• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wow. So much Story. So wow. What next?

Mom's New Apartment.
May's Employment Attempts.
Relationship Issues (take your pick as to whom)
Hanners and her HAAAAAAATTT!!!!
The Band!
Harriet officially joins the cast (with her pet bird YB)
Insert Meme Here (space ham, space tea, waffles, etc.)
Something completely different.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2721-2725 (9-13 June 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 52279 times)

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

I was so excited for the return of Raven until I read the caption.

DAMN YOU WILLIS JACQUES

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Quote from: Jeph
That lady ended up looking more like Raven than I intended. Whoops!
Bwahaha, she looks less like Raven than yesterday's clerk looked like Sara, and he didn't say whoops then. MAYBE THAT MEANS SOMETHING.

(click to show/hide)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

People who are condemning May, try to keep in mind that she is someone who ended up in jail. Now that was a result of her poor impulse control, sure, but it's not a nice place. It is hardly surprising that she has come out feeling bitter and angry.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I swear about as much as May does, so I suppose I don't view her behavior as negatively as some of you seem to....
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I also swear a lot in casual conversation, but again, we couldn't hear her tone of voice, and I would also temper that depending on who I speak to.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

People who are condemning May, try to keep in mind that she is someone who ended up in jail. Now that was a result of her poor impulse control, sure, but it's not a nice place. It is hardly surprising that she has come out feeling bitter and angry.
I've been in jail. I'm still fighting the BS charges. I'm bitter and angry. Difference between me and May (aside from fictional/real, carbon-based/silicon-based) is I don't take it out on anonymous individuals around me who have nothing to do with my short stint in the pokey.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I've been in jail for the last 21 years.

(click to show/hide)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

He "works" there
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Mad Cat, I'm not trying to say that May's behaviour is acceptable - simply that it's not very surprising that she's angry and bitter. Even apart from the prison, though, she has just been told to her face that she will not be able to get a particular job because of who she is. Frankly I think the shop assistant is complicit in the discrimination by not recognising it as stemming from hate, although I do see her point about losing her job. It is shitty that in the US, people can be fired for disagreeing with their boss's biogtry.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

In the US, people can be fired for no reason at all.  If not hiring or firing stems from any sort of bigotry, you're fucked, unless you can afford to take them to court and win.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened

At will labor laws.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Yup, that's the phrase I was looking for.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

How the fuck is that the way your laws work? You can just fire anyone for no reason? That's insanity.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Heaven help anyone who really got Momo riled.

She acts quickly when treated like an artifact who doesn't have personal space. Clinton ended up on the pavement seconds after meeting her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

That, and a labor oversupply which is only going to intensify as more jobs are eliminated through automation and outsourcing.
And yet, people are still expected to (find) work.  On whatever terms the employer sees fit to impose.  (Limited, in theory, by law; but as seen here, given the choice between losing one's job and/or bringing an expensive lawsuit for compensation, or (for example) working a few extra hours of "unpaid overtime", guess what many people will pick?)

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I prefer it personally as an employer. Being able to terminate dirt bags quickly and efficiently is a boon for me and saves me a drawn out termination process. Albeit I'm a fair boss in the scheme of it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

a labor oversupply which is only going to intensify as more jobs are eliminated through automation and outsourcing.

Outsourcing is moving jobs from one person to another rather than simply eliminating them.  But otherwise, what's new?  The industrial revolution did for loads of jobs, both craft (spinning) and labour (agriculture), while creating some that were almost inhuman (mining).  The invention of the typewriter did for the whole class of clerks.  Etc, etc.  We could go back to subsistence, I suppose, and be fully occupied staying alive (and having no Internet or central heating).  But anyway, there will always be adjustments going on, and a healthy economy is the best way to ensure enough jobs.  However, in a world where growth is limited, we may have to change the conventional definition of a healthy economy...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

How the fuck is that the way your laws work? You can just fire anyone for no reason? That's insanity.

In the more enlightened and sophisticated workplaces, the preferred procedure is to make the employee in question so miserable he or she quits.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

a labor oversupply which is only going to intensify as more jobs are eliminated through automation and outsourcing.

Outsourcing is moving jobs from one person to another rather than simply eliminating them.  But otherwise, what's new?  The industrial revolution did for loads of jobs, both craft (spinning) and labour (agriculture), while creating some that were almost inhuman (mining).  The invention of the typewriter did for the whole class of clerks.  Etc, etc.  We could go back to subsistence, I suppose, and be fully occupied staying alive (and having no Internet or central heating).  But anyway, there will always be adjustments going on, and a healthy economy is the best way to ensure enough jobs.  However, in a world where growth is limited, we may have to change the conventional definition of a healthy economy...

Rather we'll have to change the definition of productive labor.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

That may well be one aspect of it, certainly.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

So if Monday's Sara and Tuesday is Raven, maybe Wednesday's clerk will be Gabby.

Natasha or some male character we haven't seen in a bit.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Honestly, I am finding it fairly intimidating trying to explain my thoughts.  I am not a particularly intelligent individual, so I doubt I could properly voice the reasoning behind my opinions.  If that means that my views are worthless then I am sorry that I posted them.  I don't really want to be a bother, I just wanted to voice my feelings on the topic presented.

At first it seemed like you were basically just trolling. I think this caused you to receive a stronger negative reaction than you expected.

Now that we've determined that you're (probably, in my opinion) not just trolling but instead are trying to articulating a sincerely held set of opinions, it's an opportunity for fuller understanding on all sides.

As far as intimidation goes, there indeed are a lot of smart people on this forum. They hold strong principles forged in the heat of life-changing and sometimes drastic personal experience. Allow me to suggest to you that testing out your reasoning against such a gauntlet might be a way to hone your beliefs and drop that which might not be worth keeping.

The suggestion to lurk a bit is probably also a good one, if only to get a feel for the ebb and flow of conversation here and how to engage in it. Please keep posting.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

In the more enlightened and sophisticated workplaces, the preferred procedure is to make the employee in question so miserable he or she quits.
You forgot the "targeted RIF" (Reduction In Force):
"sorry, we've eliminated 10% of the positions in the company and yours was one of the 10%"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

They call it Redundancy here.

And I've been through it once, quit once (health reasons - the job was soul destroying and I got out before I found myself in a rubber room), been sacked once (but i was young, dumb and stupid back then) and, more recently, lost the job I had due to the boss fucking up the business and it going under.

May is a Mugwump.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Ah, yes, The Lay Off.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Had that done to me a couple of times. Wound up with better jobs and better pay both times.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Of course.  That way you don't have to pay unemployment benefits.  I "love" the trick some employers pull where they reduce your hours to zero, or at least close to it, but don't officially fire you in order to get around their legal obligations.  Fuck, I think that half the regulations and laws we have (and in some places, I think that *more* are needed, especially WRT employee termination) are simply because of sociopaths trying to skirt both the law and morality.  I know that out of my past jobs, only two employers didn't fight me on overtime pay, or otherwise commit violations of state labour laws.  I just never had the kinda money needed to sue any of those fuckers for everything they had.  I think it's high time for it to stop being a civil matter and start being a criminal one with *huge* penalties that are awarded to the wronged employee.

Edit:  More to the topic, AIs in the QC 'verse probably face even worse even when they *do* get hired.  They don't need to eat, or rest after all, and probably get exploited all the time on OT hours, since they won't fall victim to fatigue and make potentially dangerous mistakes.  Momo seems to have landed a pretty good gig at the library, since Tai is respectful of not only her, but her other minions as people, and she gets to go out like any other person would.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Darn!  I wanted it to be a snake. 

On the other hand, Marten now has a pet (or another pet depending on your view of Pintsize).
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Froglord approves.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

What a sweet kid!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Cute Sam is being cute. :)

Spiritz

• Not quite a lurker

Awww... I want a friendship frog...

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

For some reason, I picture her voice as a cross between Marcie and Peppermint Patty.

Of course, speculation on characters' voices could probably take up a thread all on its own...
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Of course, speculation on characters' voices could probably take up a thread all on its own...

There is one for Momo at this point.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

Sam's a sweet kid.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

For some reason I picture Marten's dad as having Patrick Stewart's voice. I have no clue why.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

They have no voice at all to me, and I'm really not sure why.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

They have no voice at all to me, and I'm really not sure why.

I'm that way with some of them. There are also a few whose appearance and demeanor reminds me of people I know, but those wouldn't make sense to anyone else who didn't know those people, or at least how they sounded.

Come to think of it, one of the things I dislike is when I see a movie of a book I've read and nobody sounds like they did to my mind's ear.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's weird...I don't think I have a mind's ear. I started reading the A Song of Ice and Fire books after I watched the show, so I guess when I was reading those I heard those voices. If I ever read the Harry Potter books again though, I'll probably hear them all as Stephen Fry as opposed to any of the movie characters since I spent so much time at work recently listening to most of the Harry Potter audiobooks.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

For some reason I picture Marten's dad as having Patrick Stewart's voice. I have no clue why.  :psyduck:

I'd have pictured something closer to Anderson Cooper, but that could also be partly because of his appearance.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

It's weird...I don't think I have a mind's ear. I started reading the A Song of Ice and Fire books after I watched the show, so I guess when I was reading those I heard those voices. If I ever read the Harry Potter books again though, I'll probably hear them all as Stephen Fry as opposed to any of the movie characters since I spent so much time at work recently listening to most of the Harry Potter audiobooks.

It doesn't happen with everything for me, but there are times that I have a very definite idea of what someone sounds like. Not sure why that is... and for some reason, I find it more jarring than when a character doesn't look how I expected.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

I seem to have stepped on some tails with my remark that some are more deserving of rights than others. Who is 'deserving' may be obvious to you, but not someone else. Which is why the subject is a touchy one.

So what is a "right" anyway? When someone says, "I have the right to xyz", he is saying "This is the way I want the world to work, and I expect all right thinking people to agree".

Rights are not bestowed automatically. They must be safeguarded and fought for.

So who should have what rights? Society decides. For instance, we seem to agree that felons should not be able to vote or carry guns. Does this work out for the best? Not always. We can only do our best to cope with an imperfect world.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Rights are not bestowed automatically.
Yes, they are. THAT IS WHAT MAKES THEM RIGHTS. It's also why everyone has them, even if they are too often not recognized or acknowledged.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I seem to have stepped on some tails with my remark that some are more deserving of rights than others. Who is 'deserving' may be obvious to you, but not someone else. Which is why the subject is a touchy one.

So what is a "right" anyway? When someone says, "I have the right to xyz", he is saying "This is the way I want the world to work, and I expect all right thinking people to agree".

So who should have what rights? Society decides. For instance, we seem to agree that felons should not be able to vote or carry guns. Does this work out for the best? Not always. We can only do our best to cope with an imperfect world.

On what basis, pray tell, do you propose to decide who among us -- whether sentient beings in a different container (as in the case of AIs in the QC-verse), or sentient beings whose race, gender expression, sexuality, et cetera, you may find disagreeable here in the real world -- deserve their rights?

And while we're at it, let's take up your other assertion: "So what is a "right" anyway? When someone says, 'I have the right to xyz', he is saying "This is the way I want the world to work, and I expect all right thinking people to agree'"

We expect -- rightly so, I think -- that rights should be "enforced" more or less equally. What you seem to be suggesting, in contrast, seems very close to asserting that certain groups asking for the same rights that several of us already enjoy are asking for "special rights." If I ask for the right to catapult flaming turkeys at my neighbor's house because Jesus, THAT is a special right. If I say that a transsexual ought to be able to enjoy the same right I have as a cis male to walk down the street without having the shit beaten out of them, that is not and ought not to be a special right; nor is the assertion that my wife should make the same money I do for the same job, or that my LGBT friends shouldn't have to worry about being fired for their sexual orientation. Again, equality isn't somehow a special case or status; it's what we owe each other just on the basis of our shared humanity.

Just my $.02 worth, mind you.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

They're not my character descriptors/analysis. They're the author's objectively true facts. http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2502 The asshole part was just my personal executive summary of her character to date.

I never said they were yours. Anyway, it was your personal executive summary I was questioning, not the author's "objectively true facts" (which they aren't - that's the character speaking, not the author).

Rights are not bestowed automatically.
Yes, they are. THAT IS WHAT MAKES THEM RIGHTS. It's also why everyone has them, even if they are too often not recognized or acknowledged.

You missed an important part that alters the meaning of what you quoted.

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Take it Marten.

Take it and pass it on to Hannelore.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Edit:  More to the topic, AIs in the QC 'verse probably face even worse even when they *do* get hired.  They don't need to eat, or rest after all, and probably get exploited all the time on OT hours, since they won't fall victim to fatigue and make potentially dangerous mistakes.  Momo seems to have landed a pretty good gig at the library, since Tai is respectful of not only her, but her other minions as people, and she gets to go out like any other person would.

I would preferentially hire AIs just for that honestly. Get some retired military AIs in civilian chassis, make sure they've downloaded the works of Col Cooper and the latest copy of Jane's and the NRA's latest instructor and range officer courses and turn them loose on the sales floor/range. They'd be doing a job related to their original gigs with way less risk and pressure, for a fair wage. I get dedicated, skilled, professional staffers who sure as shit aren't going to let shoplifting happen or screw up the till.

madhat

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Am I the only one that feels uneasy about the title "bread and salt"?

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

It's a title to take with a grain of salt....
Signature OF DOOM!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up