THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 May 2024, 19:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Why wouldn't Delilah give Marten her number?

She doesn't date men named Mark
She is holding out for Bob
She knows musicians only lead to heartbreak
She sees no overlap between one night stands and relationships
Marten didn't bring his A game
Alluring aluminum aliurophile

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2656-2660 (March 10-14, 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 48620 times)

speedchuck

• Not quite a lurker
  • Unlimited Potential

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Apparently Marten (and Jeph) are nervous peers. (That's pee-er, not peer)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Yeah, definitely reflections in the mirror behind the bar.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ahh, right. Jimbo's is eerily blank, though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new people!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

he is enraged by the fact that he can't have an unpretentious, low-quality beer like the rest of his friends who have wrenches on their trucker hats

Yeah, but Jimbo has engaged in gonzo journalism for some time now, I'd have thought him more worldly than this. Being intimidated by funny beer names? Hmmm...
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

he is enraged by the fact that he can't have an unpretentious, low-quality beer like the rest of his friends who have wrenches on their trucker hats

Yeah, but Jimbo has engaged in gonzo journalism for some time now, I'd have thought him more worldly than this. Being intimidated by funny beer names? Hmmm...

Well this is what Jimbo wants, no fancy names or anything just beer.

"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

mrgstiffler

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Vagoo?

I think those are reflections.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=222

Yup, you're right. That's definitely a mirror behind them.
Pay That!

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

steve angus was totally packing his bags,
book'n a cab to the airport
check'n in at the front desk
taking off his belt & shoes
go'in through the metal detector
gett'n invasively searched by the TSA
if ya know what i mean...ooh yeah...
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2014, 23:41 by J »

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Travel plans, eh? I guess he might have gotten that part after all, then...
What do you know about Pokémon?

Zog

• Plantmonster

I think that it is more likely to be an interview and/or audition.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Possibly, but it seemed like Angus was trying to say something a bit more important than that, somehow.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Omg, drama incoming
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Possibly, but it seemed like Angus was trying to say something a bit more important than that, somehow.
Yes, but Steve is a pain in the a**. I guess Angus has frequent work-related travel, but he would not use this as an excuse for coming late. Something is definitely up.

On Monday, Jimbo should finally have some yellow beer, Steve should shut up/get drunk/go to the bathroom, and Angus should be able to have a private conversation with Marten.

Fancy places (either coffee shops or bars) should have a default option. When you order "coffee" or "beer", there should be no awkward follow-up questions from the person behind the counter.

Jimbo's comfort zone is a bar with just one type of beer, preferably yellow (although the color never gets noticed if you drink from a brown bottle).

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Steve's. In fact, I sometimes wonder why Marten bothers to hang out with him - it rarely amounts to anything other than drinking, obnoxiousness and narcissism.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I dont really get todays comic.  :oops:
Carpe Diem

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

In Australia, beer is sometimes known as the "amber fluid" or "amber nectar". Jimbo would be right at home.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Hmm, even the fanciest bars I have been in tend to keep some diabetic horse piss for people who don't know or appreciate fine beers.  If there's such a thing as well whisky, one would assume there's a hoppy analogue.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I've been to a couple of snobbish bars which lacked any "normal" beers, but most bars, at least in the US, will have at least one major brand on tap.

srpilha

• Not quite a lurker
  • composer, researcher (no, srsly)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Steve's. In fact, I sometimes wonder why Marten bothers to hang out with him - it rarely amounts to anything other than drinking, obnoxiousness and narcissism.

Agreed. Steve is such a douchebag all the time that it's a turn-off whenever he appears in the comic. I'm like "aw man, I'm gonna have to put up with this guy for like a week again? aw, come on... shit, man" and all that sort of things.

Marten is old enough and has friends enough that he doesn't *have* to hang out with Steve any more, if he ever did. Lame "friend".
Eggplant casserole tonight?
Why, yes!

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

My favorite beer snobbery memory:

A couple of non-ironic working class/farmer guys order some pints of stout or ale or...  something dark on tap.  meanwhile, their hipster friend who was dressed ironically sloppy and poor orders a six pack of PBR bottles. 

It was at a James McMurtry show and it occurs to me to drop him a line about seeing that.  He might want to work it into a song or a bit of monologue or something. 

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I've been to a couple of snobbish bars which lacked any "normal" beers, but most bars, at least in the US, will have at least one major brand on tap.
Given what US major brands sell as "beer" I fail to consider it a feature.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

"Checking baggage" might refer to rearranging your junk to a more comfortable position.
"Locating your passport" might refer to look for an ID so you can get served at the bar. Although Angus does not look underage.
"Ticket punched": Cocaine?
Just some idle speculation, with help from the Urban Dictionary. There might be other interpretations. But Steve is definitely a douchebag.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Given what US major brands sell as "beer" I fail to consider it a feature.
I guess I should be grateful then that I live in a country where real beer can be found on tap and you have to special order American "Budweiser" unless you go to a chain pub….
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Just some idle speculation, with help from the Urban Dictionary. There might be other interpretations.

I assumed the innuendo was intended to be sexual.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Hmm, even the fanciest bars I have been in tend to keep some diabetic horse piss for people who don't know or appreciate fine beers.  If there's such a thing as well whisky, one would assume there's a hoppy analogue.

There is and there is. It varies by nation and region of course, and it also depends on how you define "well", the shittest thing behind the bar? Well some bars actually serve Pabst or Natty to actual people! I know it's shocking but they do it! Ditto Corona, I don't know what the fuck is in the water in Mexico that gets into people's brains and makes them think that bottled cat piss is anything but actual...

*coughs* Ahem...

Cutting myself off before I really start ranting about the swill some people are under the mistaken impression resembles beer... I have a suggestion for Jimbo

Asahi! A Japanese Dry Lager that is both yellow and delicious.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

Agreed. Steve is such a douchebag all the time that it's a turn-off whenever he appears in the comic. I'm like "aw man, I'm gonna have to put up with this guy for like a week again? aw, come on... shit, man" and all that sort of things.

Marten is old enough and has friends enough that he doesn't *have* to hang out with Steve any more, if he ever did. Lame "friend".
Steve has been part of the comic since the third strip. He was the third character to have any lines at all, after Marten and Pintsize, and he and Marten have been there for each other through numerous situations.

Why is Steve lame? Because he's different from Marten? More lighthearted and silly? Friends aren't supposed to be carbon copies of each other, it's good to have variety and someone that can help you see things from a different perspective. And when you're truly friends with someone you don't discard them simply because you now know more people and don't need to hang out with them anymore. That's nothing.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I think that it is more likely to be an interview and/or audition.
I thought his audition was the last time he was in the city.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Steve has a definite tendancy to switch into obnoxious mode at the drop of a hat. If his goal in life was to make his friends as uncomfortable as possible, he wouldn't behave much differently.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

Why is "the city" New York to people who live in Massachusetts. Like way back when Angus asked Faye to go with him to "the" city I thought he was saying Boston, but when he came back he said something about NYC.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Here are some arguments for drinking fancy beer: Link. According to this, you also save money compared to drinking "beer" from the big beer companies.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Just some idle speculation, with help from the Urban Dictionary. There might be other interpretations.

I assumed the innuendo was intended to be sexual.

Definitely. The "get your/his ticket punched" is a common enough sexual reference, and the others just follow suit.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Why is "the city" New York to people who live in Massachusetts. Like way back when Angus asked Faye to go with him to "the" city I thought he was saying Boston, but when he came back he said something about NYC.
Because New York IS "the city". Boston is "Boston".

City is a weird looking word.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

"Does she go, eh? Does she go?"
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Because New York IS "the city". Boston is "Boston".

City is a weird looking word.

You think that's weird, try driving down the interstate and seeing a sign that says "City of Oklahoma City City Limits."  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

In Australia, beer is sometimes known as the "amber fluid" or "amber nectar". Jimbo would be right at home.
Most macro beers we buy here are essentially all golden ales, alrhpught I dunno that that XXXX, VB, and Carlton Draught piss you eastern states serve as your standard beer hardly qualifies. Coopers on the other hand...
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

You think that's weird, try driving down the interstate and seeing a sign that says "City of Oklahoma City City Limits."  :psyduck:

How about "The City known as the Town of Watertown"? Yeah, really. Watertown, MA is legally a city but calls itself a town. It's complicated.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Most macro beers we buy here are essentially all golden ales, alrhpught I dunno that that XXXX, VB, and Carlton Draught piss you eastern states serve as your standard beer hardly qualifies. Coopers on the other hand...

For the record, the fact that Foster's exists means Aussies can't talk smack about Budweiser and other shit American brands.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

As a point of order, they export Fosters..... The running joke is to get rid of it. Nobody in Australia actually drinks the stuff, supposedly. Me, I've never met a beer I actually like. From stouts to lager. Piss water to high shelf stuff. It all tastes terrible to me. So anymore I just stick to wine and whisky.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Actually, the existence of Busch Light means that anybody, anywhere can talk smack about low-end American "beers". If Budweiser is Clydesdale piss, Busch Light is watered-down Clydesdale piss.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

American Budweiser, Busch Light, Clydesdale, Foster's, Carlton - we are building a list of our least favorite beer piss. I suggest we also try to come up with some recommendations.

My contribution:

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

There are two beers competing for the "worst beer" spot in my opinion - the Belgian beer Maes and the Norwegian beer CB. Both lack any positive characteristics.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Actually, the existence of Busch Light means that anybody, anywhere can talk smack about low-end American "beers". If Budweiser is Clydesdale piss, Busch Light is watered-down Clydesdale piss.

And Busch Light is STILL better then Natty or PBR.

Both are better then Corona. Which frankly needs to be prosecuted by a world court.

If you like motherfucking BEER, and want a larger brand for some odd reason you should try these for pure, awesome 'Murrica:
Laughing Lab
Sam Adams (Any, but particularly Boston Lager)
Alaskan (any, but their red is a stand out)
Fat Tire

For my top 'Murrica micro brews or rarer selections:
Victory Golden Monkey - Belgian Tripel, your body isn't ready
Moose Drool Brown Ale
Arrogant Bastard (Any variant, yes it was named for me)
Dead Guy Ale
Kilt Lifter - Your body isn't ready. Get some woad, a kilt, and hang on.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

There are two beers competing for the "worst beer" spot in my opinion - the Belgian beer Maes and the Norwegian beer CB. Both lack any positive characteristics.
Norway also has the famous Aass beer. Tasting like the name implies.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

That has some hilarious marketing options though.

"Lick an Aass"

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

God, the url for that beer's website is hilarious in itself. "english.aass.no"

OK, so I'm easily amused. Aren't we all?

EDIT: Oh, man, I shouldn't have gone to that website. From a page titled "The Aaas History": "The brewery had no packaging and therefore so-called pot beer was sold to residents who took their own bins, buckets etc."

Pot beer? Hello, Colorado, I have a business plan...  :-D

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Does anyone rember Watney's Red Barrel? God it was foul. And for my recommendation - Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Remember we have a beer thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

Where the comic is located, the Pioneer Valley in western MA, the city could easily refer to either. You can hop on 91 and head straight down to a commuter train in New Haven or Stamford that'll take you right into Grand Central, or you can go eastbound on the pike and hit Boston in maybe an hour & 45. That said, hardly anyone refers to Boston as "the city" unless you live in the greater Boston area and say it in the context of like "I have to go to the city for a meeting today." But if someone just said "I'm going to the city" when I lived in Northampton, I'd definitely have to ask a follow-up question.

Beer: IF you can make it to northwestern VT, Heady Topper is an absolute must. Also, Green Flash just released an double IPA called Palate Wrecker and it lives up to its name in the best possible way.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

"I know beer comes in colors, an' I know I like yellow ones." Hahaha, classic Jimbo! Cuts right to the heart of the matter without wasting any time. As long as Will doesn't come across as too condescending, Jimbo's going to be fine.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up