THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 03 Jun 2024, 07:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands that are cool to hate  (Read 35503 times)

stammgm

Bands that are cool to hate
« on: 06 May 2005, 22:19 »

There seem to be a lot of bands who are actually decent but unknown, then get insanely popular on the basis of a semi-shitty song, and then all of a sudden it's cool to hate them, first in their original fanbase, and then all over...
Example (and I know I'll get crucified for this):  the White Stripes.  Great band, then came 7 Nation Army....then everyone loved that song for some reason, and then all of a sudden it's cool to bash them
case in point...a movie review of Freaky Friday in the Toledo Blade praised that damn movie for 'having a self-aware pop culture sensibility' or some such shit for two of the characters talking about bands that they liked (most of which the actors had probably never listened to) and bashing the White Stripes (who the reviewer had never listened to), and I realized that it truly had become universally acceptable to hate on them

Anyway, wondering if anyone would like to share a similar experience

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2005, 22:30 »

Hating the White Stripes has always been cool.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Re: Bands that are cool to hate
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2005, 22:33 »

Quote from: stammgm
two of the characters talking about bands that they liked (most of which the actors had probably never listened to) and bashing the White Stripes (who the reviewer had never listened to)

May I ask what your evidence is for these accusations?

stammgm

« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2005, 22:38 »

Well, I said probably for the actors, mostly on the basis that I think that Lindsay Lohan is a dipshit and also because the music she was playing in that movie had nothing to do with the Pixies or the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
For the reviewer (Chris borelli), it's because he said he hadn't listened to them or the White Stripes

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2005, 22:50 »

Okay.

In Australia it's pretty much expected that once any band/actor/general celebrity gets too famous and too succesful, there's going to be a backlash against them.  It's called the Tall Poppy Syndrome (i.e.: any poppy that grows taller than the rest of the crop is going to get cut down to size).  It's a big part of the culture here, for better or for worse.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2005, 23:23 »

Hating Mortiis.

always has been cool, always will be.
also israel

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2005, 23:30 »

And of course, it goes to say that all that nu-metal, pop-punk etc. poop has always been cool to hate, and even cooler to like in an ironic or post-ironic manner.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2005, 06:01 »

Post-ironic. rofl.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2005, 06:38 »

Don't rofl my terminology, or I'll get post-polite on your ass, whitey*.

*Insert other colour/semi-derogative archaic term of stigmatising address if appropriate.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2005, 06:52 »

Well duh. It's just something you say to sound clever. Like 'Indubitably' and 'perspicacity'.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2005, 07:21 »

Only two synonyms? I'm losing my perspicacity!

I must say that it seems awfully cool to hate Norma Jean right now. Rather annoying, really.

David

« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2005, 08:58 »

The way I understand it is that Norma Jean is some second rate Botch rip-off (on their new album that is).

I haven't heard the whole thing myself, so I won't pass judgement on it (yet), but if it's true then I can understand the hate...Not because I don't like Botch, I love Botch, but the whole rip-off thing.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2005, 09:15 »

Well that and you can play an entire song of there's without moving your goddamned left hand ONCE.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

mooface

« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2005, 11:22 »

We can't forget how cool it is to hate Good Charlotte *rolls eyes*  People who think Mest is cool hate GC, how hypocritical is that?  I'm not saying Good Charlotte is a particularly good or anything, but it's interesting that of all the pop-punk bands out there they are the ones that everyone hates... and if you like them then you are instantly flamed and labeled as a poser.

Hey, I'll gladly admit that they used to be my favorite band, and I'll still listen to their old stuff on occassion.  It's better than being a hypocrite that listens to pop-punk but claims to hate Good Charlotte just to sound cool.

ASturge

« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2005, 11:29 »

You liked Good Charlotte!?

haha.

stammgm

« Reply #15 on: 07 May 2005, 11:47 »

maybe I should have distinguished between bands it's cool to hate and bands it's popular to hate
I mean, it's cool to hate a band that really sucks, like Good Charlotte (although their fan base is way more annoying than their actual music), but other bands really haven't gone downhill since getting popular, they just fall out of favor, so what's popular isn't necessarily cool, if you get my drift

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2005, 12:59 »

The White Stripes just aren't that good.  Jack can lay down some decent stuff, but Meg's uninspired heavy handed drumming is pretty awful.

stammgm

« Reply #17 on: 07 May 2005, 13:06 »

that I'll give you...they were just one example anyway of popularity destroying a band's rep when their music hasn't changed

mooface

« Reply #18 on: 07 May 2005, 15:07 »

Apparently you've all missed my point, but that's alright I expected that...

What about Bright Eyes?  Or does he suck too much to be included in this conversation as well.

Robbo

« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2005, 15:11 »

What point? It wouldn't be impossible to like Pop-Punk and hate GC. As for being a wannabe/poser, well if you claim to like Punk then say you like bands like GC, it's true. But if you say you like Pop-Punk...well, not really being a poser is it, just stupid.

Hating Bright Eyes is just intelligent.

Oh, and ...

Quote from: ASturge
You liked Good Charlotte!?

haha.

Druid

« Reply #20 on: 07 May 2005, 15:34 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
pop-punk has always been cool to hate... post-ironic manner.

Pop-punk was a decent genre until 2000 when it got really whiny.

I think I've reached post-ironic. Seriously.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #21 on: 07 May 2005, 15:44 »

Hating bands because it's cool to hate them is the same as hating bands because it's cool to like them, i.e. it's stupid.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #22 on: 07 May 2005, 17:58 »

Quote from: Robbo
What point? It wouldn't be impossible to like Pop-Punk and hate GC.

Robbo: You're winner.

But if you say you like Pop-Punk...well, not really being a poser is it, just stupid.

Can we just say "I don't like ________"? I'm not much of a pop-punk fan anymore, so I really don't care how much you slam the genre (which, by the way, always uses the same goddamn four chords), but questioning the intelligence of people whose favourite genres are different than yours, while funny the first few times, just kinda gets grating after a while.

However, you're still winner.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 07 May 2005, 18:35 »

You're only saying that to be cool!

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2005, 20:07 »

Quote from: Druid
Pop-punk was a decent genre until 2000 when it got really whiny.

no..

no it wasn't..

Druid

« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2005, 23:24 »

I'm guessing you're only saying that because you're hardcore into metal, so I'm not going to take it personally.

I have plenty of Pop-Punk that I enjoy that is neither bad nor whiny.

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #26 on: 08 May 2005, 00:11 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Hating bands because it's cool to hate them is the same as hating bands because it's cool to like them, i.e. it's stupid.

+100

Robbo

« Reply #27 on: 08 May 2005, 01:48 »

Quote from: Druid
I'm guessing you're only saying that because you're hardcore into metal, so I'm not going to take it personally.

What? So you're saying we dont like Pop-Punk because Metal tells us to? When that statement could come from a Jazz fan, a Classical fan, a Rock fan..anything like that.

It's the fact it completely goes against all the musical ideas that come with Metal that bring out that statement. The Pop part does sort of say that.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #28 on: 08 May 2005, 01:54 »

isn't there pop-metal bands, I think there are...
I can't think of a band per se that is cool to hate, maybe Taking Back Sunday, though I just tend to ignore them, I mean who cares life's too short and you're already dying.

Robbo

« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2005, 02:03 »

Pop-Metal just doesn't make any sense. There are Popular Metal band, there are Metal bands that have gone Pop. But Pop-Metal?

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #30 on: 08 May 2005, 02:41 »

Quote from: David
The way I understand it is that Norma Jean is some second rate Botch rip-off (on their new album that is).

I haven't heard the whole thing myself, so I won't pass judgement on it (yet), but if it's true then I can understand the hate...Not because I don't like Botch, I love Botch, but the whole rip-off thing.

There's a difference between influence and rip-off. Personally, I hear nothing on their new album that blatantly rips off Botch, unless you consider odd time signatures and dissonance qualities that make a band a Botch rip-off, in which case, there are a lot of bands that should be getting the same shit, yet aren't. Hell, bands like Into the Moat are far more blatant Dillinger Escape Plan rip-offs, yet they get mostly positive reviews.

In 'O God, the Aftermath's case, however, most negative reviews have consisted almost verbatim of "I HATE THIS BAND 'COS THEY SUCK AND SUCK AND ARE BOTCH RIP-OFFS END OF STORY".

Druid

« Reply #31 on: 08 May 2005, 03:03 »

What? So you're saying we dont like Pop-Punk because Metal tells us to?

I'm saying that he doesn't like pop-punk for the very reasons he likes metal. Pop-Punk is kind of the at the opposite spectrum. It's sacchrine simple silly songs that strive to be the weight of air. It's not aggro, it's not atmospheric, it's not heavy, and it's not technical. Usually people like metal for some combination of the above. It's a stupid genre, but I find it fun to listen to.

He's a big metalhead though. Usually any sort of (insert genre here) fan will dismiss punk-pop for one of the reasons above as well.

I just wasn't too enamoured with his two word dismissel. I'm sure there are lots of people on this board who dislike pop-punk, but at least point something you don't like about it out rather then just arbitarily dismissing it.

Robbo

« Reply #32 on: 08 May 2005, 03:13 »

So basically what I said. It goes against all the musical values at go with Metal.

If it wasn't trolling, I would make a worse and more hateful dismissing of the genre. As I certainly dont see how pre 2000 stuff is any less horrible.

But back on topic. All White/Unblack Metal. The idea is just stupid and most of the bands that make it are a huge pile of crap. So much so that Anal Gore Terror wrote the song "Holy Terror" about the genre.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #33 on: 08 May 2005, 03:20 »

This thread seems to have veered somewhat off-topic: it's not meant to be a place to slag out musical styles you hate, it's a place to discuss the phenomenon of a musical style and/or band suddenly becoming a popular hate-object for wannabe hipsters and scenesters.  Go back to stammgm's original post and start all over again.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #34 on: 08 May 2005, 03:34 »

But back on topic. All White/Unblack Metal. The idea is just stupid and most of the bands that make it are a huge pile of crap.

I cannot express into words how much I hate "unblack" metal.

It's such bullshit.  Fucking Christians trying to get their grubby little fingers into EVERYTHING.

My question is, how can someone start an "unblack" metal band built on the same musical ideas and inspirations of bands whose main theme or ideology is anti Judeo-Christian?

Damn you ignorant people, go back to your "Worship Together" albums.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #35 on: 08 May 2005, 03:37 »

Guess the title needs to add "...by wannabe hipsters and scenesters".  That's probably what is throwing people off.  *shrugs*

David

« Reply #36 on: 08 May 2005, 03:56 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko

There's a difference between influence and rip-off. Personally, I hear nothing on their new album that blatantly rips off Botch, unless you consider odd time signatures and dissonance qualities that make a band a Botch rip-off, in which case, there are a lot of bands that should be getting the same shit, yet aren't. Hell, bands like Into the Moat are far more blatant Dillinger Escape Plan rip-offs, yet they get mostly positive reviews.

In 'O God, the Aftermath's case, however, most negative reviews have consisted almost verbatim of "I HATE THIS BAND 'COS THEY SUCK AND SUCK AND ARE BOTCH RIP-OFFS END OF STORY".

Like I said, I haven't listened to the album much yet. I seriously doubt that they are ripping off Botch, it's probably like you said, they were just heavily influenced by them on this album. Which isn't a bad thing. I remember seeing on someone's soulseek file list that they had labeled it "O' God The Botch Rip-Off". I kind of chuckled at it. I'll give it a listen tonight and see what I think.

Edit: Upon listening to the album, I can really see where the Botch comparisons are coming from. None of the songs really connected for me. Although that "Disconnecktie" song really got on my nerves. I think I'll stick to my Botch and Breather Resist.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #37 on: 08 May 2005, 10:49 »

Bands it's cool to hate...

My Chemical Romance, anyone?

Marauder

« Reply #38 on: 08 May 2005, 11:35 »

Quote from: muffy
Bands it's cool to hate...

My Chemical Romance, anyone?

I indubitably concur.

Hector Gilbert

« Reply #39 on: 08 May 2005, 13:32 »

The most uncool band I enjoy is Dave Matthews Band.  I think that Before These Crowded Streets and Under The Table And Dreaming are great albums.

Druid

« Reply #40 on: 08 May 2005, 13:43 »

So basically what I said. It goes against all the musical values at go with Metal.

As I certainly dont see how pre 2000 stuff is any less horrible.

Yes, if that's what you ment.

It's not as whiny. This was before bands of the genre started trying to be emo. Granted you're never going to agree with me about the genre, but I've found stuff I like in it. Nothing recently, but in the past I have.

mikemike

« Reply #41 on: 08 May 2005, 13:48 »

Quote from: James

I'M NOOOOOOORRRRT HOOOOOOO-KHEY
I'M NOT HO-KHEY~EY~EY~EY~EY

Nice, that's the best phonetic representaion of that horrible song I've seen. It always comes on in the college cafeteria and drives me utterly crazy.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #42 on: 08 May 2005, 13:57 »

Like I said, I haven't listened to the album much yet. I seriously doubt that they are ripping off Botch, it's probably like you said, they were just heavily influenced by them on this album. Which isn't a bad thing. I remember seeing on someone's soulseek file list that they had labeled it "O' God The Botch Rip-Off". I kind of chuckled at it. I'll give it a listen tonight and see what I think.

Edit: Upon listening to the album, I can really see where the Botch comparisons are coming from. None of the songs really connected for me. Although that "Disconnecktie" song really got on my nerves. I think I'll stick to my Botch and Breather Resist.

Yes, I too can see where the Botch influence is coming from.

Either way, I love the album (it might take a listen or two for it to grow on someone), and I particularly love 'Disconnecktie'. It's like 'Pretty Soon, I Don't Know What, But Something is Going To Happen' all over again, only better.

And Breather Resist are a great band, although I can never actually remember any of their songs.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #43 on: 08 May 2005, 14:52 »

It seems very hip to hate The Bravery. Take a look at Stylus' review of their album. Also take a look at Pitchfork's review of their album.

OH NOES THEY LIKE THE EIGHTIES

OSTRACIZE'D

mooface

« Reply #44 on: 08 May 2005, 16:17 »

Alright, alright, for once I'm going to keep my big mouth shut and just slink away from this topic before I get hated on some more ;)

*restrained rant causes head to explode*  Now look what you've done :\

Robbo

« Reply #45 on: 09 May 2005, 00:39 »

Hey, you're point got disproved...so what? No need to go all emo over it. I dont think anyone cares. Not like it changes anyone's view of you or anything.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 09 May 2005, 00:47 »

Okay - so if that's all finished can we actually, like, get back on topic now or something?

Robbo

« Reply #47 on: 09 May 2005, 00:58 »

We are back on topic thanks to Johnny C. Oh, and Killswitch Engage.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #48 on: 09 May 2005, 01:15 »

The problem is, you can never seperate those who hate bands like Norma Jean for being popular from those who genuinely think they're a disgrace to the word 'metal'. Like me :) You can't even use bands suddenly getting big as a barometer, since there will be people who genuinely liked the early music but thought the material that made them big was terrible or love bands in a similar style but who haven't had so much success i.e. I like woefully obscure pop-punk bands like Dagobah but despise Sum 41. Mind you, they're not really pop-punk... but that's a whole other argument.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #49 on: 09 May 2005, 03:07 »

The best ones are the ones that are like "ZOMG HOW DARE THEY EVOLVE MUSICALLY AT ALL I WANT DEBUT ALBUM V2.0 GRRRRR".

Also, your opinion is invalid, but thanks for playing!

:)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up