THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 Jun 2024, 13:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best guitar song  (Read 9453 times)

Damniel

best guitar song
« on: 25 May 2005, 11:06 »

for me its either Free Bird or Too Rolling Stonned by Robin Trower...but definatly NOT APACHE

Mnementh

best guitar song
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2005, 11:12 »

Well, what do you mean by Best Guitar Song.  Best Solo, best song to play, or Best Overall Guitar piece?

If the latter of the three is the case I would recommend anything with Mark Knopfler as being superior to Free Bird, and I'm sure there are many other artists who have superior pieces in their body of work.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
best guitar song
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2005, 11:18 »

Every Mike Doughty fan knows It's Rainin' Men is the new Free Bird anyway.

But, I agree with Mnementh on this, it's a bit broad on what youm ean. Could you be more specific?
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

BusterKeaton

Just for one day
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2005, 11:37 »

Heroes By bowie, Its an awesome guitar song becuase its soooo simple, you can flex your Dio chops all you want sometimes a few chords and some feedback can give you that warm orgasmic shudder that all good music should.

ASturge

best guitar song
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2005, 11:39 »

^ seconded'd'd!

Neutral Milk Hotel - Two Headed Boy Pt 1

The acoustic guitar in this song is so damn awesome. I love it to bits.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
best guitar song
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2005, 12:36 »

In the acoustic stakes 'Feathers Fell' by Dissection. Simple and totally beautiful.

As for electric...gah. 'Angelclaw' by Arch Enemy is the song that made me pick up a guitar, but then I have so many other favourites with insane/awesome guitar. 'Supersatan' by Cryptic Wintermoon and 'Bad Hobbits Die Hard' by Wuthering Heights would rank high among the alternative choices.

This is taking of course, that you mean your favourite songs from the standpoint of their guitar-work, rather than just 'your favourite songs with guitar in them', as that's about 90% of my favourite songs.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Amsterdarn

best guitar song
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2005, 13:18 »

For acoustic, I'd say "Steamed Juicy Little Bun" or "Night After Sidewalk" by Kaki King.

For electric, I'd say "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson, "For the Love of God" by Steve Vai, "The Divided Sky" by Phish, or "I Only Said" by My Bloody Valentine.

Within the context of a more traditional song, there are too damn many to choose from.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
best guitar song
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2005, 17:41 »

I'm gonna have to go with "Surfing With The Alien" by Joe Satriani and, as metnioned above, "For the Love of God" by Vai, at least in the guitar wankery category.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
best guitar song
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2005, 17:54 »

If we're talking ostentatious guitar solos, then I'm surprised Dinosaur Jr. has rated a mention yet.

La Creme

best guitar song
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2005, 18:03 »

There's different guitar playing for every type of music, so...

Metal Virtuosity and Thrash Skills: Paradigm Shift by Liquid Tension Experiment

Acoustic Folksy Fun: I Like Birds by The Eels (the various rare live cuts of this song are SO good)

Pure Rock: Madman's Dead by Mano Negra
<OR>
Taurian Matador by Billy Cobham (Tommy Bolin on guitar, playing decent thrash in 1973)

Jazz: Airegin by Wes Montgomery
<OR>
I'll See You In My Dreams by Howard Alden

Blues: Ice Pick by Albert Collins
<OR>
East West by Butterfield Blues Band

Funk: Ain't It Funky Now by Grant Green

Indy Goodness: Polly Brown by The Sugarplastic

From the 80's: Little Girls by Oingo Boingo

Misc.: East of Asteroid by 801 (Phil Manzenara is a killer guitarist)
Tyranny Of The Hunt by Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Berny Brains
Spacewalk by Lemon Jelly
Hundred Mile High City by Ocean Colour Scene (Yes, yes, they do suck... but this song... doesn't.)
Crosstown Traffic by HENDRIX (Somehow, this ended up being my favorite Hendrix tune)

and many many many many more. Guitar players ccan never fully decide...

Revenge_Therapist

best guitar song
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2005, 18:12 »

Last Chance for A Slow Dance-Fugazi

Jeridus

best guitar song
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2005, 18:28 »

electric: as sad as I am to admit it, given that this song is so mainstream that I don't even consider it hardcore anymore, Atreyu's Lip Gloss and Black (*oh the shame :(*) ... also, the song has a pretty cool guitar outro... ...

actually, I'm changing my vote... Counterparts And Number Them by Alexisonfire is unbearably hard to play, to the extent that they rarely even play it in concert... actually... most Alexis has super-McKickass guitaring

accoustic: the accoustic part of The Animals' "House Of The Rising Sun"... also, the intro to Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly

and I know this wasn't included, but c'mon, there are songs where the bass is super important too! Such songs include (overplayed though it was)  The White Stripes' Seven Nation Army, and Feel Good Inc (Gorillaz), and lets not forget, of course, Dazed and Confused (Zeppelin)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
best guitar song
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2005, 19:45 »

And every thing by Jaco Pastorius ever.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

godbowstomath

best guitar song
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2005, 19:48 »

fucking... european son by the velvet underground!

or the gift!

or sister ray!

any and all things VU.

seeing ANTHRAX by GANG OF FOUR played LIVE this last FRIDAY was also a real treat

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
best guitar song
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2005, 21:37 »

"Hangar 18" manages to kick my ass every time I hear it, but for actual songwriting chops and interweaving and stuff, it's hard to say. I'm going to go with "NARC" by Interpol because I'm a dick and I think the guitar interplay in that song is nothing short of majestic.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Damniel

best guitar song
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2005, 00:23 »

its my post and i'll be vague if i want to...just make up your own mind on the question....don't look to me for direction...okay, the whole point of the vague question is to get as many opinions on as many things as possible...
i reckon on the acoustic front  the best guitar song is mr tambourine man by the byrds or possibly stairway to heaven (cringe) for its intro

kilconey

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
best guitar song
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2005, 06:07 »

midcareer Blur songs come to mind here - because i think graham coxon is the finest guitar player.  'star shaped' is probably my favorite, especially to play along to.
also coming to mind - 'columbia' by oasis, 'evil' by interpol.  something by the smiths belongs there too, i just can't decide which song right now.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

patch

best guitar song
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2005, 06:37 »

iron man by black sabbath.
seriously.

Jeridus

best guitar song
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2005, 07:18 »

And here we seem to be conspicuously missing the quite obvious

CRAZY TRAIN

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
best guitar song
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2005, 07:31 »

Pull My Strings by Dead Kennedys
Anything by Bad Brains
Anything by The Toy Dolls.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
best guitar song
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2005, 12:44 »

Cause We Ended As Lovers by Jeff Beck.

heretic

best guitar song
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2005, 13:07 »

nobody will metion anything by leo kottke, i guarantee it. just listen to any song of his and guitar will be something entirely new to you.

blindsuperhero

best guitar song
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2005, 15:37 »

The best song with guitar/best guitar playing in a song has to be Paranoid Android. I'm sorry, but it actually is the best song ever.

heretic

best guitar song
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2005, 17:07 »

i say you listen to leo kottke, you will not regret it, this is the best i could do without my collection at hand. (it is being shipped from school and i'm freaking out cause it's going on a week late, that's my comp plus at least 1500 dollars of music!!)

http://www.emusic.com/album/10592/10592451.html

blindsuperhero

best guitar song
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2005, 17:16 »

I say listen to Radiohead. I bet Johnny Greenwood plays the guitar in a more innovative 'entirely new' way than this Leo Kottke guy.

The point of this post is that I don't think you should say the same thing twice in the space of two posts. We got it the first time.

kilconey

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
best guitar song
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2005, 17:27 »

blindsuperhero has reminded me...JUST by radiohead is another of my favorite guitar songs.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

heretic

best guitar song
« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2005, 17:41 »

yo hero, the second time i included a link, this was the point of the second post.
second, listen to leo before you bash him

third, comparing radiohead to leo kottke makes less sense than...well, i'll think of something later.

fourth, leo kottke isn't "entirely new," my grandfather told me about him. but since you've never heard of him, he will broaden your understanding of the guitar as an instrument.

Inlander

• coprophage
best guitar song
« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2005, 20:42 »

You neglected to point out, heretic, that Leo Kottke plays a 12-string, which is a rather different beastie from your standard 6-string guitar making comaprasions between him and a 6-string player a little pointless.

But yes, he is awesome.

heretic

best guitar song
« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2005, 20:47 »

he plays both, his twelve string is the mind blowing stuff but the 6 string is still pretty eye-opening. so basically all his music alters some part of your head. :)

one of his albums is called "6 and 12 string guitars"

Inlander

• coprophage
best guitar song
« Reply #29 on: 26 May 2005, 21:06 »

Really?  I think I've only heard his 12-string stuff.

Drizzt982

best guitar song
« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2005, 14:42 »

"White Summer/Black Mountain Side" by Jimmy Page and "Always With Me, Always With You" by Joe Satriani are both very fun to play.

Also I like "To Bid You Farwell" by Opeth.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
best guitar song
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2005, 16:47 »

Quote from: Jeridus
And here we seem to be conspicuously missing the quite obvious

CRAZY TRAIN

No no no. The best song that Randy Rhoads played guitar on was "Dee," and that is a confirmed fact.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: [1]   Go Up