Marten Mainly Mumbles Methodiclly
Steve Swallows Serially
Battling Bianchi Battlezone
Tai Terrorizes Tall Twin
Jeph Jacques Japes
Waffling Waffles Wander Wonderingly
Butts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2796-2800 (22-26 September 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 161721 times)

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Oh, and lest ye forget, comic 1000 featured gratuitous nudity!

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1000
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Gratudity!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

T

Claire's Disney Princess hair doesn't only entice woodland creatures but also drunk friends!
Or, if Emily is any indication, rather weird friends as well.

Edit:  Prediction:  Marten has to yell for Faye to extricate his hands, she thinks it's something to do with him and Claire being "unprofessional", he passes out on the sofa, and Claire, realising that she is stuck as well polishes off the bourbon and coming face to face with one of the drunken hallucinations, and spends the rest of the night talking to the Beast of Bourbon until she too passes-out.

And them they puked!
Yelling Bird -Pintsize-

TheEvilDog

Prediction for tomorrow - Yelling Bird Comic.
And then the forum burns while someone plays the lute. Probably Linds, because Linds is the first person that came to mind...

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Edit: It seems I have missed that there was a page break  :psyduck:

Quote for context:
It seems like the hair texture stuff went missing in this strip. I don't mind it being gone in general, but i did think it looked pretty great on Claire's hair.

Edit: Ahh, never mind, it comes back in the next story event, just a little break. >_>

That was the difference between Jeph using his small tablet and his big Cintiq at home. With the small tablet he doesn't have the hair textures, and also the titles are different.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Sour notes come anyway, for they are the bearers of plot advancement. But in this moment, before the advance of any possible sour aftermath, there is sweetness.

But yeah. Marten landing in and staying in a stable, healthy relationship is a sure sign of End Times for Northampton. There's just something about being a main character. It's like you're a fulcrum upon which the fate of the universe balances. The fictional universe, anyway.

EDIT: It just came to me. The hitch in all of this is overprotective Clinton.

There's any number of other types of drama that can come up besides romantic drama. It's entirely possible that a Claire/Marten pairing could go just fine-ish and some other part of Marten's life could go completely to hell instead, 'cause, y'know, Marten.

Marten does not want Faye to leave. That must mean that he does not want this to develop into something needing privacy.
I don't think Marten 'want' or 'not want' Faye to leave, he looks more surprised than anything else IMHO.

I thought it was a look of sheer "But you can't be leaving! There's still bourbon!"
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Faye is Marten's best friend. She wants him to be happy, and has decided he is overdue for a new relationship. Enter Faye the Matchmaker. She has been screening possible candidates, and narrowed it down to a couple of library interns. Her verdict:
  • Emily: Pretty, with wealthy parents and a nice summer cottage. But just too weird.
  • Claire: Horrible puns, easy to intimidate. But quite adorable. Probably the best match for Marten.
Faye was not involved in the Delilah affair, but felt sorry for him afterwards. Now, she has decided to play a more active role in Marten's love life. She is afraid Emily is on the verge of seducing Marten, and has decided to act before it is too late.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I see so much going on in Claire's face...
Surprise
Pleasure
Interest
Joy

But I think underpinning all of this is:
Relief

I suspect that a major component of her reaction is knowing that she's getting intimate attention from someone to whom she's out. Like she knows that there's not another shoe that could drop this time because she's already taken care of that.

Am I off base?

efrumttr

• Not quite a lurker

I see so much going on in Claire's face...
Surprise
Pleasure
Interest
Joy

But I think underpinning all of this is:
Relief

I suspect that a major component of her reaction is knowing that she's getting intimate attention from someone to whom she's out. Like she knows that there's not another shoe that could drop this time because she's already taken care of that.

Am I off base?

I'm trans, and I think you're dead on here. It was one of the first things I thought too, at least.

I'm still not sure whether Claire really has a thing for Marten or if she's just letting Faye plant the idea in her head.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I think that's about half of what she's  feeling. Balance that with the fact that she's never been in a relationship before so doesn't know how to react, and Marten is one of her closest friends so she really, really doesn't want to screw things up with him. But she's tempted to just give in and let this happen. At the same time, she's tempted to flee in panic.

Been there. Done that. Fled in panic. I'm not proud of it.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I just have to say (Fingers crossed...)
I love it when a ship comes together.
:P
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Not yet, guys.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mystere9

• Not quite a lurker

Just thought I'd pop in to mention that tomorrow is a Friday. And that today also marks the 1000th strip of Marten being single. ahem.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well, singlish at the very least. Padma, after all. They were never together but they were dating, even if briefly and casual.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new people!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

It's funny how many new forumites join when there's a huge cliffhanger incoming.

(I joined during the wedding arc I believe)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I always forget how new you are, Masterpiece. Also, apparently I forget how long ago certain events in the comic happened because you joined a year and a half ago. Yikes, I didn't realize the wedding was that long ago.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Year and a Half

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

ALL HANDS, BRACE FOR IMPACT!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

Year and a Half
Been nearly four years since the break-up and that's when I joined.
My, how time flies when you're having fun! :roll:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

hehe. And I joined when Claire came out to Marten. It's the big events that tend to move people from being just lurkers to active participants.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Joined on the 9th of May 2006 - can't even remember what was going on then.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SteveCostello

• Not quite a lurker

It's the big events that tend to move people from being just lurkers to active participants.

I have NO idea what you are talking about...

... also, SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I *think* I joined at some point in a Marigold/Dale teasing arc.

Edit: my posts tell me I joined during the Marigold/Tai fanfic arc. At least I remembered Marigold was involved!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I joined when Marten got the library job, sent here from "Unshelved".
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I started reading QC around the time Momo got a new body, and looking through my post history tells me I joined the forum during the "QC IN SPACE" storyline.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Cosette's introduction.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Tuesday comic is Clinton's body being attacked by raccoons in a backalley, then, where he is found by Dale Jimbo.

Fixed that for you

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I joined on 3rd June 2009, around the time Hannelore was called in to clean Marigold's flat. The first strip I commented on was this one.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

I joined yesterday, but I started reading about 2 weeks ago when I came across Claire coming out in a strip on tumblr.
I came here for the interest in a trans character, but ended up reading the archive in 2 days and now I'm hooked on all of it.
SO FLUFFY!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

So, I found this on Jeph's tumblr: http://jephjacques.com/post/89450795950/new-poster-ive-been-working-on-for-the-last

From left to right...

Rear row: Marigold, Dale, Emily, Jim, Veronica, Wil, Sven
Middle/front row: Momo, Sam, Angus, Faye, Winslow, Marten, Claire, Penelope, Hannelore, Pintsize, Tai, Dora

* bhtooefr starts raising the anchor

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

*stretches forum-legs*
Aaaaaahhhhh, I wonder how long it's been since I posted something here.  I think it's been two years?

anyways,

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MARTEN AND CLAIRE ARE ADORABLE

Edit:  Oh, it's only been four months since I joined.  Huh.  must be some other forum I never post to that I joined a couple of years ago.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Jumping out of semi-lurker mode to say my two cents.

I have no issue if Marten and Claire end up in a relationship.  But in terms of good character development, I really really hope Marten doesn't say something like "I just never thought about dating someone trans before!"

I mean, seriously, dude has a gay father.  Not to mention a mom who's a professional dom and fetish model, which meant he was raised in a family where heteronormative, vanilla sexuality was not to be expected.  Even if he ultimately reacted by being pretty sexually conventional, he must have went through a period he questioned it.  Not in a terrified to not be straight manner, but in a "Hrrm...what's the right thing me?" manner.  Thus I'd expect that every possibility, including dating someone trans, has at least crossed his mind before, even if he even ultimately rejected it.

The bottom line is I'd expect he'll either be cool with it and act as if it's no big deal (because he's actually into the idea) or he'll let her down gently.  But I don't expect a lot of "huh buh wuh?" beyond Martin's typical reaction whenever a lady likes him. 

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

I joined right before the space station arc. SPATHE HAM!
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, more new people!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

Jumping out of semi-lurker mode to say my two cents.

I have no issue if Marten and Claire end up in a relationship.  But in terms of good character development, I really really hope Marten doesn't say something like "I just never thought about dating someone trans before!"
naw dude, Marten is too chill to get worked up over whether or not Claire's trans.  Jeph knows this.

remember when Claire came out to him? Marten was just like, "Okay, cool."

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

So, I found this on Jeph's tumblr: http://jephjacques.com/post/89450795950/new-poster-ive-been-working-on-for-the-last

* bhtooefr starts raising the anchor

Not complete enough for me to make any judgments, the shoulders are overlapping so you can't get perspective and I need to know where Marten's other arm is.

Edit-Actually, I might see both his arms, I don't know if that's his left arm or Claire's right, though more likely his I think because he's talking.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2014, 17:30 by Rghfrgl »

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Welcome, more new people!

I actually first registered on the forum in 2008.  Just haven't had anything much to say since then. 

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

If you go to the store you can preview the finished copy of that poster.
SO FLUFFY!

Y

• Curry sauce

I started reading on the April fools switcharoo in 2008, when xkcd redirected here, and QC redirected to dinosaur comics. It was #1110.

T

She is afraid Emily is on the verge of seducing Marten, and has decided to act before it is too late.
I know right? The feathers and mice weren't enough but if she had time to complete the nest them Marten would be unable to resist!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Uh oh:

Quote from: 'Jacques O'Lantern @jephjacques (Twitter)'
[looks at QC] [picks up a big old ratchet] [RACHET RATCHET RATCHET RATCHET]

muahahahahah

Ruh roh raggy!

I didn't see it so much as that Marten wanted Faye not to leave, but merely that he didn't actively want her to leave, which he would have done if he was hoping to make a move. I don't think he's the sort of person who would consciously "make a move" on someone anyway, but the fact that it doesn't seem to have crossed his mind at all says quite a lot.

I think you're giving Marten friend entirely too much credit for being smooth and you know, forward. Marten doesn't do forward. He doesn't do assertive. Making the first move with a pretty girl is a pretty forward and assertive thing, that if he planned it out, he'd probably be neurotic over for a dozen odd strips. "Shit, shit shit, should I kiss her? Would she be okay with that? There was that one night we snuggled together most of a night..." until the whole forum and universe at large would shout...

Thankfully comrade Bourbon has come to the rescue. Which has to be at least part reason that Marten's hands are wrist deep in Claire's magnificent coiffure. (Fancy Word of the Day darlings!) 

ALL HANDS, BRACE FOR IMPACT!!!

hehe. And I joined when Claire came out to Marten. It's the big events that tend to move people from being just lurkers to active participants.

Same, when the trans thing started getting big on the forum is right around when I started having developments with a trans girl in my own life and I realized "Huh. I know NOTHING about this shit, and have no idea where to get reliable information about this shit. Also I am shit. Shit." google wasn't helping, and the Righteous and Good Lady ZoeB of Upsidedownland (to give her full title :P) was posting lots of things that seemed informative, so I joined pretty much specifically to PM her to pester her with questions.

Hmmm, well Marten's arm isn't around her waist or anything, but Marten friend and Claire friend ARE standing awful close.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I joined the forum just after the beach party arc concluded. I think I followed a link here from xkcd when I should have been studying for an exam, and wound up archive-binging for four days. Still passed the exam too.  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I started reading on the April fools switcharoo in 2008, when xkcd redirected here, and QC redirected to dinosaur comics. It was #1110.
Oh wow, I remember that switcheroo. That was a fun April Fools' to be on the internet for.

I've been reading for... ages, really. I don't even remember how long. Possibly somewhere around when Marten and Dora started becoming a thing? Ages, and also longtime lurking. My profile says I've been registered since last December, during the "Marigold tries to get Momo to ask Dale out for her, fails spectacularly" flap.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Leveton

• Not quite a lurker

I joined just before the cliffhanger at Marten and Faye's when Claire went back with them from the party at the bar.

I mentioned somewhere else that Marten/Claire is the first time I've ever really understood "shipping." I mean, I knew what it is and knew why people got invested in the love lives of their favorite fictional characters, but I was never that invested. Now I am. Go, Marten/Claire!

neurocase

• Furry furrier

I was really confused for a moment by the guy in the back. And while I'm as excited about the developments potentially about to occur, can I just alert people to the fact that...

JJIM SHAVED HIS SOUL PATCH

Ground breaking. Earth shattering.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2014, 18:37 by neurocase »

Chelicerate

• Furry furrier

Pretty sure I joined during the breakup arc (started reading the forums then, at the very least) but I only really started posting after Claire came out to clear up misconceptions (and get very irate and rude in the process).

New comic's posted but it's not fully loaded for me aaaaaaaaaaaa

edit: IT'S EVERYTHING I HOPED FOR

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

That look on Claire's face, bwahahahaha ^_^

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

new page is up! omg so cute!
SO FLUFFY!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Snuggling and scratching her back... ohhhhh myyyyy.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up