. Honestly, I would have more confidence in Marten's ability to handle this scenario if he went around remarking that he wanted to bang random chicks with giant tits, because at least I could be sure he'd have the necessary emotional detachment.

Based on the new update, it looks like Jeph is heading the comic in the direction of repercussions for Marten. Like I said, he loves tormenting his characters.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Someone should tell Jeph that he didn't include the copyright in the bottom of the last 3 strips.

Clearly Jeph has abandoned his copyright and we are now compelled to all start spinoff comics!

Forget the comics!  I'm just going to sell unlicensed QC merchandise on Cafe Press!

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Poor "Mark!"

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Forseeing Marten try to fall into self pity over the one night stand and then have to get his crap beaten back into him by Tai or the CoD staff. 

Also it looks as though Delilah was a little more inebriated than Jeph let on when she first decided to hook up with Mark...
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Not necessarily - she could just bbe bad with names.   :angel:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Last night:
Delilah: "Mark! Oh!"
Marten: "Polo!"
 :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Appropos the body hair debate. A chart showing what kind of men you hairdo attracts. The first entry says "Cave men". The others should not need translation.

http://heltnormalt.dk/truthfacts/2014/01/27
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

I think the career aspirations of most of the cast of this strip was summed up by Angus: "Meh, good enough, I guess."
That is a good one, although Angus probably has more aspirations than the other characters.

Regarding "Mark": He got some physical intimacy which he probably needed, but now what? Is he any better for it? How will Tai react? Will she tell Dora? Will the story spread to his other friends as well? Will they feel sorry for him, or lose respect? Perhaps this was Tai's plan all along, getting him laid, and (knowing Delilah) without further complications?

westrim

Next stop: clinic to do a panel for STDs. Though some can take a while to manifest, so maybe a follow up in a few weeks.

I would have found it amusing if she had called him Martin.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Hopefully Marten will take this for what it is, and enjoy the fact that he could hook-up at a party without too much trouble - I think if Delilah had just shot him down he'd have definitely gone home depressed "Dammit can't even get laid at a party full of girls. I'm gonna die alone." Cue self-pity and forum-readers kicking him hard for it.

As for career aspirations, sometimes "good enough" is the best you can hope for, especially in this economy. It's far harder to get anywhere career-wise these days, even for determined go-getters like Dora; and even she has just been working to keep her one coffee shop afloat, not trying to build a CoD "empire".
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Jazzmaster

As for career aspirations, sometimes "good enough" is the best you can hope for, especially in this economy. It's far harder to get anywhere career-wise these days, even for determined go-getters like Dora; and even she has just been working to keep her one coffee shop afloat, not trying to build a CoD "empire".

Just imagine, a Coffee of Doom on every corner instead of Starbucks.  Could they possibly hire enough snarky baristas to staff every single one?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, did Dora ever mention something along the lines of purposefully not wanting to expand?  I believe at one point she said the cash flow was pretty steady and she could if she wanted to, but didn't.

I have an idea of their opinion of Starbucks after they told a guy off for using Starbucks lingo to try to order coffee at Coffee of Doom, but other than that I can't quite remember if corporate expansion itself was brought up or not.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2014, 22:15 by Jazzmaster »

Toe

Next stop: clinic to do a panel for STDs.

I think first he'll stop at the store to get some toothpicks. Gotta get the hair outta his teeth.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2014, 22:20 by Toe »

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Next stop: clinic to do a panel for STDs.
I think first he'll stop at the store to get some toothpicks. Gotta get the hair outta his teeth.
:facepalm: No more hair jokes, please!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I wasn't going to comment on the matter, but some of us actually do have a bit of a phobia regarding body hair.  I know that if I could afford it, I'd get everything that isn't on my scalp zapped off for good.  When I have any, I feel "dirty", no matter how recently I have showered, and I can imagine bugs and such crawling around in it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Hannermom offered to take CoD national and Dora said she wanted to stay local

Marten tried to get something and succeeded! That's not nothing. This is from someone whose idea of taking charge of a situation is go to the store for soup.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

From low to high and then low again.

Nothing's ever easy, is it Mark??

My only hope at this point is that Delilah and Dora somehow run into each other before Dora can hear anything from Tai.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I wasn't going to comment on the matter, but some of us actually do have a bit of a phobia regarding body hair.  I know that if I could afford it, I'd get everything that isn't on my scalp zapped off for good.  When I have any, I feel "dirty", no matter how recently I have showered, and I can imagine bugs and such crawling around in it.
Hm. The fashion industry really has transformed us. And not necessarily in a healthy way. Scalp hair is also unhygienic, but of course there is more money in hair fashion than in bare scalps, so I guess that is why the fashion industry has chosen to keep it.

Most males do not have the same urge to shave body hair, but I do not feel they are more dirty?

There was a "pussy fashion" cartoon link earlier in this thread, is this something that really exists?

KOK

Audentes fortuna iuuat

personally I prefer Qui audet adipiscitur.

Fortuna fatuis favet is more along my line.

And Deus custodit parvulos et stulti.
Heldet fřlger de tossede.

Indicible

• Jaegermonster impersonator

No more hair jokes, please!

:-D

Well, a one-night-stand is always a hairy situation. Just to err on the safe side a STD-test would indeed be advisable. Also, Delilah cannot wait to get Marten out of her hair... [/Hurricane of Puns]
It looks like Tai's decision panned out. Did she know about Delilah's habits?
Signature OF DOOM!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It was HannerMom that suggested the expansion of CoD. Dora managed to talk her down from it.

I don't know if she'd be as successful if she found out her daughter worked there, now.

This brings up a thought: Hanners is essentially unfireable by Dora, because if she does fire her, Mom will vaporize the shop - and everything within a thirty-mile radius.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

KOK

There was a "pussy fashion" cartoon link earlier in this thread, is this something that really exists?

Truth Facts is a joke site.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Hm. The fashion industry really has transformed us. And not necessarily in a healthy way. Scalp hair is also unhygienic, but of course there is more money in hair fashion than in bare scalps, so I guess that is why the fashion industry has chosen to keep it.

Oh, I certainly know that it (my phobia) isn't rational, but  it has little to do with the mainstream fashion industry.  I actually *like* playing with the hair on my scalp and doing interesting things with it as decoration, although I do sometimes get the urge to shave it all off (in fact, it has become progressively shorter over the past 10 years).  Although I have gone from übergoth to rivet-head, I still *like* the way my hair looks when longish and black.
Most males do not have the same urge to shave body hair, but I do not feel they are more dirty?
I'm male, and I often remove all mine, and in fact have had former gfs shave more frequently *because* I can be quite more fastidious about such things.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Next stop: clinic to do a panel for STDs. Though some can take a while to manifest, so maybe a follow up in a few weeks.
I'm pretty sure Marten's mom would have taught him everything there is to know about safe sex practices by the time he was fourteen.

Since they've both got all their private parts covered in the wake-up scene (Marten's boxers are rad), they may have just made out, not had sex.

Marten really doesn't seem the type to be totally cool with this ending.  He gets emotionally involved easily.  He may be a mite crumpy with his friends for egging him on to it.

Also expecting this:

Steve: Awriiiight, way to go!
Marten: Dude, she didn't even remember my NAME.
Steve: You just made it with the first chick in the room who caught your eye, and you're worried about your name?  What is WRONG with you?
[Conversation goes downhill]

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Truth Facts is a joke site.
Ja, jeg vet det.

Now back to English: Here is a hilarious pussy hair fashion video (not very SFW).

@jwhouk: Why on earth should Dora fire Hanners? When Hanners is on duty, everything is impeccably clean. CoD should have no problem with hygiene inspection officials.

Eversist

• Not quite a lurker

I know that if I could afford it, I'd get everything that isn't on my scalp zapped off for good.

Registered to tell you that you would probably look pretty strange without eyebrows.  :mrgreen:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I know that if I could afford it, I'd get everything that isn't on my scalp zapped off for good.

Registered to tell you that you would probably look pretty strange without eyebrows.  :mrgreen:
D'oh!  I forgot about those things.  I'd keep them as well.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

When Hanners is on duty, everything is impeccably clean. CoD should have no problem with hygiene inspection officials.
Except, maybe, for them breaking in tears out of shere amazement.

KOK

I feel old now. It does not seem so very long ago to me that shaving your crotch was extremely kinky. Now moviemakers shooting a film about the hippie movement can not find young extras with pubic hair. They have to apply fake hair.

YummyTiger

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Finally registered as this thread was pretty interesting. I will say this, I do believe the body hair can be unhygienic, and it definitely seems to be perceived as such. I am a male, and I absolutely trim *ahem* certain body hair. I have actually had a number of women who told me they appreciated said trimming. Of course, I may be looking at a biased sample... just my observation.

I also wanted to say that I saw nothing inherently wrong about Marten's attempt at a pickup line. I cannot see the interpretation that Marten believed Delilah actually "owed" him anything, it always read to me as a joke to steer the conversation towards sex.

Just my opinions, never posted, but I have read this comic for years! (I will note, I did not even know the forums existed until a year ago, the link is not readily apparent)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Marten obviously did not leave a mark, but possibly Delilah's remark might be smarten.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

I'm not. That's not phobia, that's just people's opinions clashing in "vivid" discussion. And I love it!
Also, when I started this hair-fest I was talking EXCLUSIVELY about armpit and leg hair. Strangely enough, I don't care one bit about pubic hairstyles. I leave it to my partner how to tend her garden and I enjoy any and all variations. °O
On the one night stand... I've never tried it and I probably never will. People (especially female people) tend not to click with me right away.

From what I've seen in the comic, Marten mainly seems to have been at the right place at the right time here. For Delilah there doesn't seem to be much else working in his favor.
I really get the "Meh, he's good enough for my base urges"-vibe from her.

Oh... and welcome new poster, YummyTiger. :)

Warning - while you were typing a million-trillion suns have burned out and vanished from existence. Galaxies have fallen, arisen, and fallen again. The universe has gained consciousness and is very pissed at you. You may wish to review your post.

Marten obviously did not leave a mark, but possibly Delilah's remark might be smarten.
I see what you did there. And I applaud you. You win this week's thread, I think.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

See Marten? If you stay shallow, then you won't dig holes!

Expected outcome, good for him. Not all girls want a relationship after fun times boyo.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I'm not. That's not phobia, that's just people's opinions clashing in "vivid" discussion. And I love it!
Also, when I started this hair-fest I was talking EXCLUSIVELY about armpit and leg hair.

That wouldn't make it any less prejudiced (were it seeming like a prejudiced remark). People can groom however they like.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
Carpe Diem

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Also, have we REALLY went this long and not commented on the bitchin' pink boxers? Or is this something already well established?

It's "Salmon."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

He has been seen to have coloured boxers before, e.g. purple.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I have a theory! And nobody beat me to it while I was filling out the registration form (I hope):
Delilah "forgot" Marten's name on purpose to put any idea about this being more than a one-time-thing out of his head. She knows he's not used to casual sex and will therefore probably do something stupid like fall in love. "Forgetting" his name is a cruel but effective way to prevent this. He might feel angry/disappointed for a short time, but as he's the self-admitted "chillest dude ever", he'll soon get over it and there will be no awkwardness if they ever meet again. Well done, Delilah!

KOK

Yes, that is what I thought too.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

'tis cruel to be kind ... ?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!