Poll

Cats?

CATS!
Cats. :grumpypuss:
CATS??
KITTTEHS!
Meh.
Cat GIFs!
Hellspawn of EVIL! EVIL, do you HEAR ME??
Dogs. :wow: Such Poll.
Waffles and Pancakes.
SPATHE HAM!!!!!!
MOAR PINTSIZE!!!!
YELLING BIRD STRIPS!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2641-2645 (Feb 17 - 21 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 54595 times)

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Male or female, SEX ON THE FIRST DATE IS SLUTTY, NOT EMPOWERING. Please note that I am including BOTH genders. Penis or vagina, there's no solid justification.
First off, it wasn't really their first date, they've known each other for a while, even if this was their first formal date (which trainwrecked).  That being said, yeah I think they probably did rush sex, because they haven't known each other that long, and yes I agree it's not empowering, but it's also not slutty.  It's just sorta, rushing things and poor decision making.

There is a pretty wide shade of gray between empowering and slutty.

Also for what it's worth, one of the best relationships I ever had was with a guy I just had sex with one day because I was horny, and really wanted to fuck someone.  Then AFTERWARDS I got to know him, and found out we were extremely compatible.  I hardly remotely recommend this as a technique for finding a long term partner, as it was mostly a fluke, but for crying out loud, doesn't make you slutty to enjoy having sex with someone.  Just wear a fucking condom.

For men and women, one's first sexual experience is considered a mark of becoming an adult.
I said it up higher on this page, but I'll say it again.

Sex is neither as good or as evil as you've built it up to be.  The media, the people, who tell you it's the greatest thing ever?  That it's what makes you an adult?  They're bloody fucking crazy, you're the same person before and after having sex, just a little stinkier after sex, until after you've showered.  Hell, for the average person, their first time having sex is kinda lame, because they're too wrapped up in the nonsense of trying to perform right, or rush to the orgasm, instead of just enjoying it.  That's something you learn to do over time, nobody seems to get it at first.

Even after the likely heartbreak, sex remains something special, something shared with someone important. Sex isn't just sex, it's emotions, drives, needs, desires, and more besides. I'd even go so far as to say that sex is a sacred experience for humans because of all the intangibles that go into it. Trust, attraction, creation, vulnerability, and more that I don't even have names for.
For some people yes, but for some people no.  For me?  Yeah, it is.  I can't have sex with someone I don't share an emotionally bond with because the emotions are too sloppy.  Many other people can and there is nothing wrong with them, OR with people like me (and Martin).  It's just natural variations on human sexuality.

For what it's worth?  Dale and Marigold did have emotion behind it, they weren't having sex for the sake of sex, they were having sex because they were caught up in powerful infatuation emotions.  Perhaps not the wisest thing, but they were not having sex to just to have sex or to get rid of their virginities.
[...]
Yep, good post!

Edit: Huh, now this went on the next page. Then I'd better actually put in the citation.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Is it possible to make a copy of an AnthroPC's mind and load it into another chassis, so that I too can have a Momo who will talk sense into me when I'm feeling needlessly down on myself?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Is it bad that I only realized today that they had sex? I assumed based on her face expression in 2638 panel 3 that she dragged him to the door without saying a word, then proceeded to shower.
It's... kinda bad, because now you'll have to tell us what you thought Momo was worried about the use Marigold could do of the syrup on her own, in the following strip.  :-D
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Then I'm outing myself as a slut. And I'm proud of it. I'll be adding it to my sig right now.

*high fives Schmorg and better then half the other posters here*

It's good to be a man whore. Even if I am normally monogamous I am all for people fucking consenting partners basically whenever they feel like it and 100% free of judgement for that act.

It is an empowering act to choose to fuck on the first date, or not, or never, or RIGHT NOW! Because you're making the choice! Judging other people's choices? That's attempting to strip their power.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

Well, I've been off the circuit, so to speak, for a while now, but I seem to remember when EVERY guy had protection on hand ALL the time. 'Cause you just never know.
I wish I was where you live, because in my experience that's woefully grossly untrue.  Then again I live in THE SOUTH, land of abstinence only sex-ed, and wall to wall insane and dangerous attempts at making people feel ashamed about having sex, so much shame that they are too busy feeling shame to actually prepare and be safe for sex when it does happen.

I'm the woman and I'm the one who has to provide the condoms every fucking time I swear.  I wind up handing them out to random guys on a regular basis who I see getting close to getting laid with someone else, because I'm like CHRIST ALMIGHTY USE A FUCKING CONDOM THIS ISN'T A GODDAMN JOKE.

It's why I scream about it so much, because I just don't fucking see people using them, ever.  And yes I know that's more of a regional issue, as I'm sure places which have actual real sex education in schools don't have this problem nearly as badly.

I find the idea of having to begin a relationship by formally going on dates (often with expectations attached to what has to happen at the Xth date) a little ridiculous. Looking at QC and other popular culture coming from the US, this seems to be much more a thing there than in Germany - although I will immediately admit that pop culture does of course not necessarily portray reality very accurately. I have never "dated" anyone by that definition.
[...]
Maybe in that situation the formalised setting of dates makes it easier?
Nobody in America really does that dating thing.  It's an outdated thing which hasn't really been common for about 50 years.  But it survives as a trope in fiction because it's a convenient and easy setup for drama.

Also I generally find formalized dating settings are far fucking more awkward and difficult than just dating someone normally.

5th_fathom

• Not quite a lurker
  • I've seen some stuff, and things.

CONDOMS MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU WEAR THEM?

I'd like to make a sign out of this, or maybe put it in my signature. Both?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

CONDOMS MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU WEAR THEM?

I'd like to make a sign out of this, or maybe put it in my signature. Both?

Approve of this.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Is it bad that I only realized today that they had sex? I assumed based on her face expression in 2638 panel 3 that she dragged him to the door without saying a word, then proceeded to shower.
It's... kinda bad, because now you'll have to tell us what you thought Momo was worried about the use Marigold could do of the syrup on her own, in the following strip.  :-D
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2014, 10:18 by Zebediah »
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

I am going to don my asbestos undies and go against the flow here.

Male or female, SEX ON THE FIRST DATE IS SLUTTY, NOT EMPOWERING. Please note that I am including BOTH genders. Penis or vagina, there's no solid justification.

Seriously, how is putting out for the first vagina/penis available empowering? Intimacy is a very important thing. For men and women, one's first sexual experience is considered a mark of becoming an adult. Even after the likely heartbreak, sex remains something special, something shared with someone important. Sex isn't just sex, it's emotions, drives, needs, desires, and more besides. I'd even go so far as to say that sex is a sacred experience for humans because of all the intangibles that go into it. Trust, attraction, creation, vulnerability, and more that I don't even have names for.

Marigold and Dale don't really know each other well. They've seen anime together that one time and Dale did that WoW harrassment but that's it. I haven't seen any meaningful conversations or interactions similar to those that Marten and Angus did with Dora and Faye. This whole thing just feels rushed, from a literary and realistic point of view.

caveat: I'm not saying save it for marriage and make sure it's your one true love, I'm saying that that biological imperative to stick it in to guarantee your genes being passed on is not the be-all, end-all to everything! There's more to it than just pleasure, dammit.

LOL. 

The best and longest lasting relationship of my life started out as a bar hookup.  We really liked each other so we did exactly what the fuck we felt like doing without regard for what anyone else thought of it.  That's the benefit of "empowerment" or, in my preferred language:  Autonomy.   As adults, Dale and Marigold are free to accept or reject your standard of what is "slutty" OR "prudish". 

As we got to know each other better, we formed a great relationship that lasted a long while. 

Sex is sometimes just sex.  Not for everybody and not all the time, but sometimes it is.  I don't think I could casually hookup like I did in my late teens and twenties, but it was great fun while I did and there's not a damn thing for me to regret about it because I was honest, ethical, considerate, and I used some goddamn protection. 

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Well, I've been off the circuit, so to speak, for a while now, but I seem to remember when EVERY guy had protection on hand ALL the time. 'Cause you just never know.

Uh, that was not me who said that, but WareWolf. Weird how the citation got the author wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

SEX ON THE FIRST DATE IS SLUTTY, NOT EMPOWERING.

Global Moderator Comment While you are entitled to your opinion, expressing it in this manner (shouting, and using a generally insulting word) is likely to cause upset. If you come back to defend your position, please use more moderate language.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened

On a side note, I wish I could be as chipper as Dale after apparently having stayed up all night.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

On a side note, I wish I could be as chipper as Dale after apparently having stayed up all night.

I wonder what kind of energy drinks Marigold has in her fridge. 

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication

I wish I could be that innocent again. There was a chance it was as such in 2638 panel 3, but Momo's comment in 2639 should have brought clarity. :)

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist

Sex on the first date?

I'm 50 (way crusty!) and male, and I've made nearly every mistake it's possible to make with ladies. And on other occasions, done lots of things right, too.

I've played my cards wrong and lost out with women, by appearing too interested or too uninterested, being too eager or by not picking up on the cue that said 'I want sex now if you just give me the right excuse'. And I've been at various times a slut, a player-wannabe, a shy boy, an awkward geek, a one-nighter, and a confident guy who knows what he wants.

On many occasions I've been fortunate enough that a series of outings or dates led eventually to a relationship. I've had just two occasions when we both just had sex by obvious mutual consent at the very first opportunity. You know what I called each of those two ladies?

"Fiancee".  Later, wife.  No regrets. (first marriage lasted 15 years, still friends). Those occasions where it just feels right, sometimes it's just right.

So if I went by my own experience, I'd say Dale and Marigold just did the right thing and are destined for a long and happy thing.
Thinks too much.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

She really does look cute like that.

And it's going to be interesting to see where this goes from here.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I was going to suggest that they'd join forces on WoW, but I suspect Marigold would not want to do that until after marriage.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

I was going to suggest that they'd join forces on WoW, but I suspect Marigold would not want to do that until after marriage.
Oh please, like Marigold would ever go Alliance.  She's far too ethical for that.  Dale needs to go Horde for her.  Just say no to evil Alliance scum.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Wouldn't want to horde yourself out, now...

GarandMarine

• Awakened

....damn. That was well played. Nice work Gareth.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

They probably continue with their present guilds. Or give up on it. Where did this story start? West Side Story? Romeo and Juliet? Ancient Greeks? Gotta be one of the oldest recurring themes in storytelling.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

That one is so funny it gave me a horde-on!
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

I wish I was where you live, because in my experience that's woefully grossly untrue.  Then again I live in THE SOUTH, land of abstinence only sex-ed, and wall to wall insane and dangerous attempts at making people feel ashamed about having sex, so much shame that they are too busy feeling shame to actually prepare and be safe for sex when it does happen.

Well, I'm from the South, too, so it may not be so much a matter of geography as it is of changed culture. When I was in my 20's (in the before time, in the long-long ago), a guy that didn't have a condom handy when sexy-time rolled around risked going home unlaid. Not saying some wouldn't roll the dice, but every guy I knew kept a rubber in his wallet (occasionally leading to Big Laffs when the thing had been in there so long that the  outline showed through the leather) Of course, this was when everyone was terrified of AIDS.

I'm the woman and I'm the one who has to provide the condoms every fucking time I swear.  I wind up handing them out to random guys on a regular basis who I see getting close to getting laid with someone else, because I'm like CHRIST ALMIGHTY USE A FUCKING CONDOM THIS ISN'T A GODDAMN JOKE.

I swear, you kids today, get off my lawn, etc. (Also, you're a smart person).

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I don't carry a condom around with me, mainly because I know I'm not going to get laid.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

You would be a terrible boy scout  :-P.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I don't carry a condom around with me, mainly because I know I'm not going to get laid.  :psyduck:
I used to be like that. Now I've been carrying condoms around with me since late December of 2011. According to the box, their expiration date is June of 2016. Maybe I'll use one before then? Who knows? The future is full of surprises.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content

oh my god fuck offffffff
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

I used to be like that. Now I've been carrying condoms around with me since late December of 2011. According to the box, their expiration date is June of 2016. Maybe I'll use one before then? Who knows? The future is full of surprises.

That's the spirit!

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

If something was going to gross me out about sex on the first date, the "slut" aspect would be the least of my worries. I'm on board with 90% of the other posters on that.

However,

Ahhhh, that makes sense.  Marigold doesn't shower for weeks on end, that's why she looks so messy all the time.  And after she had sex with Dale she was all icky so she went and showered for once in a blue moon.  Makes sense.

That would be horrid. Hygiene - especially sexual hygiene - is extraordinarily important to me. I wouldn't want to smell days worth of built up, oxidized sweat during intimacy.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

That's the spirit!
What is even more the spirit is that since February of 2012 I've been carefully clipping and filing my fingernails, I've been maintaining my hands' smoothness with hydrating cream, and I've carried a flagon of lubricant, a small bottle of grape seed oil, and even a pack of latex gloves when I was going out.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Why do people think Marbear didn't shower the morning of the date as well?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

That's the spirit!
What is even more the spirit is that since February of 2012 I've been carefully clipping and filing my fingernails, I've been maintaining my hands' smoothness with hydrating cream, and I've carried a flagon of lubricant, a small bottle of grape seed oil, and even a pack of latex gloves when I was going out.

Hmmm. You may be over-preparing. It's a fine line.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

That one is so funny it gave me a horde-on!

High five!
Quote from: Black Sword link=topic=29722.mega a AAA date=1392828809

oh my god fuck offffffff
Love.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

That's the spirit!

The gloves were what crossed that line :p

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What are they even for? :psyduck:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

That's the spirit!

The gloves were what crossed that line :p

I was also thinking that a flagon of lubricant might be a bit more than needed. But I could be wrong.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

It just so happens that I'm not into anal, but if I were the lubricant would be obvious, wouldn't it? (although I've been told too much lubricant can be harmful in anal - FYI)
But no, the lubricant is there because it can help with caressing a clit. Same with the gloves, in some cases. Heard it can make it slicker.

What thread is this already?

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Mari without glasses...approved.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

It just so happens that I'm not into anal, but if I were the lubricant would be obvious, wouldn't it? (although I've been told too much lubricant can be harmful in anal - FYI)
But no, the lubricant is there because it can help with caressing a clit. Same with the gloves, in some cases. Heard it can make it slicker.

If you can snap on a pair of latex gloves during foreplay without your partner running out of the room screaming, my hat's off to you.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

Mari without glasses...approved.

Here's the thing about women who wear glasses...they look even more naked when they come off along with everything else.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

If you can snap on a pair of latex gloves during foreplay without your partner running out of the room screaming, my hat's off to you.
Well, two things: I wasn't speaking of foreplay, I was speaking of fingering; and it isn't really something that I'd bring up on my own early on, just an accessory some lesbian friends told me could be fun.

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

That's the spirit!
Now now, let's not be hasty.  I don't think you appreciate how nice a man with well moisturized hands is.

For some, very inexplicable reason, there's all these men who are running around with one hand that's soft and well moisturized and the other hand which is as crunchy and dry as Satan's anus, and that's no good now is it?

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

Now now, let's not be hasty.  I don't think you appreciate how nice a man with well moisturized hands is.

I confess, I had never truly considered it. I shall take your comment under advisement.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

<comment about first date sex being "slutty">

I'd be curious just what exactly Black Sword thinks is so bad about being slutty?

From the all caps and tone, I infer that it's being used as a pejorative here, but to rephrase my previous question, So What?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

"For men and women, one's first sexual experience is considered a mark of becoming an adult."

Nice to know I'm 31 years old and still not an adult yet...

Thank you, Jeph, for supporting choice and self-determination, and thank you forums for generally being awesome about it.  I'm willing to call people sluts in certain situations, but choosing to have sex with a dude you're into and who's into you?  Not those situations, no matter how long you've been dating or known each other or whether you ever intend to see that person again.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

Nice to know I'm 31 years old and still not an adult yet...
Glad i'm not the only one haha!
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Challenge accepted.

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

Challenge accepted.
While I haven't considered the possibility of latex gloves before (Wow what sorta lameass boring kinky person am I?), I'm more or less up for trying almost anything first, so if you explained what you're doing, I might think it's odd, but I'll totally give it a shot and I definitely won't be running out of the room screaming.

No reason not to give something a try.  Might be fun.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

I think the lack of sleep is making him a little giddy. Crash will soon occur, and Faye will sacrifice his sleeping carcass to the spider goddess in the corner of the basement. "But Mar-Bear, he disappeared into the alley while taking the trash out earlier, haven't seen him since. Space Owls must have carried him off."
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

(click to show/hide)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up