THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 07 Jun 2024, 16:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 794600 times)

Zingoleb

Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #4250 on: 21 Dec 2011, 16:41 »

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4251 on: 21 Dec 2011, 17:09 »

That comic kind of annoys me, mainly because while barbed wire bicep tattoos are clearly pretty lame (along with other boring flash stuff), it's kind of adding to this false idea that some tattoos are more worthy than others. Obviously there are good tattoos and bad tattoos in terms of the quality of the work but acting like it's ok to harangue people based on decisions they've made about their own bodies seems counter-productive to me.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4252 on: 21 Dec 2011, 20:15 »

*Insert video from X-Men: The Last Stand of Magneto explaining why he has no tattoos*

I mean, some people have tattoos because they want them and some have them for other reasons. One reason really isn't better than the other.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4253 on: 22 Dec 2011, 00:43 »

Not a good XKCD; the alt text too.  If the bullet that went in your leg had gone in your heart it would have killed you too - so what?  And the intensity of radiotherapy is critical - if you spread it out with less precision, it would do less damage because it would no longer reach the effective dose; so kill a horse? (Yes, I use to sell a software package for planning radiotherapy, so I learnt a bit about it.)

And my dots are not "worthy".  They were pragmatic; but they may also have contributed in a small way to the breakdown of my first marriage (she saw them as a constant reminder that I was now in her view "damaged goods", as I had lost one testis to the cancer).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zingoleb

« Reply #4254 on: 22 Dec 2011, 00:43 »

I've been thinking, and I object to the use of 'der' in  naming this thread. Tattoos don't have to be inherently masculine! In fact, the word 'tattoo' is a feminine noun in German. So there!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4255 on: 22 Dec 2011, 00:56 »

Curiously, this is by far the oldest active thread here (6 years), and was started by someone whose account in the forum no longer even exists.  Do you want me to change the title, then?  Or start a new thread?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zingoleb

« Reply #4256 on: 22 Dec 2011, 01:17 »

Oh goodness, no, then I couldn't be nitpicky.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4257 on: 22 Dec 2011, 01:41 »

That comic kind of annoys me, mainly because while barbed wire bicep tattoos are clearly pretty lame (along with other boring flash stuff), it's kind of adding to this false idea that some tattoos are more worthy than others. Obviously there are good tattoos and bad tattoos in terms of the quality of the work but acting like it's ok to harangue people based on decisions they've made about their own bodies seems counter-productive to me.

I dunno, I just thought it was funny, more for the reaction of the bicep guy than anything else.  I should admit that I'm unadorned, and don't really understand the appeal of body art/modification.  I don't even really have jewelry with the exception of a couple of deeply meaningful/useful items (wedding band, school ring, watch, and one small gold hoop earring).  Part of why I follow this thread is to try and understand it a little more (oh, and thank you all for the education!).  I still think though, that the only type of tatoo I'd ever get is a tattoo of necessity. 

Oh goodness, no, then I couldn't be nitpicky.

I think I love you. 

That's OK, right?  It's platonic...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zingoleb

« Reply #4258 on: 22 Dec 2011, 02:57 »

I'm okay with that, as long as you don't get my name tattooed on you.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #4259 on: 22 Dec 2011, 06:00 »

^

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4260 on: 22 Dec 2011, 10:42 »

Oh god, now I want a heart with "[Insert name here]" in it! 

Well, no, not really...

Anybody see this the other day? 

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #4261 on: 25 Dec 2011, 08:42 »

Oh god, now I want a heart with "[Insert name here]" in it!

In case you didn't know, that's Steve-O's butt tattoo.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4262 on: 25 Dec 2011, 20:03 »

I've been thinking, and I object to the use of 'der' in  naming this thread. Tattoos don't have to be inherently masculine! In fact, the word 'tattoo' is a feminine noun in German. So there!
Wouldn't it matter what gender "thread" is since it is the subject of that phrase and "tattoo" is discribing it?
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Zingoleb

« Reply #4263 on: 25 Dec 2011, 22:06 »

I actually considered this! But if I looked up thread I'd be looking up the sewing thread kinda thread, and I'd have to go join some English/German forum and ask for help and, well, effort.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4264 on: 26 Dec 2011, 06:35 »

Well, the only women who get tattoos are sluts and bulldykes, so what does it even matter.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4265 on: 26 Dec 2011, 06:57 »

I've seen a surprising uptick in the last two years or so in the number of freshman (especially fresh women...) who are coming to college with tatoos already well healed, meaning they probably got hem in HS. 

This seems weird to me. 

And it's across the socioeconomic spectrum.  I know that tattoos are more socially acceptable than they were just a couple of years ago, but it seems like these kids must be getting them before they turn 18, which usually means parental permission (or lying about your age).  Or is that even an issue? 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4266 on: 26 Dec 2011, 07:03 »

I remember lots of people in HS having tattoos. Basically unless they had a parent who didn't care (which was very rare), they either found someone who did tattoos out of their home or had fake IDs. It was a rebellion thing I guess? I don't know. But if they got tattoos out of someone's house, believe me, they were not that great in terms of quality.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4267 on: 26 Dec 2011, 07:52 »

Yeah I can count the number of pre-18 tattoos I've seen that were good on no hands.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4268 on: 26 Dec 2011, 09:44 »

I've seen a few (like less than 3) decent ones, but they fortunately had 1. good taste and 2. cool parents. The rest were poorly done or were off of a poster they saw in the parlor and therefore something stupid like Tweety Bird. (If you like the posters, that's fine, I've seen some cool vintage tattoo posters*, but I'm sorry, I fucking hate Tweety Bird** tattoos and on older women they look ridiculous.)

*At the art store I used to work at, we also had a framer, and a local tattoo artist came in once and had some vintage tattoo posters framed. I think they were from the 40s and the artwork was just awesome. I kind of wanted to steal them and put them in my house.

**I do not hate all cartoon or illustration tattoos, but most of the ones I've seen around the city I live in just seem so thoughtless and tacky. And I'm talking about the tramp stamp moms walking around Walmart, which many of the people I went to high school with probably are now.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #4269 on: 26 Dec 2011, 11:28 »

A close friend of mine got a tattoo our senior year of high school but she had just turned 18, so it is possible that a few of the students you're seeing actually got them done legally. Naturally.....this friend of mine got a coverup for that one haha

i got my first 2 when I was 20. they're definitely more cutesy than i might choose for myself now, but they are both really meaningful.

this was my first-

on my upper left bicep, almost shoulder. sorry for the crappy quality. it definitely needs a touchup, but it's not nearly as bad as this picture makes it look  :-P

second (about 15 minutes after the first)-

on my right side

i've averaged about 1 new one a year, this is the third-

on the inside of my left ankle

fourth, and first with my current artist (who i will more than likely be going to for any and all future ones)

on my left shoulder

fifth (and technically sixth as well- got 2 of these- done at the ends of both collarbones)

seventh-

aaand eighth-

getting this one next month on my calf. pretend that it's bright red....the black is done on tracing paper because i didn't feel like wasting time drawing the asterisk when i could just print one as a reference....

after the asterisk, im gonna work on touching up the older ones, maybe altering them a bit and then attaching the small star, ladybug/flower and the raindrop into a quarter sleeve-ish thing.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4270 on: 26 Dec 2011, 12:26 »

A close friend of mine got a tattoo our senior year of high school but she had just turned 18, so it is possible that a few of the students you're seeing actually got them done legally.

Not in my case. I mean, this was about 10 years ago, but I remember talking to a group of girls (who were >18 at this point) talking about how they got their tattoos in some dude's kitchen. Yes, high schoolers can be 18+, but not when you're a sophomore and rarely when you're a junior.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4271 on: 26 Dec 2011, 13:46 »

...aaand eighth-

(image)

getting this one next month on my calf. pretend that it's bright red....the black is done on tracing paper because i didn't feel like wasting time drawing the asterisk when i could just print one as a reference....

after the asterisk, im gonna work on touching up the older ones, maybe altering them a bit and then attaching the small star, ladybug/flower and the raindrop into a quarter sleeve-ish thing.

Aren't asterisks usually 6-pointed?  * <-- this one is, and I see 5 pointed ones in some typefaces (Times New Roman), but I don't recall seeing 8-pointed ones. 

That being said, they're all really pretty.  I like the incorporation of the ladybugs with flowers and the like to make a larger scene. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4272 on: 26 Dec 2011, 15:38 »

Quote from: Wikipedia
In English, an asterisk is usually five-pointed in sans-serif typefaces, six-pointed in serif typefaces, and six- or eight-pointed when handwritten. [...] The original shape was seven-armed,[citation needed]

lepetitfromage

« Reply #4273 on: 26 Dec 2011, 18:52 »

Yep, a lot of them have less points. But I'm getting the Red Hot Chili Peppers logo.  :-) And thanks!

A close friend of mine got a tattoo our senior year of high school but she had just turned 18, so it is possible that a few of the students you're seeing actually got them done legally.

Not in my case. I mean, this was about 10 years ago, but I remember talking to a group of girls (who were >18 at this point) talking about how they got their tattoos in some dude's kitchen. Yes, high schoolers can be 18+, but not when you're a sophomore and rarely when you're a junior.

i know a lot of shops in my area have gotten a lot stricter on this, but i'm sure it definitely depends on location. And whether or not you're actually going to a shop or just getting one at the kitchen table. Urgh....I know teenagers do dumb things (and i've definitely done my share) but even as a kid i don't think i could have done that- even if I had a good friend that could come to my house and ink me. All the tattoo shops I've used have been pristine...and i don't care how clean someone's house is, it's just not the same. Am i thinking too far into this? Probably, but i've read way too many horror stories about tattoos done in unsanitary environments.  :|

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4274 on: 27 Dec 2011, 06:10 »

Well, I should probably point out that my high school was pretty ghetto and is even more so now from what I've heard, so I don't think these kids really cared. At least they didn't try to do it themselves.

Zingoleb

« Reply #4275 on: 27 Dec 2011, 06:14 »

The only person I know who did their own tattoo is, interestingly enough, my father. According to him, he wrapped thread around a needle, soaked it in blue dye, and kept jabbing himself until the design was complete. It was rather simple, so it actually doesn't look that bad (he did a peace sign on his arm - used a half dollar do the initial circle), but I still couldn't ever  imagine doing that to myself.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4276 on: 27 Dec 2011, 11:47 »

There were probably substances other than just blue dye involved...

But yeah, I can't imagine self-tattooing is a common occurrence. 

Oh, wait, the internet says I'm wrong...

ackblom12

« Reply #4277 on: 28 Dec 2011, 22:11 »

It's the easiest and least dangerous to other people way to start learning before you get a apprenticeship! Or if you are a professional already, as long as you can reach your parts properly, it's probably gonna turn out fine. Also some personal reasons for it I assume.

ackblom12

« Reply #4278 on: 28 Dec 2011, 22:13 »

Also this. This right here so very much.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4279 on: 29 Dec 2011, 01:45 »

Yeah... I posted that XKCD comic back in August when I was pissed-off about a tattoo-related thing. After I'd actually thought about it, I was ashamed of myself, but I left it up in case someone wanted to have a go at me over it, and then I forgot. Sorry.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #4280 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:52 »

I still like the strip even though I disagree with it.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4281 on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:08 »

Having a think about it, if/when I lose my not insignificant paunch, Imma celebrate with a big dead tree up my stomach, onto my chest with the branches extending over my shoulders. Yeeeeah.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4282 on: 11 Jan 2012, 04:24 »

I've got an idea for a tattoo of my old dog but I'm not sure how to go about this. Ideally it would be some kind of more cartoon-y rather than realistic depiction and I want to have a go at drawing it but I'm not very good at drawing animals. Plus any styles I've seen so far haven't stood out to me. Still like the idea though. For placement I'm thinking small on my calf, if I want to get more in the same vain later in the same area. Just wanted to share the new idea excited period!

Zingoleb

« Reply #4283 on: 11 Jan 2012, 05:50 »

I've really been wanting to get sheet music tattooed on me lately. I'm still trying to figure out the placement as I want it, but I know which song I want (The Song of Storms).

Also Jimmy, I really really like that idea.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #4284 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:41 »

Curiously, this is by far the oldest active thread here (6 years), and was started by someone whose account in the forum no longer even exists

Aw, Digs. :( </3
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4285 on: 11 Jan 2012, 15:38 »

A couple of years ago est/Ben deleted all accounts which had not been logged on to for three years (also those with zero posts and no logon for one year) - Digs will have been lost in that cleanout.  Actually, I did a similar cleanout myself a couple of days ago, but there were surprisingly few accounts in the not logged in for three years category (lots in the other, about a third of all accounts existing - but they were largely failed spammers)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4286 on: 11 Jan 2012, 16:46 »

I wonder whether that is to do with the registration hiatus we had? When was that? I don't think it was 3 years ago actually so maybe not.

Oh and to answer a very long-ago question, I asked a german-speaking friend and the correct gender for Thread in the title is indeed der.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

lepetitfromage

« Reply #4287 on: 16 Jan 2012, 09:32 »

Gah....I'm freaking out a bit right now. One of my older tattoos (probably around 4-5 years) has swelled a bit. I can feel my skin raised where there is ink. I read that this can be from aggravating the skin....all I did was shave my legs lol

Has this happened to anyone before? Is there any type of cream I can put on it to soothe it a little? It itched a tiny bit at first but doesn't anymore. I'm just worried because I've never had any problems like this before. Thoughts?

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4288 on: 16 Jan 2012, 18:36 »

My back (from 4 years ago) is still raised but that's probably because i went to a shitty butcher of an artist. I also have one on my arm that does this occasionally but that's only 2 or 3 years old. It's not a big deal though, your tattoos are basically scars, sometimes they'll act up a little bit but I've never heard of a healed tattoo giving anyone significant trouble.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #4289 on: 17 Jan 2012, 07:48 »

It was really bizarre! It's definitely gone down now but it was puffy for at least 5-6 hours. I've never had any other scars do that so it kinda blew my mindhole a bit. (I won't lie though....it was really fun to touch it.)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4290 on: 01 Feb 2012, 20:39 »

New tattoo! Nat 20!
Yes the numbers are correct.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #4291 on: 02 Feb 2012, 07:40 »

Nerd.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #4292 on: 02 Feb 2012, 08:24 »

Just wait till I get my Euler's identity on my arm to call someone nerd.  :-D

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4293 on: 02 Feb 2012, 08:59 »

Nerd.
This isn't even the first nerdy tattoo I have. Just the most blatant one.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #4294 on: 02 Feb 2012, 09:04 »

It makes me miss the Skype DnD sessions.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #4295 on: 02 Feb 2012, 10:04 »

Oh I forgot to comment about the tattoo... I loved the colors ^_^

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4296 on: 02 Feb 2012, 12:29 »

It makes me miss the Skype DnD sessions.
Wait, raping strike?
Ohhhh reaping strike.

I'm super happy with the colors too! looking at it again today it is super good combo.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4297 on: 27 Mar 2012, 19:55 »

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #4298 on: 28 Mar 2012, 07:11 »

That... is... SPECTACULAR. Holy cow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4299 on: 28 Mar 2012, 11:54 »

Spectacular and nerdy as hell, which is obviously one of the most winning combinations.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 97   Go Up