THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 15:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 788609 times)

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #4200 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:03 »

I believe that people can get tattoos wherever they want.

Well...I am a bit leery of face and hand tattoos.
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Juxtaposition

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4201 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:05 »

She has lovely decorations in general.

And yeah, my mom works with young men in prison who often have gang affiliated tattoos. Getting rid of that shit is painful and expensive, and the nonprofits that do it for free often have INSANE waiting lists. Like, years. At least if  you've got a tattoo most other places, you can get it covered up or disguised somehow if you start hating it.

ackblom12

« Reply #4202 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:10 »

For the majority, I think by the time you're getting hand and/or face tats you're pretty well embroiled in the culture and unlikely to be concerned about regretting tattoos enough to want them removed. Gang and racist tattoos are not a real good comparison there.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4203 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:19 »

I have tattoos on mah thuuumbs!

(did we ever post pictures here, we must have)
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #4204 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:24 »

It could be just that I like faces and hands and prefer to see them uninked. My personal bias.

ackblom12

« Reply #4205 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:31 »

I have tattoos on my thumbs!

Papersatan

« Reply #4206 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:32 »

WE HAVE TATTOOS

ackblom12

« Reply #4207 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:33 »

ON OUR THUMBS!!!

Papersatan

« Reply #4208 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:34 »

*Vomits*

Juxtaposition

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4209 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:50 »

D'awww.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4210 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:52 »

You guys are the worst.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #4211 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:57 »

Papersatan

« Reply #4212 on: 09 Dec 2011, 22:59 »

Well, it is pretty gross.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #4213 on: 10 Dec 2011, 00:42 »

It makes me think of that saying...two people becoming one, or something like that.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4214 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:08 »

Reminds me of those damned two-halves-of-a-heart pendants. 

Don't ever change, you guys.  <3
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4215 on: 10 Dec 2011, 04:53 »

I'm gonna be honest, Steve and Kat are pretty sickeningly adorkable when together. That is how my girlfriend and I are gonna end up.

Also, I'm not telling anyone where they can get tattooed, I'm just tossing out my opinion without knowledge of what you even look like Welu. I say it as a guy who has been to crabcore concerts and seen busty girls with tribal writing that says "XXTILL DEATH RIP MY HEART OUTXX" with vines and black roses and bullshit like that.

Tattoo combo 2x what do I get next: "When the time has come to take my last breath, I hope I don't die in no hospital bed" probably on my upper back, or I was thinking a D20 and paintbrushes in the skull and crossbones style.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4216 on: 10 Dec 2011, 06:08 »

The d20 amd paintbrushes are way more you, dogg.

Now that I'm coming closer to finishing my sleeves, I'm thinking about my next tattoos. I think I want Batman legsleeves but Im thinking maybe a Zelda tattoo first. Hmmm...
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4217 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:04 »

If you don't get the d20 and brushes, I might just have to. (But with a pen and pencil instead, because I use them more than brushes.) NERD LYFE.

Also, yes, Steve and Kat are the cutest and it's kind of disgusting. (<3)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4218 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:10 »

Linds we can both get it, and we can be tattoo buddies! Just yours with pen and pencil and mine with brushes!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4219 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:15 »

o/

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4220 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:29 »

\o

ackblom12

« Reply #4221 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:39 »

This is actually an attitude I really dislike when talking about tattoos in general.

Think about how many times you've seen or heard the phrase "You may think it has meaning now, but you won't for long..." or some variation thereof about any and all tattoos and piercings.

Stop using that bullshit to criticize other people's work.

ackblom12

« Reply #4222 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:44 »

See, there is a difference between criticizing someone for getting a tattoo from a parlor who is willing to tattoo a minor, (or a gang related or racist bit of work) than it is to tattoo someone for having something you consider stupid. You can't know someone else's mindset on body mods or if they're going to regret something or not.

The only bad tattoo is a shit quality tattoo.

Keepig in mind thinking the tattoo itself is stupid is entirely different. Everyone has different tastes, but criticisms of these tattoos rarely include the work only, they almost always include assumptions about the owner of the work.

ackblom12

« Reply #4223 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:49 »

Basically, pick something that is not something subject to change and I'm fine with it.

That doesn't exist. I mean, unless you get a label of "Human" or some such.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4224 on: 10 Dec 2011, 11:21 »

My favorite thing is when old dudes with tattoos are like "what are ya gonna do in 60 years when you have those" and I just look at them and be like "man what did you do" or go "It'll be the future, I'll have nanobot skin."

My sister has a blue rose on her chest, we joke that when she gets older it'll be a long stemmed rose. Then we tell her that she has made terrible decisions in life, but like, not because of her tattoos, for other reasons.

ackblom12

« Reply #4225 on: 10 Dec 2011, 11:23 »

I do apologize if that came of kind of harsh, but it is something that has always irritated me about any discussion involving tattoos. It's much like the common claim that "Tattoos should have a deeper meaning", it's a nice idea and one that is certainly valid, but people who hold that belief dearly tend to think that not assigning a meaning to a tattoo somehow makes it less legit and therefore the person who got it is somehow less "worthy" of getting a tattoo and is suddenly a target of scorn for no reason other than having a different opinion on how they should decorate their body.

My favorite thing is when old dudes with tattoos are like "what are ya gonna do in 60 years when you have those" and I just look at them and be like "man what did you do" or go "It'll be the future, I'll have nanobot skin."

I want nano skin.

Papersatan

« Reply #4226 on: 10 Dec 2011, 11:26 »

I want nano skin.

Seconded.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4227 on: 10 Dec 2011, 11:40 »

I have a tattoo of a square on my back, and when I show people they are usually like "its a square?" and I go "ITS A BOX" really emphatically, and then they're like "uhh does it mean anything" and about half the time I'm like, "NOPE JUST A BOX HAHAHA" but it does actually have a meaning I just like to mess with people.
And then there's assholes who are like "hurr durr is that a target" but it doesn't even make sense because it is off to one side.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4228 on: 10 Dec 2011, 13:20 »

I think most people who are critical are thinking of the old gag where the guy has a half dozen girl's names on his bicep, each one crossed out until the last.  Sometimes, what you think is permanent isn't, and what has meaing now may lose it later. 

Of course, true art is timeless, and there's a shitload of images that make good tattoos regardless of meaning, like roses, celtic knots, dragons, etc.  not to mention things like the Litany Against Fear that jeph has. 

Worst tat I ever saw? 

The Steelers logo on the side of a biker's head in the lobby of the Pittsurgh Children's Hospital.  It was big, too - like he took off a football helmet and the logo stayed. 

Except he wasn't keeping it shaved, and he was pretty old, so it looked like it was moldy...

Papersatan

« Reply #4229 on: 10 Dec 2011, 13:43 »

See, I don't even know what is wrong with that, as long as you have the right attitude about life.
I mean, lets say my relationship with Stephen ends in an explosion of hatred and hurt feelings.  It doesn't change that it was a part of my life.  I can't erase it from having happened by removing the tattoos from my thumbs.  I don't think I would have them removed because I wouldn't want to deny the last 8 years of my life. If I really couldn't get over it maybe I would have them modified in some way but I'm not sure I would do that even.  The meaning of the tattoos wouldn't disappear, it would change.

When I was younger I really wanted a tattoo of the multiplication table on my inner left arm.  Everyone convinced me not to get it, and I had no money, so I didn't.  But looking back, I don't think it was a bad idea.  The point was I can never remember them. It would have been useful to have them, and sure I would have memorized them if they were there all the time, and not needed it any more, but I wouldn't have regretted having it.  It would have been a piece of the story of my life.  I don't want it now, but if I imagine being stuck with it on my arm it doesn't upset me.  If you are the sort of person who regrets choices they made and dwells on "how dumb" they were "back then" then you are likely to regret some tattoos. If you are the type of person who grows and changes, but it comfortable with the past, in all its awkwardness and pain, you will be fine.

Tattoos age as well as their owners, which is to say the idea that a tattoo is bad because it is wrinkly, or faded is like saying someones skin is bad because it is wrinkly or spotted.  It a common attitude, but I don't buy it.  Your body will age, getting a tattoo is modifying your body, that modification will still age, and that is as it should be.

ackblom12

« Reply #4230 on: 10 Dec 2011, 14:35 »

I think most people who are critical are thinking of the old gag where the guy has a half dozen girl's names on his bicep, each one crossed out until the last.  Sometimes, what you think is permanent isn't, and what has meaing now may lose it later. 

But part of my point is that it doesn't matter if it loses it's original meaning, it simply changes meaning over time and becomes something different. And now that I've bothered to read Kat's post, basically that.

When it comes to something like the Steelers or a brand logo, the only real issue I have with that is I'm very uncomfortable with what I see as blatant advertisement as a tattoo. It's the same reason I refuse to wear clothing with brand names in any visible location. On the other hand, I have no problems  with, and actually plan to get tattoos of some of my favortie video game characters as well as a H.P. Lovecraft inspired sleeve. If I loved football like I loved these things, I don't know if I'd have as much of a problem with it.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4231 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:14 »

Is it because you then automatically think outside the box?

No its because of a Mustard Plug song, "Box"

So, I'm going to probably end up getting my sleeve finished when I'm in Phoenix, and then putting off the D20 and Crossbrushes until I get my tax return. Tentative plans for tax return: Make armor+Get tattoos, Disregard women+Acquire currency

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4232 on: 12 Dec 2011, 01:43 »

Damn college using IE, not loading most of the images! I can't see the thumbs!

My favorite thing is when old dudes with tattoos are like "what are ya gonna do in 60 years when you have those" and I just look at them and be like "man what did you do"...

Jace, you have quickly become my favourite person in this forum. Not just because of that post, just in general I think your posts are brilliant.

Also, to jump back a bit on the collarbone area, I used to want something there but now I'm thinking lose some weight first, then maybe. I'm more interested in doing up my back.

An example of collarbone, I am totally loving PushingUpRoses' (ThatGuyWithTheGlasses reviewer) robot/bird/grenades.

Once again IE won't load the image in the preview so here's her TVTropes page with the picture on the right just incase I've accidentally uploaded dogs humping in a construction site: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PushingUpRoses

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4233 on: 12 Dec 2011, 21:20 »

Jace, you have quickly become my favourite person in this forum. Not just because of that post, just in general I think your posts are brilliant.

dogs humping in a construction site

First off, thanks! This is what I'm like in real life a lot, it isn't just some internet persona.

Second, that is gonna be my next tattoo design after the D20 and x-brushes

Papersatan

« Reply #4234 on: 12 Dec 2011, 22:12 »

dogs humping in a construction site

First off, thanks! This is what I'm like in real life a lot, it isn't just some internet persona.

Second, that is gonna be my next tattoo design after the D20 and x-brushes

Don't lie Jace.  I have met you. You are a pleasant, soft spoken 87 year old woman.  (the tattoos are real though)

ackblom12

« Reply #4235 on: 12 Dec 2011, 22:18 »

Lies! We all know there are no women on the internet.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #4236 on: 12 Dec 2011, 22:52 »

It's true. I had ovaries inserted into my abdominal cavity, then drilled, so I could talk about it on the internet and pretend I'm a real woman!
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ackblom12

« Reply #4237 on: 12 Dec 2011, 23:11 »

See? Confirmation.

Papersatan

« Reply #4238 on: 12 Dec 2011, 23:48 »

Steve and I are really the same (male) person. 

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4239 on: 12 Dec 2011, 23:58 »

Covered in ink and blood. Today focused on inner bicep and elbow. Bone-shakingly agonising. Nearly finished though.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4240 on: 13 Dec 2011, 07:28 »

Lies! We all know there are no women on the internet.

But...but...I don't want to have a penis!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4241 on: 13 Dec 2011, 07:33 »

You don't have to wear it, just keep it in the back of the sock drawer with the other useless gifts you've been given over the years...

Oh, and whatever you do, don't use it for thinking. 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4242 on: 13 Dec 2011, 09:59 »

Is it because you then automatically think outside the box?

No its because of a Mustard Plug song, "Box"

So, I'm going to probably end up getting my sleeve finished when I'm in Phoenix, and then putting off the D20 and Crossbrushes until I get my tax return. Tentative plans for tax return: Make armor+Get tattoos, Disregard women+Acquire currency
I fucking love mustard plug

bros4lyfe.png

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4243 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:10 »

Hey so you guys all want to see photos of my arms don't you? Of course you do.

Just for reference, here are some photos for the initial colour sessions that were done back in February

and

This is from the first session on Thursday last week. At this point it's peeling like crazy but we got a lot of the shading done for Archangel and a little bit on Deadpool's mask.

And this is bit of the background stuff that we did around the characters.

And here is some stuff from yesterday's work.

Bit more colour on Mr Sinister now. I'm liking where this is headed...

And here's some of the stuff we did on the inner bicep (which wrecked by the way) but looks pretty good. I'm liking the tubes that are coming out of Apocalypse's head there.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4244 on: 14 Dec 2011, 07:34 »

Gah, the inner bicep is somewhere I want done but am so sore.

Loving your arms. The colour and shading in the first picture look great so far.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #4245 on: 18 Dec 2011, 12:53 »

Those tattoos are teh sex...

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4246 on: 18 Dec 2011, 15:05 »

Here's the heart design I made for myself.

My original was darker and thinner but the tattooist said it would just come out black on my skin. The background colour is a rough analogue of my skin colour. I'm quite a pale bugger.

Looking forward to getting this.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #4247 on: 21 Dec 2011, 04:50 »

Re: What will it look like when you're 60?

If how your tattoos look is the biggest concern you have when you're 60 then you're doing pretty damn well.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4248 on: 21 Dec 2011, 04:53 »

My tattoos are of no concern to me at age 65, but they look just the same as they always did (but then, they're only dots tattooed onto my front and back for aligning the radiotherapy machine when I was being treated for cancer).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4249 on: 21 Dec 2011, 16:08 »

Paul,

Had you ever seen this? 

alt text: I calculate that the electrons in radiation therapy hit you at 99.8% of the speed of light, and the beam used in a 90-second gamma ray therapy session could, if fired with less precision, kill a horse (they did not let me test this).
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 97   Go Up