Butts!!!!
- 13 (14.4%)
Something else (Please specify)
- 6 (6.7%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2626-2630 (Jan 27 - 31 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 131993 times)

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

I think the fact that she forgot his name is just meant to be funny? At least I chuckled  :-P

In Marten's place I'd appreciate Delilah's directness about the situation (I wouldn't have let the Mark comment slide though, lol). But either way, he set out to have some fun with a girl and got exactly what he wanted with no further complications. Job well done! I hope he doesn't develop post-party and post-drunkenness regrets about the whole thing because there's nothing to feel bad about imo.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

I have a theory! And nobody beat me to it while I was filling out the registration form (I hope):
Delilah "forgot" Marten's name on purpose to put any idea about this being more than a one-time-thing out of his head. She knows he's not used to casual sex and will therefore probably do something stupid like fall in love. "Forgetting" his name is a cruel but effective way to prevent this. He might feel angry/disappointed for a short time, but as he's the self-admitted "chillest dude ever", he'll soon get over it and there will be no awkwardness if they ever meet again. Well done, Delilah!
Welcome, Schwungrad! It is good to see that this discussion thread is bringing several lurkers into the open :-D

I think Delilah's acid test was when she learned Marten was cool about the Tai/Dora relationship. That way, she knew they could have a one night stand without possible problems afterwards. She might not have planned it, but thought "why not" when Marten made the pass.

Marten asking for her phone number was just common courtesy, and gave her an opportunity to explain her position. It was way smoother than many other possible endings. I do not think she forgot his name on purpose, as it was not really necessary. But it was funny, nonetheless.

All in all, possibly a positive experience both for Marten and Delilah. They part as friends, with no hard feelings and no obligations. What remains to be seen, is how Marten's friends handle it, if they ever get to know:

Faye: "Marten, you slut! Don't you have any standards in life?"
Dora: "Finally got some relief, eh? I have seen it build up lately."
Hanners: "Eww! How can people even do that?"
Pintsize: "Did you manage to take some pictures?"
Steve (thanks, Platypodes): "You just made it with the first chick in the room who caught your eye, and you're worried about your name?  What is WRONG with you?"

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

He knows her address, so he does not need to ask to ask her for her number if he wants to contact her. What he is really asking is permission to call her.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2014, 05:42 by KOK »
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

He knows her addresss, so he does not need to ask to ask her for her number if he wants to contact her. What he is really asking is permission to call her.
Well, yes. And both could use Tai as a contact point if they ever wish to meet again. This could be the ultimate "friends with benefits" situation, where Tai can act as mediator if either of them need to relieve some tension, without the awkwardness of asking the other directly.

EDIT: Only to be used in situations like this.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I'm quite distbured by the body hair and one-night-stand phobia in this thread.

The gal is a little too, how shall we say?    Crunchy hippy for me?

Not a fan of the "all natural" look.  :-o

I'm good on one-night-stands though.  Never had any with strangers before (well...ok, once) mainly just close female friends.  And those were "goodbyes" after college graduation.  :-D

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm pretty sure those don't count as one night stands.
They part as friends
Do they? I'd like to think so, but it doesn't look like they do.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

5th_fathom

• Not quite a lurker
  • I've seen some stuff, and things.

Ended many weeks of lurking to mention that I read a very entertaining article on the issue of body hair/shaming, that I think is appropriate to the conversation being had in this thread. http://jezebel.com/when-it-comes-to-your-pubes-these-are-all-of-your-opti-1506892619

Highlight of the article is in the Spoiler tag below:
(click to show/hide)

TL:DR version: Only jerks care what someone else does with their own body hair. Don't be jerks.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

Me, I'd like to see what May does when she gets out of robo-jail.

This strip turned into Blade Runner so gradually, I almost didn't even notice.

(fixed tags ~Loki)
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2014, 10:43 by Loki »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

#2 here per that Jezebel article.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Hm, those 5 don't cover me, I don't have preferences about hair one way or another about a partner. I have at times regularly got rid of most of my hair, other times I've gone natural. It depends on my momentary whims.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier

I'm not shaming anyone. I simply don't find it attractive. That's not shaming, that's my choice. If a woman wants to grow her hair out, more power to her, just don't say I'm shaming her because I don't find it attractive.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Bugs me that the article seems to imply you can only have that sexual preference due to however much cultural conditioning rather than simply, you know, having a preference.

But I would say one or two of the posts in this thread counted as shaming, albeit I can't be arsed to scroll back through to see whose those were.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Schwungrad

The "shaming" refers to people who were implying Marten is a freak for even considering having sex with an unshaven woman.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Surely the real question is "Why are Delilah and Marten yelling?"

(the font is suddenly about 50% bigger...)

I thought something seemed weird with the comic today! You're right; I think it might even be twice as big as usual (pleeease Jeph, make it smaller again, this makes everything so chunky).

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

...who has a party at their own house when they have to work early the next day?
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

...who has a party at their own house when they have to work early the next day?
Dang, I did not think of that! And with Marten staying, probably not much sleep at all. Therefore, we must assume Delilah lied, and just wanted Marten out of the house ASAP. She probably has previous experiences, involving breakfast and awkward breakup moments. The best solution, by her logic, is therefore to get the boy out of the house before he has time to think.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Someone who was not planning on having an overnight guest. 

We don't know how early it really is - she said "time to wake up", not "Good morning"! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

The "shaming" refers to people who were implying Marten is a freak for even considering having sex with an unshaven woman.

Yeah, I know. I did say there were shaming posts in here, I just said I couldn't be bothered to go back and check which ones (or rather, who they were by).

Schwungrad

I was referring to the poster before you. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Ah, it's no problem - the tradition on this forum generally is that you're replying to the post directly above yours unless you quote one further up.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I'm quite distbured by the body hair and one-night-stand phobia in this thread.

The gal is a little too, how shall we say?    Crunchy hippy for me?

Not a fan of the "all natural" look.  :-o

I'm good on one-night-stands though.  Never had any with strangers before (well...ok, once) mainly just close female friends.  And those were "goodbyes" after college graduation.  :-D

All natural? That hair?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

He knows her addresss, so he does not need to ask to ask her for her number if he wants to contact her. What he is really asking is permission to call her.
Well, yes. And both could use Tai as a contact point if they ever wish to meet again. This could be the ultimate "friends with benefits" situation, where Tai can act as mediator if either of them need to relieve some tension, without the awkwardness of asking the other directly.

What?  Marten expresses a desire for another ill advised hookup and Tai drags him to a sex shop? 

That is so going into my headnikon. 

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Ended many weeks of lurking to mention that I read a very entertaining article on the issue of body hair/shaming, that I think is appropriate to the conversation being had in this thread. http://jezebel.com/when-it-comes-to-your-pubes-these-are-all-of-your-opti-1506892619

Quoting Jezebel to prove an argument is akin to quoting Quantum Physics from a Children's Encyclopedia. Not a good idea in the long run.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

What?  Marten expresses a desire for another ill advised hookup and Tai drags him to a sex shop? 

That is so going into my headnikon.
:lol: Not exactly what I had in mind, but it could be fun :lol:
To others: If you do not get it, follow the link above a couple of days...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Now all he has to do is get past Tai's incessant questioning
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

Therefore, we must assume Delilah lied, and just wanted Marten out of the house ASAP. She probably has previous experiences, involving breakfast and awkward breakup moments. The best solution, by her logic, is therefore to get the boy out of the house before he has time to think.
Or maybe she just really needs to go to work? :-P

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

yeah, there are plenty of jobs out there that you can go to hung over... besides, she didn't have boozles last night and she doesn't have any indication today that she's feeling under the weather.

Her face also doesn't show the kind of stress that would indicate that she's trying to pull one over on Marten. I think this situation is as simple as it looks... and Marten is going to spend the next little while have a hard time coming to grips with how simple it can be... (i.e. "Steve you were right THE WHOLE TIME I'm so stupid"/"*whomp* of course I was and of course you are!" yeah I'm totally looking forward to the next Steve strip)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Was that "WHOMP" Marten banging his head on the table, or Steve giving him a dope slap? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Marten is a bit of a milquetoast.

Something tells me he's going to spend a few weeks being bummed out over this instead of thinking what a fun one-off he had.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Was that "WHOMP" Marten banging his head on the table, or Steve giving him a dope slap?

...Can it be both?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

5th_fathom

• Not quite a lurker
  • I've seen some stuff, and things.

Quoting Jezebel to prove an argument is akin to quoting Quantum Physics from a Children's Encyclopedia. Not a good idea in the long run.

If the Children's Encyclopedia makes the point, no need to bust out the Quantum Physics.

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

yeah I'm totally looking forward to the next Steve strip
Yes! Steve is shockingly underused! I wish Jeph would write more stories with Steve in them, I think he's a great, fun character and provides a good balance for Marten.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

...Can it be both?

"...And this is my bean-filled whack-bonk."
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Hmm! She may indeed have enough experience with this to have refined her tactics.

Welcome, new new people!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Appropos the body hair debate. A chart showing what kind of men you hairdo attracts. The first entry says "Cave men". The others should not need translation.
http://heltnormalt.dk/truthfacts/2014/01/27

I don't really agree that this is indicative of type attraction, but I thought it was funny that the first response I saw had Marge Simpson in it.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

In fairness, 5th_fathom called it "very entertaining" rather than presenting it as proof.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

zmeiat_joro

I've been in Delilah's situation way too many times and I'm agndered, and there's not much I can say further than that.  Other than cesariojpn tends to be aggressive, and if that might be pertinent, I tend to be seeen as male.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Delilah's situation being...what? Forgetting someone's name after fucking them?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

zmeiat_joro

Having a one night stand with someone not emotionally prepared for one -- but he might be, and I get the impression that he is.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well it's not like he knew it was a one night stand until this morning. (Not saying he assumed it wasn't, but he had no reason to think either way)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

zmeiat_joro

Well it's not like he knew it was a one night stand until this morning. (Not saying he assumed it wasn't, but he had no reason to think either way)

I'm just saying that I'm getting prettty annoyed with the speculation in this thread. It is very much removed from real life. To the point that it's getting creepy. It's always been creepy, I guess, but I guess I never payed much attention to it.

I guess what I want to say is: dudes, chill. You're getting way too creepy. Sorry I'm just a silly European.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2014, 17:19 by zmeiat_joro »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

How is the speculation creepy? And what do you mean by "removed from real life"?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Sleeping with someone you just met that night is a pretty strong indicator that it's a one-night stand. Saying he had no reason to think it was is just silly.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

zmeiat_joro

How is the speculation creepy? And what do you mean by "removed from real life"?

Pretty much the whole discussion about the first two strips of the week made me deeply uncomfortable. They all seemed to invoke American stereotpes that I could not relate to.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2014, 17:37 by zmeiat_joro »

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Pretty much the whole discussion about the first two strips of the week made me deeply uncomfortable.

That didn't really answered the question.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Sleeping with someone you just met that night is a pretty strong indicator that it's a one-night stand. Saying he had no reason to think it was is just silly.
Why would that be a strong indicator? And I'm not saying he should be shocked that it was, but I don't think he had a reason to know it was.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Agreein' here, if the night was enjoyable for both Marten and Delilah I think it was reasonable of Marten to think that it could turn into more frequent meetings.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Right, not necessarily love or even dating, but why would someone ever assume someone they're getting along with never wants to see them again?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

zmeiat_joro

Right, not necessarily love or even dating, but why would someone ever assume someone they're getting along with never wants to see them again?

Mu? Because? Have you even had any real social interaction in a big city?

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

A random hookup is a random hookup. If it turns into something more, fine, but the default implication is that it's a one-off.
@syleegrrl
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up