THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 May 2024, 10:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bittorrent users...  (Read 7481 times)

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
Bittorrent users...
« on: 28 Apr 2005, 02:39 »

Anyone using Bittorrent... is there any way I can rig it so that bittorrent only uses a certain amount of bandwidth?

My problem is my mother leaves her downloads going when she goes to work / bed and, basically, it makes using the internet on my computer a pain in the ass. As I write this, she's downloading an episode of some TV program at a combined upload / download of 100 Kbps. I didn't think we even had 100 Kbps of bandwidth to play with.

So yeah... I'd like to plant some throttle on her bandwidth allocation on the sly, so I can actually surf the net when I want to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
Bittorrent users...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2005, 05:44 »

What program does she use for bittorrent? I know that azureus lets you limit max download/upload speeds.

mikey

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2005, 07:37 »

Bittorando is built on the experimental bittorrent client.  You can limit the upload for it.

It's my favorite torrent client - especially over (early versions of) Azureus.[/url]

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
Bittorrent users...
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2005, 09:08 »

She's using the standard bittorrent thing. I haven't encountered any of the others yet but I'm pretty sure it's the original one, the one available from the actual bittorrent website, where it asks you to donate to that Bram guy or whoever.

And I can't really install a new client... hence the whole needing to do it stealth like. She freaks out at the site of new software and ends up messing her computer up in an attempt to 'clean' it of spyware, which causes more hassle for me.

trolley

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2005, 12:17 »

Just convince her that the original bittorrent client got a virus/crashed/has become redundant , and that she has to use this new one, or not at all.

MilkmanDan

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2005, 12:20 »

Your mum uses bittorrent but freaks out at new software? That's an odd combination.
Not sure if you can throttle on the regular client. You can get Global bandwidth throttling, but that would probobly freak her out even more. I'd get Azereus, and explain it to her.

mikey

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2005, 12:31 »

Well the Bittorando has the same look as the offical bittorrent client, except it as a few sliders on the bottom for bandwidth control.  You can make a setting default (default to upload very little) if you want to make it easy for her.

Or like MilkmanDan said you can get a bandwidth throttle application.  There are a few out there that let you specify specific applications to have specific bandwidth settings.  I don't know the names off my hand though.

Zedd

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2005, 15:38 »

I highly recomend Bitlord.  I think it mitve been built off of Bit comet, cause the Torrent files i DL are always BitComet files.  Any way. U can set both Indepentant (sorry if mispelled) and overall speed settings.  plus its pretty nice lookin, and has a built search for ISOhunt.

Phrozen

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2005, 16:13 »

The sad fact of the matter is that as cool as Bit-Torrent is, it is also extremely wasteful.

My room mate and I have been experimenting for months trying to figure out a way for our Torrents NOT to suck up all the available bandwidth. Sadly, it is impossible. Bandwidth limiters don't seem to be able to ahve any effect on it. We haven't been able to afford a hardware solution and, frankly, wouldn't want to.

MilkmanDan

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2005, 02:31 »

Righ-click where it says your upload or download speed. Select the max speed you want it to upload/download at. Voila. Not very Impossible.
(This information is only true for Azureus. Other bittorrent clients, no idea)

mosfet

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2005, 08:42 »

bypass the BitTorrent bandwidth limiters by installing an actual bandwidth limiter on the machine.

That way you can effectively vut her PC's network connection down as low as you want.  Maybe give her a whopping 14.4kbps limit.

Also get a client that minits the number of people that can connect.
Thats a big killer right there.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
Bittorrent users...
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2005, 10:48 »

Thanks guys... will have a poke around and see what I can find.

Is looking like I'll have to try and find a different client... limiting her actual bandwidth could also mess my comp up since the modem's directly connected to her machine and I'm networked to hers... plus if her internet crawls she starts restarting to try and make it go faster. Or something.

ASturge

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2005, 11:00 »

I hate it when 'parents' try to fuck with the internet.

They should stick to their funnyboxes and blunderbusses.

mosfet

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2005, 11:18 »

Scary as the thought is... I am one of the parents in my house! :D
And I rule with an iron fist!

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
Bittorrent users...
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2005, 11:18 »

Agreed... my mum's the worse... she has a minor amount of technical knowledge which therefore makes her feel like she can do whatever she want with the computer and be ok. Absolute pain in the ass when trying to fix her mistakes, since if I leave her alone for ten seconds she'll try and sort it out herself and generally make it worse.

Anyway... I guess this thread can be closededed

ASturge

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2005, 11:31 »

Quote from: mosfet
Scary as the thought is... I am one of the parents in my house! :D
And I rule with an iron fist!

.........A rebellion is rising my friend....

your reign of terror will soon be at an end!

mosfet

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2005, 12:12 »

I must quell the uprising by limiting broadband and tech support!
I will then install Linux, and they will all be dependant on me to do the tiniest thing!  MuHAHAHA!

oh wait... dependant on me to do anything?  that'd be bad for me!

marc_penny88

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2005, 14:59 »

before i mention the program i use i just wanted to point out that i didnt see it posted up above so im gonna say it. i use bit Lord, its decent cos u can restrict the k/s and it has 2 torrent search engines built in so u can find what u need quickly ;)

darklogic

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jun 2005, 07:01 »

sounds to me like you need to install some sort of traffic shaping software on your internet gateway.

nihilist

Bittorrent users...
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jun 2005, 07:33 »

Easy solution: Azureus (BT client)
So-so solution: Linksys with hacked firmware with traffic shaping
Hard solution: *nix firewall with QoS/traffic shaping
Pages: [1]   Go Up