Butts!!!!
- 13 (14.4%)
Something else (Please specify)
- 6 (6.7%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2626-2630 (Jan 27 - 31 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 128911 times)

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Memory is an important part of an individual's personality, so for AI cohesiveness, I'd say it is unlikely that an AnthoPC is allowed to erase memories without some kind of official review or licence.

If erasing the last ten minutes of memory destroys the integrity of someone's personality, so does adding ten minutes of memory.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I don't see why an AnthroPC would be obligated to let anyone access their memories, so why would they be stopped from deleting them?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

I thought it was a reference to the horsemeat scandal, in which case I'm impressed - I would assume that it wasn't covered in US news outlets much, so Jeph must follow British news.
Horses eat oats, and oats is a cereal. But the "Horsey O's" package looks awful. QC might be more technologically advanced than our universe, but they have awful brand designers. Branding in general is something Jeph seems to make fun of.

Ah, here it is: Steve eating cereals. I knew this was part of Jeph's grand master plan!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Yes, both of those things would explain it.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

*claireface*

:-D

Someone needs to create that smiley!

Something like this?:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Can... can we code those into the forum?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

*claireface*

Something like this?:

I like the top one!

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

*claireface*

Something like this?:

Ah, excellent idea! Let us get smileys for all the main characters, while we are at it!

What we need:
  • A (Jeph-approved) collection of main character smileys
  • Someone with Admin access and necessary knowledge on the Forum server
EDIT: This assumes that the Forum readers use a web browser. Other tools for accessing the Forum (such as Tapatalk) will not render the smileys correctly.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Hodgy can do it easily, it's about whether he will.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

...collection of main character smileys...

These are all the "faces" i can remember now:

Can... can we code those into the forum?

That's up to Hodges i guess. I'm just making them for fun, not trying to impose them in the forum or something  :angel:.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2014, 06:54 by K1dmor »

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Memory is an important part of an individual's personality, so for AI cohesiveness, I'd say it is unlikely that an AnthoPC is allowed to erase memories without some kind of official review or licence.
If erasing the last ten minutes of memory destroys the integrity of someone's personality, so does adding ten minutes of memory.
Which brings us into the really deep philosophical domain: You die a bit every day, every minute. You are not the same person today that you were yesterday. Thousands of brain cells die every day. Obviously, this will be different for AIs, unless partial memory loss is essential for conciousness.

It is probably best not to think too much about this :?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I guess the problem with smileys is the amount of memory they take and the fact they slow down loading? I don't know though.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The size of smileys is not an issue.  I may trickle a couple into place, but I'm not sure about some of the ones offered.

I am too busy this week to think much about it, though (a whole lot of moving office and installing new equipment).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

So, apart from the cereal call-back, are the "Horsey-Os" a reference to the Year of the Horse, just starting, or to recent European scandals about horsemeat in food where it was not expected?

I figure a reference to the horsemeat scandals, since the news post below the comic is "100% recommended daily allowance of horse in every serving". 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

"Horse" is also slang for heroin. 

Your daily allowance - just enough to keep you addicted to our cereal! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

So, apart from the cereal call-back, are the "Horsey-Os" a reference to the Year of the Horse, just starting, or to recent European scandals about horsemeat in food where it was not expected?

I figure a reference to the horsemeat scandals, since the news post below the comic is "100% recommended daily allowance of horse in every serving".

I don't see what the big deal about horsemeat is. 

A horse is a cow! Of course!  Oh wow!

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I just read Tuesday through today's strips all at once, having been too busy to read comics the last few days. Wow, what a week of whiplash this has been. My initial reactions to each strip:

Monday: Oh Gawd, Marten...
Tuesday: Omigod, that worked??
Wednesday: ...Oops. [followed closely by] What is he wearing?
Thursday: I've never seen Cosette look so flat-chested.

BTW, Marten's boxers look a lot more like fuchsia to me than salmon...  8-)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

The big deal wasn't so much 'ewww, horse,' it was more 'Wait, I bought beef, but it's not beef? So WHAT THE FUCK IS IT THEN?'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I have, indeed, bought and eaten horse - but I do prefer my food to be what it is labelled as, not something else.  The traditional sign for a butcher's shop in France used to be a horse's head.

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

The big deal wasn't so much 'ewww, horse,' it was more 'Wait, I bought beef, but it's not beef? So WHAT THE FUCK IS IT THEN?'
AFAIR, one of the problems was also that the horsemeat itself wasn't fit for consumption, as some of the horses that ended up as "beef" had formerly been sports horses and thus had all sorts of antibiotics and other medication in their system.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

His boxers are really more of a puce.

Honestly though, salmon is a fish. The color is pink, even if people don't want to call it that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I have, indeed, bought and eaten horse - but I do prefer my food to be what it is labelled as, not something else.  The traditional sign for a butcher's shop in France used to be a horse's head.

Well, "boucherie chevaline" means, literally, "horse butcher" (or slaughterhouse). Meaning, the French have specialized butchers for horse meat?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

...food beyond compare! (Food beyond belief!)
Mix it in a mincer and pretend it's beef -
Kidney of a horse, liver of a cat;
Filling up the sausages with this and that...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

AFAIR, one of the problems was also that the horsemeat itself wasn't fit for consumption, as some of the horses that ended up as "beef" had formerly been sports horses and thus had all sorts of antibiotics and other medication in their system.
Absolutely.  I don't mind eating horse meat (I've had horse sausages, and they're tasty!), but this "mystery meat" could be bad.  Probably was bad.  If it was good, they would not dress it up as something it wasn't, keep it from the food control authorities, and lie about which butcher it came from, now would they?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Yes they would, since horse meat is cheaper. If this is the same scandal we had here, the meat was actually exported from eastern Europe as horse, but got changed to beef by a wholesaler along the way.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Well, "boucherie chevaline" means, literally, "horse butcher" (or slaughterhouse). Meaning, the French have specialized butchers for horse meat?
I think I've read somewhere that there used to be a law requiring butchers to specialize in one sort of meat, so as to avoid mislabeled meat.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Momo might be a better confidant, but he shouldn't be discussing his sex life with a female co-worker.

Have you seen Tai?  By comparison, since he actually knew Momo beforehand, he's golden.

She's work in normal circumstances, but since she took him there to have a good time it'd be pretty bad form to complain to her about how awful it made him feel.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

Horses eat oats, and oats is a cereal.

I read this and I just had to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mvzec63ebQ

I'll show myself out.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Exactly the response I read from the news sites...For those of us in the US it's akin to the "pink slime" scandal and the Taco Bell "beef" scandals from the past several years. All of which were the same reaction to what the UK had to the horse meat scandal.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The horsemeat scandal exposed the myth that meat is carefully checked and healthy, because if they didn't notice that it was in fact from a horse not from a cow then they sure as hell weren't checking closely enough to make sure it didn't contain e.coli or whatever.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Neigh

Oh, and AAARRRGGGHHH!

OK, I'll go and do my Laundry now.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

So I was reading old comics and was like "oh, there's Delilah."

Then I realized I was in 2011.

And then I realized we haven't seen plaid guy again.

Moderator Comment Fixed the tags
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2014, 12:17 by Barmymoo »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Smallest, you're links don't work.

Thanks Barmy  :)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I don't see why an AnthroPC would be obligated to let anyone access their memories, so why would they be stopped from deleting them?
My thoughts exactly.  I'm sure plenty of humans (myself included) have wanted brain bleach at points, but a robot can actually do it.  Plus there are probably temporary files and such that get cleared regularly, so I don't see how getting rid of one awkward conversation in short-term memory is any different than doing just that.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Escherichia coli is everywhere, all of your meat has it.

(that is only a sort-of truth)

Smallest

• Curry sauce

The horsemeat scandal exposed the myth that meat is carefully checked and healthy, because if they didn't notice that it was in fact from a horse not from a cow then they sure as hell weren't checking closely enough to make sure it didn't contain e.coli or whatever.

Thank you for fixing my links

Also, I disagree with this. It's easier to do a test for a specific bacteria than look at a slab of meat and know what it is exactly, and of course they wouldn't be expecting it to be entirely the wrong animal source. But I admittedly don't pay attention much to how testing is done.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Yeah, bacteria are vastly different from eukaryotes, to the point where you can identify several diagnostic features with stains and an optical microscope. You pretty much have to do a genetic comparison to identify one species of mammal from another if you're presented with just a cellular sample, especially one from an unidentified portion of muscle. The trouble is that, by the time people were swapping labels around, most of the normal diagnostic features (head/neck, tail, lower legs, internal organs) had been removed.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

I have, indeed, bought and eaten horse

Yes, I had horse when I lived in Italy, it wasn't bad but nothing special really. I also had donkey when I visited Sardinia, it was pretty similar. The guy who was interpreting for us was repeating what the waiter said in English, and at first he referred to the donkey as a "piece of ass" then he realized what he had said and we all laughed.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Well I guess it doesn't really bother me even a little bit, the horsemeat scandal was about as far from being relevant to my diet as possible unless I were entirely self-sufficient. But still, it was a pretty bad cockup and the sale of ready meals plummeted as a result.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Cosette accidentally flashing Marten seems very tame given her typical bad luck.  She should have flashed Marten, tripped over her robe, fallen out the window, and ended up naked face up on the lawn as a busload of nuns drove by.

Nah, Cosette's bad luck isn't usually that complicated. More like she flashes Marten, and her reflexive jerk away causes her to fall over backwards and give herself a concussion while her robe flies open and she completely flashes him...

EDIT: Ah, I found the reference to a previous scene. Follow that story a few pages.

Haha, yes, I'd forgotten how crazy jealous Steve got over that little incident. Oh, and this one a couple of strips later is interesting. You know, if Marten could ever display that much self-confidence with a woman when he's not just joking around, his love life might be a lot less empty. But what's really interesting is how much fun he and Cosette are both having with the whole thing -- she plays along as perfectly as if they'd planned the whole thing in advance. Hmm...

Okay, here's a wild-assed guess/speculation that is probably no more (or less) likely than many of the others so far. Perhaps Steve will fly into a jealous rage thinking Cosette deliberately flashed Marten because she's still attracted to him, and they have a huge fight and break up with each other for good. Some time after this, Cosette confesses to Marten that she does have a bit of a crush on him still, which is why she blushed when he complimented her shirt in the first place, and says she'd like to start dating him. To which Marten responds in one of two ways:

Alternative resolution #1: Marten agonizes over the decision, but finally realizes he and Cosette really do go well together, and they start dating. (Possibly leading to the end of Steve and Marten's friendship.) With this ending, we realize that the whole party-at-Tai's-friend's-place story arc wasn't so that Marten could find someone at the party to get involved with, but to get him paired up with Cosette. Sneaky, Jeph.  8-)

Alternative resolution #2: Marten agonizes over the decision, but finally decides he just can't do that to Steve and declines her offer, leaving him just as lonely and mopey as before.  Whereupon we realize that the whole story arc was just a way to keep us entertained for a while without making any significant changes to Marten's circumstances. :-P

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Number 2. It's always number 2 with Marten.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Classy.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Tonight's strip, haha!  Go, Cosette!  And while I'm at it, bring back Renee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaang, Marten.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Cossette's gotten more cartoony in the hair, not that this is bad.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Her name is Dammitmarten.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Number 2. It's always number 2 with Marten.

I knew his life was crappy but not that crappy  :-o

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Love Cossette's look, not often she gets to look down on someone for stupid moments  :-D

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico

I will say there is a bit of difference though between not remembering a name and confidently calling someone by the wrong name. At least Marten is aware that he doesn't know what her name was.

That being said... damnit, Marten, you should at least remember her name :P

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I wonder if he forgot her name out of spite when she forgot his.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up