THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 22:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is going to let Brun stay with them? (Two choices)

Hannelore (Because two strange girls make for plenty of interesting stories)
- 17 (16.7%)
Dora and Tai (Why not?)
- 0 (0%)
ClaireMom (She has rooms free now, after all, and she thinks having a roommate will make Chad more circumspect)
- 18 (17.6%)
Veronica (Because it turns out she has lots of savings and can easily afford the lease when VV moves out)
- 3 (2.9%)
Dale (Because he needs a house-sitter when he's at Marigold's place)
- 8 (7.8%)
Marten and Faye (Because who needs living space anyway?)
- 5 (4.9%)
Steve and Cossette (Surprise!)
- 4 (3.9%)
One of Brun's out-of-town friends (Because 'out of town' doesn't mean 'out of reach')
- 14 (13.7%)
Corpse Witch ("I'm always here for you, Little Miss!")
- 7 (6.9%)
The other new character from Jeph's development sketches (Because he really is rejigging the cast)
- 17 (16.7%)
Elliot from the Secret Bakery. Everybody loves Elliot, right?
- 9 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3231 - 3235 (30th May to 3rd June 2016)  (Read 64951 times)

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT Strips 3231 - 3235 (30th May to 3rd June 2016)
« Reply #150 on: 01 Jun 2016, 01:27 »

This forum often makes me realize just how different cultures are across the world. Threats of violence aren't exactly rare, the joke being they'd never actually do anything. Not so funny until you know the person making the threats, I'll admit.

Example: I took a miss, the first chance I had to kiss a girl. Her father was on the porch cleaning his guns, with a devilish glint in his eye. At the time, I was terrified. Now I get that's just his sense of humor. He's hardly the only one in the area to do this kind of thing.

Call it bad jokes, I wouldn't disagree. I'd disagree that you have a right to SAY that as an objective fact, because humor's subjective, but that's just arguing semantics. Doesn't really matter, the fact is that's just how it is in my town. And not how it is in anyone else's, which is the main thing I've realized, since this isn't the first time I've noticed this.

Yeah, but... in this particular case, the joke is made by the author of the comic, not by the character. There's nothing about the context of the conversation that indicates the threats were anything but serious and/or overreacting to a sudden scary development. I think that's different than someone jokingly threatening somebody.

Heck, I've made threats of violence as jokes on occasion. When I'm mildly annoyed by my wife's antics, one of my go-to responses is "honey, I love you, but I'm gonna murder you to death and any court will acquit me" or variations thereof.

I'll give you that there are cultural differences regarding what's acceptable and what is not, but in this case, I think the situation is not about humor. I mean, from the reader's point of view, yes, but not in-story, if that makes any sense.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #151 on: 01 Jun 2016, 01:59 »

I think people are missing a significant point here: We are not supposed to laugh at Renee's threats because the threats are funny. We are supposed to laugh at Renee for behaving that way. She, like the original characterisation of Faye, is meant to be a grotesque - A character with such an extreme character flaw (or several) that she seems ridiculous, even though she considers herself credible and correct in her behaviour. It is the extreme and other characters' response to it that's the joke.

Jeph has shown how Faye's aggression is ultimately a shield over her vulnerabilities and has never done her any good. Maybe we'll also see Renee finding that her tendency to jump down people's throats is screwing her up and that the indulgence of it she got from her co-workers at TSB is no indication of it being acceptance. Hell, with Padma gone to the Big City to care for her grandmother and thus not around to cover for her, Jim may have finally tired of her schtick and fired her.

Stepping through to an in-universe perspective, I do give Renee a lot of leeway right now. She's just been 'phoned by her sweet but not-entirely-worldly friend Brun from a stranger's phone to inform her (in her uniquely dry, matter-of-fact way) that her home and workplace have burned down and that some guy who she's only just met is 'helping' her. Renee is probably nearly hysterical with fear for Brun right now and a massive over-reaction towards a stranger whose motives and actions are unknown is completely understandable.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

oddtail

« Reply #152 on: 01 Jun 2016, 02:11 »

@BenRG: that's more or less what I meant when I said "the joke is made by the author of the comic, not the character". So yeah, you're of course absolutely right.

Granted, I still don't find the bit even remotely funny (I think Faye's comedic penchant for violence worked WAY better, for several reasons), but eh. Humour's subjective anyway.

RMc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #153 on: 01 Jun 2016, 03:31 »

sweet but not-entirely-worldly friend Brun

Sweet? She berated him and threatened him with a harpoon. In most jurisdictions, that's a misdemeanor, at least.

No, Brun's just another horribly, horribly broken character, the kind that this comic accumulates. Sigh.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #154 on: 01 Jun 2016, 03:35 »

I vaguely remember Hannelore saying she couldn't handle having a roommate.

OK, 1586.

She's made a lot of progress since then.

Brun might not be the right person for the position though.
Hannelore also had some reservations about Marigold as a roomie in 2826
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #155 on: 01 Jun 2016, 03:45 »

I'd be hard-pressed to define two personalities more different than Brun and Marigold, quite frankly. If anything, I think that Hannelore would be more irritating to Brun because she would react to Brun's taciturn ways by trying to provoke more conversation. On the other hand, I acknowledge that Brun's literal-headedness would probably irritate Hannelore, especially in the area of her phobic hesitations in some areas because those fears don't fit in with Brun's sense of reality.

"You don't like the thought of kissing. You're afraid of the germs." A brief pause. "The same germs naturally live on your skin and in your mouth. Keep your skin healthy and make your digestion work."

On violence. "Don't ever feel the need to kill people with a shovel." Pause. "Occasionally with a harpoon." This particular line would spawn fan-arts of gladiatrix!Brun and gladiatrix!Hannelore, one with harpoon and net and the other with shovel, about to duel in the Robot Fight Club arena.

It's stuff like this that make some of us sense a possible 'odd couple' friendship/sparring partner chemistry between them.

Sweet? She berated him and threatened him with a harpoon.

She then offered him a free water with a lemon slice if he didn't storm out in a huff. She's no good with human interaction but her heart seems to be mostly in the right place!
~~~~

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #156 on: 01 Jun 2016, 04:03 »

(click to show/hide)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #157 on: 01 Jun 2016, 05:50 »

A more important question is: Could someone handle being Hannelore's room mate? We don't see it anymore, but remember that Hanners has been shown as being extremely germophobic and affected by severe OCD as well as anxiety disorders. The anxiety we've seen she takes various drugs to keep under control. But it's been shown as not unusual for her to go for days without sleep, be up deep cleaning her apartment in the middle of the night and absolutely obsessive about her living space. She would not be an easy person to live with. And that's if she didn't say something that creeped said room mate out. Things she's done before with Faye and Marten, describing her vivid imaginings of what it would be like to murder them in her cheerful tone... We've pretty much seen Hanner's happy and fluffy side of late, but that doesn't mean the rest of it isn't still there.

As far as threats go and how people treat them... Where I came from people didn't make idle threats usually. You just didn't say you were going to do something to somebody unless you were willing to back it up. Because the other person was going to treat it as if was seriously meant.  It is a big part of the reason why I do not like Faye as a character, and don't associate with anyone like that in my life. Because the first time she would threaten to beat me up for some trivial matter my reaction would either be a cold stare and walk away forever or to tell her to 'bring it, bitch' and get ready to fight.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #158 on: 01 Jun 2016, 05:57 »

Is the girl in the pink top... Dora?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #159 on: 01 Jun 2016, 06:01 »

She's supposed to be, yeah. I don't know about anyone else but I had to double-check to confirm that this morning. She's very, very off-model today!
~~~~

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #160 on: 01 Jun 2016, 06:04 »

Her face is OK I'd say, actually - it's the unfamiliar hairstyle with no other indication of who she is that's disconcerting.

If she had been Emily, Clinton would probably not have been at ease talking to her; indeed, it's slightly surprising that he's gone to CoD - I suppose he just couldn't think of anywhere else to stash Brun's stuff..
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #161 on: 01 Jun 2016, 06:04 »

I can't tell if pink shirt lady is Dora or Emily.
Lots of complicated backgrounds in today's art.
Super-cute Hanners today. Much chipper. Very floof.
I don't imagine Hannelore and Brun being roomates, but seeing them interact could be interesting.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #162 on: 01 Jun 2016, 06:12 »

Her face is OK I'd say, actually - it's the unfamiliar hairstyle with no other indication of who she is that's disconcerting.

The hair, yes. But - her face looks more like Cosette with brown eyes than Dora to me.

Edit: found a comic with both Dora and Cosette for comparison: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1720
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #163 on: 01 Jun 2016, 06:16 »

Coffee roaster in the Spider zone, Faye welding in the back, multiple space pizza impacts on the roof and still standing after all that -- CoD is either proven to be fireproof in the literal sense of the word, or ... is due.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #164 on: 01 Jun 2016, 07:44 »

Coffee roaster in the Spider zone, Faye welding in the back, multiple space pizza impacts on the roof and still standing after all that -- CoD is either proven to be fireproof in the literal sense of the word, or ... is due.

Oh god, its going to be Dante's Peak, but with Marten instead of Pierce Brosnan, isn't it?

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #165 on: 01 Jun 2016, 09:24 »

I guess I'm the only one who immediately recognized Dora..? Her general posture and face seem very much like Dora.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #166 on: 01 Jun 2016, 09:31 »

A more important question is: Could someone handle being Hannelore's room mate? We don't see it anymore, but remember that Hanners has been shown as being extremely germophobic and affected by severe OCD as well as anxiety disorders. The anxiety we've seen she takes various drugs to keep under control. But it's been shown as not unusual for her to go for days without sleep, be up deep cleaning her apartment in the middle of the night and absolutely obsessive about her living space. She would not be an easy person to live with. And that's if she didn't say something that creeped said room mate out.

That could be part of the comedy; sort of an "Odd Couple" dynamic turned up to eleven. Yes, Hannelore is liable to drive any roommate stark-raving bananas, or send them running away screaming from the apartment. And any roommate would likely get on Hannelore's nerves in the worst way, tripping her germophobia/OCD and what not. Done right though, it could be utterly hilarious to watch. Or horrifying painful, if done wrong.

Utlimately though, I don't think Hanners is one of those people who can really live with anyone. Her...eccentricities would make her all but impossible to live with, and only someone equally eccentric (as in germophobic and OCD the same way) would be an acceptable roommate for her.

I guess I'm the only one who immediately recognized Dora..? Her general posture and face seem very much like Dora.

I recognized Dora right away as well. She has been growing out her hair in recent comics after all.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #167 on: 01 Jun 2016, 09:38 »

Utlimately though, I don't think Hanners is one of those people who can really live with anyone. Her...eccentricities would make her all but impossible to live with, and only someone equally eccentric (as in germophobic and OCD the same way) would be an acceptable roommate for her.
The only person I have seen in the strip who would be able to live with Hanners already lives with Marigold.  Momo might not have OCD, but she doesn't make a mess nor does she have all the germs that go along with biologic processes.  So any human probably wouldn't be able to make a living arrangement work with Hanners, but an AI conceivably could.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #168 on: 01 Jun 2016, 09:41 »

sweet but not-entirely-worldly friend Brun

Sweet? She berated him and threatened him with a harpoon. In most jurisdictions, that's a misdemeanor, at least.

No, Brun's just another horribly, horribly broken character, the kind that this comic accumulates. Sigh.

Yep, that's a recurring theme of the comic, as are their difficult and partially successful efforts to get better.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #169 on: 01 Jun 2016, 09:45 »

The only person I have seen in the strip who would be able to live with Hanners already lives with Marigold.  Momo might not have OCD, but she doesn't make a mess nor does she have all the germs that go along with biologic processes.  So any human probably wouldn't be able to make a living arrangement work with Hanners, but an AI conceivably could.

Winslow.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #170 on: 01 Jun 2016, 11:39 »

So Bubbles it is!

While there are a lot of good arguments about whether Hannelore could handle cohabitation I think she's been steadily pushing herself to manage her OCD.  This could be the next step for her if Brun lacks the same eccentricities that would make Marigold or some of the other people she knows ultimately incompatible roommates. 

I suppose since this is a highly unusual situation it makes sense to go to a place where a lot of unusual things happen instead of back to the motel.  Or maybe it was just more convenient. 

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #171 on: 01 Jun 2016, 12:18 »

A more important question is: Could someone handle being Hannelore's room mate? We don't see it anymore, but remember that Hanners has been shown as being extremely germophobic and affected by severe OCD as well as anxiety disorders. The anxiety we've seen she takes various drugs to keep under control. But it's been shown as not unusual for her to go for days without sleep, be up deep cleaning her apartment in the middle of the night and absolutely obsessive about her living space. She would not be an easy person to live with. And that's if she didn't say something that creeped said room mate out. Things she's done before with Faye and Marten, describing her vivid imaginings of what it would be like to murder them in her cheerful tone... We've pretty much seen Hanner's happy and fluffy side of late, but that doesn't mean the rest of it isn't still there.

"describing her vivid imaginings of what it would be like to murder them in her cheerful tone" - I think that one was intented to indicate "Violent Intrusive Thoughts". Those belong to the class of intrusive thoughts about causing deliberate or negligent harm to others.  I've (thankfully) never experienced the worries about "suddenly discovering something in me that makes me deliberately harm others", but the worries about "negligently harming others" were a big part of my giving up my training for a PPL-C (Licence for gliding planes) - i.e. they were bad enough.

IMO, Intrusive thoughts around sexual themes, or "harm worries" are the worst for people with OCD, due to the attached stigma of the topics - people tend to be accepting about obsessions about spilt milk on the shiny glass table, not so much about worrying whether one secretly wants to fuck horses, or flay the neighbours.

With OCD, it's important to understand - for society at large, but most importantly for the sufferers themselves - that having those thoughts is about the best guarantee a human being can get of neverever  actually acting on them; they are called "intrusive thoughts" precisely because they feel alien to the personality of the one experiencing them - that's 90% of the distress they cause.

Nonetheless, because of the stigma attached to sexuality and causing harm to others, those of us OCDers who experience such worries are in the gravest danger of socially isolating themselves - which can lead further down a very, very dangerous slope, that makes recovery ever harder and increases the likelihood of depression et. al.

In the end, the greatest damage my anxiety disorder wreaked was not the very, very considerable distress it caused me - but precisely this isolation.

About being a good roommate - Yeah, many headmeat meds tend to fuck with your sleeping schedule. That is, if I had had something like a sleeping schedule ever since turning 18 ... :-D
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2016, 17:01 by Case »
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #172 on: 01 Jun 2016, 13:42 »

From what I can see, Hanners doesn't need a roommate. Neither does Brun, actually. What Brun needs is a place to crash till she gets her life back together. I'm thinking Brun would rather be in a closet sized place with no roommate than a palace which she has to share.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #173 on: 01 Jun 2016, 13:47 »

Re: intrusive thoughts.

As one of my aunts put it,

"Every so often the Voices tell me to kill someone.  And then I tell them to fuck off, and go on about my day."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #174 on: 01 Jun 2016, 16:28 »

I think they've adopted another one  :-D

It's going to be interesting to see how Brun interacts with the rest of the CoD crew.  Emily's gonna be the one I'm looking forward to her meeting.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #175 on: 01 Jun 2016, 16:34 »

I think they've adopted another one  :-D

It's going to be interesting to see how Brun interacts with the rest of the CoD crew.  Emily's gonna be the one I'm looking forward to her meeting.

"Brun? Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!"

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #176 on: 01 Jun 2016, 18:41 »

What I'm a bit puzzled about is that Dora's blonde tips aren't showing. When her hair gets that long, it starts to show blonde again (or so Jeph forgot, it seems).
Or she's keeping up with her roots.  Still, I thought that she was Raven at first.

I too thought Raven at first.  Then I recalled Raven is usually drawn with a larger bust.  Remember ladies:  if a man is staring intently at your chest, he's trying to recognize you.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #177 on: 01 Jun 2016, 19:02 »

Oddtail, you say there's no reason for us to believe she's anything but serious in her threats. I'd argue common sense would be reason enough to believe she's exaggerating. She thinks Clinton might hurt her friend. She'd be very upset if that happened, so she makes threats she'd never actually follow through on to convey to Clinton how she feels. I know many people who would respond that way. I know no one who would seriously threaten a person that way over the phone.

We have no visual of Renee. you say we have no reason to believe she's not serious. I say we have no reason to believe she IS. If we consider QC somewhat realistic, then Renee likely has a personality type we've seen before. I've never met someone who sincerely threatened a stranger with castration.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #178 on: 01 Jun 2016, 19:17 »

To the best of my recollection, CoD has never been on fire.  However it -has- had raccoon problems, and once one of Faye's sculptures fired part of itself across the room -- luckily nobody was in the way.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #179 on: 01 Jun 2016, 19:21 »

It was also bombarded with pizzas.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #180 on: 01 Jun 2016, 20:05 »

Today's strip is still not proof Brun is on the autism spectrum but it does fit that idea.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #181 on: 01 Jun 2016, 21:02 »

Today's strip is still not proof Brun is on the autism spectrum but it does fit that idea.

True - Though I have to admit that I am curious as to how much water the 'I have a routine'-thingy holds in reality, should the resident experts wish to share.

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #182 on: 01 Jun 2016, 21:08 »

"that color looks good on her IMO" - Jeph

Took the words right outta my mind.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #183 on: 01 Jun 2016, 21:15 »

As I've mentioned before, I know squat about autism. From my naive perspective, I'd say Brun and Bubbles are two sides of a coin. Bubbles' physicality makes her intimidating, while Brun's eyebrows and demeanor do the same thing. Both are brusque and hold their emotions in. Both carry the suggestion of violence (Bubbles taking out walls and punch bags, Brun and the harpoon), but neither has actually hurt anyone under our observation. Both have problems dealing with the outside world, which they generally withdraw from at need. Both have acquired a "sponsor" from among the QC cast.

Bubbles has a very dry sense of humor. We'll have to see if Brun ever shows anything similar.

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #184 on: 01 Jun 2016, 21:26 »

In Bubble's case it's due to her being discriminated against for her appearance and of being an AI, in Brun's case we don't 100% know yet. I'm not sure if AI can have a mental disorder in the QC universe, if that's what you were suggesting. Even in Brun's case it could also be something similar, or attached to a past event (as lots of other people have speculated - kind of like Faye having a certain attitude because of a past event that effected her deeply).

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #185 on: 01 Jun 2016, 21:27 »

I'd say she either is Autistic, or she has other issues that she deals with much like Hanners sometimes does by having a routine she doesn't like deviating from and cause her anxiety and stress.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Keridiaus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #186 on: 01 Jun 2016, 22:02 »

First off, I would like to say hi to everyone, as this is my first time posting. I have been lurking in the forums for a good 7+ years or so, and a reader on the comic since about then (give or take).

Now, on to my post:

I'd say she either is Autistic, or she has other issues that she deals with much like Hanners sometimes does by having a routine she doesn't like deviating from and cause her anxiety and stress.

It does seem likely that she would either be Autistic, Savant, or have an yet unnamed social or anxiety disorder. I say that based on the following observations:

1). The lack of obvious panic of having been in a fire, and subsequent loss of all personal belongings and safe space in said fire.

2). When she became overwhelmed finally and was unable to speak (a possible fugue state).

3). The seemingly overprotective  (and seemingly over reactive ) friend on the phone.

4). Forgetting basic "things" when routine is disrupted (shower being in hotel room, renter's insurance, etc. al).

5). Admitting to an emotion disconnect (#3222).

6). Initial rough greeting (possibly due to the line of work, and that Clinton is not a regular)

Admittedly, all of these seems circumstantial, even when placed together. However, considering my former girlfriend at one time exhibited these very same emotions (she worked at a Waffle House on 3rd shift no less), just by my experience alone leads me to belive that she, at the very least, has a social disorder of some type.

Having said that, i hope Jeph keeps her as, at least, a semi-regular member of the cast.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #187 on: 01 Jun 2016, 22:06 »

I'm now wondering to what degree, if at all, Clinton is internally contemplating what we are all speculating about Brun; and whether one of them will eventually initiate a discussion on the topic.

Welcome, Keridiaus! Thanks for the useful perspective.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kincaid

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #188 on: 01 Jun 2016, 22:30 »

My nephew has high functioning autism and today's strip was nearly word for word something he has said. The only way he can cope with life is by making it a routine, and if anything unexpected happens, it can derail his entire brain to the point of standing there, wherever he is, unable to process how to continue with his day.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #189 on: 01 Jun 2016, 22:53 »

I would think after last night she would have a smokey smell.  That's not all that terrible, but it can make your eyes water. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #190 on: 01 Jun 2016, 23:07 »

What I really noticed in this strip was Clinton, more than anything else. He's really coming across as an everyday nice guy who is trying to help without causing offense. I suspect that Brun is probably generally hard to read, so that makes it harder.

We also get a small insight into Brun: "I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't true." Something tells me that tact is something that she has to be told to use and that could lead to some interesting conversations!
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #191 on: 01 Jun 2016, 23:23 »

I think that after all the heat of the fire, she would have a stale sweaty smell also. Not to mention the usual 24-hours-without-a-shower odiferousness.

I did once collapse into bed after running that evening, without an intervening shower.

I'll just say that there's a reason I only did it once.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #192 on: 01 Jun 2016, 23:40 »

Welcome, new people and your insights!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

alanari

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #193 on: 02 Jun 2016, 00:49 »

True - Though I have to admit that I am curious as to how much water the 'I have a routine'-thingy holds in reality, should the resident experts wish to share.

Depends. Really depends on the person. Autistic people are as different as non-autistic ones. What we share is that we like routine, it gives safety.
How we deal with interruptions of this routine can differ between "unhappy but still more or less functional" and "day's over, let's hide in the bed"

I'm lucky, I'm relatively good at dealing with this. Emphasis on "relatively". A few weeks back my bus was late, I missed my next bus, and was 30 min late at work. It took another 30 min until I was able to focus on work.. luckily, my superiors are understanding.

I'm more and more feeling like she's like me. I'm living in a strange world full of strange people (no offense, but you non-autistic people often do really confusing things..) , meeting another autist is like "hey. You. You are normal! You make sense".
I was told that there are several diagnoses with similar behavior, I was tested for them during my diagnosis. I also know that you have to look into childhood behavior to diagnose autism. So I won't say that she is definitely autistic. But I can relate to her, which is a rare thing with non-autistic people.

And yes, I, too, wouldn't say I need a shower unless it's true. The last speech bubble is something I have said in the past.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2016, 00:58 by alanari »

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #194 on: 02 Jun 2016, 01:05 »

I wonder if Clinton knows about the Salvation Army's history of discrimination against LGBT people.

Maybe it was Brun's choice.  And there really aren't too many options.  Goodwill doesn't have the best reputation too. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #195 on: 02 Jun 2016, 01:19 »

Another thought regarding Brun: I can't really blame her for snapping at Clinton in panel 3. I bet that she's had her fill in her life of people treating her as an incapable imbecile who needs to be led everywhere by the hand. I have no doubt that every bit of independence she has, she has had to fight for it, tooth and nail against well-meaning but misguided people.

Of course, that makes it all the harder when you lose a bit of that independence (or a lot, as she has in her current situation) and you do need to rely on well-meaning others for various things.

Also: "I'm saying it for me." I wonder how often she has to tell herself that everything is okay, that she's still in control of her life and that there is nothing to confuse or frighten her? Some people have wondered when she'll break, emotionally, and cry about what's happened to her. I don't think that she will; I don't think that she can allow herself to do so.
~~~~

oddtail

« Reply #196 on: 02 Jun 2016, 01:26 »

Oddtail, you say there's no reason for us to believe she's anything but serious in her threats. I'd argue common sense would be reason enough to believe she's exaggerating. She thinks Clinton might hurt her friend. She'd be very upset if that happened, so she makes threats she'd never actually follow through on to convey to Clinton how she feels. I know many people who would respond that way. I know no one who would seriously threaten a person that way over the phone.

We have no visual of Renee. you say we have no reason to believe she's not serious. I say we have no reason to believe she IS. If we consider QC somewhat realistic, then Renee likely has a personality type we've seen before. I've never met someone who sincerely threatened a stranger with castration.

I don't think not being 100% literally serious is the same as joking. I've seen people make over the top threats of physical violence when their intention was obviously to intimidate rather than to joke. For instance "I'll rip your head off" is unlikely to be literally true, but I've still heard this threat uttered in obvious anger and from a person who was otherwise very hostile. To say nothing of the relatively bland "I'm gonna kill you" that I've heard people say on many occasions. No, this is not actually a threat people intend to follow up on - most people do not kill other people [citation needed]. But it's still a threat rather than a "ha ha" joke.

The fact that we don't see Renee is kinda circumstantial evidence that it's not a joke. What I mean by this is, we don't have much of a context for a joke to be reasonable/acceptable, but that means neither does Clinton. She doesn't know Clinton, nor does she know what is acceptable to say to him. We know she's very upset, and we know she is yelling, then she proceeds to yell even more. That indicates anger rather than a jocular mood. It also does not tend to be socially acceptable to threaten physical harm to a person as a joke when they are not a person you know well.

Again, hyperbole is not the same as a joke. Renee is obviously very upset, so I don't see how Clinton can possibly construe her hostility as being in jest.

Or to put it yet another way, if someone I knew nothing about walked up to me and threatened physical harm, what should be my first reaction? Amusement at their antics or fear for my well-being? The default assumption "it's a joke, obviously" does not hold water in my opinion. It's only a joke where both people in the exchange have some common frame of reference to infer a joke.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2016, 01:31 by oddtail »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #197 on: 02 Jun 2016, 01:39 »

Another thought regarding Brun: I can't really blame her for snapping at Clinton in panel 3. I bet that she's had her fill in her life of people treating her as an incapable imbecile who needs to be led everywhere by the hand. I have no doubt that every bit of independence she has, she has had to fight for it, tooth and nail against well-meaning but misguided people.

I would not blame her either, but I don't think she was snapping at Clinton.  I think that her words in both panels three and four were for herself.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #198 on: 02 Jun 2016, 02:06 »

Brun knows Renee and didn't seem alarmed.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

FacelessDeviant

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #199 on: 02 Jun 2016, 02:48 »

"I have a routine. My routine keeps me organized."

Debatable, with the whole "didn't know about renters insurance" thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up