• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 166335 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

"We interrupt your regularly scheduled program for this breaking News ......"
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

E: All of the above.

For all the dialogue between the two of them, they've left a lot more unsaid than said. Angus doesn't know what -- or more precisely, who -- he's dealing with. And for all her progress, Faye still hasn't even quite got herself ironed out. The options aren't ideal, but neither one of them, at this point, is making it any easier for the other. Angus is happy and wants Faye to share that happiness, but I don't think he even gets how unhappy she is, and I think that's part of the source of his boneheaded remarks. Faye, on the other hand, wants Angus to be happy, but I think it's finally starting to dawn on her that she's allowed a situation where his happiness trumps hers.

The situation is still salvageable, but it's going to take a much deeper and more difficult conversation than either of them has had with the other up to this point.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't know if Jeph planned it this way. Still, Faye's behavior fits her pattern. She has gotten better. A lot better. But she still hasn't healed. She made an improvement and she has been coasting since. Just like after she made the decision to move to Massachusetts. She recovered from a breakdown with hospitalization, reached a point where she could function and stopped there until the stress of being unable to pursue anything with Marten pushed her forward.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Natasha coming back might be a good idea honestly. 

Necro-post bump: Jeph has completely written out Natasha from the strip.

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

Necro-post bump: Jeph has completely written out Natasha from the strip.

Also on said page:

- Since you brought it up recently, just who HAVE you written out of the strip permanently? Honestly, I can’t think of anyone.

- Sarah, Ellen, Nat, any chance at happiness for Marten

Oh-huh....

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

After realizing Marten currently has a shot of happiness, tomorrows comic has him being killed by a allosaurus. Raven returns and is promoted to main character.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Sometimes, I think that Jeph must have recent British blood. He has a very British ironic sense of humour and I do think some people take his tongue-in-cheek pronouncements a bit too seriously. That comment about Marten's happiness being, of course, thumbing his nose at fans of more obscure ships (although I'd be fascinated to learn his original intentions for Sarah before he decided not to use her after all).

Now for a bit of Kremlinology: The last filler strip, Momo and May, covered an eight hours or so time skip between Claire putting sense before desire and Marten's awakening. I'll make a guess here and predict that we aren't going to see the end of Faye's talk with Angus but rather skip to the consequences, probably the next in-universe day.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

They call me BenRG...

But I don't know why!

Perhaps it's a portmanteau, complimenting you for displaying beneficent energy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

swapna

• Curry sauce

I can't help but think that "stalker" and "harassment" tags - quite serious ones - get thrown around here very lightly.

That I didn't mean to do, but I've been in that situation where people come back no matter how often you tell them they should stay away and that you're not interested, and think their 'persistence' will win them anything. Angus (and Dale) exhibit such behaviours, and while the 'law of romantic comedies' says that they end up with the girl they chose to stalk, it's not a very good example. Neither is Faye abusing Marten all the time, or Hanners stalking him or whatever, but in this case I was talking about Angus. Put yourself in Faye's shoes: that guy comes back after she physically assaults him for bothering her at the bar or in the coffee shop and very clearly states that she wants nothing to do with him. How is that not creepy?

Also: Love Pintsize after all that relationship drama ;)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Angus pushed the envelope. Faye wasn't into it and he was being a tiny bit of a creeper. Dale, likewise was being a tiny bit of a creeper to Marigold and they are boning every five seconds. Yet the women who exhibited behavior similar to this were not afforded that same luxury.

Yeah it's really impossible to imagine Jeph doing something like, I don't know, portraying a female character engaged in domestic abuse against a physically weaker target for 500 strips and playing it off as a slapstick, odd-couple gag because haha gender reversal is funny. That would basically be a different comic!

I'm presuming you weren't actually making this as a proper point, but I feel it's worth noting to other people that I think most would consider the early days of the comic to be from a time when Jeph might have been less aware of the implications of this violence being used for comedy.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BenRG

• coprophage

I'm wondering if this filler strip is covering a change of venue. Faye might not want to have a discussion in a public place (have a screaming argument in the middle of Coffee of Doom). She knows that Marten and Claire might be at her apartment but that, given it's a weekend, Marigold is probably with Dale. So, I think she and Angus are going to meet at his apartment to 'discuss' this matter a bit more in privacy.

The discussion will be in the next two strips and, for some reason, I can see the last panel of Friday's strip be May and Momo sticking their heads in to ask the two humans to be a bit quieter as they're trying to do stuff themselves.
~~~~

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

I guess today's strip (Pintsize and Winslow) is just a filler strip, so we do not get the cliffhanger until Friday. As always, Jeph is the Trollmaster. Week-ends just last too long after I started reading QC. Perhaps Jeph could start publishing Alice Grove on Saturdays and Sundays, so the waiting time gets less agonizing?

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I'm pretty sure Jeph needs to keep his weekends as stress-free as possible, so I doubt he'll start posting comics on them. And so far, Alice Grove is hardly enough of a substitute for QC, at least in my view.
What do you know about Pokémon?

BenRG

• coprophage

Perhaps Jeph could start publishing Alice Grove on Saturdays and Sundays, so the waiting time gets less agonizing?

I'm not sure that would work in the way that you think it would. Especially for those of us who wouldn't want to wait five days to find out what happens next in AG.
~~~~

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

True. QC progress is slow, but AG progress is glacial at best. Besides less episodes per week, AG has no daily punchline, it is more epic. I guess the best way to read AG is to catch up a couple of times a year.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

I always suspected that, uh, "marital aids" would play a critical role in the violent destruction of mankind. 

:psyduck:

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Hrrm...thinking about it, when was the last time before this we saw Winslow?  Was it over 1000 comics ago?  Momo sort of replaced him as the "straight man" foil for Pintsize for awhile, although now that she's human sized she doesn't seem to interact with him any longer. 

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

True. QC progress is slow, but AG progress is glacial at best. Besides less episodes per week, AG has no daily punchline, it is more epic. I guess the best way to read AG is to catch up a couple of times a year.
Yay! It's been only 7 comics so far. Give Jeph some time to develop the storyline, it looks to me it will become a worthwhile read. He seems to be using plot elements I've come to like a lot in QC, a world very similar at a similar time than the one we live in, yet clearly distinct in some aspects, like Alice being able to fly instead of falling, being referred to as "The witch", and blue boys with tails. I like the idea, and I am keen to see how the story develops.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

domestic abuse
Heh.
Quote from: Jeph
I am pretty certain this is the most risque QC is ever going to get.

Shremedy

• Balloon animal serial killer

Interesting to see that Pintsize's misanthropy has progressed beyond even the Linux anthroPC's (I misremember the name), and solidly into dieselsweeties Red Robot territory....hm, would hating other robots be called misanthroPC?
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

The next two strips

Steve eating Cereal
Cereal eating Steve.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

The next two strips

Steve eating Cereal
Cereal eating Steve.

Cereal overthrowing the robot revolution?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Heh.

Hold on, lemme go troll the archives abit.....

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

domestic abuse
Heh.

Noooooope, not even close.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

That was my point. He's done plenty of comics since that live up to the name.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

New comic is theoretically up (I can't see it yet) and the text under it is "oh nooooo". This doesn't bode well for Faye and Angus...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Ouch.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote from: Someone on Jeph's Twitter
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

New comic is theoretically up (I can't see it yet) and the text under it is "oh nooooo". This doesn't bode well for Faye and Angus...

There is boding and much of it is of the 'fore' variety...

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

just go to manual mode and its up. but damn that last panel

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Yeah, this doesn't look good...

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Jeez, Jeph, can't you let us stay in shiny happy land for a little while longer? Must you always bring us back down with a thud?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

♫♪ "When this ship dies . . .
Yeah, when this ship's dead and gone
There'll be one new love in the strip, to carry on . . .
To carry on . . . ."  ♫♪

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

"The buggers got us, Taipan!! It's all over now!!"

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Jeez, Jeph, can't you let us stay in shiny happy land for a little while longer? Must you always bring us back down with a thud?

I said it earlier but its setting up for some juxtaposition between claire/marten and faye/angus most likely next week tuesday/wednesday

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Breaking News Alert!

A paddle steamer has been spotted at the edge of Niagara Falls. The question that remains is how many Youtube views it will get.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

There's only room on this ocean for one ship. All others must go down in flames.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Looks like Faye's going to end things with a whimper and not a bang.  Good for her if she does.  It shows how much she's grown as a person. 

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Looks like Faye's going to end things with a whimper and not a bang.  Good for her if she does.  It shows how much she's grown as a person. 

Just the calm before the storm.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Two 'ships enter, one 'ship leaves!  :cry:

Poor Faye, her post breakup misery is going to be compounded when she finds Marten floating around on Cloud 9 with his new girlfriend.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

swapna

• Curry sauce

I agree. I really hope they have a calm conversation about their feelings, and Faye is honest with Angus, for the first time in weeks (in-comic-time). Sven doesn't even have to be a topic, just those two and their relationship, no matter what they want to do with it.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN... *act break*
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I agree. I really hope they have a calm conversation about their feelings, and Faye is honest with Angus, for the first time in weeks (in-comic-time). Sven doesn't even have to be a topic, just those two and their relationship, no matter what they want to do with it.

That would be long overdue.

Two 'ships enter, one 'ship leaves!  :cry:

Poor Faye, her post breakup misery is going to be compounded when she finds Marten floating around on Cloud 9 with his new girlfriend.

Yeah, but if anything, Marten's supportive to his friends, especially Faye... which has led to problems in the past (specifically, when he was with Dora), and may also with Claire. On the other hand, that could be a test for how far both of them have come (and how different this relationship will be for Marten), if Faye's able to process this differently than she's done in the past, and if Claire can see Marten and Faye's relationship for what it is, rather than viewing it as a threat.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

Well, shit. Are we going to get more strips with the therapist?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I hope so!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

Hmmm. I predict Friday will leave many of us in something resembling tears.

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

Two ships enter! One ship leaves!

Please please please please please no mistakes with Sven. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

Two ships enter! One ship leaves!

Please please please please please no mistakes with Sven. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

Oh come on. We BOTH know that's not how QC works. Bad decisions, in the QC universe, exist for the purpose of being made, in all but the most dire of scenarios.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Breaking News Alert!

A paddle steamer has been spotted at the edge of Niagara Falls. The question that remains is how many Youtube views it will get.

Great callback.

The worst thing would be for Faye to "guilt" Angus into not taking the job. As a result, I'm betting that steamer is about to crash, burn, and have a million YouTube views.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening    42 (35.9%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)    6 (5.1%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!    16 (13.7%)
Moms Meet!    8 (6.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!    11 (9.4%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!    6 (5.1%)
Pintsize!    6 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!    6 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!    1 (0.9%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?    8 (6.8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!    7 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 117
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Well, shit. Are we going to get more strips with the therapist?

Has Faye, or especially Dora even been going?, i just ask since Dora is back to making totally irrational decisions again (the brother thing)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20   Go Up