THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 01:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The biggest thing to happen this week will be:

The art change's effects on Claire, of course.
- 17 (24.3%)
How much SexyTimes talk Hannelore can stand.
- 9 (12.9%)
Some sort of insecurity thing with Marigold.
- 1 (1.4%)
Faye and Angus - the other shoe drops.
- 8 (11.4%)
Sven goes all-out emo.
- 6 (8.6%)
The return of RAVEN!
- 12 (17.1%)
The usual: Waffles, spathe ham, etc.
- 0 (0%)
Something completely out of left field.
- 17 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2766-2770 (11-15 August 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 42746 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Dora has heat-vision? Omega beams?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Cosette is my favorite character, but apparently Jeph has...been experimenting with her more, as she is not one of the main characters
That's inappropriate behaviour between an artist and his character, surely, even if she's not one o'the leads!

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Raven is described on the cast list as changing her appearence often.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

Hopefully, Sven has a lead-lined fridge handy...

As for Dora, this must be what seeing red means.
Signature OF DOOM!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Raven is described on the cast list as changing her appearence often.
So what you are saying is Cosette is Raven in disguise. Gotcha.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

These large liquid filled casks would certainly never be filled with alcohol. That would be illegal.

Hey, the Volstead Act says I can buy up to 200 gallons of grape juice a year for my own familial use.  Welches Says so long as I don't drop this yeast into it, it will not become wine. 

Oooops
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Are you not allowed to brew your own beer/make your own wine?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

It depends on local laws.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

The "people" here is family, which is different. Also, this isn't just any old situation....Faye is someone with severe emotional problems, who took forever to trust someone enough to get into a healthy relationship. Dora's brother is now screwing with that.  And this is after Sven and Faye had a sexually active relationship that went south when Sven cheated on her and caused massive issues. 

There's a history here, a history that Dora thought buried, and Sven's latest self-centered misstep further screws with Dora's best friend, which Sven should know is nothing but bad for Faye but obviously doesn't.

Dora has every right to be furious. The drama was already there.

There's been no confronting yet. I may or may not have confronted the guilty party in this case, I am merely saying that Dora's emotional reaction is both understandable and reasonable. How she chooses to act is an entirely different matter.

OK.  But notice how Dora's impending action seems imminent?  From the last panel, it doesn't seem like she's going to just sit around and let this take care of itself.  I mean, I hope she does, but that doesn't seem to be what's on her mind right now.

Faye is someone with severe emotional problems

She has also proven time and again just how much she's grown as a character, and that's she's much stronger than she even gives herself credit for.  She said she wants to let "Sven stir in his own juices", so I really don't get the impression she needs Dora to come in and create even more of a situation.

IMO not really.  The Drama mostly came and gone, and the most recent situation was handled by Faye because Faye is a big girl who can stick up for herself.  Now Dora is being angry largely due to her own very personal reasons.  OK, nobody's perfect, people are allowed to get mad.  And I totally understand the whole "sharing the feelings of your closest friends" bit as well.  But I seriously hope Dora is not going to do something "big", because in my own very worthless opinion, it'd be completely unnecessary. 
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2014, 05:16 by Jazzmaster »

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

If people in the story did only what was "necessary", it would be a boring story.

(No one will ever bother to write the story of my life.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Are you not allowed to brew your own beer/make your own wine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrewing#Legality

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I see this not going well. Dora will intervene, Faye gets angry at Dora for butting in, Dora overreacts and fires Faye.

Hanners grows despondent and asks her Dad to fire up the Orbital Railgun to nuke Coffee of Doom to a smoldering crater. Cue fripSide music.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2014, 05:34 by cesariojpn »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Honestly, I only see Dora going after Sven on this one. And he totally deserves and needs to have some sense knocked into him. So what I'm saying is... Pass me the popcorn. Dis is gonna get good.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Hmm... I wonder how long my quite extensive collection of rare Malts will last if I have to share it with you guys...

Twenty minutes, maybe an hour, tops. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Hm, I just realized, this whole thing happened after Emily tagged along with Marten and Sam to to woods, and Marten and Padma hooked up after they wend to the woods and Sam was also there, and in both cases snakes were involved, if I'm not remembering anything wrong. Maybe that's why he's worried, subliminally.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2014, 08:39 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

ASB84

wow, I did not recognize Cosette until I read the dialogue. I fell like she is the most inconsistently drawn character for Jeph.
Yes. Please check one of my previous posts here.
Cosette is my favorite character, but apparently Jeph has had problems determining how she looks (or he has been experimenting with her more, as she is not one of the main characters).

In that arc you mentioned in the other thread, I was initially thrown by the fact she was drawn with brown eyes. I guess that's kind of nitpicky of me, but given how most of the female characters have brown eyes, Cosette's blue eyes kind of become one of the standout traits of her design. When she appeared with brown eyes, and with Marten's confused "Agh?" reaction, for a moment I thought it was also a reveal that Steve was cheating on her.

I have mixed feelings about Sven's current arc. I feel it's both in-character for him because he's shown in the past that he's perfectly capable of being a selfish douche, yet at the same time I feel he should be a bit more savvy than that, given what we've seen of him in the past. I like that it's an opportunity to scorn the "entitled jerk who thinks he's a 'nice guy' and complains that being a 'nice guy' doesn't get him anywhere" phenomenon, but at the same time, I'm a bit disappointed that that's where his character went, rather than the whole thing with Faye throwing him for a loop and him trying to deal with it in a more mature manner.

It feels like character evolution and regression at the same time. Strangest of all...I actually kind of like it, because it's not completely black and white. I guess at the end of the day, I'm interested to see where it goes.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Hmm... I wonder how long my quite extensive collection of rare Malts will last if I have to share it with you guys...

I'll need to bring a barrell of barleywine then...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Smallest

• Curry sauce

The "people" here is family, which is different. Also, this isn't just any old situation....Faye is someone with severe emotional problems, who took forever to trust someone enough to get into a healthy relationship. Dora's brother is now screwing with that.  And this is after Sven and Faye had a sexually active relationship that went south when Sven cheated on her and caused massive issues. 

There's a history here, a history that Dora thought buried, and Sven's latest self-centered misstep further screws with Dora's best friend, which Sven should know is nothing but bad for Faye but obviously doesn't.

There's been no confronting yet. I may or may not have confronted the guilty party in this case, I am merely saying that Dora's emotional reaction is both understandable and reasonable. How she chooses to act is an entirely different matter.

OK.  But notice how Dora's impending action seems imminent?  From the last panel, it doesn't seem like she's going to just sit around and let this take care of itself.  I mean, I hope she does, but that doesn't seem to be what's on her mind right now.

Faye is someone with severe emotional problems

She has also proven time and again just how much she's grown as a character, and that's she's much stronger than she even gives herself credit for.  She said she wants to let "Sven stir in his own juices", so I really don't get the impression she needs Dora to come in and create even more of a situation.

IMO not really.  The Drama mostly came and gone, and the most recent situation was handled by Faye because Faye is a big girl who can stick up for herself.  Now Dora is being angry largely due to her own very personal reasons.  OK, nobody's perfect, people are allowed to get mad.  And I totally understand the whole "sharing the feelings of your closest friends" bit as well.  But I seriously hope Dora is not going to do something "big", because in my own very worthless opinion, it'd be completely unnecessary.

Thought we don't know for sure until next week, I agree with Jazz. Dora's jealousy over Sven/Faye or Sven/anyone has never been for the woman's best interests. With Faye, that was an added annoyance, but the part that pissed her off was that her friend slept with her brother, and ohmygod it's like highschool all over again.

Also, just to reply to various things above that- Faye's 'relationship' with Sven, though not really a relationship, was healthy in her and her therapist's opinion. She has trusted plenty of people quite wholeheartedly, just not while either being interested or feeling up to seeing them (Dora, Hanners, for the former, and Marten, though that was a while ago, for the latter). Her mental illness is, iirc, medicated and at least in therapy treatment. She does not need Dora to get in the middle of this, especially because the fallout from it might Dora as a friend (not because she'll necessarily ever get with Sven, but because no one, let alone bristly Faye, likes it when someone interferes or causes drama).

Also, not entirely related- I imagine with Dora's very likely confrontation Sven's ABOUT to find out that Faye's relationship is in the bad (unless he's an evil psychic and already knows). His response to that information should confirm or deny his assholeyness. ("Well in that case I'll try again next week and it'll work" vs "oh shit I didn't know that, poor Faye' vs somewhere in between ('oh, crap, I thought I was doing the nicest I could. but I guess this means I have a chance'))

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Dora and Sven are siblings. There's literally a lifetime of emotional baggage that one of them carries around related to the other (can't remember which is older)

Sven will have been in the crosshairs of and have developed strong defenses against pretty much anything Dora can throw at him.

The interesting question for me is whether the newfound feeling of Actual Love for someone will put enough of a chink in his armor that she may be able to get through to him this time... he might be receptive to her (probably non-)constructive criticism for once.

Another thing I have a theory about...
[puts on flame retardant undies]
...it struck me during Faye and Marten's interaction this week that each of them were more initially weirded out about their respective situations than usual. It makes me wonder if perhaps they have deeper feelings for the other side (Sven and Emily) than they know or want to admit. (reference my "latent desire" comments from prev weeks(no I don't want to let that go yet))

If either of them were totally uninterested in the other parties then there wouldn't be an issue, would there?

Flame away.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

It's a possibility that Marten has some kind of feelings for Emily. He was very flustered when Tai teased him about what he thought briefly was a love note from Emily. But then he also was flustered for a while after the falling asleep with Claire situation. And the hook up with Delilah. And Padma. And fights with Dora. And early on with Faye. He just gets flustered easily when women are concerned. At least potential romantic situations anyway.

Faye.. Even if she had any lingering feelings for Sven, this has probably killed them. It was just a case of the worst time to spring a random 'I'm in love with you, person I barely dated' scene. Given she's all stressed out about her relationship with Angus.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Cosette is my favorite character, but apparently Jeph has...been experimenting with her more, as she is not one of the main characters
That's inappropriate behaviour between an artist and his character, surely, even if she's not one o'the leads!
Cosette is so clumsy that only experimentation and limb/tissue grafts have allowed her to live this long.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

...it struck me during Faye and Marten's interaction this week that each of them were more initially weirded out about their respective situations than usual. It makes me wonder if perhaps they have deeper feelings for the other side (Sven and Emily) than they know or want to admit. (reference my "latent desire" comments from prev weeks(no I don't want to let that go yet))

If either of them were totally uninterested in the other parties then there wouldn't be an issue, would there?

Flame away.

I half-agree.  I think Marten might be harboring some latent feelings toward Emily, though how strong or how willing he'd be to act on them is up for debate. 

With Sven, I don't think it's the feelings causing this much stress.  I've been where Faye is.  Whether she has feelings for him or not is almost irrelevant, because she's dealing with her boyfriend - the first guy she's been really HAPPY with in a HEALTHY relationship - possibly getting a part in a city six hours away which would force her to make some pretty big life decisions, and now Sven's trying to burden her with his emotional baggage at exactly the same time, and I'm sure she doesn't want Angus finding out about that for a variety of reasons, so that adds an extra layer of stress to the whole thing.  At the very least, that'd make any girl ANGRY enough to want to get it out with her best friend. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Omega beams?
Don't piss off Dora, you'll awaken her Darkseid.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

That should get us an extra hour or so...

I'll grab as many cases of Guinness as I can from work.  The kid's radio flyer should be around here somewhere...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheEvilDog

There will be blood.
None of the main cast or secondary characters.
Probably a hobo living rough near the Coffee of Doom.
But yeah, there will be blood.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I'll grab as many cases of Guinness as I can from work.  The kid's radio flyer should be around here somewhere...

I have bottles of various liquors (including single malts) and some bottles of very miscellaneous wines I can contribute.

We'll do all right.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Sinda!  His face black, his eyes red!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I have bottles of various liquors (including single malts) and some bottles of very miscellaneous wines I can contribute.

We'll do all right.
I'm not sure how this started but I like where this thread is going.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Dora, her army, with fists closed.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Dora, her army, with fists closed.

Sven, when the walls fell
James The Kugai 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The biggest thing to happen this week will be:

The art change's effects on Claire, of course.    16 (23.5%)
How much SexyTimes talk Hannelore can stand.    8 (11.8%)
Some sort of insecurity thing with Marigold.    1 (1.5%)
Faye and Angus - the other shoe drops.    8 (11.8%)
Sven goes all-out emo.    6 (8.8%)
The return of RAVEN!    12 (17.6%)
The usual: Waffles, spathe ham, etc.    0 (0%)
Something completely out of left field.    17 (25%) <== and EXPLOSIVE!

Total Members Voted: 68

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

The river Cosette in winter.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

And was repealed a decade later if memory serves
James The Kugai 

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

The Beast of Tequila
James The Kugai 

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

And was repealed a decade later if memory serves

1933 (also working from memory, so don't quote me on that).
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Carl-E

• Awakened

The Volstead act became the 18th amendment to the constitution, (1920).  It was repealed by the 21st amendment (1933), which is why there's a chain of liquor stores named "21st Amendment".  They were in Indiana, I don't know how far they spread (there was one up the alley from my wife's first apartment in W. Lafayette). 

In between, women were allowed to vote (19th amendment, 1920) and the start of the terms of congress and the presidency were moved from March to January (20th amendment, 1933). 

Important business...

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

The Beast of Tequila

Marten and Faye, their eyes closed
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

The Beast of Tequila

Angus, his arms wide
James The Kugai 

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

The Beast of Tequila

Angus, his arms wide

Pintsize, his butt vibrating
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

The Beast of Tequila

Angus, his arms wide

Pintsize, his butt vibrating

Pintsize, his butt at rest.
James The Kugai 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Pilchard, thoroughly confused.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

A classic, worth renting.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Pilchard, enlightened.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Tamaranian, the baby's candy.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Meme, running its course.  :police:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I still don't really understand.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

This YouTube video, this Wikipedia article and this Memory Alpha article should explain.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I still don't really understand.

Neither did Picard, at first.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up