Butts!!!!
- 13 (14.4%)
Something else (Please specify)
- 6 (6.7%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2626-2630 (Jan 27 - 31 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 130406 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Because?
Because if you are enjoying someone's company, why would you not want to see them again?
A random hookup is a random hookup. If it turns into something more, fine, but the default implication is that it's a one-off.
Why would that be the default implication?
Have you even had any real social interaction in a big city?
Yes, but how is that even relevant?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Because that's kind of the whole point of the random hookup.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

How? I thought the point of the random hookup was the hookup itself, not the banishing the person from your life after.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Who said anything about banishing? The point if the random hookup is sex without complications or emotional entanglements. Have a good time and be on your merry. No muss, no fuss.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Fair enough. I guess I can't really understand it without having tried it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Who said anything about banishing? The point if the random hookup is sex without complications or emotional entanglements. Have a good time and be on your merry. No muss, no fuss.
Yeah, maybe, but there's absolutely nothing unreasonable about at least inquiring the possibility of keeping in touch, even if the sex is a one-time thing. Or is there yet another one of those rulebooks I have never read?
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Right, not necessarily love or even dating, but why would someone ever assume someone they're getting along with never wants to see them again?

It's normal to ask for someone's number if you are looking for a deeper relationship, but IMO she's just making it clear it won't be more than that - doesn't mean they won't ever see each other again. It seems like she's into satisfying earthly desires than Marten really was. Marten does seem to want something a little more lasting, but his reaction in the end panel indicated he understood and was ok with it being just a passing thing. Who knows, they could end up being friends who bump into each other occasionally. With their crotches.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Even if Delilah never appears in the comic ever again...

(put on sunglasses)

8-) ... she's made her Mark.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Steve! ... and ... Cosette...
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Agh indeed.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Agh indeed?

oh...

Agh!
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

The case of the disappearing countertop...

Also, some recent conversation in this thread reminded me of this: http://imgur.com/gallery/0EF0i0i

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Cosette accidentally flashing Marten seems very tame given her typical bad luck.  She should have flashed Marten, tripped over her robe, fallen out the window, and ended up naked face up on the lawn as a busload of nuns drove by.

westrim

They were walking through the kitchen and in a different room the next panel.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Marten's eyes in the last panel :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

Not so, the fridge is directly behind Steve in the last panel. I think that the POV rotated and got slightly closer, so now we are looking from in front of/above the counter rather than being behind it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You sure that's not a door in the last panel?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Whatever it is, I like the cereal callback.

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

I don't think so. If you look closely you can just barely see the top right corner of the fridge door under Marten's right arm. I may be wrong though.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

It's the refrigerator that's behind Steve the panel before...just changed angle from slightly to the side to directly in front of it

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Also, some recent conversation in this thread reminded me of this: http://imgur.com/gallery/0EF0i0i

They jumped back a foot or two from Cosette's "ARGH!"...it's still there, they are just closer to the fridge.

westrim

Not so, the fridge is directly behind Steve in the last panel. I think that the POV rotated and got slightly closer, so now we are looking from in front of/above the counter rather than being behind it.
Looks like a doorway to me. For that matter, the presumed fridge doesn't look very fridgish.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Horsey O's? 

Nay, Winnie. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Does the question mark at the end of Marten's "agh" suggest the does not know what the others are "agh"ing about and therefore didn't actually see anything?
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If Marten wants to process what happened, Steve has the advantage of being a close friend but I wouldn't trust his judgement.

Momo might be a better confidant, but he shouldn't be discussing his sex life with a female co-worker.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Momo might be a better confidant, but he shouldn't be discussing his sex life with a female co-worker.
Although, unlike Steve, she can easily delete things she doesn't want to deal with from her memory.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Marten's "Agh?" implies he did not see anything, but went along with the others' "Agh". Whether Steve will catch the nuance, is another question. There might be a scene, Steve is extremely jelaous.

Anyway, Steve is not the best person to ask for relationship advice. And if Cosette overhears what Steve is going to tell Marten, she will be really angry.

EDIT: Ah, I found the reference to a previous scene. Follow that story a few pages.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

That wonderella comic pre-empts about two pages of forum punning. 

Thank you! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Brony O's!  Breakfast of Horsies!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

I'd actually argue that a more true statement is something like "Steve is not a good source of relationship advice if taken by itself". In a vacuum, the viewpoints and data Steve brings to the table are hard to translate to someone like Marten (what with having different enough characters and traits, and also because Steve is *bad* at translating), and also are often somewhat informed by the more toxic (or at least boneheaded) traits of the male subculture at large that it can be presumed Steve is a little more directly in touch with.

That said, when taken as a group (and with a good handful of salt), Steve brings a useful viewpoint to the collective, and can help counteract some of the pitfalls of other group members. Some of what falls out of his mouth is actually valuable, most often when juxtaposed and blended with the more passive and differently-neurotic traits of Marten and his other friends.

Then again that's two paragraphs where a sentence might do just as well for normal conversation. So y'know.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Although, unlike Steve, she can easily delete things she doesn't want to deal with from her memory.

For that alone, even without having Internet access wired into my brain, I'd endure the civil rights problems of being an AnthroPC.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Are we sure she can? I mean, depending on how the permissions are set up, she may have read-only access.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Memory is an important part of an individual's personality, so for AI cohesiveness, I'd say it is unlikely that an AnthoPC is allowed to erase memories without some kind of official review or licence.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Have you seen Tai?  By comparison, since he actually knew Momo beforehand, he's golden.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

So, apart from the cereal call-back, are the "Horsey-Os" a reference to the Year of the Horse, just starting, or to recent European scandals about horsemeat in food where it was not expected?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

So now we have Return of Cereal. We can expect Revenge of Cereal, Son of Cereal etc.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

And Wife of Cereal, of course.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Complete with the associated opera Abduction from the Cereaglio

*claireface*

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Cosette is a character I would like to see more of (both in the nude and in frequency of appearances :-D). She initially had the biggest crush on Marten, who unfortunately was in a relationship with Dora at that time. Marten acted as matchmaker setting her up with Steve.

Although Steve is Marten's best male friend, they do not hang out much, except when Marten needs advice from a male's perspective (which is not advisable most of the time). Cosette may be partly to blame, as Steve still suspects Cosette has a crush on Marten. This may very well be true, even if Cosette tries to hide it well.

Still, Marten and Cosette would never cuckold Steve. A breakup might change things, but I do not think Marten and Cosette would get together out of respect for Steve.

Cosette is probably the character that has changed most in appearance throghout the series, even allowing for Jeph's amazing development in drawing style over the years. A particularly hot rendering can be found here.

EDIT: Added hyperlink to Cosette blushing after a compliment from Marten.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Thanks for the exposition! (Seriously. I had to be reminded of most of this stuff.)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

*claireface*

:-D

Someone needs to create that smiley!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

How is the speculation creepy? And what do you mean by "removed from real life"?

Pretty much the whole discussion about the first two strips of the week made me deeply uncomfortable. They all seemed to invoke American stereotpes that I could not relate to.

I'm a Brit, but I still don't get what you're talking about.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

Steve!! Only yesterday I was asking for more storylines with him in them! Thanks Jeph :-D

Loved the cereal reference, ahah.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Whether Marten had any expectations or not, it's still possible that he's disappointed.

It's also possible that he had some expectations that he wasn't really aware of.  I hate it when I find out I have expectations that I'm not aware of until they're painfully crushed. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I thought it was a reference to the horsemeat scandal, in which case I'm impressed - I would assume that it wasn't covered in US news outlets much, so Jeph must follow British news.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

He was just in the UK, and also I've found that the horsemeat scandal was all over the parts of Twitter that I follow (although I do follow a few UK-based people on Twitter).

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

They all seemed to invoke American stereotpes that I could not relate to.
I don't think the possibility of people (especially people who don't usually have casual sex) misreading casual sex as a possible start of a serious relationship is a particularly American stereotype. Or what were you talking about?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

But the horsemeat thing was like a year ago now. It's not exactly up-to-the-minute news here any more.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up