THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 07 Jun 2024, 11:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 794402 times)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #4300 on: 03 Apr 2012, 05:59 »

....Where do those knights come from?

* Expecting nerd rage *

ackblom12

« Reply #4301 on: 03 Apr 2012, 06:17 »

Warhammer Fantasy Battle

They are Bretons!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #4302 on: 03 Apr 2012, 13:17 »

Aaaah I see, well... I'm a very casual gamer and I know very little about games like Warhammer (know them by name though) so I guess I have a free pass on ignorance this time :P

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4303 on: 03 Apr 2012, 17:02 »

There's two new tattoo places in my town. Heard nothing about one. The other has a Facebook page and I'm looking through the photos. Not sure if tattoo artist is mediocre or tattoo client's designs are mediocre.  :meh:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4304 on: 04 Apr 2012, 12:32 »

As a generality, a mediocre artist makes a mediocrity of even great designs.  A great artist will find something to shine with in even a mediocre design. 

YMMV. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ackblom12

« Reply #4305 on: 05 Apr 2012, 03:34 »

That is really shitty quality. I mean, it's not scratcher quality, but it's pretty damn close.

Of course looking at the fingers, it may be scratcher levels of bad.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4306 on: 05 Apr 2012, 03:39 »

Is it considered "acceptable" to ask for a freehand drawing at a tattoo artist or will that just make you look like you watch too much Miami Ink? The only tattoos I've ever really, really liked have been freehand.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #4307 on: 05 Apr 2012, 05:55 »

Yeahhhh, those fingers look really wonky. If I were a good tattoo artist, I'd have a hard time not offering to fix them before they were inked. No contrast, the arm is melting into the body, they're doing that bulbous forehead thing. The more I look at it the more errors I find. And the wings kinda look like waves. Plus, I just keep seeing station's holodong lmao.

At first glance it's just cutesy and seems like something someone could walk in with and say "I want this" but a decent artist would probably try to explain why it needs to be tweaked.

And idontunderstand- I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask for something freehand as long as you have a general direction. Instead of just going in and saying "make whatever you want" it might be wise to give them subject matter and see where it takes them. Tattoos are usually really personal things so your artist might want to get a feel more for what you're really looking for before they do it. It's definitely harder to create something for someone if you have no framework whatsoever. On the other hand, you just could say you want a great piece of art and that you'll be happy with anything. But you have to ask yourself if that would really be the case. It shows the artist that you REALLY have faith in them. Which you should definitely have if you're asking for something like that. I love my artist and I've been going to him for years now, but I'm just too particular to do that.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4308 on: 05 Apr 2012, 14:01 »

For my PARTY HARD tattoo I just went in with a basic idea and my artist drew it on with sharpies before doing the ink, it came out great too.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #4309 on: 05 Apr 2012, 16:45 »

Ahhh, i was thinking like, legitimately doing a freehand piece with a tattoo machine, no prior sketches, just go with the flow sort of thing. Sharpies make sense.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4310 on: 05 Apr 2012, 18:00 »

Freehand with a tattoo gun is just... its a pretty bad idea.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4311 on: 05 Apr 2012, 19:20 »

Warhammer Fantasy Battle They are Bretons!
Ah... If you hadn't said so, I'd just have thought "European mediaeval knights"...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4312 on: 05 Apr 2012, 21:02 »

Warhammer Fantasy Battle They are Bretons!
Ah... If you hadn't said so, I'd just have thought "European mediaeval knights"...

Guess what Warhammer Fantasy Bretons are based on

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4313 on: 06 Apr 2012, 01:23 »

Well... on Miami Ink (*punching myself*) they usually take a motif the artists is known for (like Ami always does the Koi fish), which usually turns out better than just copying a prepared picture (in my opinion). And freehand doesn't necessarily mean that they start drawing directly on the skin, they use some kind of pen beforehand to sketch it out on the skin.

But yeah, I wouldn't ask for it without any prior experience with the artist.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #4314 on: 06 Apr 2012, 01:31 »

What's so bad about Miami Ink?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #4315 on: 06 Apr 2012, 02:56 »

I was going to ask the same thing and the best answer I can think of is "it's just too mainstream lolz"

lepetitfromage

« Reply #4316 on: 06 Apr 2012, 07:11 »

Some of their clients are ridiculously annoying (but then again, that's life). I think they're all amazing artists whether they're being filmed or not. I'm fiercely loyal to my dude but I would get tattooed by Ami in a heartbeat.

And the fact that he's quite a handsome fellow doesn't hurt either....

ackblom12

« Reply #4317 on: 06 Apr 2012, 07:13 »

I find it pretty okay to hate reality television in all of it's docudrama forms.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4318 on: 06 Apr 2012, 07:20 »

I find it pretty okay to hate reality television in all of it's docudrama forms.
It's a good rule of thumb.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ackblom12

« Reply #4319 on: 06 Apr 2012, 07:34 »

Also, to be fair, part of what I dislike about these kind of shows have to do with the basic formula of Reality Television, so it falls into what I mentioned. The fact is, the runnings of a tattoo shop, or any shop at all really, are not that interesting. They have to make a story out of it and one of the easiest ways to push interest is to kind of turn the business into a myth of some sort. One of the biggest being dramatizing it and another is pushing the idea that "most" individual tattoos have some significant meaning to the person getting it. It reinforces many already existing stereotypes and creates more.

To be perfectly fair to Miami Ink, it was far better than it's two competitors, Miami Ink Inked and LA Ink. Inked was nothing but drama and had some pretty shitty people in the shop and LA Ink had a focus on a lot of horribleness. Kat Von D and her employees were absolutely fantastic tattoo artist and I was happy to see a show focus on female artists, but she was already a bit of a "big personality" and promptly turned into a fame beast within a season or two. It was pretty horrifying seeing episodes where she would do things like take shots of tequila before starting a tattoo.

The plus side is more people got introduced to the culture, but I feel like reality TV was about the worst way of doing it.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2012, 07:53 by ackblom12 »

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4320 on: 06 Apr 2012, 12:32 »

I have nothing against Miami Ink and I didn't say there's anything wrong with it. I just realize its a plain silly reality show and I realize that lots of tattoo enthusiasts hate it, for reasons I won't go into. Ami is something of a genius though, as well as some other artists featured on that show.

/end of self-righteous disclaimer!  :mrgreen:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #4321 on: 21 Apr 2012, 09:21 »

Hey people! I haven't been here for a while. I got pierced last week.

8g conches. I am in love.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4322 on: 23 Apr 2012, 21:43 »

Re: Miami Ink, I was reading a tattoo magazine a while ago and I came upon an article outlining why it's not a great show. A lot of it came down to health concerns, such as the fact that the guys tend to wear big thick watches that don't get sterilized while they tattoo people, the incredibly shitty way they treated the apprentice and the fact that the tattooing area of the shop had hardwood floors which apparently nigh-impossible to properly sterilize. Another problem with it is the boring tattoos they put on the show. "Yeah I want like a butterfly to represent my dead aunt because she was, like, totally a free spirit." "I wanted this koi fish because it's just so beautiful and it symbolises like, new beginnings and stuff." When I go see my tattooist occasionally the receptionist will call out to the artists "hey who wants to do a butterfly/tribal/koi fish" and there is usually a collective groan and general muttering about predictable, boring tattoos.

Also looks like I'm going to be getting some more colour done at the end of May. I'm so excited but man, I'm going to need to start planning what I want next. Once I finish my sleeves I'll have to start mapping out what I'm going to get to maximise on the limited skin I have available.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #4323 on: 24 Apr 2012, 00:39 »

There is a huge market for boring, see McD., so is it really surprising or even bad that a show that is supposed to be reality-based shows some boring things next to a lot of cool things?

The health things ... yeah, that is bad.

Also: Ami does tend to be sucky to his apprentices. I sure hope that's not the standard.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4324 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:57 »

I've never watched the show, not a fan of reality things in general but it would be nice to talk to some tattoo artists. Before the really old tattoo place closed down I used to go in and just chat to them about my and their ideas. Was fun.

Also the new tattoo place I was telling you about and showed the photo of the wonky finger wing lady he did: It's closed down.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #4325 on: 03 Jun 2012, 20:47 »

Got this one done about a month before I deployed. Still trying to think of something to put in the middle.

That's about the only decent shot of my shoulder tattoo that I can find. I got it done close to about five years ago

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4326 on: 03 Jun 2012, 21:06 »

Whatever you do, please do NOT get the words "TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS" placed in the middle of that outline.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Nikolai

« Reply #4327 on: 03 Jun 2012, 21:18 »

Oh good god, no. I'm a Blackhawks fan. Either way, I don't love any sport or team enough to get something permanent representing them. That's what shirts and jerseys are for.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4328 on: 04 Jun 2012, 01:21 »

Tell it to the guy I saw with the Steelers logo on the side of his shaved head, right where it would be if he were wearing a helmet.  Yeah, it was in Pittsburgh, but come on

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4329 on: 04 Jun 2012, 12:10 »

There's a guy in my work with a soccer football tattoo on his forearm for Liverpool. It's meant to say LFC but the cursive font used made it look like RTF.

Nikolai

« Reply #4330 on: 04 Jun 2012, 13:20 »

One of the guys in my platoon has his name tattooed on his arm. It's supposed to say "HILL" but he did a lowercase 'h' because he thought the uppercase version looked retarded. Now it just looks like "nill". I'll refrain from commenting on that until someone else pokes fun at it.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #4331 on: 05 Jun 2012, 05:41 »

I never really understood the idea of tattooing your own name on yourself. It kind of reminds me of back when I was in middle school and I felt the urge to put my name on EVERYTHING.

(seriously...everything- I actually carved it into my dresser)

Nikolai

« Reply #4332 on: 05 Jun 2012, 05:52 »

I think it's for self-identification after nights of extreme drunken revelry. Or just in case you wind up like Jason Bourne.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #4333 on: 05 Jun 2012, 05:55 »

Lol, that could be it.....I always loved that joke about people getting those so they don't forget their own name, but I suppose there actually might be some validity to it  :-P

Nikolai

« Reply #4334 on: 05 Jun 2012, 06:10 »

I wouldn't put it past my coworker. His tats are a constant source of mockery for those of us with ink. Every time he tries to talk shit on me for having a Canadian tattoo, I ask him what the significance of the mudflap girl on his forearm and barbed wire band on his bicep are. I suspect they're a rite of passage in Arkansas.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4335 on: 05 Jun 2012, 13:28 »

Someone once told me the interrobang on my arm "looks like it has no meaning". Well, of course, it looks meaningless to you. It's a symbol you didn't know the meaning of until I told you. Should I have got, "I consider myself a curious person." instead?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4336 on: 05 Jun 2012, 13:55 »

No, you should have got four little stars, or a mermaid, or a Japanese character. Those are much more meaningful.  :roll:
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ackblom12

« Reply #4337 on: 05 Jun 2012, 14:15 »

Oh dear lord people are we getting into "these tattoos are shit because they are not meaningful enough" again?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4338 on: 05 Jun 2012, 14:35 »

I have no objection to anyone getting any tattoo they choose, meaningful or not. But it sounds like Welu was getting criticised for not having a typical tattoo that people could recognise, which is just a silly reason to criticise someone.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4339 on: 05 Jun 2012, 14:49 »

Her obscure tattoos OBVIOUSLY make her a tattoo hipster.  :mrgreen:

Not every little thing has to have meaning. Maybe it just looks nice. Who cares. You want it on your body, that's really all that matters. Hopefully if it's a word or phrase, it's spelled correctly and means what you think it means (such as mistakes with kanji, etc.  - get the foreign language double checked).
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4340 on: 05 Jun 2012, 17:28 »

Someone once told me the interrobang on my arm "looks like it has no meaning". Well, of course, it looks meaningless to you. It's a symbol you didn't know the meaning of until I told you.
When my then teenage daughter wanted a tattoo, she persuaded her mother to go along and get one as well. Of course, they tried to persuade me. I couldn't think of anything I wanted on my body. I'd used Redball for something of other, but that didn't have that much meaning for me.
But I like the interrobang idea. Never thought of it before. 

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4341 on: 05 Jun 2012, 19:13 »

Her obscure tattoos OBVIOUSLY make her a tattoo hipster.  :mrgreen:

Not every little thing has to have meaning. Maybe it just looks nice. Who cares. You want it on your body, that's really all that matters. Hopefully if it's a word or phrase, it's spelled correctly and means what you think it means (such as mistakes with kanji, etc.  - get the foreign language double checked).

Thankfully, if I ever get a tattoo, and if it happens to be Kanji (or kana, for that matter), I can do my own checking.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4342 on: 05 Jun 2012, 19:34 »

I have 11 tattoos that each have deep meaning, I'm gonna explain them again here.
Scorpion: Born in early november. Scorpio
Snake: Born in the year of the earth snake. 1989
Exclamation Point: Just an exclamation point, everything is exciting I guess?
Question Mark: It is over my heart, as some cute lady at the river pointed out that one day, really its just a question mark.
Beatles Lyrics: Some lyrics from The End by the Beatles because my mom listened to them a lot and the lyrics resonated with me.
Salamander Crest: Warhammer 40k Space Marine chapter, they are bro-tier.
Box: youtube for Mustard Plug, Box
Oblio and Arrow: Characters from The Point, 1971. Movie from which my mom sang songs to me and my sister when we were little. My sister has another character, The Pointed Man
Party Hard Rib Carving: Andrew WK, Party Hard, etc etc
D20 and paintbrushes: I've gamed for around half my life and have painted miniatures for over a third of it with no intent to stop.
Bretonnian Knight Sleeve: FUCKIN KNIGHTS AND SHIT BADASS. Also because of Warhammer and how much I love medieval fantasy.

Also pretty sure that pictures of all of them are in this thread over the past 4 years. I've never gone more than a year without getting a tattoo.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4343 on: 06 Jun 2012, 01:04 »

I didn't mean to say all tattoos have to be OMGDEEP or even OMGSOORIGINAL. The heart on my shoulder was more for the design than meaning, although it has a meaning too. :laugh: That was just one of those criticisms that barely bothered me at first and then got under my skin the more I thought about it. By the time it really annoyed me it was too late to say, "Hey. Screw you!" to them. Don't want to restart a discussion that's been done to death already.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4344 on: 06 Jun 2012, 01:09 »

Oh I know, I just like talkin about my tattoos and how all of them kind of have meaning but I also got because I think they are fun and cool looking and I have better self confidence having tattoos than not. I will take my shirt off at the drop of a hat now to show off my ink.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4345 on: 06 Jun 2012, 01:17 »

I wanna go look through the thread for your tattoos now.

I feel the same about more self-confidence by having tattoos. I like to think they're more interesting to look, therefore distracting from the rest of myself.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #4346 on: 11 Jun 2012, 23:53 »

In small script, upside down at the base of the spine; 

"Please return to original upright position"

No, no, I haven't gotten it, it's just a silly idea I had.  Sorry. 

lepetitfromage

« Reply #4347 on: 12 Jun 2012, 06:01 »

Ha!

How about "This Side Up", complete with directional arrow?  :-D

I enjoy witty tattoos.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #4348 on: 16 Jun 2012, 03:21 »

This isn't my tattoo; it's my friend's, but it's so cool I felt the need to share it and I'm sure she won't mind:

Zingoleb

« Reply #4349 on: 16 Jun 2012, 18:32 »

Tell it to the guy I saw with the Steelers logo on the side of his shaved head, right where it would be if he were wearing a helmet.  Yeah, it was in Pittsburgh, but come on.

yeah but at least if he ever tires of it he can like grow his hair out to cover it up (one of my housemates is getting "MANHATE" tattooed into the side of their shaved head which I'd normally be against but it's in a place normally covered by hair so they can always cover it up again if need be!)
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 97   Go Up